PDA

View Full Version : Let's not pat ourselves in the back

Sauron
April 13, 2006, 02:36 AM
During the post-lunch session today, Atahar was wondering from the commentary box why the players have their shoulders hung low.

Everyone (except Ash) was looking sad and angry. And I share their emotions.

I have been a consistent supporter of Ash. But seeing him laughing and joking around during the last few overs while Shahadat and Mashrafee were toiling for pride, made me think that it is now time to make Ash sit out a few matches.

We had the Aussies and let them go.

We should be proud. But we should not be content with this "honorable loss".

I hope and pray that our players carry over this feeling of disappointment and anger to the 2nd test. I am happy that our team is not leaving the field smiling, happy and content.

And I hope that Atahar and the likes of him who are wondering why they are disappointed and sad, please think a little more before patting ourselves in the back.

Looking forward to an even harder fight in the second test.

billah
April 13, 2006, 02:44 AM
Sauron: I think I can squarely blame the negative mindframe on the "king of give-up" attitude Bashar. He gave up on the third day.

Sauron
April 13, 2006, 02:53 AM
I agree with you that Bashar was not particularly inspiring in his captaincy ... and he really never is. But the responsibility for the second innings snafu falls on Pilot, Aftab, Ash and Nafees as well.

By the way - I am not trying to find faults and point fingures.

Main thing - I am just glad that our players did not feel as happy as Atahar did. I am happy that they are angry and sad. They made mistakes and they are mad at themselves for that. They are developing that hunger for success. Thumbs up for our team. And thumbs down for happy campers like Atahar.

jeesh
April 13, 2006, 02:57 AM
There was a time when we couldnt get enough runs in our first innings to put up fights against oppositions. However over the years we have followed up with our good first innings performances with second innings performances. I feel had the tail done wagged in first innings, and middle order provide some resistance we could have easily had a lead over 350 which would make life very difficult for Australia.
Ne way their effort is good enough! Congratulations Tigers!

IanW
April 13, 2006, 03:04 AM
Considering the gutless and defeatist attitude displayed by too many on this forum, this thread should die a quiet death.

Now.

Ian Whitchurch

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 03:10 AM
Sauron: I think I can squarely blame the negative mindframe on the "king of give-up" attitude Bashar. He gave up on the third day.

Thanks Billah for finding out the most appropriate title for our beloved captain Bashar . 'King of give-up'

Mr-Cricket
April 13, 2006, 03:13 AM
I'm trying my best to not be critical here, we played outstanding cricket for most of this match. But, honestly, like billah said, Bashar's attitude leaves alot to be desired. Almost everytime the camera focused on him, in the last two days, he had a downcast face, and just did not have the motivation and 'never-say-die' spirit that we need in a captain. This is not to take anything away from his batting - he is clearly the best Bangladeshi to have played the game. But you need an inspirational leader, that will get you over the line in such tight situations. That will keep you focused, even when you are in complete control of the game. We saw what can happen when our tails are up, never more so than the last 10 overs of last night - Rafique, Enamul, etc were electric. But you need a leader that can keep the players on their toes for a full 5 days (as difficult as that is). Bashar cannot. Still, he probably has one of the hardest jobs in the Cricket world, and I do not envy him. He can only learn from this (However painful that may be for him).

As a sidenote, how many singles did we let through in both Australian innings? The fielders looked like they were asleep! The singles really killed us. Never more so than when Ponting and Hayden were at the crease - a left and right hand combination. Mortaza took a long time to adjust his line to both batsman - often drifting the ball down leg-side to give away easy runs. What is more disapointing is that we could not do the same when we were in a rut - you need someone that can keep the scoreboard ticking. With us, its either a 4, or a block sometimes. Lets face it, we're not the best when it comes to stealing quick singles.

Nevertheless, we still have alot to be proud of. Rafique bowled like the champion that he is. Enamul was a more than worthy bowling partner. Shahadat - his efforts have really gone unnoticed I think. He bowled his heart out, had the courage to stand up to the Aussie batsman, look them in the eye, and tell them - show some respect - I'm Bangladeshi. He really bowled well, and will only get better with age. I'll cop criticism for saying this, but Mashrafee let me down with the ball. The start of every spell would see the customary short ball, or one drifting down leg side. We just cannot afford this from a bowler of his magnitude. He needs to work on this (No doubt he is a class bowler). The biggest disapointment was that we did not even experiment bowling around the wicket to the left handed batsman with our quicks. Lee bowled Nafees with a pearler around the wicket. We have to learn to have some variety in our bowling, and I think that's what Shahadat brings.

I really hope we retain an unchanged line-up for the next game. Ashraful really needs to show more respect to the opposition. Aftab doesn't strike me as a test batsman, but hey, I'm willing to give him a chance - he did play very well in that second test against England last year. Nafees batted beautifully, and I rate Rajin but he was unlucky in both innings (soft dismissal after 5 hour marathon in first, had to go for hit in second after everyone got out around him - and paid the price - again, another soft dismissal). Bad luck Bangladesh. You have done us proud. I pray that you learn from your mistakes.

Sauron
April 16, 2006, 01:15 AM
Everyone (except Ash) was looking sad and angry. And I share their emotions.

I have been a consistent supporter of Ash. But seeing him laughing and joking around during the last few overs while Shahadat and Mashrafee were toiling for pride, made me think that it is now time to make Ash sit out a few matches.

T2D1 - Ash attempted the stupidest shot ever improvised. He should have sat this one out.

ammark
April 16, 2006, 03:41 AM
T2D1 - Ash attempted the stupidest shot ever improvised. He should have sat this one out.

Rightly said. Sadly everyone's still dreamy eyed about what he is capable of, and not what he actually does. Why would he need to improvise in a test match in the first place? Bad balls will always come!

AsifTheManRahman
April 16, 2006, 07:21 AM
i'd like to see how he fares in the second inning. after all, he's scored a century just two matches ago.

but then again, that doesn't warrant the kind of immaturity he's been showing since.

Hatebreed
April 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
Shobai Allah ke dhonnobad den BanglaCricket ekta civilised forum karon ei muhurte ami moteu shobbho achoron korar proyojon bodh korchhi na. Ekhon shudhu etai bolbo ei Ashrafool [] jodi 2nd inning-e bhalo na khele, tar matha ami bhenge felbo jodi konodin shamne pai. Ei [] Ashrafool, Golla, Bashar shob gulare lathi mere dol theke ber kore deuwa uchit!

edit: raager mathay beshi bole fellam.

khalifa
April 16, 2006, 08:18 AM
Rightly said. Sadly everyone's still dreamy eyed about what he is capable of, and not what he actually does. Why would he need to improvise in a test match in the first place? Bad balls will always come!

I seriously doubt if this person called Asharaful has any intelligence whatsoever, let alone cricketing senses. The way he got out today (T2D1), looked like retarded to me :E

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 08:46 AM
Shobai Allah ke dhonnobad den BanglaCricket ekta civilised forum karon ei muhurte ami moteu shobbho achoron korar proyojon bodh korchhi na. Ekhon shudhu etai bolbo ei Ashrafool [] jodi 2nd inning-e bhalo na khele, tar matha ami bhenge felbo jodi konodin shamne pai. Ei [] Ashrafool, Golla, Bashar shob gulare lathi mere dol theke ber kore deuwa uchit!

edit: raager mathay beshi bole fellam.
i expressed my views on Ponting and i got warned.

AussieFan
April 17, 2006, 01:05 AM
Considering the gutless and defeatist attitude displayed by too many on this forum, this thread should die a quiet death.

Now.

Ian Whitchurch

Some defeatist. Most realistic.