PDA

View Full Version : Bd vs Aus : 2nd Test Strategy

6n4
April 13, 2006, 12:02 PM
i think... a little bit change in the team might help for the bd to fight strongly in the 2nd test

1. alok kapali .. should be added in the team replacing aftab...cuz he is not actually showing the promise in the tests as he showed in ODI

2. batting order in the 2nd innings... should be like this..

1. Shahriar Nafees
2. Javed Omar
3. Rajin
4. Pilot
5. Ashraful
6. Bashar
7. Kapali
8. Rafique
9. Mashrafee
10.Rajib
11.Enam

the reason i made changes in batting order and put underlines on those players simply because BD needs a solid partnership and playing with tempartment and patience...not playing too many shots...and to make the base stronger ever they did in the 2nd innings before.. so if pilot and rajin comes earlier than others..i think..its best for their team batting on 2nd innings.

thanks
6n4

Ahmed_B
April 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Not in favor of chaning the team.

But just my observations here:

#Rajin/Bashar/Pilot/S. Nafees are good players of spin
#Aftab & Ash are probably the worst players of spin in currently in the team... so they probably should bat higher up the order when they can face the Pacer's spells.

Carte Blanche
April 13, 2006, 01:16 PM
I don't approve of changing the existing combination. Also, I see little fault in the batting order. Bashar is our best batsman and he deserves to be at the #3 spot. Historically, Pilot hasn't been successful batting too far up the order. He is more of a crisis man. He didn't click in the 1st test, but that doesn't mean he won't in future. After all, lower middle order is where he has been effective the most.

ekatturerBangalee
April 13, 2006, 03:17 PM
I am very dissapointed with Pilot's batting - 1st and 2nd innings - both. Is it time to replace Pilot with Mushfique?

rudro
April 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
Strategy doesn't always have to do with changing the team. Next thing Bangladesh should have on the Table to think about is their "Second Innings" not the team as a whole.

cricman
April 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
Play a One Day type second innings, that that doesn't mean play wild Slog Sweeps but bring the tempo up a little more.

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 03:31 PM
In second test we really need to play positive, play some shots as S. Nafees did but definitely not like Aftab. We should allow the aussies to dominate with some quick runs. We need to be positive otherwise the same thing will repeat.

roaring tigerz
April 13, 2006, 03:53 PM
Inspite of all we did this test the real 'test' of character of our cricketers would be in the next game. Even after dominating the best team in the world for long periods the scorecards will show the cold facts...australia won by 3 wickets. The critics and detractors of bangladesh cricket would still say that day 1 and 2 was a culmination of aussies getting acclimatised, tiredness and complacency.
Now if we can play our best game and perform consistently at Chittagong it would do a world of good to our claims of having crossed a threshold. Two of our best batsmen ashraful and aftab failed in both innings this time. Together wilth bashar and nafees if thos two play responsibly we can again pile up a 350+ total and put the australians under pressure.

Sovik
April 13, 2006, 04:00 PM
I am very dissapointed with Pilot's batting - 1st and 2nd innings - both. Is it time to replace Pilot with Mushfique?

What did you see in mushfiq. he is just a kid. he has a lot to learn. australia will kill his confidence in the field. He should not be called to keep in next 2 years. cause keeping and batting will be too much for him, and we don't want to waste another talent.

Pilot is still the best in his position. Its our top order batsmen who made mistakes and we are talking about pilot's exclusion.

amra_korbo_joy
April 13, 2006, 05:35 PM

#Aftab & Ash are probably the worst players of spin in currently in the team... so they probably should bat higher up the order when they can face the Pacer's spells.

Ashraful is the best spin player. Aftab is the worst spin player. period.

6n4
April 14, 2006, 11:06 AM
lot of posts i read from u guys..but just wanna tell u one thing...i didn't say anything about the 1st innings batting..talking about 2nd innings ...u know why..cuz the same order we followed from the 1st test till the last test and what was the result? 90 runs average ! anyway ... that's why they should do a little experiment with the order..and put a batsman who got tempartment in the top order rather than those batsman who likes to play shots without judging the ball and get out !! so bear in those points in my mind...my keypoint is 2nd innings batting..and to promote rajin and pilot as top order batsman respectively !
we should be creative about the strategy ...we got the talent but not the application..that's the main problem we have..otherwise..we have already seen what we can do ...:)
all the best for the bd in the 2nd test...

6n4

sadi
April 14, 2006, 11:17 AM
Aftab stays. What we can do though is to let him bat up the order. He is clearly more comfortable against pace bowling and number 3 will be a better option for him. Yeah I know Bashar has been so successful in number 3 but bashar is also good against spin and can play down the order. We need an experienced batsman down the order and bashar can provide us just that. By letting Aftab bat at number 3, he can get used to the wicket, get some runs under his belt before he needs to face the spin from Mcgill. I don't think that will happen though but thats my suggestion. So the batting order is:
Javed Omar (Unfortuately he stays)
Shahriar Nafees
Aftab Ahmed
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Ashraful
Rajin Saleh (Rajin has the temperament to handle pressure and value his wicket a lot and thus will do better at number 6 than Aftab)
Khaled Masud
Mohammad Rafique
Mashrafee Mortaza
Shahadat Hussain
Enamul jr

Tigers_eye
April 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
Ashraful is the best spin player. Aftab is the worst spin player. period.
হাই থট কথা বার্তা। এনটিনা উচা করেও কোন রিসিপশণ পাচ্ছি না।
high-thought discussion. Can't understand anything.

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2006, 11:55 AM
i am against any changes in the team, even in batting order (i.e. javed, nafees, bashar, rajin, ashraful, aftab, mashud). although ashraful has shown weaknesses against spin bowling, let's not forget that he is the best reader of murali in the world. ;) so if he's failing, it's because he hasn't learnt to be consistent. however, it could be his weakness agaist leg spin as well, and i can't say much since i haven't watched the last game.

strategy for the 2nd test: bat bat and bat...

and bat

and bat

and bat

once we can do that, our bowlers know what to do.

Tigers_eye
April 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
Play a One Day type second innings, that that doesn't mean play wild Slog Sweeps but bring the tempo up a little more.
Why? did Australia play like that in that wicket? What was their runrate? anything close to ODI? I say play as the situation allows you to play. I don't want to see bashar walking towards the crease while trying to play ODI type cricket (check out the runrate at that time) in the second innings.

6n4
April 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
Why? did Australia play like that in that wicket? What was their runrate? anything close to ODI? I say play as the situation allows you to play. I don't want to see bashar walking towards the crease while trying to play ODI type cricket (check out the runrate at that time) in the second innings.

BINGO !! exactly the same thing i wanna tell u guys...and that's why i did say about that change in the order...think when bd batting in 2nd innings and losing 6/85 runs then either pilot and rajin or may be pilot and rafiq takes the pressure and make it say around 130/140 and got out ! what's the point...just because of the pressure they can't even concerntrate in the lower order...now my point is..if these batsman in the 2nd innings get promotion in the order...they will play with the situation and build a score cuz they don't have to take the pressure that..oh no..we donn have any batsman left..so the change in score suppose 130-140/4 ..something like that when they got out and they will feel that ..ok now we have bashar we have ashraful we have alok or aftab who can contribute...which will eventually give us better result ..better average in the 2nd innings batting.. at least i can bet we can do 50 more runs..if we follow this kind of strategy...

hope u understand what i wanted to say...

thanks

6n4

Spitfire_x86
April 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
ODI style cricket doesn't necessarily mean high RR. In the second innings if the team is leading by a good margin then the opposition is likely to implement a more defensive, near ODI style field, especially when a batsman gets little set. Then one can't rely too much on bad deliveries and boundaries to score runs. This situation demands more reliance on singles/couples and frequent rotation of strike, just like ODI

This is what Australia did in their 2nd innings.

Spitfire_x86
April 14, 2006, 12:42 PM

Ashraful is the worst player of spin in our team? :D

Rajin was not comfortable in the 1st innings agasint McGill and Warne.

kalpurush
April 14, 2006, 12:51 PM
Changing in batting order might be positive for BD in 2nd Test.

Ahmed_B
April 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
#Aftab & Ash are probably the worst players of spin currently in the team... so they probably should bat higher up the order when they can face the Pacer's spells.
Ashraful is the worst player of spin in our team? :D
Yes... currently (in the ongoing series) Ash is playing MacGill & Warne very poorly. Ash played Muraly with lots of skill.. but he seems to be lost against Aus spin attak. I do think he will do better up the order while Pacers are bowling. So will Aftab.

protik
April 14, 2006, 01:43 PM
What did BD do wrong in this test?!

Oh!! It was a great fault that we lost to Aussies in the breathtaking 5th day ..... It was not right that we made 427 in the first innings .... it was not right we bowled so well .... it was not right that Shahadat gave 3 bouncers at the very end....

Come on, give me a break. The only thing that went wrong in this test is the 2nd innings batting. Now if the same batting line up and same batting order produced 427 in the first innings then why change the line-up and the order???!!! The 1st innings tell us what this same line-up and order is capable of doing. We need to find out what goes in the mind of our batsmen in the 2nd innings .... that's all.

Stop complaining after every match. I thoroughly enjoyed the test. Go Bangladesh.

ManInBlack
April 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
I say bring in Nafees Iqbal and get rid of Aftab. Nafees Iqbal looked very promising before. Im confident that he will win matches for bangladesh sooner than later.

Spitfire_x86
April 14, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yes... currently (in the ongoing series) Ash is playing MacGill & Warne very poorly. Ash played Muraly with lots of skill.. but he seems to be lost against Aus spin attak. I do think he will do better up the order while Pacers are bowling. So will Aftab.
Both times pacers took his wicket, not spinners

I didn't see his 1st innings, but in his 2nd innings he played spin fairly well (he face very few balls though)

sar2005
April 14, 2006, 03:04 PM
We don't want to give away our wickets to Macgill cheaply. 8 wickets in an innings was too much. Onething I noticed from last match that Macgill really bowls a loose delivery almost in every over. We need to be patient (ask Rajin how he does so) to play against Macgill - play good deliveries with respect and wait for the bad deliveries which he will definitely ball every now and then.

My another concern would be Branken ( as he is almost sure making the team). BD is always very bad against left arm swing bowlers. But since we have a similer kind of a bowler in our own team (russel), should not we play better this time?

Zobair
April 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
I am surprised, after watching the first test no one has said "what JO did (27 and 18) Nafees Iqbal can do better!". I mean what kind of a shot was that to get out to in the second innings....cutting a ball so close to the stumps...neither on back nor front foot...a nothing shot really...very disappointing coming from such an experienced player!

Spitfire_x86
April 14, 2006, 03:42 PM
JO is a taboo subject. He's beyond all logic and judgement.

Miraz
April 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
Only Bangladeshi batting can keep us in the fight. If they can put some good total in the first innings, BD bowlers will certainly take advantage of that and will not allow aussies to ride with high scoring total. And only then we will have the chance to give a close fight or even win the test.

Zobair
April 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
I would still have faith in Aftab. He is too good a player to be played around with like this. It will destroy his confidence. He needs to be told to go out there and play his natural game and use good judgement. He does look tense out there as if there are thousand voices planted in his head that are struggling for control.

I think we need to recognize what worked for us. Being positive and scoring freely really put Australia under pressure. So the important thing would be to stay positive and put away the bad balls.

As for the team combination, I would replace Javed Omar with Nafees Iqbal, simply because he is the one with the capability to go and score beyond 20s and 30s, can play both pacers and spinners. Nafees has shown against Sri Lanka A that he is back and he means business, and Sri Lanka A are no pushovers (certainly better than what the Keyan bowling had to offer).

My team for the second test:

S Nafees
N Iqbal
H Bashar
M Ashraful
R Saleh (what a great test he had! very impressive!)
A Ahmed (just needs to play his natural game and not get bogged down! he is more in the more Gilchrist mould)
K Mashud
M Rafique
M Mortaza
S Hossain
E Haq Jnr.

I think that is a damn good test team and I can see these players in the team for the next 3 years!

feisal
April 14, 2006, 08:49 PM
with due respect to Mashid's ability.. he canNOT play at number 4.. stickability to the wicket is not good enough to take up that position. he is 'ok' at number 7.. and has the mental strength to come back from the batting doldrums....

shamster
April 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
Strategy more of the same please. If we do more of the same then surely we can not lose again!

cricket_pagla
April 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
battin' line will be somthing like this.. but bottom line is to get out there.. n score runs as possible.. whtr u stay on the wicket or scorin like crazy 'afridi'
S Nafees
J. Omar
R. Saleh
A. Ahmed
H Bashar
M Ashraful
K Mashud
M Rafique
M Mortaza
S Hossain
E Haq Jnr.

chinaman
April 14, 2006, 10:02 PM
Kapali's spin might come handy should the need arise, in place of Aftab's medium pace. Batting wise both of them are pretty comparable for the 2nd test. Aftab however holds a little edge in fielding. It will be a very close call, but in the end after much hair pulling, I'd probably lean a bit towards the change.

Nafees is as much unpredictable as Ashraful is. On their day, both can dig sizable holes in the Aussie attack. Given the high possibility of the blond boy to show his finger's worth for the first time, Ashraful is anything but sure to go after him if the past is of any indication. Similarly Nafees is more than eager to prove himself in front of the home crowd. Both will take unnecessary risks one time or another. And there lies the biggest gamble for Farouque & co.

ammark
April 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Similarly Nafees is more than eager to prove himself in front of the home crowd.

Then seeing how Aftab will be at Ctg, we might as well let him prove himself in front of his home crowd :)

I dont think our team needs to change. The batsmen just have to play their game right, session by session and not go for risky and/or silly shots. we didnt see any of those from Gilchrist or Ponting. why should our guys do that? Unfortunately thats what happened with:

-bashar, nafees, aftab in 1st innings
-jo, aftab, pilot in 2nd innings
-Ashraful's many [edit] shots that fortunately didnt get him [edit].

If its JO's time to go, then maybe Nafees Iqbal may be given a chance. But mind you, he has been terribly inconsistent in all the innings he's played in the nat'l team. The second thing to do might be to punish ashraful for his attitude, and switch his position with aftab, and get kapali to fill the gap. But mind you this is a secondary priority thing - Ashraful on his day did play Murali well!

But MOST importantly... bashar has to be a more proactive captain on the field! He HAS to MAKE things HAPPEN! He has to constantly try new attacking field settings and ensure his bowlers are bowling to their fields! Also has to keep motivating and encouraging the kids under his wing EVERY moment of the game! He has to yell at Rajib and Abir and Enam and JO for being slow to fetch the ball! He HAS to be MORE aggressive and Stop those friggin singles!

All the batsmen have to respect good and decent balls and block/leave them away in both innings, and hit the bad ones off. There is MORE than ENOUGH time and overs to score runs. There is NO RUSH to score! Their only priority should be not to get out!

If BD can implement all these things and be IN the game (mentally - motivated all the time), then I ASSURE you, Aus will be defeated. But these are after all my hollow words and hopes. Its a heckuva lot difficult and tough to play these out on the ground. And thats where BD looks like needing to improve no doubt. So anyways, here's wishing them the best

Duck
April 15, 2006, 01:27 AM
:-/
I believe BD batsmen lack one notion, in common, what is the meaning of being positive and being dumb slogger! Why dont we understand that being positive does not mean being irresponsible in shot selection and go for the slogs.:E

6n4
April 15, 2006, 02:00 AM
Kapali's spin might come handy should the need arise, in place of Aftab's medium pace. Batting wise both of them are pretty comparable for the 2nd test. Aftab however holds a little edge in fielding. It will be a very close call, but in the end after much hair pulling, I'd probably lean a bit towards the change.

hmm good point u made.. kapali is a fine batsman..who should be given more chances in test matches.. he is a brilliant fielder at point as well and sometimes very handy with his spin bowling...he is not a consistent hooker or puller ..or such a player who plays shot without even juding the ball...he is a thinking cricketer and plays with tempartment which is badly needed for our team.

6n4

KaaL-PurusH
April 15, 2006, 02:30 AM
why do u guys wanna reject AFTAB 4m team???...how can u add ALOK in da team replacing AFTAB???

i know...AFTAB is worst against spinners...but does ALOK is world-class batsmen against spinners???...he is also a poor batsment against spinners...so adding ALOK instad Aftab wont b good idea....n Team Management is misunisg of AFTAB...Aftab is'nt lower middle order batsmen...he is a top order batsmen....so he should play in top order...

n guys...for GOD sake...don compare between AFTAB n ALOK...Aftab is far better batsmen n talent than ALOK...so let him play...he'll click INSHA ALLAH...

chinaman
April 15, 2006, 11:55 AM
It is not about comparing two players or their talent. It is about the need of the team. It is about the application expected of a player in a given situation. Now that we have the luxury to chose from quite a bunch of tested players, we should carefully look into things previously unthinkable for us.

As for example, if we had Abir available, we did not have to play Hannan for 4 innings. We had the back ups to give Rajin a break.

It is neither about dumping a player nor about labeling one better that the other. It is just a part of the game plan if anyone wonders.

Daddy_Mac
April 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
The stragity and target will be "Try..yes...Try to save some pride for the sake of the country"

6n4
April 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
See.. I told u guys abt it...the change in order they made with rajin in the first innings was very necessary ..otherwise they could not even reach 197. God Bless you Rajin.Now, the other one Pilot, some of them was even talking abt dropping him and see what he does always for the team in times of need. Thanks a lot Pilot for being there as a fighter as always u do..

Now its all about the 2nd innings...why i mentioned about that change..because when pilot comes late..he doesn't find any batsman to support him and that's why he stayed at 34 not out there where other batsman got out one by one..so if he comes earlier, he will be able to carry out the batting.

All the best Bangladesh !!

6n4