PDA

View Full Version : Positions in which Bangladesh is lacking as a test team.

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
Bangladesh is growing fast as a test team but still we have distinct lacking in certain positions which is preventing us performing consistently in the tope level of cricket. In my opinion Bangladesh has lacking in following positions and need to be attended with care for success in test level.

Captaincy - Bashar is really a very poor captain who is not at all proactive and very much reactive. He has got problem with mindset and also inspiring the teammates. His skill in bowling change, fielding change and take advantage of situation is questionable. He waits things to happen and almost never makes thing happen. Unfortunately we do not have a good replacement in the team now.

Opening -We have found one opening batsman, Shahriar Nafees, but we don't have another real oppener who can serve the team for a long time and will perform consistently & has got necessary techniques. JO has got limited shots and is declining, Nafees Iqbal is not consistent.

Lack of consistency in top/middle order Our top or middle order batsmen has got all the talent & potential to convert our test side to a challenging one but they are agonisingly inconsistent. Apart from Bashar and very recently Rajin we cannot rely on any other batsman. Ashraful, Aftab is not performing to their potential, Alok is not up to the mark for tests, Pilot forgot how to bat in tests.

Wicketkeeper/Batsman - This is another real lacking in Bangladesh side. Pilot is undoubtedly a very very good wicketkeeper but he is a very poor batsman. Modern test cricket requires a wicketkeeper who can bat as well. Hopefully Mushfiqur Rahim can be light in front of the dark tunnel.

Lack of batting ability in the tail : Test cricket requires some contribution from tail. Our tails was not that bad but recently they deteriorated. In fact few years back a srilankan coach worked with them and they performed well. They again need such assistance.

We have got an excellent bowling attack which is comparable with any test batting nation. For alow turing wicket we have Rafiq, Enamul, Mashrafee & Shahadat. On the other hand for fast bouncy wicket we can replace Enamul by Rasel and thats really a good pace attack.

What do you think friends?

Carte Blanche
April 13, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have been very critical of Bashar's captaincy over the years, specially with his field settings, defensive approaches, ineffective bowling changes etc. I don't think he was that bad in this test though. It all depends on what you expect to see in a captain. Surely you can't judge him by the Benaud/Brearley scale of success. Do you expect Steve Waugh's brand of intuitive aggression? Taylor's Gambits? Or Ponting's desperate aggression? Apart from the delay of taking the new ball, I don't think he did much wrong in the 1st Inn. His bowling changes, mostly, were very effective. I'm sure you can disagree with that - but hey, they worked. In the 2nd Inn., I think he just didn't have enough runs to defend.

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 01:16 PM
I have been very critical of Bashar's captaincy over the years, specially with his field settings, defensive approaches, ineffective bowling changes etc. I don't think he was that bad in this test though. It all depends on what you expect to see in a captain. Surely you can't judge him by the Benaud/Brearley scale of success. Do you expect Steve Waugh's brand of intuitive aggression? Taylor's Gambits? Or Ponting's desperate aggression? Apart from the delay of taking the new ball, I don't think he did much wrong in the 1st Inn. His bowling changes, mostly, were very effective. I'm sure you can disagree with that - but hey, they worked. In the 2nd Inn., I think he just didn't have enough runs to defend.

What about defensive fielding when aussies were 93/6. 306 in sub continent is not enough? I don't agree. He gave Rafiq and Enamul only one over before lunch in the second innings of aussies, thats's stupidity. And most importantly his attitude in the second inings, he was watching the reaply of his stupid run out throughout the innings.

Tigers_eye
April 13, 2006, 03:05 PM
Our bowling attack is not the international class yet. We can't buy a wicket when opposition (top 8 test nation) anchors down. Few more years with the same group we will have better results. They are still not there yet. We still need a fast bowler like Asif, McGrath, Ntini so that opposition will fear. Mash, shahadat has a chance to grow someone like that. They have age on their side. Spinners may have showed up in the last game but before that has nothing to show for (I ignore Zim).

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 03:25 PM
I will rate Mashrafee in similar or even better grade compared to Asif. Asif has taken some wicket true as Stuart Clark did in South Africa but if you look at this test Mashrafee was way better compared to Clark. McGrath & Ntini are great fast bowler but Mash is equal or even better compared to pace bowlers of WI, India (except Pathan), Newzealand (exc Bond), Pak (exc Shoaib) and Srilanka (exc Vaas).

Shahadat is raw and new but he has the key 'aggression and speed' which can make him a real asset for our team.