PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Australian squad for second test

layperson
April 14, 2006, 05:16 PM
I read in cricinfo tht aussies r contemplating bringing in NAthan Bracken and cullen in place of bret lee and warne.. While it is great news tht cullen a right hand offspinner will replace warne the leg spinner .... i think it is bad news tht bracken in coming in for bret lee.... i think the BD players wud be very succesful against cullen since it is always eaiser to deal with offspinners thn leg spinners ... nd wen a new offspinner is replacing a bowler like shane warne with so many variations it is good news for bd .... however BD players hv always had problems against left arm quickies.....hence bracken is a bigger threat thn brett lee according to me ....the biggest problem BD batters hv with left armers is tht they get caught infront of the wicket plumb lbw to the balls tht come into them .... tht happend with irfan pathan of india .... frm whatever cricket i hv played nd knw abt the game .... one way to to counter tht is to hv an open stance against the left handed bowlers who bring the ball back into the batsmen...this way you can play those deliveries on the onside along with the swing more easily than if you hv a closed stance...hope the coach looks into this..... if there was ne way to let the players knw abt this tht wud hv been great .... bcoz i dint see ne BD batsmen open up their stance against irfan pathan during the series against india .... tht wud hv made life easier for the BD batsmen....

Zobair
April 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
yes, a leftie pacer is indeed a threat. But I think we are better prepared this time because we have our own leftie swing bowler who brings the ball in to the right-handers i.e. we just need to keep practising in the nets. Bring in Shafaq Al-Zabir if necessary!

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
yeah, bracken can be a pain in the butt. i wouldn't say he's any less of a threat than any of their first string attack. let's see if the boys have improved their game against lefties at all.

we do have a leftie in shahriar nafees, don't we? :)

Hatebreed
April 14, 2006, 10:34 PM
Well think about this.. Lee is not a bad bowler, but he can also be threatening with the bat.. how good is Bracken as a tailender? removal of shane and lee means we have a better chance of getting them all out if we can tear into their top order like the previous match

layperson
April 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
Well think about this.. Lee is not a bad bowler, but he can also be threatening with the bat.. how good is Bracken as a tailender? removal of shane and lee means we have a better chance of getting them all out if we can tear into their top order like the previous match

True it will weaken their tail.... but i think bracken would be much more effective than lee against bangladesh if we cannot rectify our technique against left arm pacers..however hopefully we can overcome this ... then i hv high hopes of a positive result for bangladesh in the second test ...

mildwind
April 14, 2006, 11:17 PM
It will help BD players to get some mental relief. But still they should not get too relaxed. Braken is a good bowler and worthy of replacing Lee. He has very good figures in ODI and yet to prove his worthiness in test.

Imtiazk
April 15, 2006, 03:47 AM
I wrote a article on this topic at the end of 2004 entitled "The Hannan Conundrum .."
I am not sure how much we have improved. I know we have Rasel but our problem is that we do not seem to learn from mistakes. Regardless of the bad decisions Ashraful gets, the reason he is prone to such dismissals is because he is too square on to begin with - exactly the Hannan conundrum.

The good news is that Shahriyar Nafees will open. As long as he does not edge it to the slips !

Shafin
April 15, 2006, 05:23 AM
Golla will need to rectify his shuffling problem,or he will get LBW,
As for Ash,he played brilliant against Pathan,for him,its not the bowler that matters,its he himself that matters.

Miraz
April 15, 2006, 07:02 AM
Apart from Symonds no other new bowler will be a real threat for BD. I don't want symonds in the test squad. He is really very intelligent bowler for weaker opponent and an ordinary bowler against good opposition.

Mr-Cricket
April 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
The general consensus in Australia is that Andy Symonds should not be considered in Test matches. He's a great player in ODI's, and is a clearly an awesome fielder, but his batting just is not cut out for the longer version of the game. He is generally economical with the ball, but Ponting rarely gives him an extended run (Although he has been getting more of a bowl of late). I know Shane Watson has only recently come back from injury, but he really should slot straight back into the Test team. He is a far superior batsman, has a solid technique, and can bowl above 140kph. He also just recently scored 200* in the Pura Cup Final against Victoria. Roy's only advantage is that he can bowl spin, when needed.

layperson
April 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
now the latest news is tht mitchell johnson another leftie nd symonds might be in .... so australia will be going in with four bowlers nd symonds .... which is good news for bangladesh in the sense tht they will be a bowler short .... but then johnson is alos a left arm pacer nd frm what i read abt him he is suppoed be as quick as bret lee ... which makes life much more difficult ... i think our biggest threat will be this left arm quickie for the second test ... how we fare will depend on how we cope with this guy .... frm the aussies batting point of view it has become way stronger bcoz no matter what neone says symonds is a very good batsmen... nd the worse part is he can demoralise the other team bowlers with his shots .... but the good thing is since he plays a lot of shots there is more chance for the bowler to pick up his wicket provided they bowl intelligently .... lets see what happens ... hoping for the best for BD nd keeping my fingers crossed....

TheWatcher
April 15, 2006, 02:36 PM
From another thread- (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=289194#post289194)
Mitchell Johnson isn't express pace, not even fast. He's being picked more for potential than anything. He does not have a good first class record.
If Donny is right, Johnson should not be a threat for us on a slow pitch.

layperson
April 15, 2006, 05:40 PM
Mitchell Johnson is Australia's most exciting fast-bowling prospect since Brett Lee first dyed his roots. He's quick, he's tall, he's insanely talented, but most of all, he's a left-armer. Only the digging up of a blond legspinner can create more excitement in an Australian cricket scene that has seen just two of this style of diamond - Alan Davidson and Bruce Reid - pass 100 Test wickets. With best first-class figures of 5 for 43 from his first 12 first-class games all predictions have been built on promise and the caveat "if he can stay fit".
Dennis Lillee fell hard and instantly when he spotted him as a 17-year-old at a Pace Australia camp and called him "a once in a generation bowler". Lillee immediately phoned Rod Marsh, who was then the Australian Academy head coach, and Johnson was quickly headed to Adelaide and the national under-19 team. Injuries, mostly to his back, kept interrupting his long-term plans but he played a full season in 2004-05 and has been a fixture with the Queensland Bulls this summer after being picked for Australia A's tour of Pakistan.
Another representative catapult arrived in December when Trevor Hohns launched him into the Australian one-day squad for the final match of the 2005-06 Chappell-Hadlee Series in New Zealand. At 189cm, he has the height to worry batsmen and he is intent on scaring them as well. Shane Watson, his Queensland team-mate, has been wildly impressed. "He has just about the most talent I've ever seen in an all-round athlete and I've only seen him playing cricket. If he can keep improving the sky's the limit." Peter English December 2005

doesnt sound slow to me frm the above description.....

TheWatcher
April 15, 2006, 06:54 PM
Watch Johnson (the left armer w/ black hair) taking six wickets against Victoria-

Clip (http://www.qldcricket.com.au/images/pcfinalday5.wmv)

Not sure how fast he is, but does not look like Bret Lee speed. May be injuries have slowed him down lately.

exotic
April 15, 2006, 07:52 PM
Watch Johnson (the left armer w/ black hair) taking six wickets against Victoria-

Not sure how fast he is, but does not look like Bret Lee speed. May be injuries have slowed him down lately.

Thanks for video. Didn't seem very fast from the VDO, but definitely got the height and build which will help him to get extra bounce. I didn't see any extra ordinary delivery for those 6 wkts (i think there are 5 in the vdo), but most of the catches are excellent.

layperson
April 15, 2006, 09:27 PM

thanks for the video ... yea he does not look menacingly fast .... nd i dint see him bring ne ball back into the batsman ... so tht is sort of good news but his bounce will trouble some players while it will mean good hookers like ashraful might get more scoring deliveries or might perish trying to hook ...... but i think they can take him on if he bounces the likes of ahsraful nd bashar nd aftab....