PDA

View Full Version : India's Test Slump and ODI turnaoround

DJ Sahastra
April 15, 2006, 11:03 AM
India seems to be on a remarkable winning ratio in ODIs. 6-1 against SL (the then #2 team), 2-2 against SA (the then #2 team and on a 20 ODI winning streak), 4-1 against Pakistan (the top contender to #2 and the actual result was 5-0 sans technical reasons), 4-1 against England - it is all remrkable.

On the Test front though, it is just about unable to win anything significant. 2-0 win against SL followed by 0-1 loss to Pakistan and a poor 1-1 draw with England.

Seems like India is on rise in ODIs and slump in Tests.

What do you guys think?

al Furqaan
April 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
seems that way...most indian fans it seems do not care much for ODIs...they would want to be #1 in tests. which is understandable.

on the other hand, it seems india is unearthing a load of legit quick bowlers. patel, various singhs, and sreesanth. they all seem to be just as quick or quicker than rajib and masri.

Miraz
April 15, 2006, 02:18 PM
India is a good ODI team no doubt and they are even stronger in home soil (57% home win Vs 37% away win). India always a lion at home and mouse abroad in tests (30% home win Vs mere 13% away win).

Now its really a challenge for India to become a good test nation who can win abroad & India ODI team will eventually follow that.

thebest
April 15, 2006, 09:04 PM
I think it is supporters mind set also. I do not know what DJ think. But most of the indians I met give more priority to ODI.And we all know BCCI is always after money. ODI give more money. If you have a stronger team, then propensity of income in ODI is much higher. Also it is widely recognised that batting is India's strongest suit. ODI is basically a duel between batsmen of two team. So India is good ODI team. This are entirely my opinion

Hatebreed
April 15, 2006, 09:16 PM
The reason why India is so good at ODIs is their batsmen.. even if their bowlers are rubbish, their batsmen always pull it off.. but they're not all that impressive in tests. I've watched the entire Ind-Pak and Eng-Pak test series and I can easily say Pak was the better team from day one. IMO Pak is right now the best test team in the sub-continent while India is definitely best at ODI.

insideedge
April 16, 2006, 11:38 AM
The present group of BCCI officials are trying hard to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Nothing else can explain why they have been organising offshore tamasha matches against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi. It is similar matches at Sharjah that led to match fixing. If such matches proceed ahaed on a regular basis, Pakistan will win as they did at Sharjah and India will no longer be the ODI team that it is today.

bharat
April 16, 2006, 12:38 PM
The present group of BCCI officials are trying hard to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Nothing else can explain why they have been organising offshore tamasha matches against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi.

Yes , I agree ..there are sham matches to fill in the coffers of BCCI .Too much cricket !!
I am getting bored of cricket :mad:

Spitfire_x86
April 16, 2006, 03:00 PM
What was the point of making the ODI series vs England a 7 match series? A 5 match series would be good enough.

Hatebreed
April 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
India being a strong ODI team + England being a depleted ODI team (without its key players missing/injured) + ODI being the more profitable version of the game = India can easily beat England = more happy customers (Indians) = more money for BCCI.

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
Its a good turn around for sure in ODI. But the world cup is still far away hope they didn't peak too early :). That would dishearten billions of fans = loss of moral = less money for BCCI = firing of Chapel. 3 bad things to 1 good thing may happen.

Test, matter of time. Kumble will be retiring soon they need another Hirwani or something to be a force at home. Otherwise the drop will continue. Harbajan can not take the load himself. ICC will be looking at pitches so future looks bleak. No more bowling in a desert-like pitches.