PDA

View Full Version : Intolerable!!!

Spitfire_x86
April 15, 2006, 04:18 PM
Our boneheaded selectors are considering to drop Aftab and pick Alok again!

http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=1&Date=2006-04-16&filename=16h7
http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-04-16

cricketboy
April 15, 2006, 04:24 PM
I support the selectors. We need a extra spin option specially if Enamul doesnt play and also Alok is more experienced than Aftab.

sonarbangla
April 15, 2006, 04:36 PM
its a positive approch i guess.. i don think aftab is capable of playing for the test team.. go alok go.. and i think if enam is not playing then we better pick russel as our third bowler..

Hatebreed
April 15, 2006, 04:40 PM
I was expecting this so I'm not surprised.. hopefully his exclusion won't break his confidence or cost us any worse than it did in the 1st match.. it's too risky to take chances with him after how we close we got to victory.

Spitfire_x86
April 15, 2006, 04:41 PM
The selectors are doing injustice to both Aftab and Alok. They've been making change in the 6th batsman's position in every test since SL tour.

Away SL test series - Aftab
Home SL 1st Test - Alok
Home SL 2nd Test - Mushfiq Rahim
Home Aus 1st Test - Aftab
Home SL 2nd Test - Alok??

This kind of thing is NOT good for the players.

On what basis they are rating Alok as a better player of spin? Both did well against Kenyan spinners. In fact, Alok's downhill journey started after being bowled by Gareth Batty.

Another notable thing: Aftab and Alok are "very much dispensible" in the selectors' eye. 20 something scores are considered as F grade for them, while JO is still "indispensable" after doing nothing better for 5 tests in a row.

Nafees Iqbal, Aftab can be blamed/punished for playing bad shots, but JO is a demigod. Everything he does is the best for the team.

cricman
April 15, 2006, 04:49 PM
Whats wrong with Aftab, The Problems with the Selectors he was trying real hard to fight the temptation of playing the way he feels comfortable. Once he gets his feet wet with some runs to his name during an innings he's much more lethal as a batsmen.

The same goes with Ashraful,Bashar and S. Nafees when they are going well they are off like fire crackers.

All players should be held to the same standard if Aftab can't play an innings of run a ball then the same should be held for the rest of the team.

cricman
April 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
Whats wrong with Aftab, The Problems with the Selectors he was trying real hard to fight the temptation of playing the way he feels comfortable. Once he gets his feet wet with some runs to his name during an innings he's much more lethal as a batsmen.

The same goes with Ashraful,Bashar and S. Nafees when they are going well they are off like fire crackers.

All players should be held to the same standard if Aftab can't play an innings of run a ball then the same should be held for the rest of the team. And please stop with this Alok is a good Bowler Aftab would be a much better choice with the ball as well. Plus he's the best fielder on the team

AsifTheManRahman
April 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
they're making the same mistake that they did with the opening position so many times before. we may just have another al shahriar in the making; whether it will be alok or aftab or rahim or someone else is for time to tell.

zmahbub
April 15, 2006, 05:28 PM
I think it's a good move by selectors at the moment!

layperson
April 15, 2006, 05:33 PM
Mod.action: deleted: Please be cognizant of the forum rules. Perhaps you can restate your opinion without taking recourse of expletives?

sorry for getting carried away ... but this dropping and taking back of aftab every other game got to me nd being the short tempered person i m i just hit out..... well i wud just like to say tht playing musical chair with a cricketer like aftab is detrimental to the player nd to the game of cricket in bangladesh ... bcoz if this continues then we will lose a classy batsmen nd it wud be the selectors fault...already as i hv noticed his exclusion frm the sri lanka test matches only made him confused frm the little i hv seen of the recent test match .... i just hope good sense prevail among the selectors if not then we the fans need to act nd make our voices heard .... at least the ones who know what aftab is worth to the team....

ononto
April 15, 2006, 05:40 PM
Aftab should be given more chances to settle in his position while particularly in the next match as we can't play Enamul Jr. we need a back up over debutant Razzak. Which promts the selectors to choose Alok and in this case its not a bad decision.

ammark
April 15, 2006, 06:11 PM
Disappointing. Guess the weak-kneed, reactionary Aftab haters club has gotten through to the selectors again.

..I'm with Spitty for now. Kinda pensive to join the JO hater's club, though. In the old days the guy used to waste 100 balls for 1 run, y'know? We really needed that in the 2nd innings last time!

Shakalaka
April 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
I say, good move. Aftab is not made for test cricket. Bring him back for ODI. but why loosing Enamul?? he bowled great.

Shaan
April 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thats good decision by selectors... lets hope the good outcome from this..

BD Tigers
April 15, 2006, 09:06 PM
Aftab will defintely be a better test cricketer but just not now. He needs to play more longer version and also spin bowling. Well Alok did nothing. Can he play spin better than Aftab - i dont know. But one thing is going for him - temparment. He will not go for ugly slog sweep when there are only 3 overs left to end the day.

Mav
April 15, 2006, 09:51 PM
That`s Good. Aftab got out stupidly on both inings on first test. I wud have gone for Alok or Tushar Imran as a substitute.

sadi
April 15, 2006, 10:07 PM
I don't support the idea of dropping aftab but I will support it only for this test match... since enamul is not playing, we need a backup third spinner since we don't know how effective razzak can be and alok is the only other option... he can't do much worse than aftab battingwise right now eventhough aftab has more potential and eventually will be one of the main batsman in bangladesh

Carte Blanche
April 15, 2006, 10:13 PM
they're making the same mistake that they did with the opening position so many times before. we may just have another al shahriar in the making; whether it will be alok or aftab or rahim or someone else is for time to tell.

My thoughts exactly :(

kaisermatin
April 15, 2006, 10:14 PM
one thing to note is that Alok does not show up in the ICC rankings. so in terms of experience Aftab should have prevailed. he is young; and needs to be molded. i say he deserves a spot.

layperson
April 15, 2006, 10:25 PM
I don't support the idea of dropping aftab but I will support it only for this test match... since enamul is not playing, we need a backup third spinner since we don't know how effective razzak can be and alok is the only other option... he can't do much worse than aftab battingwise right now eventhough aftab has more potential and eventually will be one of the main batsman in bangladesh

do u seriously think alok's bowling will matter one bit in test matches ? heck even in one day standard his bowling is ordinary .....what do ppl see in his bowling ? he got one hattrick which was all due to his luck ... i saw tht match nd none of the balls were nething to write abt nd they were pakistani tail enders .... i even went as far to say tht one of my friends who played alongside me in my school cricket team was a better legspinner than alok kapali .... he does not hv too much spin neither does he hv ne variation ... nd i as i told in sm other thread he is a replica of upul chandana of sri lanka only worse..... ahsraful can do what alok can do with the ball ..... no way can alok replace aftab ..... aftab shud be in the team for at least another 10 test matches straight nd then we all will see what he is worth .. bcoz then his stats will speak for himself....nd they r already picking razzaq if enam is not playing .... if u dont hv faith in ur replacement bowler nd need additional backup then it is better to not hv razzaq but smone else replace enam .... alok bowling will not make ne difference in the test match ....

thebest
April 15, 2006, 10:25 PM
Those who joined aftab hate club, I asked the same question again and again. He scored more runs than JO and Ash in the last test. He was part of two crucial partneship when we lost quick wickets. May be it is acceptable for you that JO and Ash can be in a team if they can score a quickfire 20 but not acceptable for aftab if he did not score a 50 in evry innings he played. Ok he was out in foolish manner. But is it more foolish than JO, HB, Ash and Pilot. I think he is a victim of Selectors whim. He is not test material force him to play un aftab like. Suddenly he realizes that he has too little score againest his name after long time in. He tried to accelerate tos how that he is aftab - the cleanest hitter of ball in Bangladesh team and choose the wrong ball/time and got out.
I m not a member of Alok hate club. In fact I ask Billah bhai some questions when he started some number game on Alok. But I ask you what he have done to get his place back in the team. In his last appearence his combined time of staying in the crease is less than even the shortest time Aftab stayed in the team. And compare to Sl , Aus has much formidable attack. If he was a good player of spin why he was out both time by Murali. He is no good than other BD player of spin.
We always blame selectors for chopping too much. Are not we showing the same trend. It is just knee jurk reaction. If Aftab retained his place and play a good innings some of you would be the more vocal supporter of Aftab. You are just glory hunter not genuine fan/hater of Aftab
Thank You

CricTiger
April 15, 2006, 10:26 PM
One thing I do not understand ,if Enamul Jr is injured why selectors have to consider Raj?Is he better than Alok?Why can't we play Aftab and Alok together?

layperson
April 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
:eek: alok better than razzaq ??? boycotts mom can prolly bowl better than alok

Spitfire_x86
April 15, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm also an Alok fan, but not out of touch with reality. As a test bowler, Alok's achievement is ZERO, apart from that hattrick against Pakistan.

Spitfire_x86
April 15, 2006, 10:53 PM
And I think everyone of us knows how reluctant Bashar is about using his 5th bowler.

Alok was also kept for his spin bowling ability in the 1st test against Srilanka. But what did our captain do? Gave him only 1 (might be 3) overs.