PDA

View Full Version : Ponting has no right to demand the umpire to review a decision.

ghalib.imtiyaz
April 16, 2006, 02:48 AM
No player be it Ponting or someone else has no right to demand the umpire to review a decision once it has been already made. It was a matter of great misfortune that Aftab was given out controversially. Whether he was out or not is not the case in point rather the mere fact that the decision was reversed because Ponting forced the upmire to ask for a further review is what should be condemned.

It may not change the outcome of this match but Aussies are doing this way too often and this habit needs to change.

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 02:50 AM
what was mahbubur rahman doing? why he changed his decision? why is he even 3rd umpire

Miraz
April 16, 2006, 02:53 AM
According to ICC rules, no player can ask umpires to review a decision, once its is made.

Umpires collapsed under pressure from aussies. Shame!!

sar2005
April 16, 2006, 03:00 AM
Gavaskar has clearly mentioned that once the decision is made, a player can't ask for the reply. This is a breach of ICC playing condition as they said. Match referee will definitely look into it.

Whatever, the lose has already hitted us again. I thought today is the time when Aftab will get back with some runs. Bad luck!!

ghalib.imtiyaz
April 16, 2006, 03:04 AM
Aftab's six was clean straight hit plus the boundaries of Lee. He is from my school Chittagong Government High School. So i am naturally disappointed that Mahbubur Rahman reversed his decision. Given the state of the match, we needed the slice of luck to go in our favour but it didnt.

Gavaskar has clearly mentioned that once the decision is made, a player can't ask for the reply. This is a breach of ICC playing condition as they said. Match referee will definitely look into it.

Whatever, the lose has already hitted us again. I thought today is the time when Aftab will get back with some runs. Bad luck!!

Daddy_Mac
April 16, 2006, 03:18 AM

Bad luck indeed....I think BCB should look at it...but the damage has done.....

TheWatcher
April 16, 2006, 03:29 AM
Mahbubur Rahman was not called to give a decision, rather he was asked for an opinion over the walki-talkie. The guy made the mistake of pushing the button for green light, which was an illegal action. So, Ponting was absolutely right to protest it.

This was a total show of incompetency from Mahbubur Rahman.

ghalib.imtiyaz
April 16, 2006, 03:37 AM
Mahbubur Rahman was not called to give a decision, rather he was asked for an opinion over the walki-talkie. The guy made the mistake of pushing the button for green light, which was an illegal action. So, Ponting was absolutely right to protest it.

This was a total show of incompetency from Mahbubur Rahman.

He should have said that the video was inconclusive so that it would have gone in Aftab's favour.

BDFan
April 16, 2006, 03:47 AM
match refree is a [edit] .. ponting is also a [edit].. so i very much doubt he will be punished in any way.

ialbd
April 16, 2006, 03:49 AM
whatever ponting did was just mocking cricket.... simply unacceptable

just waiting to see how the match referee responds to this
________
Ferrari/maserati engine history (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari/Maserati_engine)

ammark
April 16, 2006, 04:02 AM
Even Gavaskar should prod into this given his position in ICC. Very unfortunate that this is what Int'l Test cricket has degenerated to. Match Ref was sitting right next to 3rd ump. I'm sure he's got some role in this too. Hope he holds the game up higher than himself.

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 04:29 AM
[edit] ponting. and poor umpiring once again

chinaman
April 16, 2006, 04:37 AM
Sovik, one more bad word like that and rest assured I'll ban you.

chinaman
April 16, 2006, 04:44 AM
If you like to enjoy or even visit this site, be very careful of what you write. Consider this as a very strong warning.

match refree is a [edit].. ponting is also a [edit] so i very much doubt he will be punished in any way.

mod.action

Yameen
April 16, 2006, 07:31 AM
this is very dissapointing news, I hope something will be done like a fine to ponting, as hassling the umpire to review the decision aint part of the rules, just because australia are the best team in the world, it doesnt allow them to get away with murder!!!??

istiak
April 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
its true that Ponting has no right but Aftab was out anyway and Mahbub should give the correct decision at first place.

Hatebreed
April 16, 2006, 08:26 AM
Why can't the 3rd umpire have some guts like our BC moderators!

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
we have few umpires and they are all against us. mahbubur rahman is a disgrace. and the umpires looked spineless infront of ponting.

AsifTheManRahman
April 16, 2006, 09:48 AM
well maybe ponting doesn't have the right to question the umpires, and maybe the umpires' reviewing their decision was a spineless act, but what difference does it make? the final decision was correct, and aftab shouldn't have gone for the slog. he deserves to be out, and that's what happened.

not that ponting shouldn't be reprimanded or something, though.

sensible
April 16, 2006, 10:57 AM
The way things went last night, we really did not need a 1st, second, or 3rd umpire. We should have been appealing to Ponting and his teammates. Seems Ponting has better understanding and knowledge of the game and he surely does have more guts than all three of them combined.

Yameen
April 16, 2006, 02:32 PM
he may have been out anyway, and 3rd umpire has made the mistake of giving the FINAL decision of not out, so why should ponting dispute that, as umpires decision is always final and should be respected!
tut tut ponting, u been a naughty boy!

Imtiazk
April 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
Was it the Match referee sitting next to the 3rd umpire ? If indeed he was, he should pre-qualify his report on this topic as he himself was involved albeit indirectly.

Ponting will get away because of the two umpires mix-up, i.e from a "legal" point of view, he could point out that the correct "procedure" was not followed and he was only seeking a clarification and was not appealing against the apparent decision.

It was the umpires who were on the backfoot since, as this was not a run-out or stumping decision, the "green-red" light could not have been used.

Whether Mahbubur Rahman actually understood what he was being asked for does not detract from the fact that he had no business "in these circumstances" to show the green light.

There is another point. If Aftab was indeed out , why are so many of us complaining ? Are we any better than Ponting ?

Spitfire_x86
April 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
There is another point. If Aftab was indeed out , why are so many of us complaining ? Are we any better than Ponting ?
Despite getting bad decisions in past, we never forced umpires to change their decision (one can argue that we never had mouths and guts like Aussies). In fact, there's very few occasions where our player was fined/warned for showing dissent against umpire's decision. A big difference with Aussies and few other test teams.

The point is we sticked to the rules, but Ponting didn't . Showing dissent aginst the umpires' decision means breaking code of conduct, forcing umpires to change their decision is out of the question.

bangla_fan
April 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
I think Moboab Ramhama he scared Aus player. The reason he did that becuase he could lose his job if it was wrong deciasion. But once First Umpire made decesion no one should attempt umpire to exchange his decision. I hope Pointing should get Fine and Suspened from team for rest of the matches. But stupid Bangladeshi moboab Rahaman why he change is opinon. He also should suspended from Umpire. I also beliebe that Bangladeshi shouild not put their own Umpire because they scared to other courntry people which affected our cricket team as usual. Thanks a lot gusy.

ammark
April 16, 2006, 04:26 PM
I just remembered. Umpire Ian Howell SPECIFICALLY asked for 3rd umpire with the motion of his hands too. If it was just to confirm whether it was legally caught or not, or hit the ground, he couldve just walkie-talkied like in all other test matches. This was sheer incompetence and bungling from all parties!

Omio
April 16, 2006, 06:29 PM
Mahbub khela dekhte gia ghumai..

Imtiazk
April 16, 2006, 06:37 PM
Mahbubur Rahman quickly reassessed his dollar earnings if he was taken off the umpire's panel. In BD Taka, even $1000 = Tk. 70000 . That is a lot of mullah to lose.

akabir77
April 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
pointing should be banned. Dmm i hate aussiss now...a lot that is

mshakir56
April 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hey guys relax, take it easy. Aftab was out anyway. All the top order batsman were just a disgrace to the BD cricket.

Shakalaka
April 16, 2006, 07:09 PM
Australian cricket run the ICC . They will never be fined. They run the show.

Also, Mahbubur Rahman is an idiot to say the least.

chinaman
April 16, 2006, 07:32 PM
Some of you guys are reacting like a bunch of kids who never heard of making mistakes. People make mistakes irrespective of who he is or what position he holds.

Umpires made a mistake and they immediately corrected it. They absolutely did the right thing. It would have been a second mistake if they failed to correct it. Instead of calling names and asking for heads, we should be giving credits where & when it is due.

AussieFan
April 17, 2006, 12:18 AM
I thought Ponting was wrong until I realised that the third umpire had made a mistake in giving a decision, giving the green light when he should only have given his views for the head umpire to make a decision. So it was a comedy of errors by the umpires, and Ponting, especialy after the close call in the first test, would not want mistakes of this type causing more surprises !

Bancan
April 17, 2006, 12:25 AM
ponting has been reported by the match referee.

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 12:27 AM
Umpires made a mistake and they immediately corrected it. They absolutely did the right thing. It would have been a second mistake if they failed to correct it. Instead of calling names and asking for heads, we should be giving credits where & when it is due.

right. especially when aftab was out anyways. so there's no point in whining; whether ponting gets punished or not doesn't change anything, really.

Hatebreed
April 17, 2006, 12:40 AM
Whether or not Aftab was out was up to the 3rd umpire and the decision given was 'not out' and that should have been final according to ICC rules.. besides the match referee sitting next to him.. what Ponting did was 'illegal' as the commentators described if you watched the game this morning. It's almost as if a bowler getting a wicket from an illegal bowling action and next day he's told you're not allowed to do that...but the dismissal stands and the damage is done.. luck is not favouring BD at all.

I'd like to see what happens to Ponting now that's he's been reported.. though he'll most likely get away with it.. right now commentators are talking about the weather and saying cricketer Marvin Dillon and some golfers were hit by lightenings! just now Harsha Bhogle asked a very good question- "what happens when a player is hit by a lightening?"

wouldn't it be grand if Ricky Ponting could answer that?

Imtiazk
April 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
At the end of the day, I have to admire Ponting's assertiveness. He got the dismissal which he believed to be the case. He will be reported. Big Deal !! It's like in football you get a yellow card but the goal stands. You will take it anyday.

The Referee has a problem. He cannot censure Ponting without also implying that the Umpire[s] have made an a$$ of themselves.

Miraz
April 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
Some of you guys are reacting like a bunch of kids who never heard of making mistakes. People make mistakes irrespective of who he is or what position he holds.

Very true!! But at the end of the day these mistakes caused a gross violation of playing condition and that was initiated by Ponting. This is the first time a player asked for review once a decision is made. This may start a number of controversary in coming future.

ammark
April 17, 2006, 12:58 AM
The Referee has a problem. He cannot censure Ponting without also implying that the Umpire[s] did not himself know the rule.
Regardless, Match Referee has to hold the game up at its highest level and oversee that its laws are obeyed and respected. Thats what he is there for. It isnt personal, but his incompetency, and that of all the other officials is absolutely disgusting. This is cricket... it has its inexhaustive laws and rules, and this is what makes it special in many people's eyes. The Match Referee is there to make sure the rules and laws are enforced. He is the final recourse in a test match like this after 1->2->3 umpires. He had a walkie talkie too, and should have interceded when this bungle happened. And if it then just reflects his poor judgement on this issue, and it hurts his pride to admit mistake, he has to remember: The Game is Higher than him. This was a most regrettable episode.

However its slightly satisfying to know that Ponting's been reported and will be kept under watch for the next one year.

kalpurush
April 17, 2006, 01:19 AM
Rafiq and Rajin might help Ponting out by giving him a free behavioural lesson on sportsmanship! Do you think it will work?

Sovik
April 17, 2006, 03:39 AM
Ponting is a disgrace. he has attitude problems. but he gets away everytime. he talks about spirit of the game. like "vuter mukhe ram ram"