PDA

View Full Version : Are umpires bullied by big mastans of world cricket?

Navarene
April 16, 2006, 03:02 AM
Clearly these so called elite umpires are biased and vulnerable when the pressure is on by the big teams for an on field decision making. Aftab was given not out first, but that doesnt give the aussies right to challange or ask for review of the umpire's decision. ICC should seriously take a note of today's incident and acts accordingly!

P.S. and the less we talk about our own Mahbubur Rahman is the better. He is a disgrace of Bangladesh cricket!

ghalib.imtiyaz
April 16, 2006, 03:22 AM
I am afraid so.

ammark
April 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
Someone in the match thread mentioned Gavaskar being on the ICC panel overlooking rules and codes of conduct. He was critical of the way Aftab got out. I hope there is a proactive step to bring Ponting to book. It was disgraceful that Aftab was given out in such a manner. Match Referee was sitting right next to Mahbubur Rahman as well. Very disappointed :(

bangla_amar
April 16, 2006, 03:59 AM
While everyone was castigating Ponting asking for a review, it is the umpire to blame who chickened out and obliged. It was digraceful umpiring.

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 04:48 AM
everything is against us. we had many poor decisions lately

Spitfire_x86
April 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
I missed most of today's play. From reading the viewers' reaction in this forum and (comparatively more neutral) cricinfo match report, I think we should definately report this to Match Referee.

Flipper
April 16, 2006, 04:03 PM
First thing we should do is to kidnap Mahbubur, and take him to a deserted island off of the coast of Chittagong, and leave him there!

We can deal with this issue after that.

Beamer
April 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
It was a total carricature out there. Once Mahbub ruled him not out, he should have stayed with his earleir decision the second time around. He is at fault no doubt. Gutless individual is a term that I would use to describe him. Ian Howell is another gutless guy. He should have known that once the decision has been relayed down ( green light lit ), nobody can pressure him to review it one more time. He should have flatly told Ponting to go back fielding. Ponting was arrogant and defied the laws knowing full well the laws regarding the issue. It was upto the on field umpire to tell him off. Aftab was out I thought but that is not the point. When Rajin was out on a no-ball in the first test, do you think the non-striker ( if he saw the no ball ) would have told the umpire that the bowler stepped over and he ( umpire) must review it to confirm his views? I doubt he would have and the umpire would have reported that to the match refree had he done so.

oracle
April 16, 2006, 06:17 PM
Aftab was'nt out . The ball hit the boots and, moreover, batsman should have got the benefit of the doubt after all the hoopla.
Real pity that Ponting has to be Aussie captain. Shame.

tanvir_nus
April 16, 2006, 06:24 PM
Can't anybody do anything?

How long do I have to keep my signature... How long do I have to protest... This is just... nvm, I don't think ICC bothers what we think... we are after all the minnows ..AAAAAAAA

Sorry
April 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
i think elite umpires do have accountability for their mistakes, not sure though how it works.
if an umpire makes mistakes consistently, there must be punishment for it. ICC should act properly and prove that they are a fair organisation not a puppet.

Shakalaka
April 16, 2006, 07:15 PM
Not only the decisions on Aftab. Before that they were making scene about Bret Lee's action. Lee was demanding that Paki Umpire to stand further back. And the umpire was saying he couldnt see the line without standing there. And Lee almost warned him in a way. That is disgusting.

Aus is above all the laws and rules i guess. That way its easy to be world champions.

Hatebreed
April 16, 2006, 07:40 PM
Aussies and India might as well form their own ICC with their own rules and own schedule so they play each other all year... would be lot better than the disrespect they've shown.

layperson
April 16, 2006, 08:36 PM
the way the third umpire reversed his decision( if he did, bcoz i m not sure abt what was askd of him on the walki talki) then he is the biggest loser to tread on earth nd he shud be relieved of his position by BD cricket board.... he is a disgrace to BD cricket.... he shud hv stood up for his decision by giving a diff answer he only made a bigger fool of himself... moreover when i saw the replays it looked like the ball went nd hit the boot nd went striaght up .. dint hit the edge .... however the commentators were saying it was out ... but we all hv our opinions nd if the third umpire thut he had doubt he can say tht it is not out nd override the on field umpires decision if he is being referrred to .. ... however the third umpire showed tht he is spineless person lacking ne dignity for himself

AussieFan
April 17, 2006, 12:22 AM
Aftab was'nt out . The ball hit the boots and, moreover, batsman should have got the benefit of the doubt after all the hoopla.
Real pity that Ponting has to be Aussie captain. Shame.

Well it was a comedy of erors by the umpires. The third umpire ruling instead of giving his opinion. Also the umpires were not firm.

Ponting did his part for Australia and it is not a shame that he is captain.

Bangladesh would do better if Bashar were tough too.

thebest
April 17, 2006, 01:03 AM
Well it was a comedy of erors by the umpires. The third umpire ruling instead of giving his opinion. Also the umpires were not firm.

Ponting did his part for Australia and it is not a shame that he is captain.

Bangladesh would do better if Bashar were tough too.
Dear aussifan,
there are difference among tough, arrogant and bully. No body would say that M Taylor or S Waugh is soft. They were tough. No body would say Richards is humble, he was arrogant. But we like there toughness, arrogance. Is not it a great sight watching Richards hooking/pulling Lillee in Parth wearing a straw hat. But ponting is not tough or arrogant he is a simple bully. He is using his postion as the captain of the best team of the world bullying the minnow. If he was tough where was his toughness againest India in India or in the Ashes. It is shame that he is the captain of one of the world's most talented team in history.
I want Basher to be a meek than this type of bully.

ammark
April 17, 2006, 01:04 AM
I beg to differ, Ponting did NOT do his part. Initially anyway, the umpire specifically motioned with his hands for the 3rd umpire to give a decision (if I remember correctly), and therefore getting the green signal at first was probably well within norms. It would have been more appropriate possibly if the umpire on the field merely wanted vocal confirmation by walkie-talkie alone, like in all other Test matches!

Secondly Ponting asked for a review against the rules and regulations of the game. If you support that, you're basically saying its ok to drink and drive, when its against the law. And sure, he got away with it. But thats what makes him so despised in the world, since he is so shameless in cheating about.

About Bashar: True, he could do with some aggression: but I'd rather he did it by setting a decent field, than cheating. Cricket is above petty self-interest