PDA

View Full Version : Police assaulting senior media persons before start of play

cricket_pagol
April 16, 2006, 07:59 AM
I just read the following article in cricinfo... This is very sad. If you see the picture it kinda shows the attitude of police towards the media and the general public. This is barbaric... how can they beat up a 65 yrs old journalist like that? I cannot think of a hypothetical situation which would justify such acts on unarmed civilians.

Cricinfo link >> (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244555.html)
Getty images Link >> (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c2%7c%7cbangladesh%7c1125084063323127% 7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=1)

Miraz
April 16, 2006, 08:00 AM
Police have brutally beaten some of the senior media persons before the start of play and that resulted in 15 min delay and boycott by the journalists. Its really a shame.

have a look at the pic
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61700/61773.jpg

Miraz
April 16, 2006, 08:01 AM
Another picture of the same incident

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61700/61776.jpg

Journalists are protesting after the brutal incident

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61700/61774.jpg

Braveheart
April 16, 2006, 08:06 AM
What the hell is wrong with the Police? Why do they do stuff like that? It is very damaging for Bangladeshi image. They id the same thing is Kunsut.

How can they beat an old guy like that? I feel very sad.

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 08:08 AM
ugly face of our police. why did they have to attack that old man? whole world has seen this brutality

Carte Blanche
April 16, 2006, 08:09 AM
Words just elude me. These occurences are not a rarity in Bangladesh, but beating up on a 65 year old Photographer who is here to do his job is outrageous. What's worst is nothing will happen to this POS DC despite having his picture published all over the www.

Hatebreed
April 16, 2006, 08:13 AM
This is pathetic.. why beat up an old man?! Shame on our police and shame on us!

Miraz
April 16, 2006, 08:14 AM
Its totally unacceptable, it will ruin our hard earned image. Those stupid illiterate polices have done something which portrayed Bangladesh as a brutal country all over the world. They have to be suspended and punished,

some more pics

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345288.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345225.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345287.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345200.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
this is unacceptable. why do they have to be so aggressive when the whole world is watching

AsifTheManRahman
April 16, 2006, 08:21 AM
pathetic. beating up on a senior citizen like that. simply pathetic. ki emon korsilo je ebhabe mair dite hobe? could have just sent him away or something.

khalifa
April 16, 2006, 08:22 AM
It's time like this when I feel ashamed to be a Bangladeshi. Will this nation ever be civilized??

AsifTheManRahman
April 16, 2006, 08:32 AM
and here's some more media coverage:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244555.html

irteja
April 16, 2006, 09:39 AM
what a shame....but karon ta ki??

AsifTheManRahman
April 16, 2006, 09:49 AM
in the cricinfo report posted above.

Cricket46
April 16, 2006, 10:24 AM
I was just now watching on Channel I a report on police atrocities on the sports journalist in Ctg. It is unbelievable to see the way police attacked the reporters. I think even common criminals should not be beaten up like this, let alone journalists. It is such a shame to watch these video footage.

sabbir ahmad
April 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
MY avatar will contain this image until the sport journalists stop their protest against the most hatred attack on them by the police force.

KaaL-PurusH
April 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
Eureka

got an gr8 idea...

Police should assault our irresponsible players like that. dats da perferct treament for them...dis kinda punishment make them consistent n responsible player...

Omio
April 16, 2006, 11:32 AM
আজ যখন দেখলাম মিডিয়া বক্স খালি, তখন চিন্তা করলাম কি হল...ওটা খালি কেন। পরে জান্তে পারলাম পুলিশের সাথে গন্ডগল হয়েছে। ভাব্ লাম কথা কাটাকাটি।
কিন্ত যখন ছবি গুলো দেখলাম আমার দুই চোখে পানি চলে আসছে।<o>:p</o>হায়্ রে বাংলাদেশ.......এটা যে সব সম্ভবের দেশ।<o>:p</o>লজ্জায় আর বাচি না।<o>:p</o>

cricket_pagla
April 16, 2006, 11:38 AM
:P.. amader Police (fool-ish) er asol choritro.. ekhon bideshi camera te....

ialbd
April 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
eishob pointless kaj kore ki moja paay....

after the incidents the police realises that they did sth wrong (for e.g they withdrew from Kansat after killing all the people).

This is like a hartal where they just beat up whoever they feel like (mane oder moto hoilo agey mair tarpor bhabna)....AFP r website e ei picture gula dekhe khub lojja lagtese....
________
Yamaha raptor 660 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Raptor_660)

Zobair
April 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
shocking! How can one hit an old man like that?! barbaric! I hope this act does not go unpunished.

BD Tigers
April 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
I was watching the game and they didnt broadcast this beating and I'm pretty they did had the footing. Thanks to ESPN for doing that. But the pictures are now in internet which the whole world will see it. Arrogant fool police dept - they shud be beaten like the poor/old Prothom-Alo photographer.

reverse_swing
April 16, 2006, 12:55 PM
From DS (http://thedailystar.net/2006/04/17/d60417040125.htm)

Our apology to readers
Sports Reporter

Dear readers, opening the newspaper you must have been first taken by surprise, then by anger. The second Test between Bangladesh and Australia has got underway in Chittagong on Sunday, but no coverage on that. Dear readers, we beg your apology for this. In fact, we have been forced to deprive you. We too love cricket as much as you do. But to protest the medieval barbarism that police carried out on the journalists, we did not have any way out other than this.

It was not possible for us to file reports while fellow journalists languished in hospital, victims of brutal police assault. To protest this unjust police torture the journalists immediately held a meeting and decided to boycott the Bangladesh-Australia series until the incident was fairly investigated and the guilty police officials were punished. All the national newspapers of the country, local newspapers in Chittagong and all private television channels will carry only the scoreboard of the series. We sincerely feel sorry for the readers for this inconvenience. At the same time we hope that you will also stand by us in this protest by perceiving the whole situation from a pragmatic standpoint.
Dear readers, to go by the unanimous decision taken by our fellow journalists in Chittagong, we are also not publishing our regular column "Akram Inswinger".

dash
April 16, 2006, 01:02 PM
it wasn't just about the old guy.
they beat them like a mob.

some of them are strugling for their life

bangla_fan
April 16, 2006, 01:06 PM
I think [ ] plice should not beat the older reporter like Police Dady, I will move those ploice [ ] who had been beat those senior reporter. It's ok to beat yonger reporter. But onel OLD reporter which age would be same as Plice [ ] father age how could he beat that person. I think those police have doen for whatever reason they should beg to those reporter or terminate them ASAP. That's why Bangladeshi people can't trust plice because of their behavior. [ ] them those who did that.

cricketboy
April 16, 2006, 01:21 PM
Our Police is so bad man. Journalist are one of the main divisions in a cricket match and they did like this to them. They can never beat somebody like that. There should be legal action against the stupids.

fishyguy
April 16, 2006, 01:39 PM
Basically they're savages yet to evolve from beasts to humans. They're the scum of the earth.

But what are ya gonna do.

Sovik
April 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
what a shame. this photos will be on all over the place. i feel sorry for that man

mildwind
April 16, 2006, 01:58 PM
Where is the manner? How come a police dares to touch a civil like that? How come we overlook this kind of situation saying it is preety common in BD? When will we stand up together against those devils? Or face the same humiliation one day. Are we so poor against those numbered polices? Is our constitution make them to do whatever they want in whatever the way they want?

Please BD, rise one more time. Wipe off all the corruptions, evil powers.

fishyguy
April 16, 2006, 02:08 PM
Where is the manner? How come a police dares to touch a civil like that? How come we overlook this kind of situation saying it is preety common in BD? When will we stand up together against those devils? Or face the same humiliation one day. Are we so poor against those numbered polices? Is our constitution make them to do whatever they want in whatever the way they want?

Please BD, rise one more time. Wipe off all the corruptions, evil powers.

Its a hopeless cause.The people in power will kill you before you can even think of making any changes.

Its a vicious cycle that seems to have no end.

Its pointless even talking about it because we know about all the problems, we've seen it all our lives and if you want to make changes for the better the MAN will just bring you down.

I dont even wanna talk about it.

akabir77
April 16, 2006, 02:12 PM
police is saying that reporters tried to invade the pitch again during launch and thats why they beat them up???? stupied police they should have take this chance and beat up ahsrafull too

ammark
April 16, 2006, 04:14 PM
Well I'm glad all this media attention is there on this case of police brutality. Shikkha deowa uchit to these people with a power-trip. Oshobbho jotoshob; and they are supposed to serve with dignity and honour?? Kisher dignity when "Chittagong District Controller (D.C.) North AKbor" (sic) of Chittagong Metropolitan Police beats up a venerable elderly photojournalist with such rage. SHAMEFUL! He and his whole force should be suspended! They dont deserve to protect the law if they harass the innocent!

gravitY
April 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
shame!! [censored] DC Port of ctg, [censored] him

sar2005
April 16, 2006, 04:32 PM
Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!

How long we will need to be ashamed like this? I just noticed the news in almost every daily’s front page with pictures. This is absolutely incredible to believe how brutal this attack was. Whatever the issue, you can’t attack journalists like this. In such a occasion while the whole world is observing and we are striving for the pride, how these stupid policeman even dare to do such a thing. Ma’n I just read that Ponting was recording the whole incident in his camera. It would not be surprising if they sometime include these new topics in their sledging.

I strongly condemn this brutal attack and hope & pray that someone will take necessary action against those bast***s. If none is taking action against them, I strongly believe SOMEONE all above will definitely not allow this to go without proper punishment. They will DEFINITELY need to pay for this heinous and brutal activity.

Oh Allah, give us sense and save us from being ashamed again and again.

howzatt!
April 16, 2006, 04:33 PM
i would remember this test match where not bangladesh cricket team, but bangladesh as a nation lost.

aosaif
April 16, 2006, 04:43 PM
cricket is something that gives us a temporary illusion from the reality that is Bangladesh. And now you see that reality fighting to destroy our illusion. I think we all have to face the fact that cricket is just a game.....it can barely do any good for our country.

Miraz
April 16, 2006, 04:45 PM
Speechless, after watching news coverage on satelite channels and print media, I do not know how to express my anger. This is simply utter stupidity and brutality. It has damaged Bangladesh's image to the world and even test wins or ODI wins cannot recover such damage.

Its a shame that BCB is silent in this issue and have not taken appropriate actions to resolve this issue. I am surprised to see no senior officials from government or BNP condemned the issue only AL officials have raised their voice. Is this brutal incident will be ignored on political biasness??

I do not know how it will be solved. But if concerned persons do not respond properly, Chittagong will lose test venue and it will be a black day in the history of Bangladesh Cricket

Frost
April 16, 2006, 05:03 PM
What a shame! I've lost my words to condemn this horrible incident. Now the photos and videos are in the media. Ricky Ponting has video taped the incident. As a Bangladeshi I used to show my pride to my foreigner friends that Bangladeshis are true fan of this game. Now this incident will be used against us for a long time. I'm not surprised with our political parties' response (or lack of that) - they have failed us long time ago. I hope something will be done and people (specially, the police) will come to their senses.

Bancan
April 16, 2006, 05:27 PM
Bangladesh police force is the worst one in the world. its corrupted and doesnt hav the sense of their actions

cricketboy
April 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
i just saw the report in channel I. there were 2 fights, one before the match and one at luch break. The way the police were using their guns and legs to hit them were brutal. There were bloods on the journalists.

layperson
April 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
another shameful act of the police brings our head down .....it is incidents like these tht make u wonder where BD is going .... police atrocities, bad governance whoever is in power ( doesnt matter if it is Al or BNP or JP), corruption .. the list goes on .... on one hand we hv these extreme cases of barbarism and illiterate ppl holdin the country to ransom nd on the other hand we hv healthy economic growth of 6percent per annum .... i feel the only way BD can ever get itself out of this mess is if we hv an alternative to these stupid parties..... good ppl like Kamal hossain do form parties but then they r not evil enough to make sure their party gets newhere .....this is all too frustrating .. the only way good ppl will come to power is if the ppl of BD boycott the axis of evil ... but in a country where so many ppl r ill informed and so emotional..... i dont see this happening.... the only light i see is if we hv an honest person as a dictator who is patriotic nd will put all these politicians to jail nd work for the country ........

istiak
April 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
Looking at these photos i asked myself once again, should we call our country a civilized one? I think from the very first day i entered into Dhaka Stadium i know him (around in 1981). he is such a figure. He is now 65 and still has to face such barbaric act!!!

Shame on government.....The Police officer involved is Mr Ali Akbar (ex Chatro dal leader)??? If we keep importing these kind of people in the police what else they can do??

I don’t want to import any politics in this forum but I am really hurt today…Sorry

SMHasan
April 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
আমি কি লিখবো সেটা নিজেই বুঝতে পারছি না! মানুষ মানুষকে কেমনে ওভাবে পেটাতে পারে? অবশ্য কান্সাটে যা হয়েছে তারপর আর কিছু বলার থাকে না। কিন্তু খেলার মাঠে এটা করা হলো এবার আর আমাদেরকে ছোট করা হলো সবার কাছে। রিকি পন্টিং ভিডিও করেছেন ঘটনাগুলো! কি লজ্জা। এত লজ্জা কোথায় রাখি?

নিচে নামতে নামতে আমরা আর পথ পাইনা নিচে নামার। আমাদের রাগ কি একটু ও দমিয়ে রাখতে পারিনা?

আমি অভিশাপ দেই পুলিশ নামক পশুদের।

mshakir56
April 16, 2006, 07:15 PM
What is wrong with these police !These guys were acting like they are LAPD and beating up some black guy.

DotBall
April 16, 2006, 09:16 PM
Lately, cricket was one of the rare good thing we were looking forward among the caos within the country. Now, cricket might be in danger.

shaoun
April 16, 2006, 09:37 PM
this is sick. i support the journalist 100%. i hope these police officers are punished for what they deserve.

thebest
April 16, 2006, 10:56 PM
Government hiring lobby for image building. This is the image u got.
shame shame shame.
This is first time I feel ashamed of my nationality.

PoorFan
April 17, 2006, 12:19 AM
People of Bangladesh ( including me ) always tend to cross the line and limitation. This incident reflect that bangla nature perfectly, which has ultimately lead to a barbaric violence and pathetic moral display.

As far I learned from newspaper, the incident or fight took place between a journalist and a police officer at first. They took this PERSONAL fight to a GROUP fight, between polices vs journalists, instead settle that PERSONAL incident between them ( that police officer & that journalist ). At this point they already crossed a civilized and moral line, yet they ( those journalist ) went for occupy the ground just before the test match start! This is utterly stupidity, beyond any justification and limitation! I mean there are thousands of NATIVE and FOREIGN people are involved with a INTERNATIONAL TEST match, who has absolutely nothing to do with that simple PERSONAL fight between two STUPID guys, who failed to settled the thing between them. Finally the match referee and BCB members had to request them to evacuate the ground! What the hell is that? What kind of freedom give them the right to interrupt other peoples freedom and right? In my opinion this is never could be the way of protest demanding INSTANT "justice" of a personal incident. In this point, our so called EDUCATED bunch of journalists crossed the worst possible line of civilize and manner, and in such a way that every school student would have recognized the difference! No surprise they ( news paper ) are all singing their SYMPATHY song of police brutality, but totally forgot to look back to their own foot step.

On the other hand, police has crossed the line of brutality in front of international audience! Why they had to bit up a bunch of journalists to do their job? Why they didn't grab and carry those ( one by one ) journalists and threw them out of stadium? It's a shame and disgraceful for a nation the way police treated those journalists. Here our police crossed the line and limitation of civilization every worst possible way. At the end I blame both of them ( police and journalists ) for their shameful did, and big shame to those losers.

ibnul
April 17, 2006, 02:58 AM
This shows how primitive we are, I am ashamed of Bangladesh, police is not someone came from burma or india,they are born and grown up in the society . they are our brothers and see how inhuman and unlawful they can be. That really makes me feel sick as I thought that could be me, beating an old man !!! Shame shame shame !!!

Konka33
April 17, 2006, 03:06 AM
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=109

I just couldn't resist the tears when I saw the TV footage

Konka33
April 17, 2006, 03:13 AM
poor fan...I feel for u. You haven't seen the footages and you haven't seen the newspapers. The first incident was as brutal as the second and the journalists never stopped the Test. They were out of the ground atleast 10 minutes before play was supposed to start. Try to understand the situation first before u go bla bla bla.Have some respect for the journalist community. They are the reason why our cricket is so vibrant these days. I wish I could be a journalistand follow the Bangladesh team. It's a matter of pride.

BDFan
April 17, 2006, 03:46 AM
It's ok to beat yonger reporter.

its ok to beat up young reporters??? hah thats both funny and stupid at the same time

BDFan
April 17, 2006, 03:48 AM
that police guy in the pic should be kicked out of police force

Miraz
April 17, 2006, 04:00 AM
that police guy in the pic should be kicked out of police force

But who is gonna make that kick??

I think his high officials are slapping his back and is supporting him for his idiotic act, because that what they learn and do.

Daddy_Mac
April 17, 2006, 04:17 AM
I think the series should be stopped until the gov't and police learn their lessons...First at Kanset...now inside the stadium this is not tolarable.....
My suggestion stop the series that way Bd can get out from the brink of a humiliating defeat and gov't and police will learn their lessons.....
"The police has gone tooo far this time"

Sovik
April 17, 2006, 04:35 AM
police is saying that reporters tried to invade the pitch again during launch and thats why they beat them up???? stupied police they should have take this chance and beat up ahsrafull too

why not bashar.

there should be limit for everything. just because they have powere doesn't mean they can do anything. for them we did not have any reports in news papers. and the guy gave the order to beat the journalist should be given a memorable punishment

PoorFan
April 17, 2006, 04:42 AM
Konka33,

Yes, I haven't see the footage, but I did read the news paper, cant help you if you have doubt on that. Yes, the first incident could be brutal as the second, and I have no argue with that. Let me clear myself first, I am not taking a side of police here, nor justifying their brutal behavior at all. And I also think those police should be closed, who were responsible for brutal action.

Here is the police part in case you missed it ...
On the other hand, police has crossed the line of brutality in front of international audience! Why they had to bit up a bunch of journalists to do their job? Why they didn't grab and carry those ( one by one ) journalists and threw them out of stadium? It's a shame and disgraceful for a nation the way police treated those journalists. Here our police crossed the line and limitation of civilization every worst possible way. At the end I blame both of them ( police and journalists ) for their shameful did, and big shame to those losers.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

However, I am also pointing out the journalist's part. WHY one PERSONAL fight should become a GROUP fight in the first place? WHY they have to occupy the ground as a protest? Wasn't there any other way to think about, and settle the matter in peaceful manner? What stupid relation does it have with the ground and the match, because someone well reputed journalist has been brutally assaulted by a police officer? What kind of logic is that? I am sorry but I cant buy it.

That's why I called it as typical Bangla nature, once you have s**t in your a**, you always try to split all over the people around you, no matter how bad it become to other people. Remember any road accident on Dhaka street? people goes for burn and demolish every thing on the street or around the street, for what? showing anger or protest? Who is suffering for that? no doubt vast number of innocent people. Our journalists are very generous to focus on peoples misery in that case, isn't it?

You are asking me for respect that kind of logic and people? I am sorry cant help you. Some journalist following Bangladesh cricket, doesn't deserve the right to occupy the TEST match ground, just because one of them was brutally assaulted by a security police, or does it bring some pride back to them? I don't think so, rather it's seems to me too much of emotional mind.

Besides why do you care on a comment which you think just a bla bla bla?

AussieFan
April 17, 2006, 07:21 AM
This is ugly. Next we'll hear of the Police assaulting senior Bangla cricketers for not performing and letting down millions of fans !

mzia
April 17, 2006, 08:11 AM
Its totally unacceptable, it will ruin our hard earned image. Those stupid illiterate polices have done something which portrayed Bangladesh as a brutal country all over the world. They have to be suspended and punished,

some more pics

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345225.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345287.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xt/57345200.jpg?v=1&g=editorial_asiapac&s=1

…Please don’t worried about the image of Bangladesh, to protect that and to restore that, Government has appointed professional American lobbyist…

Miraz
April 17, 2006, 09:05 AM
Just heard in ATN Bangla news that Home Minister expressed his grievance over the situation, he suspended the concerned Sergeant and the DC port (culprit Akbar) is closed and will face disciplinary action.

At least this time, home ministry havn't supported the stupidity of police .

Logo
April 17, 2006, 09:10 AM
That's why I called it as typical Bangla nature, once you have s**t in your a**, you always try to split all over the people around you, no matter how bad it become to other people.

i'm astonished to see your insight into the Bangali psyche. i hope that you have come to your conclusion after conducting extensive emperical analysis. my oh my, aren't YOU proud to be a Bangladeshi:eek: please keep your negativity to yourself and stop posting nonsensical comments like this.

Mr. AussieFan, we're mortified enough as it is without you rubbing it in.:mad:

i have no words to describe the brutality shown by our ''PROTECTORS"...and it stings as i realize they are going to get out of this with a mere slap on the wrists, maybe even that's not going to happen.:-(

mildwind
April 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
Someone told that it is a vicious cycle!!!! The MAN would shoot u down before u raise ur head up.It is a daily life kind of thing to have an elderly humiliated by police, we all know. Then why are we so moved by this incident? WHY? Is it because the whole world was seeing us?

Shame on you, BD. Spit on those who supports those beast by thinking what we can do. Look at Kansat what they have done. And think again what you are thinking.

Hasib
April 17, 2006, 09:22 AM
Shameful. Thats the only word for it.

on a side note... its not just our police who are that bad. There are other countries like that. and PoorFan... "typical Bangla nature"...??? thats just so wrong of you to say that

mildwind
April 17, 2006, 09:25 AM
its ok to beat up young reporters??? hah thats both funny and stupid at the same time

Pathetic at the same time

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
well poorfan, i agree with you. both of your posts, as a matter of fact. while this incident was not at all acceptable, stopping play for 15 minutes was nothing more than stupid; why make thousands other suffer and take part in destroying the country's image along with the ones whose acts you're protesting? police e to pitaise - dorshokra to r pitay nai...icc to pitay nai...so why stop a test match?

i'm sure there are other ways of protesting, like a simple boycott of the test match, which would still have hurt, but wouldn't have disrupted the proceedings.

asholey ekta arektar theke kharap.

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 10:12 AM
It's ok to beat yonger reporter.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh man you made my day! cholen amra shobai young reporter pitai...good for health...

Daddy_Mac
April 17, 2006, 10:13 AM
This is ugly. Next we'll hear of the Police assaulting senior Bangla cricketers for not performing and letting down millions of fans !

Don't worry mite if police beat JO or Ashraful for not performing well Iwill be far from let down ecstatic....and the will perform 100% to save them-selves from deserved punish ment(in my view)....:p:p:p

Sauron
April 17, 2006, 10:15 AM
Flaming disgrace!

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
Ok! The police did the worst thing possible. But we are going overboard on blaming 110% on the police.

1) Police's 1st job is to protect security. i am sure Australian team didn't feel safe when the journalist like mobs came running up the stairs towards their dressing room.

2) I am sure with the recent bombing and high profile event (test match) police had clear instructions to confront all challenges with sheer force. So the top level officers are as much guilty as the ones who carried out the brutality.

3) have any of you ever been involved in a group fight? It always starts with one-on-one and then it spreads. Go to DU and you will see how brutally the love gets spread. Who ever has the stick wins the fight.

4) As far as i know the arguement started with one of the media member trying to enter from a wrong gate with his media pass. Upon confrontation the media guy still wanted to go in no matter what. Things escalated from there.

No way I am taking the Police's side. They did something totally wrong and should get punished for that if true justice prevails in BD (I doubt it). Not the entire blame can be put on the police. it takes two to start a fight. Media should act reasonably when things like this happen. They are not a mob. They have no jurisdiction over the field and cannot stage an on field demostration and sit around the pitch. That's going overboard and asking for trouble.

এক হাতে তালি বাজে না।

Sauron
April 17, 2006, 12:16 PM
এক হাতে তালি বাজে না।

আমাদের দেশের পুলিশ এক হাতেই তালি বাজাতে পারে।

এই গল্পটা অনেকেই জানেন ... তারপরেও প্রাসঙ্গিক বলে আপনাদের বিরক্তি উৎপাদনের সাহস করছি -

বাংলাদেশ, ভারত আর আমেরিকা'র পুলিশদের কম্পিটিশান। বনের ভিতরে গিয়ে একটা বাঘ ধরে আন্‌তে হবে। প্রথমে গেলো আমেরিকা'র পুলিশ, অনেক রকম যন্ত্রপাতি আর আধুনিক সরঞ্জাম নিয়ে। কিন্তু ফেরত এলো খালি হাতে।

তারপরে গেলো ভারতীয় পুলিশ। আমেরিকা'র মত অত অত্যাধুনিক যন্ত্রপাতি না থাকলেও তাদের দলের সদস্য সংখ্যা অনেক ... দেড়শো কোটি মানুষের দেশ বলে কথা। অনেক চেষ্টা'র পরে তারাও ফিরে এলো খালি হাতে।

সব শেষে বনে ঢুকলো বাংলাদেশ দলের দুই তিন জনের ছোট খাটো একটা দল। তাদের যন্ত্র পাতি বলতে শুধু একটা করে মোটা লাঠি। একটু পরেই একটা ছাগলকে প্রচন্ড পেটাতে পেটাতে বাংলাদেশের বীর পুলিশ দল বন থেকে বের হয়ে আসলো। মার খেয়ে ছাগলটা চিৎকার করছে - "আমি বাঘ! আমিই বাঘ!!"।

The goal of Police should be to quell trouble. In this instance, they were partners-in-crime for inciting and escalating trouble.

Instead of hitting that elderly photographer, sometimes the police need to tolerate some hits on their own bodies and not react. It takes patience and good training on crowd control.

But then, who am I kidding here! It's Bangladeshi Police. :(

Bancan
April 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
. Next we'll hear of the Police assaulting senior Bangla cricketers for not performing and letting down millions of fans !
i will be happy be they do that. :D

akbar1
April 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
I guess it takes two to tango!!!!!
If the journalist broke the security meassures than they should have been arrested and barred from the stadium. But apperantly the photographer ponched the officer in charge claming he is a famous journilist ect....and naturaly the officer's crew reacted to the violiance. But even if this was the case, they should have been arrested and dealth with at the local police station and not in front of the world's live audiance. Personaly I feel both parties were wrong. so what is the reaction of the world media, well Australian media guys have already started questioning Bangladesh's test status. To them I say, what has got to do with a county's test status when a simple breach of stadium security has accoured. I think the bottom line is, the Aussie's are scared that one day, not too far away, they will go down in the hand's of Bangladesh. The cricketers that is NOT the police! ha ha

shamster
April 17, 2006, 01:04 PM
Disgusting. More disgusting because his an old man more disgusting because you actually see the DC (deputy commissioner Akbar) lashing out with venom.

I have just emailed the Prime Ministers Office I hope to get some kind of feed back.
That guy better get arrested !!!

Sauron
April 17, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have just emailed the Prime Ministers Office I hope to get some kind of feed back.

What a concept!!! Emailing the prime minister's office. Why did I not think of it! I have about a couple of million complaints that needs the prime minister to intervene.

Btw, do they have computers in the prime minister's office?

mildwind
April 17, 2006, 01:49 PM
Ok! The police did the worst thing possible. But we are going overboard on blaming 110% on the police.

1) Police's 1st job is to protect security. i am sure Australian team didn't feel safe when the journalist like mobs came running up the stairs towards their dressing room.

2) I am sure with the recent bombing and high profile event (test match) police had clear instructions to confront all challenges with sheer force. So the top level officers are as much guilty as the ones who carried out the brutality.

3) have any of you ever been involved in a group fight? It always starts with one-on-one and then it spreads. Go to DU and you will see how brutally the love gets spread. Who ever has the stick wins the fight.

4) As far as i know the arguement started with one of the media member trying to enter from a wrong gate with his media pass. Upon confrontation the media guy still wanted to go in no matter what. Things escalated from there.

এক হাতে তালি বাজে না।

Oh ic. So, it was not really all cops fault. Media men were involved in it. I really donot know what went wrong there. Please enlighten me.

Is it fact that Media men started running towards Dressing room firstup instead of so called 'invading pitch' making situation vulnerable for players? I thought ex-captains made a press realease terming the role of police was terrible.

Was it a fact that they were a possible threat of bombing? So cops charged them heavily for security purpose with superior's directions and let them go free.

Was it also a fact that the elderly Photographer physically humiliated DC Akbar? Why dont they issue a law-suit and use video (especially RTV) footage as evidence? In that case that photographer has to go for a vacation in jail.

See there is one more fact I did not know. Media personnel were trying to enter wrong gate. Cops tried to make a correction. But no result. So, what they do is give the photographer a short lesson how to choose the right gate. Interestingly, more journalists showed up momentarily to help them. And they all were close to wrong gate.

Sabash Bangali. Hai, we don't need to import lobbyist for improving our image. We have got some already. Give them the job. It certainly will make some new jobs, eh?

babubangla
April 17, 2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61700/61773.jpg

This Police-guy now became a national culprit after this incident.
I wonder what would have happened if the recipient of his mighty punches was Ashraful instead of the elderly journalist. Just imagine that this police-guy is punching Ashraful out of frustration when Ash was coming back to pavilion after his weird, poor dismissal. To some cricket fans, this police-guy would have been a National Hero!!
:)

istiak
April 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
My dear PoorFan,

I don't know how long you have been out of the country? You don't have to do anything to make police barbaric in our beloved country. People was asking for electricity in Kansat and was shot and now here in Chittagong. These phenomena are gatting so common in our country.

Let me comment specifically:

1. How on earth you got this so call “PERSONAL fight”? Except police press release no one called it a fight. By definition a fight need two parties, but there police was the only party. The journalist (actually a photographer) Shamsul Islam Tenku is working for Prothom Alo for many years and he knows the situation of BD much better than you and me. He was duly holding a valid parking sticker for journalist and still police forced him to go away, when he complained they started to beat him. At that point Farzana Godhuli ( you should know her as a cricket fan) came to rescue him and every body know what happened. It was not a personal fight at all and so your point is not valid.

2. “settle that PERSONAL incident” Journalists were actually asking for a settlement.

3. You just can't call some one “Stupid” before knowing the fact completely, it rather pronounce yourself “Stupid”.

4. Can you show me any justice against the brutality of our police force ever under any governments? So it was not at all possible.

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
I have just emailed the Prime Ministers Office

emailed the pm's office. heh. hehe. hehehe.

zakirc
April 17, 2006, 03:54 PM
There was a time when I used to express my happiness whenever I read that a member of the Police Has been killed/injured/beaten by a Mastan or by Activists. My point was, these are the people who allow those Mastans and activists to grow thier muscle by taking bribe from them and we, the general people, become the victims. So its good to see that they too get the same treatment (At least sometimes from their own creations).

Just like the way I support the cross-fire action by RAB because I do not consider the victims as Human Beings, I always cheered beating/killing of Bangladeshi police because I do not think they are human. This one incedent came into your attention because of the wide Media Coverage ... there are literally hundreds of similar incedents happenign every day (Yes Every Day) and even someone living in Bangladesh comes to know about only a few of those incedents.

My friends used to boo me suggesting that this kind of incidents should never make someone happy. Well, yesterday's incident only made my feelings towards our Police even stronger ... next time I see an incident of a police being the victim, maybe I will dsitribute sweet to celebrate.

The funniest thing of all is whenever the police is the victim, somehow he becomes an Honest Hardworking member of the force .. .something that is simply non-existant.

By the way ... regarding the Police beating Journalist .... I really think it is an OK incedent .... they truely deserve each other. As long as it happened behind the International media's eyes .... I really wouldn't complain. Our journalists are the worst in the world .. 99.99% of them take huge amount of bribe and write thier reports to suite the highest Briber ....

rudro
April 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
Konka33,

Yes, I haven't see the footage, but I did read the news paper, cant help you if you have doubt on that. Yes, the first incident could be brutal as the second, and I have no argue with that. Let me clear myself first, I am not taking a side of police here, nor justifying their brutal behavior at all. And I also think those police should be closed, who were responsible for brutal action.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

However, I am also pointing out the journalist's part. WHY one PERSONAL fight should become a GROUP fight in the first place? WHY they have to occupy the ground as a protest? Wasn't there any other way to think about, and settle the matter in peaceful manner? What stupid relation does it have with the ground and the match, because someone well reputed journalist has been brutally assaulted by a police officer? What kind of logic is that? I am sorry but I cant buy it.

That's why I called it as typical Bangla nature, once you have s**t in your a**, you always try to split all over the people around you, no matter how bad it become to other people. Remember any road accident on Dhaka street? people goes for burn and demolish every thing on the street or around the street, for what? showing anger or protest? Who is suffering for that? no doubt vast number of innocent people. Our journalists are very generous to focus on peoples misery in that case, isn't it?

You are asking me for respect that kind of logic and people? I am sorry cant help you. Some journalist following Bangladesh cricket, doesn't deserve the right to occupy the TEST match ground, just because one of them was brutally assaulted by a security police, or does it bring some pride back to them? I don't think so, rather it's seems to me too much of emotional mind.

My apology for late reaction! There is no way I can express my disgust for such heinous act! (সাংবাদিক ভদ্রলোক আমার বাবার মত হবেন) I am glad to see how people in BC forum are protesting the incident. I have to agree with Poorfan, though. সাংবাদিকরা যদি জাতির বিবেক হয়েও না বুঝতে পারেন যে একজন সাংবাদিকের উপর নির্যাতনের প্রতিবাদ জানানোর উপায় একমাত্র একটা আন্তর্জাতিক ম্যাচে বিঘ্ন ঘটান নয়, তবে বাংলা ক্রিকেটের সন্মানিত সদস্যদের আমি দোষ দিইনা। অসির চেয়ে মসির শক্তি বেশি - সাংবাদিকেরাই ত তাই বলেন! Somebody sent an email to PMO and another member makes laugh of it! What a world we live in! ভাংচুর আর জালাও-পোড়ও এর সংস্কৃতিতে একটা ইমেইল এর অবদান মাননীয় সদস্যের বোঝার কথা নয়। পুলিশের বর্বরতার লজ্জাকে এক কদম বাড়িয়ে দিয়েছেন আমাদের সাংবাদিক ভায়েরা।

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
so you think sending an email to the PMO is not a waste of time...you and i were not born in the same bangladesh, in that case.

babubangla
April 17, 2006, 04:23 PM

You hope to get feedback from PM's Office !!!:) :)
It takes at least 2o people to die before getting any feedback from PM office.
PM Office do not reply e-mail, rather they issue press-notes.
At best you may expect some press-notes like this:

"The government notices with concern that some people sending derogatory e-mail to the PM’s office to create panic among govt. employees and instability in the country. The government urged people to provide information about the miscreants and their plans, if they have any, to the nearest police stations."

rudro
April 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
so you think sending an email to the PMO is not a waste of time...you and i were not born in the same bangladesh, in that case.
If you think, I am the only one sending the email, then its a waste of time. How about we can populate her email by sending 20000 such emails?

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
like Sauron said, there are millions of issues that one would like to email her with.

esteban_loaiza
April 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
Certainly police went way overboard to assault the journalists like this. The act was even too cruel for criminals. But, however, does anyone know why the journalists were occupying the ground on that day? If they wanna protest, they could have done something else like boycotting the match as they are doing right now. But occupying the ground so that the play cannot be started or may be delayed was not a civilized idea as well. May be it is the common culture in our society to do "hartal" or block road and the journalists did the same on that day. Beacuse of the horrendous act by the police now nobody talks about that, these journalists are morons too......

akbar1
April 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
Come on give me a break. email ing the PMO office! Get real man.
Old people much older than that photographer gets beating everyday in Bnagladesh and NO one even raises an eye brow. That a fact.
Just cos the world media was there on that day, they are making a big hoo yaa about the incident. Joke.............

SMHasan
April 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
Konka33,

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Whatever you say I can't even think about of beating people like this. This is injustice. Totally injustice. Society doesn't give anyone the power to hit others physically. We proved that we are still living in a primitive wild age.

The journalists might make a mistake by protesting in the ground delaying the match but it was not a big deal. World people knew the famous beating before their protest through the television. Even Ricky Ponting recorded the footages. So don't blame the reporters for leaking the news to the world.

Again please dont teach us about the Bangladeshi police .....they raped Yasmeen.....they killed Rubel....they killed Suhel.....both of them were student.what they have not done? Bunch of culprits. I hate them. I curse them.

PoorFan
April 17, 2006, 08:04 PM
i'm astonished to see your insight into the Bangali psyche. i hope that you have come to your conclusion after conducting extensive emperical analysis. my oh my, aren't YOU proud to be a Bangladeshi:eek: please keep your negativity to yourself and stop posting nonsensical comments like this.

<!--StartFragment -->Yeah, I wish to be a proud Bangladeshi like you are! not blind and open minded with tolerance.:)
<!--StartFragment -->

chinaman
April 17, 2006, 09:07 PM
Sadly, applying physical force still remains within our society, much so in the law enforcement sector. What is even more sickening is the complete departure from the readily available 'booking' options, should it be needed, by the cops in favor of a shameless on-the-spot-in-your-face violent approach.

Citizens as well as the guests have the right to know what exactly happened and how it got out of hand. Law enforcement and BCCB authorities have a duty to be transperant and come up clean here and to make sure nothing like this happens again in an International event.

My heart goes out for the victims.

layperson
April 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
i knw this might be out of topic but hv u ppl heard abt the police beating up a housewife b4 hartal ? she was returning home after dropping her son smwhere nd on her way back she was beaten up by police who thut she was an opposition activist.... this was too much .... tht woman is a citizen of the country who had no links with ne political party nor was she out there to support hartal .... how ever she was sent to the hospital by the police .... her husband is a lawyer of the supreme court nd has logded a case against the police... so far i hv not come across ne punishment being metted out to those police ppl responsible such an act.... the housewife was traumatized after this incident .... this happend very recently ..... tht woman cud hv been ne of our mother sister or relative ...... i curse the police personnel who r involved in such acts .... in fact i myself had an run in with a police sergeant two days b4 i was flying for canada last summer .... our car was stopped nd the sergeant was asking rubbish questions to our driver since the papers were in order nd he prolly was looking for bribe ... i went upto him nd he threatend me saying tht "jail e dhukay pitabo rokto eto gorom keno tomar" all bcoz i told him to hurry up since he did not find nething wrong with the papers .... then i had to call my dad nd hv him talk to the sergeant who later apologized ....

PoorFan
April 17, 2006, 10:14 PM
I don't know how long you have been out of the country? You don't have to do anything to make police barbaric in our beloved country. People was asking for electricity in Kansat and was shot and now here in Chittagong. These phenomena are gatting so common in our country.

<!--StartFragment -->I have no argue on how barbaric and brutal those police was. I did mention it in my previous post you may read it again.

1. How on earth you got this so call “PERSONAL fight”? Except police press release no one called it a fight. By definition a fight need two parties, but there police was the only party. The journalist (actually a photographer) Shamsul Islam Tenku is working for Prothom Alo for many years and he knows the situation of BD much better than you and me. He was duly holding a valid parking sticker for journalist and still police forced him to go away, when he complained they started to beat him. At that point Farzana Godhuli ( you should know her as a cricket fan) came to rescue him and every body know what happened. It was not a personal fight at all and so your point is not valid.

<!--StartFragment -->No matter how you define a "fight", but the fact is, the fight has started between Mr. Tenku ( a person ) and a police officer ( a person ), This well reputed journalist had valid parking sticker, definitely had argument with security police, was forced to go away, but got beaten up when he complain, and all these happened between a journalist and a police officer for whatever reason we don't know! How do you define this if not a "PERSONAL fight" at this point? Where is the detail of that argument and actual conversation between him and the police officer? How come a well reputed journalist and veteran photographer let the thing go too far to be beaten up, knowing the situation of BD better then us? As long as he had valid parking sticker, he should have done better than this, and settle problem between security police and him personally.

I really like to see Mr. Tenku's picture on media and really like know what exactly their conversations were, and what actually was the argument.

2. “settle that PERSONAL incident” Journalists were actually asking for a settlement.

Asking for settlement in which way? occupying the TEST match ground? Match referee and other official have to ask them to leave the ground is the way of settlement?

3. You just can't call some one “Stupid” before knowing the fact completely, it rather pronounce yourself “Stupid”.

<!--StartFragment -->Of course I can call both ( police and journalist ) as "stupid" on this particular case, or should I call you and me and other 140 millions of BD cricket fan as "stupid", who has nothing to do with a bunch of police and journalists, who put down the whole nation and displayed a pathetic scene to international audience?

<!--StartFragment -->4. Can you show me any justice against the brutality of our police force ever under any governments? So it was not at all possible.

<!--StartFragment -->I never dare to justify police brutality which seems you didn't noticed yet, read my previous post ,and still it doesnt justify occupying the TEST match ground.

zakirc
April 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
FYI DC Akbar has been Closed , a Sergent has been Suspended and our good old "Chul Khara" Babor has expressed his condolences and condemned the incedent.

Details: Prothom Alo (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=1&Date=2006-04-18&filename=18h2)

aosaif
April 18, 2006, 10:54 AM
like Sauron said, there are millions of issues that one would like to email her with.

True! True! Of the many things I'd like to discuss with the Prime Minister such as taxes, image elevation, grassroots welfare projects, etc, I'd particularly like to question the PM about the state of her hair, because it rather "blows" at the current point in time.

rudro
April 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
True! True! Of the many things I'd like to discuss with the Prime Minister such as taxes, image elevation, grassroots welfare projects, etc, I'd particularly like to question the PM about the state of her hair, because it rather "blows" at the current point in time.
LOL...................

Omio
April 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
এই খানে ১টা নিউজ ক্লিপ আছে, সেই বরবরতার .......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En_NlkQNFFM<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

shamster
April 18, 2006, 04:57 PM
Forget emailing PMO how about a give tareq Zia few laks taka and get him to beat the police ?

mildwind
April 18, 2006, 08:55 PM
Forget emailing PMO how about a give tareq Zia few laks taka and get him to beat the police ?

:D :D :D :D

U better use the word commission when u talk abt him. I heard when CNGs were brought in our country, he took a lot commission from people. From then his name is commission Zia.

OZGOD
April 18, 2006, 10:49 PM
No matter what journalists, or any kind of civilian for that matter, are doing, if they are not being violent they don't deserve to be beaten with nightsticks. There are ways to evict people in a relatively non-violent way.

Daddy_Mac
April 19, 2006, 12:10 AM
I have a question???
If BD refuse to play the rest of the test match until the gov't punish the culprits behind this will the test be a draw..:D...??? or a win for Aussie...:confused:???