View Full Version : The best Bangla XI for tests
April 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
My Bangla XI for tests, in batting order:
1. Javed Omar (He might not score a lot but occupies the crease, and good for partnerships; experienced as an opener)
2. Nafees Iqbal (Far more reliable than Aftab, Ash and experienced as an opener)
3. Tushar Imran (Very capable batsman, will give some breathing space to the batters to follow)
4. Rajin Saleh (The most reliqable Bangla batter)
5. Habibul Bashar, Captain (Second most reliable batter for Bangladesh and only choice as captain.)
6. Shahriar Nafees (Not consistent but he'll have a better chance of performing at no. 6. After Ashraful and Aftab cool their heels back in the dressing room for a few matches, they could start competing for this slot.)
7. Mohamed Rafique, Vice Captain (Far more dependable than Ash, Aftab as a batsmen and a world class spinner. He would be great as vice captain. He's tough and will complement the mild Bashar. I don't know if Rafique's got captaincy experience. If he has, how about him as captain ? If he's captain, pick somebody like Rajin Saleh to be his deputy and groom him to take over as captain when Rafique retires. )
8. Khaled Mashud (excellent wicket keeper, occupies the crease as a batter and could keep a partnership going.)
9. Mashrafee Mortaza (Good pacie. Undortunately the Aussies have figured him out; yet he's the best pacie in Bangla.)
10. Enamul Haque (Good, reliable spinner)
11. Shahadat Hossain (Good, aggressive pacie)
12th man: Aftab Ahmed (Good fielder)
Yes, Ashraful and Aftab Ahmed need some time to get some sense into their heads and batting.
April 17, 2006, 07:53 AM
Sadly, we have to realise that our bowling lacks firepower to bowl out a decent side twice. For all we think of Mashrafe, he has yet to take 5 wickets in an innings even once. He has played twenty tests. Enamul did brilliantly - against Zimbabwe.
Rafique remains the only bowler on whom we can rely upon normally.
We have to go in with five bowlers giving our captain the maximum options available at any time. Yes, lacking an all rounder this does present a one less batsman option. But most of our batsmen's average is not much different from Rafique , say.
My current best test team:
Shahriyar Nafees [ attitude problem but a left hander ]
Ashraful [ massive attitude problem : alt: Tushar ]
Habibul Bashar [ leadership problem - bad role model ]
1. Role model: Bashar is a terrible role-model. He does not give a monkey about his wicket. The selector's and Dav must also take a share of the blame in that they have been powerless to do anything about it.
2. Ashraful's problems are well chronicled. If he is not included then Tushar must be automatic next replacement.
3. There is no need to muck about with Alok's spin option. In test matches his spin is a joke. ODI's can be different.
4. Aftab needs to spend time in the nets with his bowling - if only to relieve and rest bowlers. Mashrafe needs to practise batting because he does have a certain ability and his average should be nearer 20 rather than 10.
5. Please don't go on about Rasel being just a new ball bowler. Give me any bowler who will take two wickets an innings anywhere particularly a batsman's wicket. How many wickets have Shahadat taken so far. This is his third innings.
6. I have included Mushfique simply to strengthen the batting. I am afraid we will never bowl a decent side out twice with four current bowlers.
7. If four bowlers are taken, then Shahadat should be dropped and Tushar taken in. Mashud then comes in automatically. Rasel gives an option. Shahadat is faster and more wayward variant of Mashrafe.
8. The above dilemma is lessened if a genuine all-rounder can be found. I have never seen Mehrab Jr. - so cannot comment. But if his performances are anything to go by at the U-19 World Cup - he can be considered. Certainly at ODI level. Age is not a factor . We have made so many changes in the last few years that I have lost count. Has anyone heard of Anwar Hossain Munir ? Good enough to play two test matches just 11 months ago.
April 17, 2006, 01:28 PM
Get over it guys we are probably playing with out best eleven. It will only take an innings of bad play from the alternative for us to go against them . We just got to wait our time for the likes of Mehrab Jr, Tamim, Saqib, Rahim to come through and mark word it will take time.
So we just got to be patient with what we have got and we have to work on them. The Names of Tushar, Al Shahriar, Alok, Rahim, Iqbal all these guys have been tested they are no better than what we have. We have got a pool of around 18 players and we just got to be patient.
April 17, 2006, 01:36 PM
this same team scored 427, now they cant score more then 200?
i don't think its the players. its way they play. someone needs to teach them patience and temprement.
April 17, 2006, 01:38 PM
our batting is awful and can't afford to have five batsmen.... good keeper is a must for test matches and thus, pilot stays atleast for another two years.... shahadat is a better option than rasel in test matches.... he is bowling a lot better now... he is unlucky not to take more wickets.... couple of catches were dropped....
April 17, 2006, 01:39 PM
So close, yet so off!
Your team contains JO. This team is nowhere near being perfect.
April 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
1. Javed Omar (We still need him; as long as we dont have any perfect substitute with experience and patience)
2. Shahriar Nafees (We need a lefty opener; and he has been there for quite sometime. I wouldnt want to change that)
3. Nafees Iqbal ( Recent consistency make him eligable for a position in the team)
4. Habibul Bashar(We need some "captain" innigs from the 4th spot in the line-up)
5. Rajin Saleh (He has proved to be a very consistent performer and excellent fileder; should anchor the middle order perfectly)
6. Tushar Imran (Its about time we give him his due; atleast in test cricket; to prove himself)
7. Mohamed Rafique (He should be brought in for some quick hits)
8. Khaled Mashud (Need to lead the tailenders with consistent performence)
9. Mashrafee Mortaza (No need to change the batting style. He cant defend very well; might as well hit to get whatever he can get)
10. Enamul Haque (Stay as long as you can on the filed to complement others)
11. Shahadat Hossain (Same as above)
Aftab and Asraful are talented players but not made for Test cricket. In the ODI, they should be included. But thats another side of the story.
April 17, 2006, 08:23 PM
My line up:
1. Nafis Iqbal (In place of JO. We need to blood some youth in the opener's spot, and JO does not look like a long term solution to me. Yes, he is reliable, but does not possess any fire power that most openers have in teh modern game (cf. Langer/Hayden). Perhaps another opener will come into the picture in the future, but for now it is a dead heat between Iqbal and Omar, with Iqbal, with his recent good domestic form, just slightly ahead.)
2. Shahriar Nafees (batted well in first Test, but needs to consolidate on this performance in the second innings of the 2nd Test)
3. Tushar Imran (deserves another chance)
4. Rajin Saleh (goes without saying that he has developed into the most reliable BD batter)
5. Habibul Bashar(maybe putting Saleh ahead of Bashar will help take some pressure off Bashar whilst feeding off Saleh's excellent form).
5. Ashraful (It pains me to leave him in the side, but he is a raw talent, and must be persevered with for one more Test series. I think, however, his ODI spot is more secure (only slightly). I think 6th position is good for him, and he can move ahead *IF* (a big if) he can improve)
7. Mohamed Rafique
8. Khaled Mashud
9. Mashrafee Mortaza
10. Enamul Haque / Syed Rasel (I think that this position should be flexible. Give Syed a run for seaming pitches, and Enamul his due when it's a flat turner)
11. Shahadat Hossain (He has almost cemented his spot in the Test side)
I think Aftab will have to go. He did not show the technique and ability for Test cricket. He will always remain in teh selector's radar, however, with his good ODI form. I predict that Mushfiqur Rahim will come of age not far from now. As he grows (both physically and experience-wise) in domestic and A-team matches, he will be able to withstand the pressures of Test cricket.
April 17, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think the side that played in Fatullah was possibly the best XI we've ever put forward. Mashud's a good vice-captain, Saleh would be the other option. It's been said that Shahriah Nafees is the next captain of Bangladesh but you wouldn't want to burden him with that responsibility so early in his career. Bring Rasel into the side for Shahadat and we're right.
April 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
1. JO (I have seen N. Iqbal and his technique is not good enough for opner)
2. S. Nafees (so far he has done better than other talented players we have)
3. R. Saleeh (has the right attitude for test cricket)
4. H. Basher (needs to remember his desire to retire with avg. in 40s)
5. T. Imran (better technique than many others; some problem against pacer but down the order he should do well enough)
6. N. Iqbal / A. Kapali (lack of choice)
7. K. Masud (best option as a keeper and still a decent batter; Musfiq needs to play A team and 4 day matches more before coming to test)
8. M Rafique (explanation not required)
9. M. Mortaza (obvious)
10. S. Hossain (right attitude; need some coaching and schooling)
11. Enam (will learn fast)
Face it we are still the 10th team in test and what we need to build the habit of playing consistently. We have too many so called raw talents who still can't figure themselves out. I am hopeful about Aftab but he needs to play A-team and 4-day domestic for at least 18 months before being considered for test. As for Ashraful he is still raw and lost (I am not very hopeful about his feet landing on the ground in due time). There are some good players coming up from the age group but we need to protect them for few more years. I don't want to see another teen or early 20s to come to the squad until we have some consistency in the current team.
April 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
Enamul or Rasel (depending on pitch)
April 18, 2006, 08:53 AM
April 18, 2006, 09:30 AM
Azam Iqbal (has gr8 patience, he can stick at crease):D
Halim Shah (has gr8 patience, he can stick at crease):D
well...guys try to find any talented batsmen in this team...it'll b the toughest job of the world....hehe:D:D
April 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
add Nazmus Sadat instead Tamim...it'll make ur team just perfect...:)
April 18, 2006, 09:34 AM
dis iz 1 of da most clu-less thred eva!...
just sick n tired of watchin dis.. again N again..
April 18, 2006, 11:15 AM
I am not good at team selection, but I can come up with the worst BD XI though.
April 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
Did anyone ever think of playing the team upside down? I mean reverse the order of batting. We can try once if our bowlers can score more than our batsmen.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.