PDA

View Full Version : Mashrafee vs Shahadat

sadi
April 17, 2006, 08:45 AM
I was watching day two yesterday and I was really impressed by Shahadat's bowling. He was bowling quiet fast and was somewhat effective. He was putting the ball in the right place right outside the offstump and was testing the batsman with occasional short balls. He also hit Jacques with a short ball yesterday. Mashrafee's bowling was disappointing on the other hand. He was bowling short and gillespie was playing him quite comfortably. It seemed like Mashrafee was missing the zip that he used to have before. I am not comparing Shahadat with Mashrafee as Shahadat is so unexperienced but definately in this series, Shahadat was more impressive than Mashrafee.

Any comments?

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 08:49 AM
yes, mashrafe seems to have lost (probably temporarily) the fire power that he used to possess. his bowling hasn't been quite what you expect from him in recent times. but i wouldn't be too worried - everyone has quiet times, and i guess masri's just going through one of them.

sadi
April 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
I surely hope so... Shahadat was impressive though... and eventhough we don't have the speed meter in bangladesh, I think he was bowling around high 80s...

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
sudhu matro sadi ei thread khulsey boley kisu bollam na. :)

All the hype, can't get him a place in the ODI. Unless injury forces mash or rasel out.

Miraz
April 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
Shahadat bowled well no doubt. Keeping that in mind I have to say Mashrafee also bowled impressively. He was out of sort today apart from that he really troubled aussies in first test and also yesterday. If masri gets his late swing he is really a class act.

I wil wait for another year to compare Mashrafee with Shahadat.

sadi
April 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
cats_eye bhai, maf koira den... bhul hoya gese... lol.... really i wasn't comparing mashrafee with shahadat or I wasn't saying shahadat should be included in the odi team.... I am just saying its good to see someone like shahadat coming in and giving short ball treatment to the aussies...

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 09:54 AM
and i'd like to add to my previous comment that we are actually playing the best side in the world on what is supposed to be a batting paradise, no matter how much more it favours the quickies compared to fatullah. besides, when the likes of lee get raped against supposedly one of the weakest batting sides (second only to zimbabwe) in the test arena, masri's figures in the first inning do look a lot more impressive.

from the highlights that i have watched later, he actually looked brilliant in that match, especially during the first spell in the first inning.

then again it's always good to see someone like shahadat pairing up with him. he's only 19, and has got all the ingredients. let's hope we don't lose him like we did in the case of so many others (not to mention that he's probably a lot better than them). he still has his line/length to sort out, but i wouldn't mind him getting hit for a few boundaries if he bags wickets on regular intervals; we have masri, rasel and the spinners to check the runs.

then again, he has a long way to go, but the intent and aggression seem to be there, and everything else, of course, can be built in.

sadi
April 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
Definately sub-continenet pitch is not pacer's paradise and you need more than just raw pace to be effective here.... shahadat's line and length was better than I expected... he almost got jacques with a slower ball.... so he is definately working on his variations and other stuff... Mashrafee didn't look threatening but he kept things tight atleast

Tigers_eye
April 17, 2006, 10:09 AM
কেউ কি ওর গলার তাবিজটা সরাতে পারেন? টাবিজ-টুবিজ আবার কি? বল ঠিক মত করতে না পারলে উইকেট পাবে না চার-ছক্কা খাবেই তো।

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 10:16 AM
Definately sub-continenet pitch is not pacer's paradise and you need more than just raw pace to be effective here.... shahadat's line and length was better than I expected... he almost got jacques with a slower ball.... so he is definately working on his variations and other stuff... Mashrafee didn't look threatening but he kept things tight atleast

yeah, he hasn't been all THAT great in the second test so far - agreed. :)

sadi
April 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
কেউ কি ওর গলার তাবিজটা সরাতে পারেন? টাবিজ-টুবিজ আবার কি? বল ঠিক মত করতে না পারলে উইকেট পাবে না চার-ছক্কা খাবেই তো।

probably its for his fielding... ;)

real123
April 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
Shahadat was quite impressive. His body language, aggressiveness - all these are praise-worthy. Masri was lacking these in the 2nd test- I was reading somewhere that he had some minor injury or something (can't remember it now), may be that is the cause.

shamster
April 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yes I agree I was very impressed with Shahadat. I usually associate pace with Hossain and Accuracy with Mashrafe. Mashrafe was out of sorts today. Shahadat was a find he is getting pace out of a docile pitch god knows what he will do on a SA/AUST/ENg pitch the boy is learning fast to bowl fast ... he does say he loves bowling fast he has an excellent action as well which should mean inshallah he will stay injury free.

al Furqaan
April 17, 2006, 03:06 PM
shahadat looks the goods, and with him and russel, we have found our pace trio. a very balanced attack. one steady accurate guy, one fast aggressive guy, and one who blends the best of the other two (mashrafee).

tho masri bowled crap towards the beggining of his spell yesterday, it seems he picked it up a lil at the end. got a few maiden overs in.

zakirc
April 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
Amazing!!

Before the test series began, how many of you actually wanted Shahadat in the teeam?? As fat as I remember most of you ruled him out on the ground that he would be too expensive ... he has no control etc. and wanted Rasel to pair Mash.

Good to see the Shahadat fan club growing. My only prayer is that he remains fit and on a steady learning curve. Among all our pacers, he has the best mixture of ingredianets to become a truely great fast bowler.

sadi
April 17, 2006, 03:29 PM
I was one of them who though shahadat will be really expensive going into the test against aussies and I must say I am pleasantly surprised the way he is bowling... I will be glad to be mistaken like that again and again... this kid definately got potential...

zakirc
April 17, 2006, 03:34 PM
I was one of them who though shahadat will be really expensive going into the test against aussies and I must say I am pleasantly surprised the way he is bowling... I will be glad to be mistaken like that again and again... this kid definately got potential...

I know ... ddn't mean no insult .... ;) ... just happy cos I am an old member of Shahadat Fan Club.:D :D

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2006, 04:01 PM
me too. i actually wanted rasel to play in his place, because i thought he'd go for another one of those 12 over centuries. needless to say, he's impressed.

Shaan
April 17, 2006, 04:10 PM
I liked Sahdat at begining of Srilankan's tour, his action made me impressed and his bouncers, this guy seems very potential, he can go really far. I heard that somone on this forum/ or bangla newspapers mentioned that W. Akram was on that occassion expressed his imression of Shahdat. Akram liked his agression, and he praised that we need this sorts of young led to come up..
:cool2:

Hatebreed
April 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Masri was.. pathetic today!.. in fact he pi$$ed me off so much I stopped watching the game.. Sorry if I'm wrong, didn't he missed a catch (off Jaques) in the slip or gully (can't remember) when Shahadat was bowling?

Anyway, I honestly think Shahadat bowled like a tiger. For all his determination and hardwork I really hope he'll get a wicket tomorrow.. at least another bouncer on Ponting's head!

sadi
April 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
yeah mashrafee did miss a catch in gully... he was so late, before he could go for the catch the ball already passed him... commentators were discussing about it and criticized bashar for putting mashrafee in a position like that instead of thirdman or fineleg... I think they were being too harsh on bashar.... bashar is too dumb to know all these details... as long as eleven fielders are in the field, we should be happy...

al Furqaan
April 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
i'm a proud member of zakirc's 'original shahadat fan club'

ammark
April 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, Shahadat won me over with his display in the SL series earlier on. With Rasel at the other end, he really could prove his salt more. Not to discount Rasel's abilities, but I always supported Rajib's inclusion before Rasel's. Rajib can only grow as a bowler, like Mashrafee has. Together I think they make a great duo, and they proved it in the 1st Test 1st bowling innings.

Ehsan
April 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
I think Masri was tired. He really has fitness problem to survive 5 days plus playing back to back test matches.

sadat_04
April 17, 2006, 09:02 PM
If u r not trying to compare them. then make more sense to me to open a thread with the heading "Shahadat's bowling"... .....
anyway, i did like his bowling better in the second test but I am sure Masri is just having few off days.. that happens in cricket.. we really need Masri to be in good form all the time with our bowling line up... cheers!

Beamer
April 17, 2006, 09:52 PM
I was a bit dissapointed as well at Mashrafee yesterday. He looked tired and was missing his line. I think he still has issues with fitness and the day off ( rain ) yesterday may have actually helped him a bit. Also, I hope, he is not dwelling on that difficult chance that he spilled off Ponting in the first test. That will be even more harmful. We need him active, fresh and strong minded that we know him as.

oracle
April 17, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think we have a problem with "all" of our fast bowlers, which is lack of direction. They need to be more intelligent and need to get inside knowledge from the knowledge pool of fast bowlers to take them to the test level - in addition/conjunction with experience. So they really have not been given the best coach or motivator to improve and Whatmore is'nt going to squeeze anything more substantial from these boys. It is time to consider a professional bowling coach- and not necessarily a big name.

There is a limit to what enthusiasm and youthful exhuberence as typified by Shahadat. More practice can do good, but we need to get a bowling coach for these guys soon (i.e masrafee and Shahadat) if we really are serious about pace development in the country . We are way behind still in this aspect of our cricket.

tanvir_nus
April 17, 2006, 10:14 PM
Great to see the increasing number of Shahadat fans here. I was one of those who supported Shahadat ahead of bowlers like Rassel in the team, eventhough he is less economical. We need a bowler who not only bowls but plays mind games. And the fast bowler's mind game can only be instilling fear on the opposite players and showing aggressive attitude. Shahadat is all that.

But please don't compare Mash with him. Mash has only lost touch with the balls that suddenly go into the batsmen off the pitch. But in test matches it's the off stumps that bowlers target more often than the stumps. And i guess he is also suffering from fitness problems and concentrating a lot on batting late. I don't understand why people are complaining about Mash not being aggressive. I remember some of the members of this board complaining when he was quoted saying that he was jubilant to see the sri lankan players quiet during the presentation of the 2nd ODI the BD team won against them. In fact, he was given a warning by Dave himself if I am not wrong. I have lost the sight of his effective bouncers. We need to charge him up again.

Lets put it simple. I don't like Rassel, I like Mash for his economical and controlled bowling, I like Mash for his power hitting, I love Shadat for his short bursts of speedy bouncers. Let's face it people. We haven't got a perfect speedster, or a perfect control man, or a perfect swinger.

Speedster=Shahadat
Swinger=Rassel
Line length control= Mash

Far from the perfect leagues of lee,wasim or mcgrath.

Beamer
April 17, 2006, 10:20 PM
I agree. Knowledge is the key. A bowler must have prior knowledge of a certain batsman's strong points and weaknesses. A bowling coach is needed to fine tune the upward learning curve. Only a full time professional bowling coach can teach these talented youngsters the additional aspects of the game. To tell you the truth, none of our players are students of the game. Maybe some are. Thats why an established bowling coach is so important. I give you a glaring example : The run out of Bashar in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. I bet every batsman ( even some fans ) that plays against Australia knows that M Clarke bats right handed but fields and bowls left handed. Bashar obviously didn't know that. He was surprised to see Clarke going for the throw when he must have assumed that Clarke would have to throw going across his body to run him out. Well..he realized it now. If he was aware of that, I am sure, he would have ran harder to avoid the most "pathetic" episode of his career. The captain wasn't aware of their best fielders conflicting abilities. He wasn't a student of the game. These little matters can make the difference between wins and losses sometimes. So, education is very important, specially if you are young and only specialized coaches can make them understand that...

Locutus
April 17, 2006, 10:23 PM
Well Shahadat has the intensity of a fast bowler. He he can bowl at around 83-87MPH. He can bowl bouncer when he wants to. Does not have much variation. Needs to know how to bowl "GOOD" at slower speed.
Mashrafee is cool and calm. He is more mature. If I remember correctly, Mashrafee used to be like Rajib when he came in international scene. Can bowl around 81-85 MPH. Can swing deliveries both ways. I think he has one of the best reverse swing delivery in the world.

So who do I think is better? Right now I would prefer Masrafee. He will be even better with in few years. Shahadat has the ingredient to be very good one-day bowler but have not see anything that would impreses me in TEST other then his bouncer.

ammark
April 17, 2006, 10:37 PM
Shahadat has the ingredient to be very good one-day bowler but have not see anything that would impreses me in TEST other then his bouncer.

What about his aggression?? :-/

Mr-Cricket
April 17, 2006, 11:33 PM
Shahadat actually does have a decent slower ball. He almost had Jacques caught at cover yesterday, it fell just short. It was a good ball. I think Masrafee seems a little too one dimensional at times. That does not mean I don't rate him, he is still probably our best RFM bowler at the moment, just, but he seems to look a little lost at times when things aren't going for him.

My main problem with Mash is that he seems a little wayward at the start of every spell. Down leg, too short, etc. His fitness does also come into question at times - I remember in one of the ODI's against SL recently, Mash was around 2/10 (6), then got hit for about 60-65 runs in his last 4 overs! It was painful to watch!

Shahadat is great in that he has aggression, and he isn't afraid of standing up to the batsman, which is what he need in our bowlers. I too was skeptical of what he was capable of (12 over Century!), but he really has been impressive throughout this series, although the statistics may not reflect that.

AsifTheManRahman
April 18, 2006, 07:17 AM
so kalke ki holo? gillespie century korlo kemne? :( :(

sadi
April 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
so kalke ki holo? gillespie century korlo kemne?

amader kono bowler Gillespie re out korte pare nai ajonno century korse... :-/

Flipper
April 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
First ever sign of tiredness in a game for Mash, and bingo!

cricket_pagla
April 18, 2006, 09:45 AM
sei eki Foul pechal!!!... body language / agressivness / mathay ball lagano / khub boro run-up.. kintu wicket to "0" [zero].. so far in dis test.. aar ager test 1 ta nise!!... ai diya.. aar jaihok.. test jita to duur e.. draw somvob naa!!

cricman
April 18, 2006, 09:50 AM
Masri needs learn to bowl a bouncer, Rajib was very agressive mixed it up very well yorkers and Slow balls.

Mashrafe and Rajib looked really good with the new ball, Mash looked good with late cut and swing. If i was Bashar I'd save him up for the one dayers.

sar2005
April 18, 2006, 09:52 AM
Horey bhai, je jai kon, wicketer khata to shunno. Instead of expecting some wicket, i discover many BC members are now expecting rain.

Murtuza, Rajib .....shob e to roshatol e gelo. Ja ektu shonman, oi buira rafiq e rakhlo.

sadi
April 18, 2006, 09:56 AM
bhaia catch jodi falaya dey, bowler er ki dosh? Two catches were dropped off shahadat's bowling... razzak dropped one today while mashrafee missed one yesterday...