PDA

View Full Version : Thread rating symbol

TheWatcher
April 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
It is just my personal feeling- stars, regardless of their numbers, always look like positive symbols. I am wondering if we can use different symbols for positive and negetive threads. My proposal is to use two thumbs down for terrible, one thumb down for bad, some neutral sign for average, one thumb up for good, and two thumbs up for excellent.

Tigers_eye
April 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
Very good idea. On the outset, rating one star seems to be a good quality (star quality), and 5 stars are ths best. So how about 3 stars (or thumps up) for Excellent, 1 for good, avg gets a dash, bad gets a thumps down, terrible gets 3 thumps down.

Hatebreed
April 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
but I only have two thumbs :(

Spitfire_x86
April 19, 2006, 11:03 PM
What's up with theses stupid arrows? Please take us back to stars.

Thread rating sucks anyqway, though.

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2006, 09:48 AM
No spitty! The arrows are much better choice than the stars. A terrible thread getting a star makes no sense or a bad thread getting 2 stars??? up and down arrow with color is perfect.

Zunaid
April 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of
the people all of the time -- Abraham Lincoln

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
No spitty! The arrows are much better choice than the stars. A terrible thread getting a star makes no sense or a bad thread getting 2 stars??? up and down arrow with color is perfect.
What's wrong with the stars? Take it like star rating of hotels. And if just few people think a thread is not good, it doesn't mean it's really a terrible thread. Ideally, the rating system should not be in place.

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of
the people all of the time -- Abraham Lincoln
Quite true. Now please remove the arrows, and I will be pleased :D (even better if you disable the thread rating system entirely)

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2006, 11:40 AM
What's wrong with the stars? Take it like star rating of hotels. And if just few people think a thread is not good, it doesn't mean it's really a terrible thread. Ideally, the rating system should not be in place.
Star represents good. One star can not represent terrible, and two star can not represent bad, thats the logic.

Did you ever hear a 3 star hotel as being an average hotel?

Hotels star rating system only focuses on good.

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 12:04 PM
Star represents good. One star can not represent terrible, and two star can not represent bad, thats the logic.

Did you ever hear a 3 star hotel as being an average hotel?

Hotels star rating system only focuses on good.
No, star can also represent bad. It's the lowest mark that matters, not the symbol. When rating music/movies, we use 1 star to 4/5 stars. Look at amazon.com product rating/reviews. People use 1 star to 5 star for rating. Someplaces use different symbols, like thumb/sun/dot. But using one symbol for 1 to 5 is the standard.

BTW, here's what Wikipedia says about hotel star ratings
Roughly, the five categories are divided up as follows:

* * (one star) -- low budget hotel
* ** (two stars) -- budget hotel
* *** (three stars) -- middle class hotel
* **** (four stars) -- first class hotel
* ***** (five stars) -- luxury hotel

Ehsan
April 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
Let me sort this out for you two, how about red stars for anything below average, yellow for avg and green for above avg? :)

BTW I am good with the current arrows.

Zunaid
April 20, 2006, 12:54 PM
'bout the arrows - how come nobody noticed this:

poor = 2 down arrows
terrible = 1 down arrow

:)

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 01:26 PM
'bout the arrows - how come nobody noticed this:

poor = 2 down arrows
terrible = 1 down arrow

:)
LOL :D

It only strengthens my point. One symbol for all ratings.

Ahmed_B
April 20, 2006, 01:32 PM
The arrows are much better than the stars. Just one impression.. can the up arrows be yellow pls Z bhai? The yellow color looks smart for Plus gradings. :)

Sauron
April 20, 2006, 03:52 PM
I don't really care about knowing what are good threads, I can judge that myself when I read the thread. But on the other hand, there may be some value in knowing upfront that a thread is bad.

So, I am not opposed to the thread rating system. Good threads may use stars. But now that we are discussing the rating symbols, I have many suggestions for bad threads. Here are a couple of ideas:

HSS (Hammer Symbol System):
One hammer --> Bad.
You'll feel like someone hit you on the head after reading this thread.

Two hammers --> Terrible.
While reading this thread, you will feel like someone is hammering your head with two hammers in unison.

USS (Umbrella Symbol System):
One umbrella --> Bad
You will need an umbrella to shield yourself from all the sh!t that is going on this this thread.

Two umbrellas --> Terrible
With one umbrella, you will find it difficult to shield yourself from all the sh!t that is going on in this thread. You will need two umbrellas to protect yourself from both sides.

Zunaid
April 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
Green - Low - Low risk of being annoyed by what is in this thread.

Blue - Guarded - Keep your pads on and guard your wicket. Thread has some sarcasm that may sneak through bat and pad.

Yellow - Elevated - All posters in this thread has elevated their status to "know it alls". No use being here as no one will listen to you.

Orange - High - All the posters here are high. Both Rana and Alok are the messiah.

Red - Severe - Warning. Reading any posts in this thread will cause immediate dementia.

Mon
April 20, 2006, 05:38 PM
Mods: apnara eto Rep pt. pelen ki bhavey? amar mone hoi apanar system ta manipulate koray apnader key shobar chayay beshi rep point diyaychen. This is not fair.:eek: ;)

Hatebreed
April 20, 2006, 05:39 PM
I like the arrows. I think it's putting off those people who repeatedly and regularly open threads of bad taste, and now they're getting a dose of their own medicine. Let them complaint, it shows the rating method is indeed effective!

Mon
April 20, 2006, 05:43 PM
the rep points remind me of Brownie points. :)

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 07:01 PM
I like the arrows. I think it's putting off those people who repeatedly and regularly open threads of bad taste, and now they're getting a dose of their own medicine. Let them complaint, it shows the rating method is indeed effective!
Not hard to guess what are you indicating about :mad:

I don't give a damn about the rating system. Apart from skewing the thread ratings for fun, I don't care at all about the rating. If I cared, then I could make the rating of all anti-JO threads at least 3 stars.

I wanted to see the conventional "one sign for all ratings", nothing else.

Sauron
April 20, 2006, 07:18 PM
Mods: apnara eto Rep pt. pelen ki bhavey?
Elementary, dear Watson! We have very reputable mods. ;) :D

Tigers_eye
April 24, 2006, 09:45 AM
Zunaid bhai,
terrible deserves two down arrows.
Bad deserves one down arrow. The higher the number of the arrows the worse the thread becomes. At least thats how I see it.

The latest new look is looking great. Have not faced "the system is busy.." message yet. Job well done. Its like bidding a 5 Diamond, and then taking two finesses on kings and making the bid, finishing a hard fought rubber. I am really satisfied with you guys effort and committment.

Miraz
April 24, 2006, 10:32 AM
I agree with Cats_ey regarding the thread rating. Terrible is worse than bad, so it should have two red arrow.

The forum is getting better everyday, the look is impressive. Now, can you please focus on the server to allow us trouble free discussion. We don't want to see the horrible Vbulletin message.
'The server is too busy'

Anyway Zunaid bhai, great work indeed.

Zunaid
April 24, 2006, 11:29 AM
We are working in parallel with the server configuration tuning. Anyway - I did it again. But now the bad/terrible have been flipped.

Please keep us posted about when you see server busy - please put in the time as this will help us with our configuration tweaking.