PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Ponting & the Gavaskar twist!!!

Miraz
April 19, 2006, 02:17 AM
Gavaskar has really taken a twist reagrding his stance about Ricky Ponting's incident. I was watching live and he was criticizing like anything and was saying 'nobody can ask for a review, this is a clear breach of ICC rules' and also 'this is something which is really serious'

Now when he was talking with The Age he is saying '

"I don't think there is any problem with Ricky at all," Gavaskar, the chairman of the ICC's cricket committee, told The Age. "What happened on the first day was just one of those things. We have to remember - and I am not making excuses - that the Australians have had a long season and they have travelled a bit.
"They're at the end of a season, they have been going for three or four months and the conditions, hot and humid, did not help. But I think Ponting is well aware of his responsibilities as captain. I personally don't find a problem with him. I think generally if there was a problem with Ponting, that would have come to the notice of the ICC earlier."

:eek: Gavaskar made a nice twist. But why??? Probably to retain his position as the chairman of ICC cricket committee he needs aussie support.

Full report >> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244790.html)

AussieFan
April 19, 2006, 02:22 AM
Gavaskar too has had a long season and he has travelled a bit. He has been going for a few months too. It is hot and humid for him as well. But he is well aware of his responsibilities as a commentator. I personaly don't find a problem with him. I think generally if there was a problem with Gavaskar, that would have come to te notice of Ten Sports earlier.

Imtiazk
April 19, 2006, 02:22 AM
He quickly reassessed given the smart operator that he is that the brodcast was beamed live to Australia and he better backtrack a bit considering even the umpires were not saying that Ricky appealed !

PoorFan
April 19, 2006, 02:26 AM
<!--StartFragment --><!--StartFragment --> AussieFan, that's a marvelous shot! You should have few more points.

Niceman70
April 20, 2006, 10:21 AM
it depeends on the question. what was the question asked by the new age mag?

Miraz
April 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
it depeends on the question. what was the question asked by the new age mag?

I exactly don't know what is the question as that is not mentioned in cricinfo article but irrespective of the question Gavaskar took an exactly opposite stance within a day and that surprised me. I do respect Gavaskar a lot!! and I haven't expected it from him.

Sovik
April 20, 2006, 11:41 AM
Gavaskar was probably saving his A**.

ajithlalm
April 20, 2006, 11:43 AM
Aussies I think are pressing the butto tooooooooooo much. They are very aggressive even to the umpires. They uses sledging toooooooo much. They even uses foul languages and abuses sometimes. I think they should not win games by mind games, but by performances...

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 11:55 AM
I never liked Gavaskar much. You can't expect better things from him.

In this week, he also criticized current gen players and said "he would be willing to sweat 365 days for India", which clearly he didn't in his playing days. In fact he had far less workload than current generation players. He played 733 days (max) of international cricket in his 16 year interntaional career. On the other hand, Sachin Tendulkar played 1022 days (max) of international cricket in his similarly long career. Players who had their debut after mid 90's have been dealing with even more workload.

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 11:58 AM
(double post - deleted)

exotic
April 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
I never liked Gavaskar much. You can't expect better things from him.

In this week, he also criticized current gen players and said "he would be willing to sweat 365 days for India", which clearly he didn't in his playing days. In fact he had far less workload than current generation players. He played 733 days (max) of international cricket in his 16 year interntaional career. On the other hand, Sachin Tendulkar played 1022 days (max) of international cricket in his similarly long career.

In addition to the above, he has made the following comments recently,

"I don't think there is any problem with Ricky at all," Gavaskar, the chairman of the ICC's cricket committee, told The Age. "What happened on the first day was just one of those things. We have to remember - and I am not making excuses - that the Australians have had a long season and they have travelled a bit.

"They're at the end of a season, they have been going for three or four months and the conditions, hot and humid, did not help. But I think Ponting is well aware of his responsibilities as captain. I personally don't find a problem with him. I think generally if there was a problem with Ponting, that would have come to the notice of the ICC earlier."

Is it what we call double standard?

sar2005
April 20, 2006, 12:23 PM
He knows very well how to match with the breeze and probably that's the reason why he still has a post in ICC. These sort of people are called liquid, shoza banglay torol podartho, Jokhon jemon tokhon temon. Shala.........sometimes I want to forget the rules of the board (jodi koy ta moner moto gali ditey partam).

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
IIRC, he was also one of the people who made the super-sub rule.