PDA

View Full Version : CI Verdict: One step forward, two back

TheWatcher
April 20, 2006, 05:33 AM
One step forward, two back
The Verdict by Osman Samiuddin
April 20, 2006

Even before this Test began, inevitability had invaded it. Dav Whatmore knew it, predicting the Australians would come back very hard after a near-embarrassment. The prediction of others was more hard-nosed and in the end, another innings defeat will have, unfortunately, surprised few people. It had happened before this one, after all, 24 times in 43 Tests.

It's a damning statistic no doubt, but it masks a more frustrating trend within it: every time progress is made, it is forgotten almost immediately in the aftermath of a crushing defeat or five. In 2003, after a refreshing display in Pakistan one, they even pestered England in Dhaka for a while before losing by seven wickets. After that they were thumped, by England first and then Zimbabwe and though they drew in the Carribean, they proceeded to lose five Tests on the trot by an innings.

It's actually more the spanking nature of the losses that taints any progress, any win or draw with the feel of a one-off, a fluke. History will now give ever greater credence to Australia's fatigue rather than Bangladesh's spirit in what Don King would call the `thrilla in Fatullah', in light of their meek loss in Chittagong. It's a shame: fatigue or not, the world's worst Test team scared the bejabbers out of the world's best till the very last and that should be appreciated.

More... (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/244924.html)

ZaKi
April 20, 2006, 12:25 PM
ha ha ha paki der mukhe kotha futse....

sar2005
April 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
I really did not get the tone of this article. Does Mr. Osman has a well-wish in his mind for BD or he just want to insult us infront of the world? What was his objective of posting this article??

Dear Mr. Osman, it's for sure that we are not yet upto the task in terms of performance. But can tell you onething, it's not far when we will start beating a side like PAK in every now and then. Probably you need to wait for another 5 years and I hope you will continue writing till 2011. Remember, Inzi, Yousuf, Younus will not be there forever.

cricman
April 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
Osman started covering the series after day 2 of the first Test, everything he wrote was true mentioned Multan, prasied rafique efforts, said we would of won the Multan Test had we gotten 1 of those shouts.

After the first test he said we should appreciate the fight we put up but we should of won the test

sar2005
April 20, 2006, 12:59 PM
Nice to know. Thanks cricman.

nayef
April 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
Article ranged somewhere between a bashing and a fist of approval. Its a poor piece of writing to say the least. I expected a opinion (The Verdict.. as the name says). Rather I found a lame effort to balance the good and bad.