PDA

View Full Version : Only Solution For Ashraful

deshpremi
April 20, 2006, 05:47 AM
We all have a love hate relationship with Ash as when he comes up with a good innings, we cant get enough of him and no praise is too much for him, but when he gets out to playing plain, irresponsible and stupid shots, we all want to kick his little a$$ and that includes myself.

Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
Obviously the fact that he gets out to playing idiotic shots more often than not, is his own fault, but another factor also needs to be taken into account.

He is single handedly carrying on his shoulders, the hopes and expectations of an entire nation.

He is well aware of this fact that every time he is out in the middle, more than 140 million people, including all the well wishers of Bd Cricket from other nations hold their breath for poor Ashraful to conjure up a MIRACLE.

Under such pressure and microscopic scrutiny, the poor little soul is absolutely petrified of failure and this as a direct result is causing his downfall.

Now, the only solution I see for Ashraful is to lift this burden of expectations from his shoulders and give him a license to thrill.

A role similar to that of Shahid Afridi or Virender Sewag.

As I have said on many many ocassions before, he should always come in as an opener in an ODI and play his natural aggressive way when the restrictions are in place and the chances are that he will get us in to a very very good position by scoring runs very quickly.

Of course, the other possibility is that he will get out playing too many shots as well, but then whats the point of him prodding and pushing and then getting out with a very low score anyway.

I know that he has been tried as an opener before and failed, but lets just persevere with him a little longer.

AussieFan
April 20, 2006, 06:17 AM
Well written.

BonBon
April 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
no way. Banglar shomman aro beshi mulloban ei gadhatar cheye. I dont want him to score after 20 matches. Rather I have someone who scores 30 in every matches

SS
April 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
get him married. He will be fixed. but not sure if he will stay in the team and perform according to coach but he will listen to a tough wife. Then it's upto him to rectify or stay in BD team or leave us w/o any expectations.

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2006, 09:01 AM
Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
I viewed it differently. I thought he was mocking the bowlers and making faces. He was in total control while batting. The only problem was he had a ticket for a 6pm show.

LateCut
April 20, 2006, 12:59 PM
Let him play danda-gooly in the Lancashire league. He may keep the local boys in good humor hitting a few big shots against weekend cricketers. But leave us alone! We cannot forever agonise over what could have been. We will invest our dreams on only those who really want to learn from their mistakes and improve.

nayef
April 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
I think its time for him to sit on the side-lines again for another year or two. It seems to have worked for Rajin...

Miraz
April 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
It is really a togh job to find a soltuion for Ashraful. Giving him a break might be a good one but may not work (can harm as well). We do not want to lose Ashraful thats for sure because he can bring a lot of magical moments to BD cricket. I think he should go through a sereis of psychotherapy to build his temperament. He looked scared in the second test, true, but he got himself out in a stupid way. How can a scared player play such a stupid shot when only four over is left??? I do not understand.

I am hoping (and also praying) Ashraful will do better in ODIs. As we will only play ODIs before WC, it is very important to have an inform Ashraful in WC and ICC Champions trophy.

ononto
April 20, 2006, 01:59 PM
Very well written "deshpremi".

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2006, 02:00 PM
psychotherapy questionaire for Ashraful:
1. What is the most important part of test cricket batting? a) Individual performance, b) partnership.
2. How would you like to treat Brett Lee's bouncer? a) hook, b) duck c) let it pass.
3. How many runs do you want to score in Warne's 1st over? a) 36, b) maiden.
4. Is strike rate important in test cricket? a) Yes, b) No.
5. Do you want to hold the record for fastest test 50, 100? a) Yes, b) No c) don't care.
6. Do you always hold 6pm show tickets on game day? a) Yes, b) No.
7. Is there anyway we can convince you to watch the 9pm show instead of the 6? a) No, b) May be c) no more show for me.
All of his answers may be a)'s where as, we the fans, would want him to say anything but a).

sar2005
April 20, 2006, 02:03 PM
Send him to complete his sessions with Monalisa first.

Apart from Joke, yes, it is crucial for him as well as BD team to get back him in form (or I should say, get him upto a consistent level as he never performed consistently). Noboday can deny that this guy can cut any bowling attack into pieces on his day. He is telented but not brilliant. Brilliants get the temparment by playing 1or 2 years. Probably he needs to wait another year or two to place the word 'temparment' in his brain. Ask him to play two double century innings in lower grade of cricket and then return.

ahms
April 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi SS,

You said it proper. He needs to get married. After all behind a great man there is a woman.

Fazal
April 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hi SS,

You said it proper. He needs to get married. After all behind a great man there is a woman.

Unless that great man's name is either Nafis Iqbal or Mushfiq Rahman(?)

ahms
April 20, 2006, 02:37 PM
Come on. Ashraful is a Lara of Bangladesh. He is going thru tough time with bat, but he plays with class, pritty much in command of the ball. Not to compare him with anyone according to stats, please.

Fazal
April 20, 2006, 02:42 PM
lol You missed my point ahms.

My comaparison of Nafis and Mushfiq with Ashraful is not directly related to their playing style or record but rather to the comment that "Ashraful need to get married."

Some cases it doesn't work... Nafis and Musfiq are the examples where their career took a u-turn just after they got married.

ahms
April 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
Wow, sad stats hah. But Ash is better batsman than them by far. What I am trying to figure out is why he is failing although he has all shots in the world. May be marriage will calm him down a bit, in a way his shot selection will be better, thus technically sound.

sadi
April 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
marriage will calm him down?? hehe... I am not so sure about that.... but then again, amar boro bhaiera bhalo bolte parben

ahms
April 20, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well, It does, but any way, Ash needs to stop playing with a rush of blood. I wish him all the best.

DotBall
April 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
So now the team should try to play him as an opener and let him play his natural game ("Sahid Afridi" like). How about just don't play him at all?????????
We have good players other than Ash to bring us victory. We don't need bang-bang-out; what we need is players who can tough it out and win games.
Ash knows very well that all he needs to do is keep playing "bang-bang" and get lucky once-in-a-while and everybody will jump in joy for him. How much does this help the BD team?

deshpremi
April 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
Absolutly, if we are going to play him, then play him as an opener.

I can fully understand your hostile feelings towards Ashraful and cannot blame anyone for wanting him dropped from the team.

But we have to be realistic as there is no one waiting in the wing who can replace him at this moment in time.

True, some one else might spend a little longer in the middle and get a handful more runs than him, but there is no one out there in the BD team who possess an ability to change the outcome of an ODI match other than this rascal, villain, plonker, (call him what you like) or sometimes genius.

KricFreak
April 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
get him married. He will be fixed. but not sure if he will stay in the team and perform according to coach but he will listen to a tough wife. Then it's upto him to rectify or stay in BD team or leave us w/o any expectations.

are you serious?

look at what happend to Nafis Iqbal........

I don't think they are able to score on the field if they get the chance to score off the field at such a young age. :p

TheWatcher
April 20, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sending a player, who is running low on confidence, to open batting for the team !!! It is always a bad idea.

Sovik
April 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
He needs to see a psycologist. not just him, whole team.

He is a great batsman but just needs to play accordingly to the situation. he looks frustated all the time

shamster
April 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
What I did not get was you could see Ashraful was going to attack and Aftab was going to defend. So why not swap them round, people might say what difference might it make every little bit makes a difference.

DotBall
April 20, 2006, 06:18 PM
Ash or whomever is not going to perform if they can not even understand themselves. And why do some of you think we do not have any other options besides Ash? No one can help Ash if he doesn't help himself and national team should bare such a huge cost of keeping him around while he is just rolling the dice to land a 6. Let him sit out and sort himself out and then he can be given a chance.

Hatebreed
April 20, 2006, 07:00 PM
I agree Ash should get married so he can get in form, learn some shots and practise how long he can last hahah

exotic
April 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
I agree Ash should get married so he can get in form, learn some shots and practise how long he can last hahah

thats a good one.:D

Shakalaka
April 20, 2006, 11:08 PM
Make him the captain of Bangladesh A team and send the team to tour all the ICC countries, then may be he will be matured enough.

IanW
April 23, 2006, 09:43 PM
Despite the mocking tone of Late Cut, a season playing League cricket is probably the best thing that can be done for Ashraful.

It simultaneously takes him away from the hopes, fears and expectations of home fans, and it makes him carry a team.

League cricket worked for a fat, unprofessional blonde kid from Victoria, and made him into a professional. I think it will do the same for Ashraful.

Ian Whitchurch

cricman
April 23, 2006, 09:51 PM
This fat Blonde kid you mention of? By any chance was he a wrist spinner like Ashraful?

Warney actually played League Cricket? I find that hard to believe

Thunder
April 23, 2006, 10:17 PM
i think its better to send him to a exotic holiday destination with monalisa and all the expenses should come from the cricket board...

when he'll come back and play for the team, at least he'll think that the country has paid for his holiday and he must do something in return.. he must make a century.. :D

PoorFan
April 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
i think its better to send him to a exotic holiday destination with monalisa and all the expenses should come from the cricket board...

<!--StartFragment -->... exotic holiday with monalisa??

How about a week of "Home Stay" in Whatmore's hose? Let him make some "Milk Tea" for Dav every time he ( Dav ) wants to drink, and continue his ( Ash ) "Home Stay" until Dav satisfy with the taste of his ( Ash ) "Milk Tea".

It will work lot better than hang around with Mash, Bash and his buddies.

TheProfessor
April 23, 2006, 11:58 PM
Absolutly, if we are going to play him, then play him as an opener.

How about we play him as an opening bowler?? Get over the dreams !!! This guy shows us the glimpses of hope and dreams in one match and then sets into destroying the same in the following matches. He has the capacity to destroy any bowling attack but he choses to destroy his own batting instead.

I's say just put him out of the team for a while. Make him play leage cricket ...... Have him in a remand with DC Akbar/JIC .. whatever. I just dont wanna see this punk in Bangladesh Cricket Team in recent future.

People were mentioning Rokon's return to form. If this is true, then it presents us with the best option to shove AshraFool aside. Lets try Rokon in his palce for a few games. This will be a win-win situation as in one hand we will be able to check out how well Rokon has improved and AshraFool will have some time to reflect on his performance.

And during this break ... Please Keep Him Away from Monalisa and other models

layperson
April 24, 2006, 12:04 AM
only solution for ashraful is to get rid of his fears nd play his natural game .... one of the members rightly pointed out tht he looked scared of failure ....confidence is half the battle ....wen u r scared of failing then chances r u wont succeed .... on the other hand he also needs to think abt tightening up his game so tht he does not give his wicket away ... he shud not change his aggressive approach .... just tht he shud do away with the cheeky shots .... he has enough cricketing shots in him to score runs at a fast rate ....in other words he has to be selective in shot making however he shud still remain aggressive nd play his natural game ..... doing this he will fail but he will also succeed .... what we need of him is to be successful mor ethan a failure ... ... but we as fans need to understand tht no player on this earth can keep on performing continuously without a bad phase .... he needs to make the most of it wen he is in good form .... bcoz the bad phases will always come ... like the one he is going through now ...nd we shud be supportive of him ...

sireza
April 24, 2006, 03:14 AM
WHAT WHAT MORE IS DOING.

What the hell Dev Whatmore is doing???????
Isn't it he is the coach of the BD team?and what is he suppose to teach the player?
If Ash is not performing then both coach and the played is to be blamed...not only Ash.

layperson
April 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
WHAT WHAT MORE IS DOING.

What the hell Dev Whatmore is doing???????
Isn't it he is the coach of the BD team?and what is he suppose to teach the player?
If Ash is not performing then both coach and the played is to be blamed...not only Ash.

the coach can only do so much .... it is upto the individuals to go nd perform in the middle.... just by looking at the body language of the BD players nd their attitude shows tht the coach is doing a good job ... so we shud not shift our batsmen's blame onto the coach ... who if nething deserves only praise for his overall performance with the team so far..

sireza
April 24, 2006, 04:35 AM
the coach can only do so much .... it is upto the individuals to go nd perform in the middle.... just by looking at the body language of the BD players nd their attitude shows tht the coach is doing a good job ... so we shud not shift our batsmen's blame onto the coach ... who if nething deserves only praise for his overall performance with the team so far..
Unfortunately not satisfied with your reply dear.
If the student is brilliant then he only need correct guidance from his teacher to excel.We all know Ash is a vary good student but then why his teacher is not guiding him properly.If we think Ash is no more a good student and can not achieve desired result then we should not ask him to go for the Exam,rather study in the same class and come back next year for the final Exam.BTW his class room is again domestic cricket

Mr-khan
April 24, 2006, 04:53 AM
Only Solution For Ashraful
Change his batting order.Let him open with S.Nafees and allow him to play his natural game.

Logo
April 24, 2006, 04:54 AM
i agree with shahriyar...Ashraful has been making the same mistakes over and over again and what more can Whatmore do??? Its about time Ashraful grows up and takes responsibility for his own actions because in this manner he will not be able to compete successfully in the international arena which is extremely competitive. Sending him back to the domestic levels might not be the solution because we all know our domestic leagues aren't up to the international standards. Maybe he should go over to play county cricket like somebody suggested before. In the meantime Whatmore has shown a lot of faith in Ashraful by not dropping him despite his poor performances, it's about time Ash pays him back.

nannu
April 24, 2006, 05:00 AM
Hi SS,

correction: women's allways run after great man's. and that is his main problem.

nannu

sar2005
April 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
You can't blame a coach for a player not performing regularly. DW has done enough work with him and probably that's the reason why he played some of those big good innings. Most importantly, he still has his faith on ash and perhaps that's why ash is still in team. I really don't know what should be done for bringing consistency in ash's performance and I guess not many people really know either.

sireza
April 24, 2006, 05:10 AM
i agree with shahriyar...Ashraful has been making the same mistakes over and over again and what more can Whatmore do??? Its about time Ashraful grows up and takes responsibility for his own actions because in this manner he will not be able to compete successfully in the international arena which is extremely competitive. Sending him back to the domestic levels might not be the solution because we all know our domestic leagues aren't up to the international standards. Maybe he should go over to play county cricket like somebody suggested before. In the meantime Whatmore has shown a lot of faith in Ashraful by not dropping him despite his poor performances, it's about time Ash pays him back.
Look u hv 3 example in front of u, Rajin,Tushar & Alok,all three were dropped and came back with more confidence.They developed their strength from what ever is our domestic Cric and A team,therefore Ash should go back to play both A and domestic and come back with a bang.

Logo
April 24, 2006, 05:40 AM
Hey the only reason we have so much expectation off Ash is because we feel he has a lot more potential than Rajin Tushar or Alok, which is why sending him back to other international A teams might not be a good idea. He needs to feel like he can compete against the best. I agree he needs time off and should be dropped for a few matches. But asking him to start from scratch means we have wasted our efforts on him for the last few years.

Captain
April 24, 2006, 10:14 AM
let's give him one last chance in the 2nd match

shimraj
April 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
The biggest problem with the selectors is "Jodi". Jodi Ash ekta century kore falay. Jodi Ash click kore. They need to go beyond this "Jodi" and then oke pitaiya potaiya fela.

DotBall
April 24, 2006, 12:32 PM
only solution for Ash is to keep him out of the national team for a year.

silly_point
April 24, 2006, 12:43 PM

Why not get him married to a coach then? Is there any 'mohila' coach around? Can we send Monalisa to a coaches training program?

shamster
April 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
FACT Ash has shown he will not learn anything new.
FACT he is at best when he has license to attack.
So what to do with that guy? Can a team like BG afford to carry a Ash and hope that his time comes in that innings. He produces his best every 20 innings or so and when his not at his best he is useless. There is no consistency and no average feel to him.

CricketCrazzie
April 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
For anyone who is interested, Wasim Akram writes - "Mohammad Ashraful looked out of form having played 23 balls for his five runs and then getting dismissed by playing a predetermined stroke. That goes to show he has very poor technique as he cannot judge the merit of the ball. With this kind of technique he can only get runs for his team a few times at this level."
Source Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/04/24/d60424040232.htm
The Daile Star

layperson
April 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
For anyone who is interested, Wasim Akram writes - "Mohammad Ashraful looked out of form having played 23 balls for his five runs and then getting dismissed by playing a predetermined stroke. That goes to show he has very poor technique as he cannot judge the merit of the ball. With this kind of technique he can only get runs for his team a few times at this level."
Source Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/04/24/d60424040232.htm
The Daile Star

with all due respect to wasim akram..... he was a great cricketer.... but i dont think his views here make any sense.....instead of dancing around at other ppls comments we shud think for ourselves nd judge ashraful .....according to me ashraful shud stay in the team nd we shud support him in this lean phase... promoting him up the order to change places with rajin may be a good idea bcoz he plays best wen he is not scared of failure nd play naturally aggressive ..... we dont want to lose a player like ashraful by dropping him nd making things worse .... he is an asset for the BD team nd we shud treat him accordingly ...

BioMEMS
April 24, 2006, 07:11 PM
I mean no disrespect but for example if you hear Shahriar Nafees and Ashraful talk you can clearly see the differences in their mentality/attitude. Shahriar sounds like an intelligent person whereas Ashraful does not seem like he has the ability to think intellectually. He has already had 6 years to learn from his mistakes. I also think that he has let fame get into his head.

ammark
April 24, 2006, 08:22 PM
Firstly, this is just an opinion and I just have to get this out of the way first: Yes, Ashraful lacks the intellectualism that SN might possess as a BBA student at DU. And this reflects in his attitude and mentality when he speaks of playing shots, dismissals etc. This is all quite irrelevant.

However, it translates onto the field in terms of cricketing intelligence. Cricket it one game where if you listen to the great players, you can tell that regardless of them lacking a degree, they had to be intelligent about how to play their game. Case in point: Wasim Akram tended to avoid the scientific explanations of reverse swing, but instead spoke of how Waqar and him would practice very hard and understanding what the ball could do. At the highest level of cricket, everyone has to use their head! Even Enam impressed me when Wasim akram asked him abt the delivery that got Clarke out. That was Intelligence at play too. Now, not to discount Ashraful's intelligence, he does play cheekily very well on his day, but he is downright inconsistent in performing in his innings'!...and as someone posted, He had 6 years to learn, and unfortunately he's failing his tests more often than not!

Regarding his position: I'd gamble with retaining him against Aus, with the *hope* that he'll pull off an "Eider Chand" again. And I fully support his inclusion in our team for the next year seeing how we arent exactly playing the most competitive teams before the World Cup. Depending on that, a bold decision has to be made about World Cup.

Alternatively he could just be relegated to A team Captaincy and League Captaincy where he has to Shoulder responsibility. Otherwise he really wont have any growth! Thats the real thing, he needs to Mature.

layperson
April 24, 2006, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately not satisfied with your reply dear.
If the student is brilliant then he only need correct guidance from his teacher to excel.We all know Ash is a vary good student but then why his teacher is not guiding him properly.If we think Ash is no more a good student and can not achieve desired result then we should not ask him to go for the Exam,rather study in the same class and come back next year for the final Exam.BTW his class room is again domestic cricket

dear sir ashraful is a good student but he is the type who is very lazy nd wont revise his academics b4 the exam.... as a result he does bad in the exams.... however his teacher teaches him everything nd he knows everything as well .... now it is upto him to revise b4 the exam to get good results.....

in a more literal way.... whatmore is doing what he can .... it is ashraful who has to perform not whatmore ..... if whatmore wasnt doing his job properly ashraful wud not be giving us match winning knocks like the hundred in cardiff.... there is only so much a coach can do ...i guess i m just repeating myself....

adel
April 24, 2006, 11:01 PM
We all have a love hate relationship with Ash as when he comes up with a good innings, we cant get enough of him and no praise is too much for him, but when he gets out to playing plain, irresponsible and stupid shots, we all want to kick his little a$$ and that includes myself.

Obviously the fact that he gets out to playing idiotic shots more often than not, is his own fault, but another factor also needs to be taken into account.

He is single handedly carrying on his shoulders, the hopes and expectations of an entire nation.

He is well aware of this fact that every time he is out in the middle, more than 140 million people, including all the well wishers of Bd Cricket from other nations hold their breath for poor Ashraful to conjure up a MIRACLE.

Under such pressure and microscopic scrutiny, the poor little soul is absolutely petrified of failure and this as a direct result is causing his downfall.

Now, the only solution I see for Ashraful is to lift this burden of expectations from his shoulders and give him a license to thrill.

As I have said on many many ocassions before, he should always come in as an opener in an ODI and play his natural aggressive way when the restrictions are in place and the chances are that he will get us in to a very very good position by scoring runs very quickly.

Of course, the other possibility is that he will get out playing too many shots as well, but then whats the point of him prodding and pushing and then getting out with a very low score anyway.

I know that he has been tried as an opener before and failed, but lets just persevere with him a little longer.
I ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH EVRY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID....Ashraful shoul be allowed to play his natural game rather than go in nervous as hell and try and impress with 'artificial shots'....I beileve we shoul find a new icon for Bangladesh cricket so that our best batsmen (Ash) doesent have so much pressure on him to impress....

adel
April 24, 2006, 11:01 PM

I ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH EVRY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID....Ashraful shoul be allowed to play his natural game rather than go in nervous as hell and try and impress with 'artificial shots'....I beileve we shoul find a new icon for Bangladesh cricket so that our best batsmen (Ash) doesent have so much pressure on him to impress....