PDA

View Full Version : The Real Important players

cricman
April 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
When people say Bangladesh should lose it's test status, what do we say? The first thing we point out is that Bangladesh have Beaten Australia,India and Sri Lanka in the last 15 months.

Correct?

I know Cricket is team game but tell me the 3 players who were mainly responsible for the wins?

Sri Lanka : Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe
Australia : Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe
India: Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe

You gotta stick with these players they've won us 3 matches I don't like using the term "Star" but thats what these 3 are or capable of. I'm not saying they deserve a free pass but that doesn't mean we have to throw them over the boat after 1 Bad series and I'm not saying that there aren't others who are Capable of stardom.

During the Sri Lanka series people were echoing to drop Shariar Nafees because of his poor foot work , could not play murali ,and that he flashes at balls that are not even close to his off stump. He still has that problem any one who saw his first innings. Still he's one our best players and gives us that much better of an opportunity for us to win.

Bottom Line is you keep playing the team with your best players and the team that gives you the best chance to win. Regardless of the game Test or ODI players who give us the best chance to win should play. Your gonna let 4 innings in which there were 2 Bad LBW's, 1 Stupid third ump and 1 freakish dismissal determine who should play or not play.

Bangladesh should and will stick with Aftab and Ashraful

Just because a player doesn't fit the mold of what a certain people think what a Test player should play like is absurd. Take Australia for example Hussey and Gilchrist play agressive, but Hayden and Langer take a more catious approach. It doesn't make 1 style better than the other it's just what works best for the batsmen

shamster
April 20, 2006, 06:15 PM
I agree, the solution is for these ATTACKING players to play no higher than 5/6 unless they are playing against weak teams. Therefore We need more better batsmen at 1-4. Nafees is there Bashar is there, Rajin is showing a bit but Javed is not sticking around. We need strong amount of runs so when these 2 come on they can play thier natural game.

DotBall
April 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
You have some very good points. When you compare Gili, Hussey, Hayden and Langer you forgot to metion that dispite their fast/slow scoring rate they always play according to the merit of the ball and unless at the death of the match they rarely play shots that has very low percentage, unlike few of our players.

Unfortunately ODI and Test require different mindset to play the game. If you want to bring Hussey for comparison you will find that he always plays according the pitch condition and game situation.

If you want to argue that Ash deserves a place because of the 3 games you metioned than on basis of emotion he gets a place but logically I can find any reason keep him around in Test arena for now. Let him get his skills playing test in A-team and 4-day matches first.

Both Masrafee and Aftab had show the sign of learning and that is good for the team. Right now I can't say the same for Ash.

exotic
April 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
Just because a player doesn't fit the mold of what a certain people think what a Test player should play like is absurd. Take Australia for example Hussey and Gilchrist play agressive, but Hayden and Langer take a more catious approach. It doesn't make 1 style better than the other it's just what works best for the batsmen

I think u have made the above conclusions about hussey and hayden from the last two tests against bangladesh. Actually Hayden has a career strike rate of more than 60 and Hussey has little less than 50. It actually means, great players adjust their game from time to time accoridng to various conditions (pitch, team position, state of the game, opposition bowling quality and many others) and what team expect from them. Now of course it doesn't matter what certain people think about how to play test, but it certainly matters how that particular player thinks about the game and approach the game. We, the fans, can only judge them from the outcomes/ performances (and certainly the best measure for a batsman is how much he has scored).

I enjoy a lot watching tendulkar or lara playing wonderful shots and when they got out it doesn't matter to me at all because I am not an indian or a west indian. But when its about Bangladesh, then I don't want to see some wonderful shots rather I would prefer a S Nafees (according to many of our BC members whose technique is not sound and can't play all range of shots), a Rajin or even a Rafique/mashrafee who can score some run for the team or stick in the wkt. I am not trying to demean Aftab or Ashraful's capability (rather I have great respect for both of them for what they have done for the country so far, and both them are certainly capable of becoming very good player in the future) but I think they have to understand the game as a whole, have to use their brain a bit and understand what team needs from them (not beautiful shots but runs).

I really want them to realize these simple facts as soon as possible because that will be really good for our cricket, we need players like them in the team.

Albanycrew
April 20, 2006, 08:59 PM
I doubt anyone will deny that they are indeed great options for our ODI team. Ash and Aftab will be able to bring us more ODI wins in future because of their aggressive and carefree style. But that attitude doesn't suit well at all when you are playing a test match. You need to be smart, consistent and responsible to become a good test batsman. Unfortunately Ash lacks all these qualities. It's too early to judge Aftab. It's just unfair for the other players who are patiently waiting for a chance in the test team. Ash is still not matured enough to play tests. He is very young and a time out from the test arena will not only benefit BD team, it will also help him. Most of us were discussing about whether he should be in the test team.......so there is no point bringing up what he did in ODI. I am so amazed how people keep forgetting that there is a huge difference between tests and ODI.... even after all we have seen so far. It can't be helped if you guys keep comparing ODI performances with the ones in the tests. Unfortunately it seems like some of our players think in the same way and they are unable to discern. By the way, it's a blasphemy to compare Gilchrist or Hayden with Ashraful. Did you even see how Gilchrist played in the first innings of first test. He knew his team was in trouble and he took his time to make sure that he was helping the team. He adjusted to this adverse situation and he knew he would have enough chances to unleash his fury if he can survive the first storm.......... and that's my friend is the sign of a great player. I really hope to see Ashraful become a player like that in future... but right now he is no where near.

tanvir_nus
April 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
You forgot the win against the strong Zimbabwi team in Zimbabwe. Ash scored the fastest fifty back then and was the MOM.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/BDESH_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ZIM_ODI3_10MAR2004.html.

Shakalaka
April 20, 2006, 11:05 PM
When people say Bangladesh should lose it's test status, what do we say? The first thing we point out is that Bangladesh have Beaten Australia,India and Sri Lanka in the last 15 months.

Correct?

I know Cricket is team game but tell me the 3 players who were mainly responsible for the wins?

Sri Lanka : Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe
Australia : Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe
India: Ashraful, Aftab and Mashrafe

You gotta stick with these players they've won us 3 matches I don't like using the term "Star" but thats what these 3 are or capable of. I'm not saying they deserve a free pass but that doesn't mean we have to throw them over the boat after 1 Bad series and I'm not saying that there aren't others who are Capable of stardom.

During the Sri Lanka series people were echoing to drop Shariar Nafees because of his poor foot work , could not play murali ,and that he flashes at balls that are not even close to his off stump. He still has that problem any one who saw his first innings. Still he's one our best players and gives us that much better of an opportunity for us to win.

Bottom Line is you keep playing the team with your best players and the team that gives you the best chance to win. Regardless of the game Test or ODI players who give us the best chance to win should play. Your gonna let 4 innings in which there were 2 Bad LBW's, 1 Stupid third ump and 1 freakish dismissal determine who should play or not play.

Bangladesh should and will stick with Aftab and Ashraful

Are you takling about test cricket? or ODI? cos BD never beat those team in test cricket. Yeah, i still support ASH and AFTAB in ODI. cos their style of play like this. But not in test anymore.

Leave Masri out of this. He has been the only other consistent bowler in BD team beside rafique. Both in test and ODI.