PDA

View Full Version : The most surprising underachiever

DJ Sahastra
April 21, 2006, 01:30 AM
I think i can say that i have been fairly disappointed with the efforts of Mashrafe. If i can call Nafees as the most surprising revelation with bat, to me, Mashrafe has been the most surprising underachiever overall.

I had some high hopes and reasonable expectations from him, especially after the way he had bowled his heart out during the India tour and some subsequent matches. Expected him to dominate a atleast a few duels and score some lusty blows or atleast a few runs with bat. He seemed a bit off-color.

Hope that dropped catch isn't bothering him too much.

And hope he regains his fighting self in the ODIs.

Good Luck, Mashrafe.

Shehwar
April 21, 2006, 05:48 AM
Yeah...fingers crossed mate...

sar2005
April 21, 2006, 07:06 AM
Can't say that dropped catch is not bothering him untill he really contributes with his bat and ball to the team. As for the 2nd test, none of the pacers of both teams were actually in a postion to deliver their best (probably due to the flat pitch). Only Gillespie ran through our top order in first innings with the shiny new ball and his swing. Mash was not that bad in terms of bowling in 1st test. But he is really strggling in batting.

Let's hope his 'Kenya Special' will bring some inspiration in upcoming ODIs.

Beamer
April 21, 2006, 12:19 PM
I still think he isn't 100% fit after the extended break from yet another injury. He only played one dayers since his comeback. He didn't look fit at all to me for test matches. I was very disapointed as well with him. This long break from cricket will do him good. He will be alright.

KricFreak
April 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have a feeling that Mashrafee's whole cricket career will be injury prone. He just doesn't seem that fit and infact now he's vulnerable more mentally because of the injuries he's got already in his short cricket life. It always plays in the back your of mind.

Where as, Shahadat seems like a better built both physically and mentally. I think with proper care he could be a good bowler and from the other end with Mash he can compensate the lack of agressiveness that Mash provides and could prove to be quite effective in tests. But for oneday my money is on Mash and Rasel.

amra_korbo_joy
April 21, 2006, 02:56 PM
I think he is 80% fit for the test and 95% fit for the ODI

Hatebreed
April 21, 2006, 03:41 PM
He looked very tired in the 2nd test but he tried his best no doubt. I hope he'll fire in the ODIs.

BioMEMS
April 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
Whenever I read about Mashrafee I can't help but think about my cousin who was in the same selection camp. He is an extremely good and physically fit pace bowler and was also a favourite among the selectors. Unfortunately my uncle passed away and he was forced to quit cricket and concentrate on his studies instead. Such is life...:(

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2006, 05:56 PM

and exactly how do you come up with those figures? :)

Sorry
April 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by amra_korbo_joy
and exactly how do you come up with those figures? :)
have you ever heard about 'fit-o-meter' ?

aosaif
April 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
it's sad isn't it? We actually have to find a replacement for an injury-prone Masrafe one day. Until then, he's got my backing.

vv_sunil
April 22, 2006, 04:12 AM
I too expecting some contribution from him, but..............
anyway, let us hope good from him in odi series

DJ Sahastra
April 23, 2006, 10:25 AM
I didn't see the match but read the follow-up in cricinfo and Bangla forum.

Mashrafe is either not fully fit or out of form. Or he is just going through the motions.

He is too good a player to be left out. Hope the management finds out what is it and work to get his real-self back.

fwullah
April 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
Saiful, Shanto, Monju, Tapash, Mashrafee, Shahadat, Russel - they're all the same; good for nothing. When they're all young and energetic at their early teens or 20s, we dream about them. But when they get a little experience, they just lose it. We're all watching Tapash. Where is he now? I believe he's not even 28 now, an age when all players become mature and start delivering. One day, we'll all watch Mashrafee and wonder where he is.