PDA

View Full Version : Rafiq As Opener??

zakirc
April 21, 2006, 07:33 AM
I know may of us have this dream of having an explosive batsman as an opener. At this moment Rafiq would be the best possible candidate. Lets see how many want to see him open the match (Of course in place of JO:D ).

Sovik
April 21, 2006, 07:36 AM
If we need and explosive batsman as an opener then we should go with aftab or ashraful. but not rafiq. because he will not succeed against lee and gilapi. but he could be sent when the spinners are operating.

sar2005
April 21, 2006, 07:39 AM
No. He is good in hitting spinners but not against the pacers always. We want Abir and Rajin to open followed by Aftab at number 3 if we bat first. Well, if we bat second and AUS scores 350+, you may want to think about sending Rafiq at 1,2 or 3.

Miraz
April 21, 2006, 07:40 AM
If we need and explosive batsman as an opener then we should go with aftab or ashraful. but not rafiq. because he will not succeed against lee and gilapi. but he could be sent when the spinners are operating.

Gillespie is not in ODI. Rafiq can be a choice only if aussies post a total of above 300. It will be a gamble and you can take the gample with Rafiq.

zakirc
April 21, 2006, 07:47 AM
Gillespie is not in ODI. Rafiq can be a choice only if aussies post a total of above 300. It will be a gamble and you can take the gample with Rafiq.

Exactly my point. On an apple-to-apple comparison we do not stand a chance to win against the Aussies. They are far more experienced, mature and organised in each department. If we are to repeat Cardiff, we need someone to shatter the conventional game style of Bangladesh and Rafiq, in my opinion has the quality to do so.

Sovik
April 21, 2006, 07:47 AM
Gillespie is not in ODI.

thats a great news. he is a good thinking bowler and a could have been a real threat. I have doubt about his effectiveness against Lee and Bracken. but he could give Cullen a debut to remember.

Mahmood
April 21, 2006, 07:52 AM
We have an explosive batsman as opener, Shahriar Nafees. He is performing quite well. We need an anchor opener, who will keep it together.

Sovik
April 21, 2006, 07:55 AM
We have an explosive batsman as opener, Shahriar Nafees. He is performing quite well. We need an anchor opener, who will keep it together.

Rajin and Nafees would be the first choice. rajin can hold one end and can rotate strikes and he can send the balls over the rope too. but if we are thinking of an anchor, don't let it be Jo

Daddy_Mac
April 21, 2006, 08:01 AM
I want Rafiq as a opener...He will be a far.......better opener then JO...and that will settle the argument of who will replace JO at the top..I think he will give a explosive start to the innings and if he has a big innings it will put a foundation for a good score of 200-250.....
So"Rafiq as opener"..I totally agree with the idea...but the only prob is his age...

Spitfire_x86
April 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
Unnecessary.

We should continue with SN and Rajin. None of them are explosive opener, but both are capable of playing well paced innings and we have Aftab at #3.

sadi
April 21, 2006, 08:06 AM
Rafiq can only open against team like kenya or zimbabwe.... against australia, he won't be successful.... i rather have him down the order.... shahriar nafees and rajin saleh looks quite a good opening pair to me.... aftab comes at number 3

thebest
April 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
Rafiq should come at the top if spinners are operating. We have much capable batsman in Aftab to play pacers. SN and RS are ideal opening partnership for us. But I know JO would play because of his so called ability to take the shine of new ball and moron selectors believe it.:mad:

Sovik
April 21, 2006, 09:53 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61900/61936.jpg

Looks like javed will once again open for us. he is practising real hard

Mr-Cricket
April 21, 2006, 10:09 AM
Rafique as opener? He's a top bloke, but have you seen the guy try to fend off bouncers? (Clearly you didn't watch last years Natwest Series - the Aussies have him figured out). If you really want to experiment, then try Ashraful.

You silly, silly man. **shakes head in disgust** :D

Omio
April 21, 2006, 12:58 PM
No way..
But for agnst weak team...

nayef
April 21, 2006, 01:17 PM
Its not worth the risk... Rajin and SN are the type of players we need at the top of the order... both have the urge to hang in there and score big if they get set.

Rubu
April 21, 2006, 01:20 PM
Rajin and Shahriar Nafis opens in ODI.

KricFreak
April 21, 2006, 01:30 PM
It's one thing to play spinners that are spinning the ball toward rafiq and it's another to play new cricket balls that get faster after pitching and swings at the same time. Against the new ball Rafiq will be caught in the gully or the 3rd slip without bothering the scorer.....

Rather I think we should concentrate on making Masrafee as an openning or a pinch hitter just like India did with Irfan. I am not saying Mash's batting is as good but he can play straight and has the power to play over the top taking advantage of the men in the inner circle and also it will relief his misery against the spinners.

cricket_pagla
April 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
why 1 earth.. we r gonna put him 2 open da innings?!.. he's doing gud against.. spin bowling.. remeber?!..

truetruetiger
April 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
i dont think rafique will open, but he may have done if he was much younger.this is my team for the 1st odi:
SNafees
rajin
aftab
ash
bashar
rafique
alok
pilot
masri
rasel
rajib

but this what i think the selectors will make it:
SNafees
JO
Aftab
Ash
Rajin
Bashar
Rafique
pilot
masri
razzaq
rasel

sadi
April 21, 2006, 03:32 PM
It's one thing to play spinners that are spinning the ball toward rafiq and it's another to play new cricket balls that get faster after pitching and swings at the same time. Against the new ball Rafiq will be caught in the gully or the 3rd slip without bothering the scorer.....

Rather I think we should concentrate on making Masrafee as an openning or a pinch hitter just like India did with Irfan. I am not saying Mash's batting is as good but he can play straight and has the power to play over the top taking advantage of the men in the inner circle and also it will relief his misery against the spinners.

mashrafee was pathetic against australia during the test matches.... he had no clue... he is over-rated as a batsman

Anher
April 21, 2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/61900/61936.jpg

Looks like javed will once again open for us. he is practising real hard

its 12th man fielding practice!! He could be a good 12th man for fielding, or may be water boy cos he can run fast. Dont u see JO's running whenever bd win any game. He run faster than forrest to get a stump for his 20yrs old son Abed omar.

TheWatcher
April 21, 2006, 03:53 PM
JO got a 20 years old son !!! You gotta be kidding.

Anher
April 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
JO got a 20 years old son !!! You gotta be kidding.
Dont u know that his real age is 38.

Hatebreed
April 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
lol that's true.. I remember after we beat SL Ravi Shashtri said- "I've never seen him (Javed Omar) run so fast, not even between the wickets..."

My answer to the poll, a big NO. This is Australia, not Zimbabwe. We need a solid start and enough wickets for the last 10-15 overs. Let Rajin, SN, Ash, Bashar etc lead the top order. Md Rafique and Masri can come out later to knock the Aussies out.

Hatebreed
April 21, 2006, 03:59 PM
Dont u know that his real age is 38.

That means JO knocked out his wife when he was 17-18?

Anher
April 21, 2006, 04:06 PM

Do i need to say yes again........i think u know the answer.

Sovik
April 21, 2006, 06:37 PM

Could be. any thing can be possible

fhstar
April 21, 2006, 07:51 PM
JO 38 ... that's news!!!!!!!!!!!

TheWatcher
April 21, 2006, 08:01 PM
HB, I too was wondering about that. Looks like JO bashing is taking a new dimension here.

cricketboy
April 21, 2006, 11:52 PM
I think it will be great stupidity to send Rafique at No 1, 2,3 against Aus. He can only attack against spinners and only plays few strokes(i mean kind of shots) against pacers. He is nothing more than a hard hitting lower order batsman. He is not a aggressive batsman like Afridi or Aftab. I would also play Aftab down the order with Tushar Imran or Ash at No3.

OnTheStumpss
April 21, 2006, 11:59 PM
its 12th man fielding practice!! He could be a good 12th man for fielding, or may be water boy cos he can run fast. Dont u see JO's running whenever bd win any game. He run faster than forrest to get a stump for his 20yrs old son Abed omar.

:p ;) :D nice!!!! i aslobelieved he was running like Forrest Gump to get a stump.
Run Javed Run!!!

bangla_fan
April 22, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hell yeah, Rafiq should bat at least for 4th batsman.

irteja
April 22, 2006, 12:40 AM

HHHHAAAAAA...well said...rafiq can be sucsessful as a opener team like kenia but not against aussi.....so i big NO

Nilas
April 22, 2006, 12:55 AM
We need a courageous batsman to open and we have four options
Nafees,Rafique,Ashraful,Aftab and rest are shaky. So I don't mind any of this two as opener. Or we may use Rafique in a way as india use Pathan

Sovik
April 22, 2006, 01:57 AM
Rafiq had a little success against quickies and new balls. so he is better option in lower order and when spins bowlers are operating. he could give a lesson to Cullen

vv_sunil
April 22, 2006, 04:05 AM
Rafique as an opener..... No, he should be in slog overs. During the 2nd innings of 2nd test, he never faced fast bowlers. He played against spin only and played well. I think he cant face new ball, so he is better in last overs

ASA
April 22, 2006, 04:15 AM
Do i need to say yes again........i think u know the answer.
Forget about JO's age ... what about the mother of the 20 year old? The video coverage of JO's wife that we have seen on various occasions does not look like she could have a 20 year old son ... unless she became a mother in high-school. :o

Or does JO maintain parallel 'universe' ;)

Anyways - this is totally off topic. :down:

Bugz
April 22, 2006, 05:06 AM
There is no need for Rafique to open, we will have an explosive opener in a few years...

Tamim :lol:

Anher
April 22, 2006, 05:08 AM
Forget about JO's age ... what about the mother of the 20 year old? The video coverage of JO's wife that we have seen on various occasions does not look like she could have a 20 year old son ... unless she became a mother in high-school. :o

Or does JO maintain parallel 'universe' ;)

Anyways - this is totally off topic. :down:

well sounds like u believed it all. But i'm sure thats not all folks. We(JO basher) believe it all u dont have to.
Who knows. But JO early time (70s) Child marriage used to happen so often. Well u dont have to believe that. We Basher believe it all. Thats all folks.

Carte Blanche
April 22, 2006, 05:23 AM
This isn't Kuala Lampur 1997. Rafiq doesn't have the technique to negotiate the brand new ball. We have tried this before with minimal success. It's best to stick to established openers. S. Nafees has been having a good series so far and it doesn't make much sense to alter his role by assigning a pinch hitter as his partner.

TheProfessor
April 23, 2006, 07:15 AM
I'd like to see Rafiq opening ... a quickfire 20/30 from him is what we need to unsettle any team's opening bowlers. If he fails we can always have the other opener playing at 1 down. If he succeeds, we can make History.