PDA

View Full Version : Read Andrew Miller's new piece on Bangladesh "When glory got away"(mentions BC:))

cricman
April 21, 2006, 10:49 PM
Heres the first paragraph

For the first time in six years of Test status, Bangladesh have finally succeeded in silencing their critics. Sadly, that aim has not been achieved solely through the brilliance of their performances. After the chaotic events of the past fortnight, the world has simply been rendered speechless by what they've just seen.

and a middle Paragraph

At banglacricket.com, the highly respected discussion forum, one recent thread led with a post-mortem of the series and a set of gradings for the players. The maiden centurion, Shahriar Nafees, picked up an A+ for his gutsy contributions, but his top-order colleagues, Mohammad Ashraful and Javed Omar, were both saddled with grossly unflattering Fs and demands to be dropped. To the neutral observer, their most serious crimes were that they allowed the occasion to get to them. Ashraful in particular, who scored that brilliant matchwinning century against the Aussies last summer, can't help but attract brickbats with every new failure.

heres the last

Those are the bare facts of another series when glory slipped through their fingertips. But with no more Test cricket for the next 12 months, Bangladesh can now refocus on its favourite form of the game. A solitary win in this week's three one-dayers, and all their sins will be forgiven. Even Ashraful's.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/story/245055.html

Frost
April 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
Good one! A few days ago someone was complaining about AM's biased articles against Bangladesh. Can someone forward all articles by AM for a quick reality check?

chinaman
April 22, 2006, 01:09 AM
I as much love to cherish the memory of this series for the rest of my life as I love to forget. Then again, as Miller put it eloquently, "A solitary win .." ...

Thirdman
April 22, 2006, 01:45 AM
Even I, the "renowned AM-hater" ;) - as I have gained my "reputation" here, have to admit that this was a very nicely put article by AM.

BTW, those of you who don't know, I don't hate AM. I just didn't/don't like many of his writings where Bangladesh is mentioned in a unnecessary negative way.

This current article, on the other hand, criticizes and evaluates Bangladesh truely professionally. IMHO, this is probably one of the the best that has ever been written in CricInfo about Bangladesh.

Thanks, AM!

Hatebreed
April 22, 2006, 01:58 AM
Great article Andrew, and well-done BC!

Sovik
April 22, 2006, 02:15 AM
Nice Article by andrew miller

Shaan
April 22, 2006, 02:27 AM
that was really briefly but analytically awesome article by AM.. I found his anylysis are very relevent piece by peice.. Thanks AM

cricket_pagla
April 22, 2006, 03:38 AM
cool article... n thanx 2 BC.forum.. we alwyz sound impressive.. ;)

tanvir_nus
April 22, 2006, 03:46 AM
I loved the picture beside the article, it somehow manages to say a lot than words can say. Most of their heads are down, and Bashar's hands are on Rafique's shoulders and Mashrafee is looking up. Perfect combination I must say.

AM does look like a friend. He is just as frustrated as us. At times, criticism is needed. But it must also be constructive and the message hopefully gets transmitted to the relevant parties. Otherwise there is no point really.

Miraz
April 22, 2006, 06:11 AM
I am just quoting a single paragraph from the artcile, for details please follow the link>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/story/245055.html)

Australia in Bangladesh 2005-06
When glory got away
Andrew Miller
April 22, 2006
'At banglacricket.com, the highly respected discussion forum, one recent thread led with a post-mortem of the series and a set of gradings for the players. The maiden centurion, Shahriar Nafees, picked up an A+ for his gutsy contributions, but his top-order colleagues, Mohammad Ashraful and Javed Omar, were both saddled with grossly unflattering Fs and demands to be dropped. To the neutral observer, their most serious crimes were that they allowed the occasion to get to them. Ashraful in particular, who scored that brilliant matchwinning century against the Aussies last summer, can't help but attract brickbats with every new failure. '

Miraz
April 22, 2006, 06:18 AM
A very well written column by Andrew Miller with all the passion of Bangladesh cricket and amazingly has all the emotions of fans.

This is the article which truly contains the facts of the series. I was a bit disaapointed when saw the verdict by Osman Samiuddin from Pakistan but this one by Andrew Miller is awesome. Hats off to Andrew Miller.

Spitfire_x86
April 22, 2006, 06:21 AM
Duplicate thread (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=16105)

Miraz
April 22, 2006, 06:24 AM
Sorry, I have not seen before. Mods please merge with the previous one.

nannu
April 22, 2006, 06:38 AM
o told u ppl this forum has more influence than it seems.

nannu

oracle
April 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
We owe Andrew a lot for promoting us so favourably.Can't think of any other forum that gets such PR attention.

exotic
April 22, 2006, 09:05 AM
I have never seen a Cricket forum gets that much attention of the media (first bangladesh newspapers and now CI), it certainly shows our passion for cricket is appreciated by the media. I am really proud of being a part of such an wonderful forum.

DotBall
April 22, 2006, 10:05 AM
It goes to show how well respected this forum is and how each one of us contribute to the cause.
We the fans will probably get more respect for our passion in the cricket world but our team has not been able to match that yet. Our team needs to build a better fighting attitude than they displayed in the 2nd test. What is the difference between us and aussie team? May be 15-20 weights on talent; but alarmingly a 10-20 weights on application. All our players must want to work harder and smarter to win and all the fans should encourage them to push farther. These players are the second generation (almost the first) of our cricket in test arena to make a mark for our country and it is not going to be easy. They will have to work twice as hard than the ones to follow. We should empathise with them but not make them soft.

al Furqaan
April 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
judhistir bhai, AM is a well wisher for our cricket...he has written a lot of the cricinfo player profiles for our boys. and has done a good job.

good piece AM!!!

Bancan
April 22, 2006, 10:47 AM
nice piece by AM.

Ahmed_B
April 22, 2006, 11:00 AM
Great piece by AM... perfectly depicting the frustrations of the BD fans. He really knows a lot already about how the BD fan's minds work. Thanks to him.

And I must also add... that BanglaCricket forum is probably among the best cricket-discussion forums in the world in terms of member's participation and quality of discussion. All credit goes to the members .. thanks a lot everyone. And I am not saying this becaues I am a member of this forum... this is my honest personal opinion. In general, People here are not really biased or flying high in the air.. huge majority of the members are actually quite knowledgable and think in depth beyond what the bare eyes see. :)

Banglatiger84
April 22, 2006, 11:04 AM
Kudos to BanglaCricket, i dotn recall seeing any other message board being mentioned in world media, i still remember how pompous bhai was quoted in BBC after our win against Australia last summer. .....

SMHasan
April 22, 2006, 11:09 AM
a very nice one from AM!Long Live Miller bhai!

bop
April 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
At banglacricket.com, the highly respected discussion forum, one recent thread led with a post-mortem of the series and a set of gradings for the players. The maiden centurion, Shahriar Nafees, picked up an A+ for his gutsy contributions, but his top-order colleagues, Mohammad Ashraful and Javed Omar, were both saddled with grossly unflattering Fs and demands to be dropped. To the neutral observer, their most serious crimes were that they allowed the occasion to get to them. Ashraful in particular, who scored that brilliant matchwinning century against the Aussies last summer, can't help but attract brickbats with every new failure.

Extract from When glory got away (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/story/245055.html)

sar2005
April 22, 2006, 03:44 PM
Deleted post, since duplicate due to merger of two threads.

Shaan
April 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
Hi this thread has been already posted today,, so check earlier thred of this forum..

sar2005
April 22, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Shaan is right. I just discovered this -

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=16105

sar2005
April 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
A nice article by A. Miller once again. I really like the lines -

If they'd produced their second innings at Chittagong in the second innings at Fatullah, Bangladesh would have won that first Test at a canter; if they'd shown the same resolve in the first innings at Chittagong as in the first innings at Fatullah, then Gillespie's double-century would have come too slowly to enable the win.
unquote

So close but so far.......

Thanks to AM for such a nice article and thanks to cricman for opening this thread.

Carte Blanche
April 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
Merged now.

ammark
April 22, 2006, 04:05 PM
Hehe, and a few days ago certain opiniated members were criticising Andrew Miller. Good to see his presence in the forums once in a while, I wish him well.

Tehsin
April 22, 2006, 07:32 PM
Great, I was about to send him a u2u after his recent post (in Andrew Miller never misses a Chance!: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=15938). I don't think he hates us and I definitely don't think he likes to take a shot at us every chance he gets. I have read some realy good reviews from him and frankly, his writing should always reflect what's going on on the pitch. Unfortunately, we had more bad days than good and he really doesn't have much to work with. When he does, he does a fair job of it: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/natwestseries/content/story/211413.html (BDs ODI win over the Aussies).

The way we handled the last two days and the entire second test was both UGLY and unforgivable. We are lucky that there wasn't more criticism about the way we played. If our cricketers can't handle a few rough articles, how are they supposed to stand up to the Australians/South Africans/Indians on the field? I firmly believe that we should answer all our critics on the field. That is how we will earn our respect. I want RESPECT for BD cricket, not pity.

Zunaid
April 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
Corrections to Tehsins post. :)

The way we handled the last two days and the entire second test was both UGLY and unforgivable. We are lucky that there wasn't more criticism about the way we reacted. If we fans can't handle a few rough articles, how are we supposed to stand up to the Australians/South Africans/Indians on the forums? I firmly believe that we should answer all our critics on the field. That is how we will earn our respect. I want RESPECT for BD fans, not pity.

Omio
April 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
Tnx Andrew Miller

Tehsin
April 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
Corrections to Tehsins post. :)

Thank you. :)