PDA

View Full Version : BD Should Prepare Sporting Wickets - Always!

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 04:29 AM
There is no use of making a flat or batting friendly wickets for BD. It always helps the opposition. We have to keep in mind that opposition's batsman are far far better than ours. By making a flat wicket, we actually help them to score better and freely. Rather we should create a wicket of bowler friendly or sporting. It means, we will always have a chance to restrict opposition within a modest score. And our batsman can perform as usual. If it is a good day, one or two player can make big fifties which may become good enough to win a game.

I always believe that Cardiff type of pitch is the one that can really help us to win a game or two.

Batting friendly wicket against Australia means they will always dominate and player like Gillespie will score a lot. It does not make much changes in BD performance. BD is now a team to score 200 to 230 in any wicket. But to restrict teams like AUS within that, BD bowlers MUST need extra help from the pitch which a sporting wicket can provide.

Sovik
April 23, 2006, 05:12 AM
no matter what types of wicket we make, batsmen will never be able to take advantage. and for that we should give our bowlers some chances

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 05:19 AM
no matter what types of wicket we make, batsmen will never be able to take advantage. and for that we should give our bowlers some chances

Absolutely! That's what I tried to say. But you explained so nicely in brief.

While trying to help our batsman, we are actually making rose bed for opposition's batsman. Rather we should make a very very bowler friendly wicket. Probably spinner frinedly keeping in mind that we have few good spinners in u19 who will come inside team in near future. Let's become a spinner friendly nation as we can't deliver much quality pacers.

exotic
April 23, 2006, 07:25 AM
While trying to help our batsman, we are actually making rose bed for opposition's batsman. Rather we should make a very very bowler friendly wicket. Probably spinner frinedly keeping in mind that we have few good spinners in u19 who will come inside team in near future. Let's become a spinner friendly nation as we can't deliver much quality pacers.

Yeah thats the point, flat track only ensures opponent batsmen get all the advantages, because for our batsmen pitch and bowlers don't matter, they themselves are enough to mess things up.

And keeping the weeknesses of the opponent in mind, we should ensure that they face the most hostile situation where they will only struggle (like invite India and make bouncy pitch with lots of grasses on it and pacer der ke lelaye dite hobe, that will do the trick). By now its quite obviuos that aussies are not that great against spin specially when its turning and ball keeping low. So why not we make it further low and slow and make gilchrist, ponting and symonds (i fear these three most, they are just simply explosive) life miserable by restricting their strokeplay. I was talking about this well before the series started. And I still belief Aus are not gonna make 300 in this series let alone 400/500. And if our batemen can get anything excess over 250, we are definitely capble of making a match out of that (even they were struggling today to get that paltry total of 196 and even after that flying start).

We should make sure real low and slow pitch for rest of the matches (i don't see anyone except hussey feels comfortable on such track), and if allah wants, we can even win both of them (given that amader batmen der kichuta hush hobe baki dui match-a). I was really proud of the way our spinners bowls today and make aussies struggle in the later part of the game. I hope our batsmen show some sort of patience in remaining matches, after all 'patience and make ur opponent struggle are the name of the game'. Good luck Bangladesh. I am really looking forward to a win or two in next five days time. Go bangladesh go, we are all with u.

Frost
April 23, 2006, 11:34 AM
Very true. We need to make sporty wickets all the time. It does not make sense making slow and flat wickets while we have to play good wickets outside Bangladesh (or subcontinent). Besides our batsmen has the ability collapse (with very few exceptions) in any wicket, so what is our motivation to make such wickets? Wishing that our opponent will fail, cause they are not used to bat in such bad wicket? Wrong, good teams adapt very quickly, even a mediocre player from a good team can adapt - burning example, Jason Gillespie. On the other hand, our batsmen continue to fail.

With a good bouncy or turning wicket our bowlers will get some chance they deserve and batsmen will get a few bouncers on their helmets and rib cages for playing stupid shots they deserve and learn to play better.

Carte Blanche
April 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ermm sporting? Our pitches ARE sporting most of the time. Variable bounce aside, most of our pitches are batsman friendly. We neither have a dusty spinner's paradise, nor a fast bowler's kingdom like WACA.

I think what you are suggesting is preparing pitch tailor-made to suit our strengths. This leads to the question: "What exactly is our strength?". We do have a couple of spinners, but making a pitch suitable to spinners will also assist the Warnes and MacGills. This also depends on the opposition. For instance, if we are to play the WI, making a spinner friendly wicket is the best bet. But against the likes of Australia, it simply doesn't matter. They are such a balanced side that it is hard to find a specific flaw to target at. This is why, I think, making a batsman friendly pitch was the wise thing to do against the Aussies.

Orpheus
April 23, 2006, 12:06 PM
I agree, No problem with pitch preparation. The way bashar is winning the toss, one would have thought the coin was rigged and everything was planned way ahead..

but this is what u call Law of averag or large numbers or whatever

DotBall
April 23, 2006, 12:10 PM
I support a pitch that helps our cause (flat or sporting). All our pitches are always the same (flat and no grass). This restricts our batsmen and bowler to extend and diversify their skills. I would not mind seeing a sporting wicket (little bit of grass but not too much moisture). This will give the quicks some assist and the dryness should help the spinner.

Miraz
April 23, 2006, 12:13 PM
I agree, No problem with pitch preparation. The way bashar is winning the toss, one would have thought the coin was rigged and everything was planned way ahead..

:lol: I also thought in the same line. I would love to see Bashar's toss luck is translated into match luck.

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
It looks like it's always our bowlers who enable us with some good fight. Batsman are always same apart from 1 of 10 extra ordinary innings. Why should not we give a chance to our bowlers with a good bowling friendly wicket? Moreover, we don't have the power cricket that can take the advantage of the pitch to score a 300 (which unfortunately most of the other teams have).

Sovik
April 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
not just slow wickets. some grassy wickets for Mashrafee, rasel, shahdat & co. to bowl. we don't need batting tracks. cause our batsmen will never take that advantage

amra_korbo_joy
April 23, 2006, 05:42 PM
That was my point always -- BD must make Sporting wicket if want to succeed. Our bowlers are dependable. Our batsmen are fragile, but they get more attention from management: we always make batting wicket, our coach is a batsman, Captain is a batsman, there is no bowling coach, etc. . This attitude needs to change.

TheWatcher
April 23, 2006, 05:58 PM
Chittagong wicket was actually more bowlers friendly than being batters friendly. It was tailor made for the spinners. We lost this match because our batters gave away their wickets to Aussies pacers, while Gilchrist made a fist out of our quickies.

IanW
April 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
In my view, the pitches prepared for the Test series were just about perfect - you could bat well on them, and you could bowl well on them.

Dont repeat the English disaster of the 1980s, where greentops destroyed a generation of batting and bowling.

Ian Whitchurch

sar2005
April 24, 2006, 04:50 AM
"We have learnt a very good lesson in the match like first Test which I think definitely will work on the next two games in Dhaka. Looked like it was the kind of wicket where you had to get the runs against the new ball while it was shiny and hard and coming on to the bat." - Adam Gilchrist

This was the view on 1st ODI wicket. If we are gonna have same type of wicket for the rest of the serries, we need some strong home work to stop Gilli.

Captain
April 24, 2006, 09:18 AM
I think the home side should always prepare wickets according to their strengths .Players should adapt playing in diff condns...that's the beauty of the game.....otherwise cricket will be boring.