PDA

View Full Version : BD version of Gilchrist

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 06:16 AM
Should not we look for our own version of Gilchrist? Keeping those powerplay rules in mind, we must also start the innings with fire specially in batting friendly pitches. Either Ashraful or Aftab should be asked to open the innings with S.Nafees and start fire-work like Gilchrist. Both of them have the capability of doing so and we must need to try something like this. Rajin should be placed in middle order and then he can also give solidity in middle order. Rajin and Bashar would be nice pair to play in middle overs just for singles and odd bounderies.

Moreover, Ashraful is not clicking in his possition for a long time now. We must help him by doing something different. I think we should try to utilize the Ashraful that we discovered in ENG last summer. I know he was used as opener before but why not give it a try again? The batting order for next ODI should look like -

S.Nafees
Ashraful
Aftab
Rajin
Bashar
Tushar
Pilot
Rafiq
Murtuza
Razzak
Russel/Shahadat*

Please don't ask about promoting Rafiq and Murtuza on top of the order. I'm not talking about a pinch hitter. Rather we should look for an attacking solid batsman to open hour innings - just like our own version of Gilchrist!!

Please feel free to say your comments.

*Edited to add Shahadat. If Russel or Shahadat should play is a seperate issue to discuss.

Sovik
April 23, 2006, 06:27 AM
we still can't bat 50 overs. we don't need gilchrist at this point. we need some solid batsmen who can rotate strikes, hold one end and send bad balls out of the field

layperson
April 23, 2006, 06:32 AM
i agree to sar2005 abt his views on the batting line up ... ashraful has been unsuccessfull in his current position nd rajin is will provide more solidity in the middle .. he is more likely than ashraful to hold on to his wicket if we hv a collapse ... however i wud still like to see shahdat in place of rasel ... shahadat is probably the best fast bowler we hv now after mashrafee .... nd with time he might even eclipse mashrafee .... i really liked his attitude in the test matches and he bowled his heart out there ....

Spitfire_x86
April 23, 2006, 06:36 AM
As long as they don't bring Golla again, we will be okay. SN and Rajin is capable of making a good opening partnership at decent pace. At #3 and #4 we have Aftab to accelerate.

Shakalaka
April 23, 2006, 06:36 AM
The problem is that ASH and Aftab are not pure strokers of the balls. Their understanding of the game is pretty frustrating.

Ash did try to opened his bat today like usual, but he is just not goos enough to play those shots in subcontinent. England pitch is bouncy. IN BD, bowl stays low, Ash cant do any of his flukes here, unless he is Gilly ofcourse.

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 06:37 AM
we still can't bat 50 overs. we don't need gilchrist at this point. we need some solid batsmen who can rotate strikes, hold one end and send bad balls out of the field

That's what Aftab or Ashraful can be asked to do, send bad balls out of the fild. You can't rotate much when field restriction is on and 9 filders are inside the circle. Talking about playing 50 overs, it does not make much changes in shifting one of those two's position. I'm sure you don't want JO back in the team to help playing 50 overs. My point is to make the most of field restriction as we will be loosing wickets similarly in each level of the game.

Most importantly, both of ash and aft have already proven their natural instinct of attacking cricket.

Sovik
April 23, 2006, 07:02 AM
I'm sure you don't want JO back in the team to help playing 50 overs.

not in million years. aftab and ashraful can play over the top and thats how they get out. rajin and shahriar both can play shots.

TheProfessor
April 23, 2006, 07:11 AM

Are we asking for Javed Omer here??:confused:

Miraz
April 23, 2006, 07:37 AM
I have got a feeling that we will see JO in the starting line up in second match. They might drop Ash/Rajin for JO. (I pray, I am wrong).

I would go with sar and will pick Ashraful as an opener and Rajin in ashraful's place. I will also allow Ashraful to play his natural aggressive play. He might fail in some occasions but he can also bring us some win.

Logo
April 23, 2006, 08:16 AM
I have got a feeling that we will see JO in the starting line up in second match. They might drop Ash/Rajin for JO. (I pray, I am wrong).

Oh noooooooooooooo...i's just sighing with relief that we finally got rid of him...so is he gonna be coming back to make another 20 odd runs from more than 50 balls??? i'm sure Dav would say "no, thank you...you've done enough!":confused:

Shaan
April 23, 2006, 09:23 AM
OK I understood Ashraful is natuarally stroke player and capable of sparkle firework for us that what he is doing once in a blue moon, but don't forget he is not Gilchrist what I mean our players are not near close to Gilchrist whoever it is Ash or Aftab, So these guys shlould realise this and play their natural game instead of want to be Gili or more then dekhiaya dimu type..

rafiq
April 23, 2006, 09:35 AM
It;s amazing this team cannot play 50 overs. Mashrafee's batting has completely left him, he is the player most out of form, not Ash or JO

Spitfire_x86
April 23, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'm afraid of that, too :(

I would go with sar and will pick Ashraful as an opener and Rajin in ashraful's place. I will also allow Ashraful to play his natural aggressive play. He might fail in some occasions but he can also bring us some win.
I would continue with SN and Rajin in the next 2 matches. Making changes after only one failure isn't a good thing. Ashraful has played some good inningses at #4 and Rajin scored century as opener only 1 match ago.

Miraz
April 23, 2006, 10:12 AM

I would continue with SN and Rajin in the next 2 matches. Making changes after only one failure isn't a good thing. Ashraful has played some good inningses at #4 and Rajin scored century as opener only 1 match ago.

Continuation with SN & Rajin is definitely better option. I proposed Ash as an opener just to make a change in Ash's mindset and to allow him play his natural game.

sadi
April 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
Ash looked really tense in the last match... either we need to sit him or try something different... opening is not a bad option...

Locutus
April 23, 2006, 11:20 AM
Ash needs to be dropped for atleat one match. He is in a slump.
Does anyone know if Nafis Iqbal and Masfiqur Rahim is on the squad for the ODI matches?????

DotBall
April 23, 2006, 12:30 PM
It is such a bad idea that we should not be even thinking about it. Gilchrist is Gilchrist and trying to emulate him with our current crop of players is going to be a sure mistake. He did not become a fear factor for all bowler in the world cricket for his slog shots. He mostly plays with a straight bat but he times his shots well and hits them powerfully.

No need to put Ash in the openning, Rajin and Nafees can do the job as openers quite well.

israr
April 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
Excuse me, those who're saying that Ash can't play in the subcontinental pitches and is only a success in English-type pitches, what about 158 on a turning track of chittagong, was it all a fluke. what about his century on test debut against sri lanka, against Murali in his own backyard at sri lanka. yeh, all this was a fluke right? Dude, he is the focus of Bangladesh, something like Lara for Windies or Tendulkar used to be for india. He is capable of playing in any type of pitch, and he can fire in any moment. Remember , great players always come back with a bang all of a sudden, they don't go through gradual improvement for coming back to forum. I'm not ata ll worried about him, he will fire very soon

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
The problem is that ASH and Aftab are not pure strokers of the balls. Their understanding of the game is pretty frustrating.

Ash did try to opened his bat today like usual, but he is just not goos enough to play those shots in subcontinent. England pitch is bouncy. IN BD, bowl stays low, Ash cant do any of his flukes here, unless he is Gilly ofcourse.

I agree Ash-Af don't have the right understanding of the game but do not agree that they are not pure stroke makers. The point I'm asking any of them to open the innings is because of their stroke play which is their natural game as well.

Ash did it in ENG, then why not in BD where he is playing from his childhood? That's why he should go when the ball is new and come fast to him with good bounce.

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
OK I understood Ashraful is natuarally stroke player and capable of sparkle firework for us that what he is doing once in a blue moon, but don't forget he is not Gilchrist what I mean our players are not near close to Gilchrist whoever it is Ash or Aftab, So these guys shlould realise this and play their natural game instead of want to be Gili or more then dekhiaya dimu type..

We are not calling them Gili, nor we compare them with him. All we are trying is to make one of the version of gili for BD :D

sar2005
April 23, 2006, 03:50 PM

Yeah, probably you are right Spity. This thought just come out of an impatient fan of BD seeing his team and some star players struggling again and again. I must admit I have to be patient to see BD in TOP.