PDA

View Full Version : Do the BD batsmen need psychological help?

Logo
April 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
Ok so i've been pondering on the topic and it seems as if some of our players, especially the batsmen, don't have the psychological advantage when we are put up against a better team. It seems that in their mind they see their opponents winning even before a ball has been bowled in the match. Maybe they need to be coached on how to think like winners, specially that would help us in the longer version of the game where one or two good sessions can change the out come of the match.

Perhaps when they feel stronger mentally they'll play a different ball game. And our captain might feel confident enough to set a more attacking field helping us in putting up a better fight in the future.

Fazal
April 23, 2006, 09:58 PM
Do the BD batsmen need psychological help?

I think they need pathological help first.

Logo
April 23, 2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah,maybe you are right... "pathological batting performance" manifesting itself in the tendency to commit batting suicide by playing wrong shots at the wrong time ... it seems like when they go out to bat, they somehow lose their ability to think rational cricketing thoughts.I am sure in reality they are a lot better at batting than their performance during this series show them to be...I think the most important things they lack are:

power of concentration

Self belief

and

patience.

Can't say I blame them though.It's tough carrying the expectation of 150 million people on your shoulders.I just wish there was a clear cut way to help them get over the immense pressure they seem to feel whenever they go out to play these days.I hate to see those hanging heads.

cricket_pagla
April 24, 2006, 06:13 AM
at last.. som1.. speak up.. abt.... phsylogical help of BD... its needed ryt noW!!!
i think.. why. Asraf00l.. bcom super flop!.. couple of days earlier.. remeber dere ws.. a thread.. som model. wit Ashraf00l.. i think.. whn.. he get in2 da creach.. he think of her.. n brk his concentration n get out... in mayb hes talkin usin' AKTEL JOY.. 2 talk wit her ;)....:D

Sovik
April 24, 2006, 06:31 AM
Did anyone see the article about dropping Gibbs because of his mental tiredness. i think our selectors should talk to the players. may be some of them are suffering from some problems. may be some issue that can not be revealed to public. so they should need to sort those out. and if a psycologist is needed then why not.

Logo
April 24, 2006, 06:33 AM
lolz...poor model monalisa...girls beware!! never take pictures with Ashraful if you want him make runs...!!!

if what you said is true, its all Aktel's fault, burn'em down!!! NO MORE AKTEL JOY...it's leading us to more SORROW!!! ;)

Logo
April 24, 2006, 06:34 AM
maybe you got a point there sovik.

shimraj
April 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
One thing I noticed of our team is the following. Good game of cricket is not always 'pitaiya potaiya fela'. For example, when Mash joined Rafique in the 1st ODI, he was supposed to keep the wicket and give Rafique the hit. But instead he thought, why waste these balls when I can hit hard and played such an irresponsible ludicrous senseless shot that I wish I could strangle him right at that moment. Our players do not use their heads because they think they might get hurt if hit by a ball.

OZGOD
April 24, 2006, 02:29 PM
There's no shame in getting help from psychologists for the players. Most of today's cricket teams have some kind of psychologist to help them - India had Sandy Gordon from OZ for the 2003 WC, NZ have had a psychologist for a few years now (though he's probably not adding value) and SA had use of a shrink when they were playing OZ recently.

Cricket is as much mental as physical, particularly at Test level.

jeesh
April 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yes however when compared to a year or two ago our batting has improved a lot. Ay least we are making our opponents bat twice in test cricket. I think all our batsmen need to spend a lot more time in first class cricket to improve. True sometimes our batsmen bat senselessly, but they need more experience to improve.
Rajin and Shahriar Nafees have given us reasons to smile this series, lets hope they keep it up and learn to be consistent!

IanW
April 26, 2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah, the batsmen could use a good sports psychologist.

But not as much as the fans here.

Ian Whitchurch

jeesh
April 26, 2006, 09:40 PM
Haha! Good One!

Sauron
April 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
Do the BD batsmen need psychological help?

YES!!!
But question is how do we find a psychologist who is qualified enough ... I doubt there is one.

Imtiazk
April 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
I think we will run short of psychologists to cater for this lot. Some need psychiatric help though !

BioMEMS
April 27, 2006, 02:20 PM
i recommend Whatmore reads Shiv Khera's You Can Win to all the players before each match begins!

aosaif
April 27, 2006, 04:57 PM
Excuse me, our team DOES HAVE A PSYCHOLOGIST!!!

I just think that maybe our psychologist also needs a personal psychologist for himself because of the way our batsmen throw away their wickets, i mean, they might as well try to smash the stumps with their bat and it wouldn't make any difference to our score.

I'm considering getting a psychologist of my own.