PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh team announced, Ashraful axed for second ODI

Miraz
April 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
According to Daily Star report selectors are thinking to 'rest' Ashraful for the final two ODIs. They are not sure whether it would help Ashraful to regain his form or not??

Chief selector Faruque Ahmed however declined to make any comment over the whisperings that Ashraful was going to miss the last two one-day matches.
"It was nice to see him perform during home series against Sri Lanka. But he was struggling since Kenya tour and his inconsistency gap widened in the series. I can't comment right at the moment weather a break will be helpful for him or not,".

Daily Star News>> (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/04/25/d60425040129.htm)

I don't think it will help either Bangladesh or Ashraful. He should be in the team to have any chance against the aussies.

At last speculation came true!!

From cricinfo

Mohammad Ashraful, Bangladesh's middle-order batsman, has been dropped from the squad for the second one-day international against Australia at Fatullah tomorrow. Alok Kapali, another middle-order batsman, has been called up as replacement.

"He [Ashraful] is a little bit out of form at the moment and his confidence is also down, so we feel he should have a break," Dav Whatmore, Bangladesh's coach, told Reuters. Habibul Bashar, the captain, said that it was a decision the team management was forced to take. "It is very unfortunate that we have to drop a batsman like Ashraful," he said. "But we have no other option as he looked out of form."

Bangladesh have also called up Shahadat Hossain, the fast bowler who impressed in the Tests, to replace Syed Rasel, who went for 35 runs in four overs at Chittagong.

Full report from Cricinfo>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/245318.html)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

adel
April 24, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thats so dumb, why would you rest one of our best batsmen.....Resting him will do nothing as you need experience to improve......I can't beileve the selectors are even thinking about resting Mohhamad Ashraful!!!!:flag:

GuruTM
April 24, 2006, 06:44 PM
Ashraful should be dropped for the fourth and fifth match. Let him play the second and third.

layperson
April 24, 2006, 06:52 PM
Ashraful should be dropped for the fourth and fifth match. Let him play the second and third.

good one !!!!! hahahaha.. we shud pass this msg on to the selectors...:D

cricman
April 24, 2006, 07:01 PM
you've got nothing to lose, play him If HB wins another toss we should field, like i said I'd rather Chase then defend. I think Ash also play better when he know what type of score we need to win.

P.S Pointing said he'd like to win a toss so they can bat first.

SMHasan
April 24, 2006, 07:37 PM
As for Ashrafool :) there is a little chance of doing good in the next matches, very little. After his last dismissal I believed that he should be kicked out from the team cause there are others who can take his place and there are chances of having better something from them. What a waste! Everything was set to play a good knock but what he did? Looked pretty good early in his innings but then could not control himself. A full house, nice weather what an atmosphere to play nice cricket. Still Ash failed.

The million dollar question is does his exclusion do any good to the team? Don't know really, the almighty knows this and Ash might!

Sovik
April 24, 2006, 07:58 PM
Thats so dumb, why would you rest one of our best batsmen.....Resting him will do nothing as you need experience to improve......I can't beileve the selectors are even thinking about resting Mohhamad Ashraful!!!!:flag:

whats the harm in resting best players. gibbs has been dropped because he is mentally tired. i want to see our selectors to do what south african selectors did. i want our selectors to have a chat with players if they are going through some crisis off field. if necessary then they should hire a psycologist

sadi
April 24, 2006, 09:03 PM
you've got nothing to lose, play him If HB wins another toss we should field, like i said I'd rather Chase then defend. I think Ash also play better when he know what type of score we need to win.

P.S Pointing said he'd like to win a toss so they can bat first.

we find new excuses everyday for ash's poor run... don't we?? when he didn't get run against kenya, it was weak opposition... now he is not getting runs because he doesn't what type of score we need to win?? Good one.... whats next.... he can't play well unless he is playing in cardiff??

BonBon
April 24, 2006, 09:26 PM
May God rest Ashrafool for ever.. amen

cricman
April 24, 2006, 09:34 PM
I'd rather have us Chase than defend. It's benifts all batsmen, It forces them to pace there innings according to situation unless if his name is JO. If your chasing 300+ you gotta play fast and loose Sri Lanka 300+ Ash 64(67), Eng 300+ Ash 94(58). If your Chasing 220 odd you can pace your innings Sri Lanka 213 Ash 51(70).

Honestly do you think we can beat Australia defending 250+. If Australia scores 300+ so what! you still know how many you need to win.

On another note: I have this stange feeling that JO will replace Ash. Ahhh! And what has Kaps done to earn a cap? Wouldn't be surprised if he got stranded on his lucky number 13.

SMHasan
April 24, 2006, 09:44 PM
Didnt kapali show well against the Lankans? I think there are too many kapali bahsars here.

Beamer
April 24, 2006, 10:04 PM
He will play.

adel
April 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
whats the harm in resting best players. gibbs has been dropped because he is mentally tired. i want to see our selectors to do what south african selectors did. i want our selectors to have a chat with players if they are going through some crisis off field. if necessary then they should hire a psycologist
That may be trues but they've only dropped Gibbs because he is 'menatally tired.' Gibbs had a talk with the selectors and they said a break and a fresh start to the new season would do good for him...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4934018.stm. However i dont think Ashraful is tired, he hasn't even played half of the games Gibbs has. So as i said before, 'Experience plays a vital role in players improving'...As will be the case with Ashraful....

Anyway Bhai....No hard feelings, everyone has there opinion...:flag:

Shakalaka
April 25, 2006, 04:02 AM
If he keeps playing like this and we keep him with "No-Matter-What" stubborn mentality; then whats the point for other players who is working hard and performing better; currently not in the team???

There has to be some sense of accountability among players "on" the team. He is taking a space and since he is not producing, another deserved players should get his due.

nsd3
April 25, 2006, 04:05 AM
When rumours like this comes up on Bangladesh Team, usually something new happens in the end. It might be a ploy to divert attention from where selectors are thinking at present. We may see Ashraful being untouched and Mashrafi being axed, who knows! Let's see.

However, personally I believe Ashraful can be rested in the 2nd and be brought back in the third one.

Sam
April 25, 2006, 05:03 AM
Dropping Ash is a sort of punishment indeed. And BD can effort to drop him, because any inclusion (like Kapali) might be proved better than his average contribution. Moreover, this type of punishment should do good to Ash, as he improves against punishments, as he did twice in the past. Last time he came up much stronger in the domestic league after punishment(monetary).
At least, as said by nsd3, he can be rested at least for one match and bring back later, if the replacement also fails to produce good results.
Here I want to point out that, Ash's poor performance is totally his mental problem and nothing to do with his technique or anything. If you read The Inswinger by Wasim after the 1st ODI, there he pointed out that the shot was a predetermined shot and not to the merit of the ball. This is not acceptable from a player like him.

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 05:30 AM
Mohammad Ashraful, Bangladesh's middle-order batsman, has been dropped from the squad for the second one-day international against Australia at Fatullah tomorrow. Alok Kapali, another middle-order batsman, has been called up as replacement.

"He [Ashraful] is a little bit out of form at the moment and his confidence is also down, so we feel he should have a break," Dav Whatmore, Bangladesh's coach, told Reuters. Habibul Bashar, the captain, said that it was a decision the team management was forced to take. "It is very unfortunate that we have to drop a batsman like Ashraful," he said. "But we have no other option as he looked out of form."

Bangladesh have also called up Shahadat Hossain, the fast bowler who impressed in the Tests, to replace Syed Rasel, who went for 35 runs in four overs at Chittagong.

Full report from Cricinfo>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvaus/content/current/story/245318.html)

anthrax
April 25, 2006, 05:39 AM
Great NEWS!!!!!!!..:up:

Kapali is a much better option....

Thunder
April 25, 2006, 05:39 AM
i dont think dropping him may not be the solution for him to improve his form. selectors have to look at our other batsman as well.. are they doing any better than ashraful? besides, he is not tired at all. how many matches he played so far? not too many of course..

i think our coach dav should help him more or may be a batting coach may help him in this case. the thing is, he is not learning from his mistakes. every time he gets out he should think back, he should look at the videos how he got out. this will help him to develop a style of his own to play the game.. so a batting coach is necessary for him..

another solution may be, he can go to Ricky for some good batting tips.. at present he is no. 1 batsman in the world! Ashraful should not miss this opportunity! :)

thebest
April 25, 2006, 05:48 AM
Though Ash one is expected. I was surprised of Rasel. One bad match and u r thrown out. Then why so much persist with Ash or Mash

ibnul
April 25, 2006, 06:12 AM
Ash one should have been done before the 1st one dayer, anyway that looks like selectors are reading "BanglaCricket" :-)
Russel or Shadat both same caliber bowlers so no issue there.

Bugz
April 25, 2006, 06:16 AM
Great NEWS!!!!!!!..:up:

Kapali is a much better option....

I am getting just a little sick of reading this sort of cra'p.

Ashraful has given Bangladesh Cricket some its best moments, but most of you have a go at him, when the mood suits.

Grow up.:mad:

Now on to the team; Syed Rasel should have been persisted with for another game and in my opinion Kapali is a hack, but hey what can I do???

:flag: Bangladesh to win.

adel
April 25, 2006, 06:19 AM
Have the Bangladesh selectors gone crazy???They have dropped our best batsmen in Mohammad Ashraful and with that they have essentially ruined our already slim prospects of winning against the Australians....But Ash WILL BE BACK, and when he does make his return he will make all his doubters swallow their tounges....i guarntee that
Cholo Bangladesh:flag:

Sovik
April 25, 2006, 06:21 AM
Have the Bangladesh selectors gone crazy???They have dropped our best batsmen, Mohammad Ashraful and with they have essentially ruined our already slim prospects of winning against the Australians....But Ash WILL BE BACK, and when he does make his return he will make all his doubters swallow their tounges....
Cholo Bangladesh:flag:

Ashraful needed a break. he was under pressure. and everytime he came in to the crease, looked like something is bothering him

karimjay.
April 25, 2006, 06:22 AM
I thought we should keep Ash for now but I had a feeling that they would axe him. Rasel should not have been dropped, better ODI bowler than Shahadat and dropping him already will do nothing good for his confidence. Bdeshi fast bowlers were having a bad day and gilchrist was having a great one, not Rasels fault he could not impress.

Sovik
April 25, 2006, 06:27 AM
Rasel had just one bad day. and the condition did not suit him.when we will se our three bowlers bowling in a pacer friendly condition. and lets see what can shahadat bring to the side

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 06:29 AM
It was really a very hard decision to make. Undoubtedly Ash is the best batsman in the side and he was the man for Bangladesh's hope but again he was not in any sort of form. I think selectors have made a pretty good decison to drop him for 2nd ODI. Ash might be back in the team in the 3rd ODI if Kapali or Tusar fails to prove their inclusion. I liked the word used by the selectors and coach that Ash is 'rested' not 'omitted'.
Anyway Kapali's inclusion might help BD's bowling but Iam not confident about his batting (he is another latented batsman and pretty inconsistent). Shahadat's inclusion is a right decision but I would have preferred to drop Mashrafee instead of Rasel as Mash also needs a rest.

Bengali_bradman
April 25, 2006, 06:35 AM
It's good that Kapali is fit to play in the second match ... He has some good style, and we can still rely on him. But, in spite of Ashraful's recent bad performances, I think he should have been allowed in the 2nd ODI ... When you are not confident enough, you need a good innings, and for that you need to play!! ... Moreover, this tye of decision will do nothing but create more pressure on him, which may eventually terminate his career ... !!!

Bengali_bradman
April 25, 2006, 06:37 AM
During Kenya matches, JO and Nafees played good openning partnership ... They should have been set as they were ... Rajin can be sent one down if openners fall before 50 ... Ashraful could be sent upper order in case of solid start ...

Bengali_bradman
April 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
I am not sure why we need Tushar Imran suddenly ... He is nothing to give, I guess ... A mere 25 from him is not worth dropping Ashraful, who can fire a fabulous 50 in any match ...

Sovik
April 25, 2006, 06:40 AM
I am not sure why we need Tushar Imran suddenly ... He is nothing to give, I guess ... A mere 25 from him is not worth dropping Ashraful, who can fire a fabulous 50 in any match ...

Ashraful is not firing anything at the moment. he needed rest. anf after this series he will be good as new

pinch_hitter
April 25, 2006, 06:41 AM
we find new excuses everyday for ash's poor run... don't we?? when he didn't get run against kenya, it was weak opposition... now he is not getting runs because he doesn't what type of score we need to win?? Good one.... whats next.... he can't play well unless he is playing in cardiff??

couldn't have said it better.

his excuse for kenya, on top of being weaker opposition, was that their bowling was 'too slow' and he couldn't get his timing right, as he was used to playing 'faster bowlers'.

apparently lee, gillespie, bracken and johnson are not fast enough for him either.

i'm so glad he is axed. the way i see it, anybody replacing him, even if the new man scores less than 10, it'd be like 'he pulled an ashraful'. that way, nobody will feel his absense.

BioMEMS
April 25, 2006, 06:42 AM
I think Rasel got dropped because of his overall performance with the ball and in the field. It's unfair to axe him for his bowling but the way he was fielding is pathetic. He looked very lazy and I am not surprised that he pissed off a few people in the dressing room.

Ashraful has to learn the hard way. Keep him away from the team until he realises how important his wicket is. He can't always play in a selfish manner and throw his wicket away.

BioMEMS
April 25, 2006, 06:47 AM
Shahadat's inclusion is a right decision but I would have preferred to drop Mashrafee instead of Rasel as Mash also needs a rest.

Agree with you there. Mashrafee seems out of form. Hopefully he can impress in the second ODI otherwise Rasel should take his place for the third.

Dhurr
April 25, 2006, 06:49 AM
What I am wondering is are we going to drop Alok if he has one bad performance? Ashraful re to match er por match chance disi, kintu Alok othoba Tushar ke ki amra chance dibo? Naki ekta match a kharap korlei laththi maira bair? We're setting a really bad example here. Ashraful jotoi inconsistent hok, dol-e or jaiga fixed, kintu onno shobai (like Rasel) ek match-e perform na korlei bair.

islam
April 25, 2006, 06:58 AM

Asraful averages <20 in ODI and t. imran reguraly gets 20-25 per game, thats far better than some one who makes 1 100 and next 10 games makex <5.

Bring back omar, sack kapali

omar
nafees
ranjin/kapali (depending on a 3rd or 4th bowling option)
bashar
imran
aftab
mashud
rafiq
montaza
2nd quick
razzak

if kapali makes the 20-25 omar would reguraly make, its a great call. He also has some good spinning deleverilies in his arsenal.

Thunder
April 25, 2006, 07:10 AM
What I am wondering is are we going to drop Alok if he has one bad performance? Ashraful re to match er por match chance disi, kintu Alok othoba Tushar ke ki amra chance dibo? Naki ekta match a kharap korlei laththi maira bair? We're setting a really bad example here. Ashraful jotoi inconsistent hok, dol-e or jaiga fixed, kintu onno shobai (like Rasel) ek match-e perform na korlei bair.

i think its not a good idea to compare Ash with Alok or Tushar.. they don't even come close to Ash in terms of quality. Its better to score a hundred and win a game for the team than scoring 25 or 30 odd runs on average.. :mad:

Sovik
April 25, 2006, 07:28 AM
i think its not a good idea to compare Ash with Alok or Tushar.. they don't even come close to Ash in terms of quality. Its better to score a hundred and win a game for the team than scoring 25 or 30 odd runs on average.. :mad:

its better to have a performer who can score 20-30 runs regularly

Rubu
April 25, 2006, 07:29 AM
Lets put it this way: its a sad step they were forced to take. But for those of you who think alok is a better prospect than ash, please explain me why.

Omio
April 25, 2006, 08:00 AM
not a good decision......

sar2005
April 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
I was wondering if the selectors may want to help him by changing his batting order, unfortunately the don't. Definitely a brave and hopefully a correct decision taken by the selectors. How long you can efford to keep a batsman in the team while he is under performing for a long? Also it's true that he needed a break. Now the most important for his career would be getting some run whenever he returns. I am really afraid what will happen if he continues this bad form even after this break. Let's all together hope and pray that ash returns with a fine form once he get a chance again. We don't want to lose him for sure.

I agree with many of you that Mash also might need a break.

DJ Sahastra
April 25, 2006, 08:15 AM
It is both a bad and a sad decision.

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:17 AM
Its pathetic not having the best (so called?) batsman in the side. But what they could do? If anyone throws his wicket away and does not realizes his importance then he needs a break or to talk straight should be axed. We need consistency than wasted talent. The way Ash got out in last match I thought I was gonna kick in his back. There is a difference in throwing your wicket away and being out by a good ball. Axing should have been done in the first two matches and we could bring him back in the final odi.

Anyway, it will be a bit unusal without Ashraful but what you can do. You have to move on with the time goes on. On the other hand I am feeling really bad for Rasel, he is a nice bowler for onedayers, did pretty bad in the first one but does not mean that he is a bad one!A Bad day might come for anyone so he did have that. He deserved another chance to come back.

Omio
April 25, 2006, 08:19 AM
He should get more chance..
bcos he is tallentedddddddd

Fazal
April 25, 2006, 08:21 AM

Ya its a bad and sad decision. Faruq is a BAD BAD boy... so is DAV.

But sorry folks... I can resist my :) even though the end resulkt will be another :( .

SS
April 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
So many views here, thanks for sharing.
i believe it cud be good for Ash it could be bad too. Because when he plays he plays to impress. so, now this rest might give him more time to think how again he can impress or play better. On the other hand, the way he thinks or plays, I am doubtful that he will take this as insult and will go nutz next time he gets a chance which might make him play more shots!!!
So, now a cool minded experienced "guru" type person should speak with him. Most probably his "Sir"/"Mentor"(i believe wahidul gani or someone who he revered a lot) whom he seems to listen a lot. They should tell him it happens and we are just giving him time and space to get prepared for next series. I know it's important to perform against aussies, but it's also difficult to score centuries against them because aussies are one of the toughest and cleverest team. They should tell him that he is not axed and has ample of time in him for Bangladesh and playing aussies in future. It will just take time, hard work and perseverance. If he can't play in 2006, he will play in 2010. Nobody can be big in one day unless super genious or winning lotto. So, he has time and will see aussie next time with more maturity and his natural aggression.

LateCut
April 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
I also think Mash should have been rested. He looked lathergic and may be slightly hurt. He kept clutching his cuff mussle. I would have kept Russel in and Mash out. Shahadat is a good choice ( and that is also the opinion of Akram). He has displayed some fire. He could, at the minimum, be able to bowl six new ball overs with a minimum cost if can control his line and length.

But I am mostly saddend by the neccessary axing of Ash. It is unfortunate that he has to seat out. The selectors had no choice. But this will give him the opportunity to learn a lesson that is long overdue. Kapali could give a big innings with the bat and provide an option of bowling a few good overs also.

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:33 AM
Exactly LateCut, this might be a good lesson for Ash but I feel sorry for him. I love to watch him making runs in the middle. Most importantly I like his batting style, the way he bats aggresive! But what you can do we will miss him. Does not matter how talented you are if you don't perform then you have to give the place to anyone else who can perform.

I know like me everyone is sad for Ash and it proves how nice it is having him in the first eleven. Its really sad that we might not see him in the final odi as well.

I am a little bit worried about Shahadat's bowling. He is too aggressive for the odi's cos in this form of the game line length is important whereas he is a bit wayward. No doubt Australia will fight fire with fire so not sure whats gonna happen. Considering the career economy rate Rasel should have been picked before Shahadat.

Nilas
April 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
Without Ashraful we could not even win in our dream, can we?

DJ Sahastra
April 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
It is like jeopardising both Kapali and Ashraful.

Kapali cannot be a replacement for Ashraful. Kapali is a bits-n-pieces all-rounder, Ashraful is a specialist batsman. I wonder the selection committee's "genius" in naming Kapali as a replacement for Ashraful!

By dropping Asraful, BD selectors have alsotaken away the psychological impact BD had over Aussie players everytime Ashraful played.

This is all so wrong. And i hope Kapali can handle the burden of expectations of replacing Ashraful.

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:40 AM
Without Ashraful we could not even win in our dream, can we?

Imagine Ashraful passed away....still we need to play cricket, shouldn't we? So lets see what happens without him. Aftab might play a fantastic knock you never know. Aftab is talented as well like Ash. I believe BD will play good cricket tonight.

Daddy_Mac
April 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
Great finally Ashraful is left out...:up:...
He needs to get runs under his belt till he returns...1
Good decisoin I support it......

sadi
April 25, 2006, 08:44 AM
There is no question.... ash is a much much better batsman than alok.... but right now, ash seems like a burden and alok is a better option... guys, get it.... he is rested not dropped.... and its okay to give your best player a game or two rest if thats what he needs.... no need to compare ash with alok or tushar here....

Fazal
April 25, 2006, 08:47 AM
Even though it looks like Kapali (all rounder) is replacing Ashraful(batsman), in reality Tusar will replace Ashraful's slot and Alok will replace Tushar's spot. Tushar will bat at #4 or #5 slot (batting slot) from #6 slot (all rounder slot) and Alok will bat at #6 or #7 slot.

Due to injury Tushar replaced Alok's slot in 1st ODI. In reality Tushar is replacing Ash. Therefore I think its Tushar will be one who will have the added burden to justify his inclusion. Which is fine with me.

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:48 AM
Exactly there shouldn't be any comparison between them. We need to see which is a better option.

Baundule
April 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
Most probably a costly mistake!! We need Ashraful. Pathetic that we were forced to drop him. A good innings from him can win us a match anyday.

Dropping JO was another one. His last test innings pissed me off; but he was building good partnerships regularly in the ODI. They say, dont try to trigger changes, when something is going fine.

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
Ashraful's exclusion is a blow for Bangladesh. We now have lesser chance to win any match against the aussies. It will be a boost for the aussies. Exclusion of Ashraful will make the match lot easier to watch as whenever Ashraful is out to play, I have to pray always to see he is getting runs and is not playing rash shot to get himself out.

Rabz
April 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
i think its a good idea that ash is dropped...there's nothing more frustating than seein ur best "talented" batsmen failin matches after matches after match...

he also needs to realise that spot in the team is not guaranteed..and hell we can win without him...

after all if he is gonna score 10 in the next match...why not give an opportunity to some other players who MIGHT score 11 ??

luv to see him gettin some sense and playin responsibly in the future...

istiak
April 25, 2006, 09:08 AM

Waht's wrong to compare Ash with some body? With an avg of 19 in ODI and 24 in test similar to Lee....

rimjumana
April 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
I have read only few comments on this thread and I have the feeling that we - incl. myself - became too emotional at the moment by reading the news of Ash's exclution. And from my pov this kind feeling - with regard to Ash - is very normal, as he is the person who made us, our nation pride by doing his part extremly well in the past (especially the win against AUS).
But the reality now is that due to some reason - nobody knows what it can be - he does not deliver that result what everybody expect from a batsman of his class and in the modern day cricket as a coach or team management you are bound to look for alternative solution that can put the team on the right track. Such decision can bring a result in either way. But we know that only after the game. So, why should we not try someone else - may be it is Alok, Tushar or anybody else - to try to bring a positive team result.

Shafin
April 25, 2006, 09:34 AM
May God rest Ashrafool for ever.. amen
Vai ki jibone gonodholai bole kono kichur nam shunchen?:eek:

SS
April 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
To be great you need to wait...

Unless you are alexander
or you are tendulkar
otherwise all are mediocre
who shines only when working hard, putting effort more

To be great you need to wait....

I agree there are talented
sometimes they could get haunted
nothing comes your way granted
so Ash..you should realize or else you will most wanted

The time will come , the time will be yours
it's silly now but you will know one day not to play all balls for fours
only it will happen if you can stop thinking of your past grandeurs
gota perform and work hard and then it will put you with pros

All my advice to Ash ..believe in yourself and play sensible
then you will find it that playing a good innings is viable
We expect lot more from you
cuz we believe in you.
Imagine how millions have faith on you
so you should have the same for you

Don't waste the given opportunity and our respect
also not right time for you to look for your mate
concentrate with the bat it's not too late
remember to be successful you just gota wait, just gota wait...

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 10:01 AM

Unless you are alexander
or you are tendulkar
otherwise all are mediocre
who shines only when working hard, putting effort more

I agree there are talented
sometimes they could get haunted
nothing comes your way granted
so Ash..you should realize or else you will most wanted

The time will come , the time will be yours
it's silly now but you will know one day not to play all balls for fours
only it will happen if you can stop thinking of your past grandeurs
gota perform and work hard and then it will put you with pros

All my advice to Ash ..believe in yourself and play sensible
then you will find it that playing a good innings is viable
We expect lot more from you
cuz we believe in you.
Imagine how millions have faith on you
so you should have the same for you

Don't waste the given opportunity and our respect
also not right time for you to look for your mate
concentrate with the bat it's not too late
remember to be successful you just gota wait, just gota wait...
:)
A nice piece of work. Ashraful will be back in form in happy mode if he gets the chance to read this one :lol:

Ejaj
April 25, 2006, 10:16 AM
i dont think, the decision to drop Ash is going to help either BD or Ash. He should have been kept. He is the sort of player who can fire at any time. On the contrary, comparing Kapali with Ash.. too bad. Alok isnt half the player of Ash's calibre. I would have been happy if somenew guy like rahim would have got chance to play.
Well. we will all see. whether this was a good decision or bad.. tomorrow. Persoanlly.. I would have only made one change, Rajib in place of Mashrafee. Mash isnt really fully fit. And. Axing rasel.. dont think, is a good decision. JO..I would die .. if he makes in to the team again!!!!

Ejaj
April 25, 2006, 10:21 AM
Quite agreed with u DJ. Exclusion of Ash.. will be more helpful to Aus than us.

AsifTheManRahman
April 25, 2006, 10:31 AM
my team exactly. i was fully in support of these two changes, and these two changes only. nice...i like, i like.

about ashraful - i do not doubt his abilities. but he clearly looks out of touch and no wonder he is down in confidence. a break will only do him good, whereas including him in the team would have added to his peril.

fishyguy
April 25, 2006, 10:37 AM
A very sensible and rational decision by the selectors. This is exactly the team I wouldve chosen.

The reasons for dropping Ashraful are quite obvious.

You either get it or you dont.

nayef
April 25, 2006, 10:42 AM
damn we get to miss the circus show (cheeky romantic shots) :P

good move.. hopefully this does him good for future.

al Furqaan
April 25, 2006, 10:43 AM
It is like jeopardising both Kapali and Ashraful.

Kapali cannot be a replacement for Ashraful. Kapali is a bits-n-pieces all-rounder, Ashraful is a specialist batsman. I wonder the selection committee's "genius" in naming Kapali as a replacement for Ashraful!

By dropping Asraful, BD selectors have alsotaken away the psychological impact BD had over Aussie players everytime Ashraful played.

This is all so wrong. And i hope Kapali can handle the burden of expectations of replacing Ashraful.

kapali can be a great batsman on his day. besides, by axing ash (a neccessary evil, however i want him in 3rd ODI...is our biggest match winner) the selectors were not aiming to 'replace him.'

is kapali ashraful's calibre? of course not. but who on our team is? indeed you won't find [m]any 22 year olds in the world with ashraful's talent and skills.

but kapali will prolly shine. he has shown consistent performances. nothing amazing, but solid stuff nonetheless.

as one of the biggest ash fans, i am saddened by his ommission, yet it was needed.

i am hopeful he will bounce back like a true tiger.

he should be back for the 3rd ODI, even if it results in a golden duck.

KaaL-PurusH
April 25, 2006, 10:43 AM
lollll...guys...did u watch dat CricInfo made a silly mistake...they wrote abt Ashraf00l n they used Aftab's pics...really funny...

reyme
April 25, 2006, 10:55 AM
This drop may revive his form. I think if he had 2 more single digits in the next 2 matches, which is very likely, he will lose all justification for his inclusion in the team. it will shatter his confidence. he might get dropped for really long time and in the meantime someone else like Mushfiq Rahim might take over his place which may make his comeback even more difficult.

The person who makes the same mistakes over and over, does not play according to the situation, throw his wicket away recklessly, creates extra burden and huge pressure on others, does not deserve to be in ANY team.

Soon Bangladesh will prove that they can play better and even win without ashraful. Many think we cant live without him--hopefuuly someone else will take his place and make us think again. When that happens no one will even think about him. The sooner this guy realizes this fact the better for his career.

cricket_pagol
April 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
I think dropping ashraful temporarily is a good decision. I think there needs to be some sort of equalit among the team members. If Rajin Saleh can be dropped for a series of poor performance, if Aftab can be dropped for a series of poor performance, then why not Ashraful. Nobody is above the team. Ashraful should not take his position in the team as granted... he has to earn it by being consistent.

Personally i don't want a long break for Ashraful, he should come back in the second game and most definitely in the next series.

ransr5
April 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
i saw thushar imrans batting, even though he helped team to play couple more extra overs, but i think he doesnt know how to bat, he was turning his batting without knowing where the ball is.
i think dropping ashraful and keeping imran in team for second odi. its absurd.

that guy doesnt know how to bat. where even ashraful gets out soon but this guy knows how to hit, he has the gut to come front and defend. it just matter of time when he scores another century.:E

6alltheway
April 25, 2006, 11:23 AM

what has he done in his last 5 batting innigs?

nothing, thats the answer, im glad he was dropped. he needs to regain his form back if he wants to get into the team.

Go Alok kapali

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 11:24 AM
Now a days people (selectors) say Ash has been given a rest but after some years the way of saying will be changed definately. Then ,when Ash will be a young man of 25 years the selectors will say you are droped, show us good performence and come back again otherwise your place is for someone else. Hope he learns something from this lesson and it should be agonising for him watching the team playing but he cant play any role. He must be talking to himself "shame! What I am doing here instead of playing cricket? can you remmeber Cardiff, huh? Shame"

We believe that Ash will gain some maturity as a cricketer and as a person by the time he is 25. Until then -

তোমাকে দেখে হৃদয় হয়
এফোঁড় ওফোঁড়
তবু ও তোমার ব্যাট এ
উঠেনা সেই সুমধুর সুর।

6alltheway
April 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
I think Rasel got dropped because of his overall performance with the ball and in the field. It's unfair to axe him for his bowling but the way he was fielding is pathetic. He looked very lazy and I am not surprised that he pissed off a few people in the dressing room.

Ashraful has to learn the hard way. Keep him away from the team until he realises how important his wicket is. He can't always play in a selfish manner and throw his wicket away.

Exactly, Both deserve to be dropped and i reckon a few more deserve too.

BD should have zero tolerance for consistant bad performances.

6alltheway
April 25, 2006, 11:30 AM

How? can you explain

I dont get how anyone could defend ash on this occasion. What has he done to be defeneded?

As far as i am concerened he is not our best batsmen coz you are only good as your last performance. And ash's last performance was terrible.

real123
April 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
Selectors must have read BC postings!! I think they made the right changes. Ash will have some time to freshen up. Tushar Imran replaced him (not Alok Kapali). Kapali will play as an alrounder (#6 or #7) position. Do not woryy Ash-fans, I am sure he will be back soon- just a matter of time.
Kapali improved a lot, so I am sure he will contribute in this ODI. I liked Tushar's perfromance in the first match- becasue of him we had some 1's and 2's.

For Rasel, I do not think he was dropped beacause of his poor bowling, it was his laziness and lack of efforts in the first ODI.

thasan
April 25, 2006, 11:54 AM

yes, but that ANY MATCH seems to have lost.
ash has got enough chance and he has not hesitated to throw them away ...
he needs another punishment aka "rest"...:D

gravitY
April 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
Vai ki jibone gonodholai bole kono kichur nam shunchen?:eek:

na shunle oita BonBon re hat e kolom e shorir e dekhaya dite hobe...

Yes, it's a sad decision but what else could be done?? I really hope Ash comes back with all his power and style.

good luck to Ash.

Fazal
April 25, 2006, 12:27 PM
There are two other threads discussing the same thing. If you are not satisfied with the discussion in this thread (so far) and need more to discuss, please visit the following two threads. That will keep you busy:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...d=1#post302978
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=16197

sadi
April 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
Fazal bhai... khub moja passen na? Sobaike akbar ei thread arekbar onno thread e pataschen? lol....

LateCut
April 25, 2006, 12:46 PM
he is rested not dropped.... and its okay to give your best player a game or two rest if thats what he needs.... no need to compare ash with alok or tushar here....

Do you really believe this hogwash? Read what DW had to say in CI article.

sunny747
April 25, 2006, 01:21 PM
axing Ash is the best decision our selectors has taken in years..he flopped with sl tour,kenya tour and aussie tour as well. How much chance a player should be given? and i was lucky enough to see the 1st ODI. Russel was axed just coz of poor fielding, not bowling i guess. We could have won the match if Russel had caught that lolly-pop catch of Gilchist. At the end, he missed run out of Hussey..it was soo damn easy just pick up and hand the ball to the fielder. If we could have run out Hussey that moment, we may had a slight chance to win.......u don't play good u are out of the team.....that should be the law now......

And i have noticed, most of the BC members comments are based on this forum ,cricinfo commentory and some newspaper. Trust me, watching game live on TV is totally different. Those of you who think Basher made yet another 50 and he is cool, if u had seen his shots selection all were so risky. Lucky shots. Anyway, still he gets 50!

SS
April 25, 2006, 01:25 PM
what if Ash had win the game for us...
he could have scored century like cardiff...
what if...
can selectors revert the decision because Ash got shots
what if...

sadi
April 25, 2006, 01:48 PM
Do you really believe this hogwash? Read what DW had to say in CI article.

Do you really think he is dropped? He needed a break to sort out his game.... he will be back in the next series for sure...

Fazal
April 25, 2006, 01:48 PM
Question) What is the common thread/similarity amoung all of these words: could, should, might, would,if,but?

Answer) Thak ar bollam ne. Kata Ghayee ar nooner chita dewa thik hobe na.

Shakalaka
April 25, 2006, 01:53 PM
Excellent decision.

its about time that Bangladesh cricket states that, we are being progressive in our selection about the right deserving players. ASH is just not in form right now, play with his confidence now will only make it worse. Give him break, and he will come around with more maturity. And give others pat on the back who are working hard to get a spot.

ammark
April 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
Good decision. At least selectors finally took a positive and reassuring stance instead of not confirming what to do with him.

On his day Ashraful made his centuries, and made us see things beyond our dreams. Then he let us down too often. Thats the reality. Go to every domestic league in the world, and you'll see talented batsmen. However, not all of them perform consistently, and Ashraful is just like them. Just that we let our emotions keep him hanging around in the team!

However dropping Ashraful for one or two games is a temporary solution. Seeing how he plays, he desperately needs to grow, mature and become more responsible as a batsman. He should relegate himself to playing league cricket and A team sides, and even take on captaincy of those, then prove himself.

Please spare me the crap about how he's our most talented batsman - it amounts to NOTHING! How can we expect him to prove his place in our national team when the focus has been on his games at this HIGHEST level ALL the time? Tushar, Aftab, Nafees Iqbal, JO, Kapali all had to fight for place in the team recently, Ashraful didnt! And Ash has not even been looked at in those lower leagues where the others got the chance to perform flawlessly with the lesser pressure!

Mon
April 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
I think the selector have made a terrific decision here by dropping both Ashraful and Rasel.
Ashraful has become a burden for the team. I don't think we need a player like him at the heart of our middle order. Tushar(though i am not sure about his long term contribution) is a much better choice for now because he can atlease score 15-25 runs. He also does not possess the Blaze of glory like mentality of Mohammad Ashraful.
Rasel is a good bowler but due to pitch condition Shahadat is a better choice. it will also be a good idea to consider Taposh.

FaridpurChicago
April 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
Forget about Tapash. Those days are long gone. He's our 4th quick, behind top 3.
Players selection should be based on performance. Even Rafiq should be dropped if he doesn't perform. Someone might get out cheap in a match or two. Ashraful like consistent single digit batting legend has no place in the field. Both the changes are 100% right. That catch or run out by Rasel could win us the game. A tushar like 25 by Ashraful could win us a game as well. Now a days, Ash is not a match winner, rather match loser. <I don't care GONODHOLAI !>.
We don't need once in a century maker match winner. We need people who can average 30+ in ODI and win the match every now and then. Our expectation has been changed.
Moreover keeping Ash after so many single digit and dropping others with 1/2 bad performance might affect team consistency as it shows double standard. Everyone should learn to play under pressure, I mean a pressure to win as well as keeping his place in the team.

sadi
April 25, 2006, 02:56 PM
well said...

Beamer
April 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
Well..I guess Ash dug his own hole this time. A few bad decisions in the test series, along with a few reckless dismissals, made him play out of his element in the Ist ODI ( 23 ball 5--thats Golla territory ) . Dissapointed is the word that I would use to describe the situation. Part of me wants him to play and play out of his slump. He is such an X-factor that part of me wants to see him play every game. Hopefully, we will win the second game and he will come back in the decider.

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
Whatever happens in the second ODI, I want to see Ashraful waiting a bit longer to regain his place in the national squad. He should also be rested for Zim tour. This will help him to regain his focus and he will be more responsible in his batting style. Selectors should bring him back in the Champions Trophy, we can expect to see a much more better batsman in Ashraful by that time.

BD_Ashraful
April 25, 2006, 04:27 PM
Axing Ashraful was the worst thing
B'Desh worst descion ever .
He loves playing under pressure

Shakalaka
April 25, 2006, 04:36 PM
We are going to a ZIM tour? thats news to me. can anyone confirm. I thought next time we will see them play is in the championship trophy. Asia cup is also uncertain becos India doesnt want to particiapte.

What eles is there before the december NZ tour?

Shakalaka
April 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
Axing Ashraful was the worst thing
B'Desh worst descion ever .
He loves playing under pressure

His team has lost 2 quick wickets and scorecard said 39 for 2. HE could have shined in this moment with his so called "Under pressure" performance. he decide to flick one high shot close to Eifel tower and got out.

I dont know what more you need to know about "under pressure" performance!!!

SS
April 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
We are going to a ZIM tour? thats news to me. can anyone confirm. I thought next time we will see them play is in the championship trophy. Asia cup is also uncertain becos India doesnt want to particiapte.

yeap no tour even India won't come not sure about NZ tour...we are in deep sea of uncertainity. Nobody wants to play us. so it could be one year of no international test cricket. maybe few ODI's with Zimb if they want to play

layperson
April 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
terrible decision.... bcoz even if tushar imran nd alo kapali r successful they r not capable of winning a match on their own.... on the other hand ashraful has the capabilities to win a match on his own..... so its a bad decision ......very disappointed with this....i was hopeful of the team winning the second one dayer but now i m not tht hopeful... one good thing to come out of this is i wont be spending time watching the match tonight .... i can study for my exam tomorrow....very disappointed with thi decision...

FaridpurChicago
April 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
terrible decision.... bcoz even if tushar imran nd alo kapali r successful they r not capable of winning a match on their own.... on the other hand ashraful has the capabilities to win a match on his own..... so its a bad decision ......very disappointed with this....i was hopeful of the team winning the second one dayer but now i m not tht hopeful... one good thing to come out of this is i wont be spending time watching the match tonight .... i can study for my exam tomorrow....very disappointed with thi decision...

So you went to get preparation for your exam after Ashraful was out, I mean after the 1st hour of play. If your watching BD cricket is related to Ashraful then I believe you didn't watch Bangladeshi cricket a lot. My request to you "PLs watch this match tonight". We don't have any "JHORE BOK" century maker but we have couple of 30,40,50 scorer in the team who won the match against Kenya and can take the match close against any team. They'll will win strongly, not a "JHORE BOK MORE" win.

Miraz
April 25, 2006, 05:31 PM

We are going to Zimbabwe in July to play a 5 match series, we may also visit Kenya prior to that to play a 3 match series.

Source : News Conference by Mahbub Anam after Kenya tour.

CricFanBD
April 25, 2006, 05:43 PM
Ashraful Out.....in my opinion....it is too much for him.....actulally in the test series, he was always victim of bad Umpiring.....first oneday he was wrong......but i think he can easily play on today's match.....and see what happens....then take this major decision......If I were in BD....I just only want to go to Stadium for watching only his batting.....nothing else......

detroitpagla
April 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
JOYYYYYYYYY bangla finally Ashrafool is dropped. i thought he was set for another 2 years due to his test century against SL last series

ammark
April 25, 2006, 06:47 PM
Ashraful Out.....in my opinion....it is too much for him.....actulally in the test series, he was always victim of bad Umpiring.....first oneday he was wrong......but i think he can easily play on today's match.....and see what happens....then take this major decision......If I were in BD....I just only want to go to Stadium for watching only his batting.....nothing else......

What short memories we have! Please kindly go back to the match threads and count the number of idiotic shots he played before getting out in most of those innings!

DotBall
April 25, 2006, 07:12 PM
A great player making 37 from last 4 ODI and 106 from last 7 TEST innings would qualify for a slum in form. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4941796.stm)
It is probably better for Ash to be dropped and given the chance to reflect on his performance and most importantly understanding his role in the team and coming in terms with his fame and tremendous expectation from fans and all.

No individual player can be above the team itself, be it Ashraful or Akkas Ali.

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 07:49 PM

I understand your frustration but this is the plain truth. He recieved some bad decisions in the SriLanka series but was equally failed against the aussies as well. So you cant show any excuse here.

As soon as he played a stupid shot in last match everyone was roaring at him and I just wanted to kick him. We like him true but he has to perform to remain in the team.

PoorFan
April 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
Huge reaction on Ashraful exclusion!

I didn't read all of your post yet, but here is my simple reaction.

Positive :
The message is clear from selectors that NO one beyond the team, you must have to perform when given chance.

Negative :
Why it has to be in the middle of a series against Australia! cant even imagine a 100 runs of partnership from rest of BD players, let alone a win against Australia! There is always a hope while Ashraful in the team, now it's simply gone.

It was a tough decision but I feel it's wrong for this series, perhaps selectors are thinking of bringing him in last ODI? What benefit we and Ash can have by not playing couple of match? if there is no A match or other series around there any time soon?