PDA

View Full Version : BD Pacers are almost ordinary against Left-arm batsmen

Ahmed_B
April 26, 2006, 06:33 AM
This is a great advantage that Australians are having at the moment against BD bowling. For the last two series against Sri Lanka & Australia... I have been feeling that the main 3 Bangladeshi opening bowlers, Mashrafee, Rasel & Shahadat are actually not yet dangerous for Left-handers (batsmen). They are quite effective for right-handers and most of their deliveries leave the right-hander scaring them a lot.. but when it comes to lefties.. they simply run out of variations and swings.

SL & AUS teams had a number of lefties in their top order which proved to be a great advantage against BD. I believe because our pacers have not been that effective, most of the games went away from BD's hand while they were fielding. BD had to rely too much on spinners which sometimes backfires. Like it did in today's game.. where the spinners failed to restrict AUS after 68/3.

What disappoints me very much is that even our most powerful Mashrafee also bowls too many deliveries on the leg side when a left-hander is batting. They need to cope with the tricks pretty soon.

sadi
April 26, 2006, 08:13 AM
Well they were quite ordinary today... gillchrist's out was a controversial one... I guess the reason behind that is they don't get to bowl lefties that often in the nets....

IanW
April 26, 2006, 08:13 PM
A lot of it comes down to experience.

Masrafee has it ... but it is a very unusual bowler who does not go through peaks and troughs of form.

Shahadat and Rassel need more first-class experience - me, if I was with the BCB, I'd be on the phone to every team in the Red Stripe Cup, every minor county, every New Zealand province asking if they'd like either a young quick, or a young fastish medium who can swing it both ways.

And if you can't get a nibble at First Class level, then get on the phone to every damn club in the Melbourne and Sydney comps.

Ian Whitchurch

jabbar
April 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
A lot of it comes down to experience.

Masrafee has it ... but it is a very unusual bowler who does not go through peaks and troughs of form.

Shahadat and Rassel need more first-class experience - me, if I was with the BCB, I'd be on the phone to every team in the Red Stripe Cup, every minor county, every New Zealand province asking if they'd like either a young quick, or a young fastish medium who can swing it both ways.

And if you can't get a nibble at First Class level, then get on the phone to every damn club in the Melbourne and Sydney comps.

Ian Whitchurch

Does BD lack lefty batsman? Do you really need to go to some dinky club in NZ to get that sort of experience?

Not that getting that sort of experience is bad... I think that the Aussie and English domestic comps would suit promising bowlers like Shahadat and Mash. Forget the club comps - if anything they'll learn some bad habits in lower grade comps liek that.

I think this is a good idea, and with BD's long Test break, perhaps sending bowlers like Shahadat, Mash and even Rasel for short stints in other *high quality* comps would help them.

IanW
April 26, 2006, 08:34 PM
Jabbar,

Forget pride. It's a luxury the Tigers cannot afford.

Again, you are dealing with young and inexperienced cricketers here.

A season playing Grade cricket in Sydney or Melbourne would do a world of good for most of the Bangladesh team.

And dont forget that good perfomances in Grade cricket is what gets you into Shield cricket playing for NSW or the Vics.

Ian Whitchurch

IanW
April 26, 2006, 08:43 PM
Found it. Plug 'aravinda de silva melbourne club cricket' and the article comes up. I couldnt get the link to work, but the cache does.

It's a 2002 article from a Sri Lanka paper.

"It was in 1985 when the late Mr. Gamini Dissanayake was the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka that the Sri Lanka Cricket Foundation of Victoria was formed and with the encouragement given by the late Minister Gamini Dissanayake that the association in Victoria was able to get going even though Sri Lanka had not achieved Test status.
Mr. Fred Van Buren, a Sri Lankan and then a Labour Minister of the Victorian State Parliament and Dr. Quintus de Zylva - the official representative of the Sri Lanka Cricket Board in Australia were able to convince the Victorian authorities of the progress being made by the Sri Lankans and a grant of $12,000 was allocated to set up a fund to assist Sri Lankan cricketers to improve their game. Aravinda de Silva - the most experienced Sri Lankan batsman who has now made a re-entry into the side, is one of the first beneficiaries of the Sri Lanka Cricket Foundation of Victoria, then subsequently in consultation with the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lankan, the Victorian Association has been sponsoring quite a few young cricketers from Sri Lanka. These sponsorships have been highly successful and fruitful. Besides Aravinda de Silva, two more Roshan Mahanama and Ruwan Kalpage made the grade and played for Sri Lanka and are now on the coaching scene. Two others that come to mind - Dileepa Wickremasinghe and Nilantha Ratnayake also benefitted. In fact, there are around 12 to 15 cricketers who have benefitted from the Victorian sponsorship program."

Imtiazk
April 27, 2006, 01:50 PM
Good research, Ian. Why don't you ring a few numbers in Austarlia and I will do so here in England. Sydney Grade cricket is very high standard. Am I right that despite being one innings' match, it is actually played over two days. Then you get the "feel" of a longer version game. Lancashire and Durham leagues would be the equivalent in England but they are one day leagues - hence the problem with English cricket over many years.

Most of the habits of Bangladesh batsmen come from growing up playing one day matches where scoring off a good=length ball becomes necessary, particularly during the middle phase.Whereas, the essence of batting in the longer version is "waiting for the bad ball", whenever that comes.

Our bowlers could learn to pace themselves to bowl throughout the innings. It is sometimes difficult to discuss contentious matters in this board, as people get too emotional. But, if you take Mashrafe as an example. Great talent - but why so injury-prone at his age ? It comes down to body / leg strengthening exercises. I remember Dominic Cork was not taken on an Australian tour because Illingworth [ Selector ] said his legs were not strong enough. He was selected originally but on the condition of proving himself before the tour started.

Today's fast bowlers play into their late thirties [ McGrath, Walsh ]. They can do so only because of the work they do off the field.

IanW
April 27, 2006, 06:37 PM
I don't want to make calls until I have an indication about who might be available.

So if anyone has a line into the BCB, then you know where to find me ;)

Ian

Hatebreed
April 27, 2006, 08:02 PM
Our pacers need to push lefties for room, especially top-class batsmen like Gilchrist, Jayasuria, Lara and so on.

Ahmed_B
April 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
Exactly!
Bowling of our pacers havn't been tight. And becaus most of our bowlers do not get reverse swings much... their swing will not trouble the lefties. So because they are not tight with their bowling-lines to the lefties.. they get thrashed very often.