PDA

View Full Version : Is Bashar fit to be in the team ?

Imtiazk
April 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
Let me clarify at the outset that the word "fit" should be read literally. He is Bangladesh's best batsman by a mile . However, there must be a minimum level of fitness that a player must achieve before he can play international sport. Just because he is a good batsman should not be enough in today's professional game. Otherwise Gavaskar could still play ! I bet he would still score a lot of runs !

Bashar is simply unfit. His fielding is appaling. They always take a run even if the ball goes straight to him. The concept of the "single saving" field position becomes meaningless when he is the fielder. He might as well drop back and save a four.

I am not sure if he does any gym work. I bet given our culture , the "seniority" card is pulled which absolves him [ and possibly also Mashud to some extent ] from undertaking any rigorous physical exercise.

Even though I felt our slimmest of chances of winning disappeared after being 8/3, the reason we ultimately never even competed was our [ Bashar's ] complete inability to put any pressure on the Australian fielders. Running the first run hard is something of a luxury for him. He does not even bother.

If we were 20 runs up at the end of the 40th over, then the two partnerships could have been meaningful. Otherwise, having to score over 100 in the last 10 overs was simply not fair on the latecomers.

Alok, Mashrafe etc. cannot be blamed at all for today's batting.

sunny747
April 26, 2006, 01:52 PM
You really have guts opening this thread after he scored 70 runs againts the best team in the world. I agree he is an aweful fielder but where is his replacement?This was his 3rd 50 in a row doesn't matter how he scored it.But he scored it.

sadi
April 26, 2006, 02:12 PM
lol.... we could've done a lot of things differently to win this game.... the solution is not in dropping bashar... who would you drop next?? If I had a chance, I would've dropped most of them.... we have to go on with whatever we have and bashar is the best batsman we have right now...

Ahmed_B
April 26, 2006, 02:54 PM
these are Bashar's last few batting innings scores during SL+KEN+AUS test and ODI series:
70, 52, 49, 9, 7, 76, 64, 73, 69, 12, 29, 30, 33, 2

Fitness and age of this sort of a performer still matters to you? No other constructive topic to open in this forum ?

I'm surprised!

Mohiul
April 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
Frankly. I do not believe Bashar is 33. He is probably 37/38. An ex Bangladesh player once told me that in 1984 Bashar was spotted in Dhaka as a rising rookie from Kushtia. If he is 33 today, he was then 11 ?

Bhaishaheb, ai jinishta banglay bolle amader manhanita bachate parten karon onek bideshi shodoshsho ekhane ashe

Miraz
April 26, 2006, 04:24 PM
If a player of age 55 performs in the same way with bat as Bashar is doing, I would take him in my team. In fact he is the only performer of Bangladesh. Others are taleneted and capable but not performer.

Don't be silly in opening threads. He should play in BD team as long as he wishes & his age is none of our concern. If he tells he is 33, you should simply beleive that. Otherwise please ignore.

prasad
April 26, 2006, 04:30 PM
who cares for fitness in cricket for a batsman in particular......come on ....inzy is playing for pak.

bop
April 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
I was never a Basher fan, but his statistics speaks itself. He is no world class batsman but he is the best in current BD team. Unless we have some one better then Basher I am all for keeping him as Captain.

But Basher has some weakness which would be nice if he can over come.

<O:pBatting: He does good most of the time, at least his statistics says that, but time and time again I see basher never change his style. Either he is playing test or ODI he plays the same. Either he comes to bat when it is 3/40 or 3/170 he plays same way. He just don’t have the ability to play according to the condition( I didn’t watch y/day’s game , so I can’t tell what he did y/day) . If you look at Inzi, he is known for his ruthless batting but time and time again Inzi proved that he can change his style depend on the condition. Any great batsman must have the ability to play according to the condition. Basher doesn’t have that.
<O:p
Fielding: He hardly inspire others. He just have no fire in him. I feel Rafiq and Murtoja are more passionate on the field then Basher.

<O:pHonestly speaking , if Mortoja can stay in the team for another 3-4 years, I would like to see him leading Bd team.

ammark
April 26, 2006, 05:34 PM
This is a pathetic thread. I'm appalled people are even commenting!

Fine, then. I'll join the bandwagon too: Fine drop bashar because he's a poor fielder. Even though he's consistently getting good runs onto his bat. If you suggest that 12th man come to field in his place during the match, then I suppose we could let the 12th man set the field, bring on the bowlers and lead the captaincy too? Especially when Bashar's field management is improving (slow or quickly, doesnt matter. Better than the frustrations he caused us in the recent past). Oh but we have Pilot as VC. Fine, then why not give Pilot captaincy and see how it works again? :-p

Mon
April 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
Khaisay.I smell marijuana here.
;)

Bancan
April 26, 2006, 05:55 PM
his fitness. ok. inzi isnt fit he is still playin and one of the gr8est batmen in the world now. so man dont bring in fitnese here.

Zaheed Mahmood
April 26, 2006, 07:48 PM
How more ridiculous can it be!! Not only Bashar’s career statistics speaks for itself and brands him the best consistent and delivering batsman of Bangladesh, the international cricket media (CrinInfo, etc.) also recognize him as a batsman of international standard!! Speaking of sloppy fielding and running between wickets, he would never even come close to the atrocious standard of Inzi (So Inzi should be out too??). And regarding Sunny, he is one of the greatest cricket legends of all time, but he doesn’t have the age or form at present to score a likely 50 against the likes of Brett Lee, Gillespie bowling!!
Zaheed

cricketboy
April 26, 2006, 07:52 PM
Nearly every Bangladeshi true age is more than their official age no matter whether they are engineers or labors. :p SO, Bashar's age is not a problem. And if he is scoring runs that way I would simply overlook his lack of fielding skills. Man, we have better topics than this to talk about now. :flag:

AsifTheManRahman
April 26, 2006, 07:55 PM
some people would have problems with almost anything, wouldn't they? simply disgusting.

jabbar
April 26, 2006, 08:13 PM
Fitness has nothing to do with batting prowess. The only criticism of Bashar with respect to his fitness is his fielding ability. If you want to criticise Bashar, then criticise his fielding - don't pick on him for his batting which is by far the best in the BD team.

Kamini
April 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
BD's situation a little different than other test palying nations.

Bashar might not find a place in any other side because they have enough potentials and replacements.

In BD team Bashar fits in perfectly...

BD needs to groom Ashraful and Aftaab well instead of dropping them.

Here again, their situation is a little different than Sehwag's ,for example.:love:

Cricket46
April 26, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well said, I wonder what is the run of scores for the next best one in Bangladesh team. Hello,this is Australia we are playing against, and look at Bashar's string of scores. Not only does Imtiazk have an issue with his fitness, but also with his age.

these are Bashar's last few batting innings scores during SL+KEN+AUS test and ODI series:
70, 52, 49, 9, 7, 76, 64, 73, 69, 12, 29, 30, 33, 2

Fitness and age of this sort of a performer still matters to you? No other constructive topic to open in this forum ?

I'm surprised!

Frost
April 26, 2006, 10:45 PM
Bashar may not be fit and his ability to lead as a captain may be questionable. But I don't think anybody should question his place in the team. For god's sake he is the only consistent batsman in the team. None of our so called fit players can peform so consistently. I'll be happy if you can find someone who is fit and performs that consistently (or at least as close to him). Only then we can think about dropping him. Otherwise keep him in the team - at most you can take his captaincy.

kaisermatin
April 26, 2006, 10:55 PM
ihave a feeling that the selectors are reading the threads and get influenced by it. look what happened to Ash! i think bashar may be rested for the 3rd odi for his aging problem...

Imtiazk
April 27, 2006, 12:25 PM
I think my first sentence was not enough to explain my point. I was never questioning his right to be in the team. Would I be mad to leave out the only batsman with a test average in the mid-thirties !

I repeat the pun - "fit" here did not mean as in "good enough" but as in "physically fit".

So, to be absolutely sure everyoone understands -

Is he fit enough to be in the team ? does not mean "Is he good enough to be in the team but means

Is he physically fit to be in the team ?

shaoun
April 27, 2006, 12:51 PM
i cant believe someone actually opened this thread. lol. the answer is yes bashar is fit to be in the team.

Zunaid
April 27, 2006, 01:14 PM
I think my first sentence was not enough to explain my point. I was never questioning his right to be in the team. Would I be mad to leave out the only batsman with a test average in the mid-thirties !

I repeat the pun - "fit" here did not mean as in "good enough" but as in "physically fit".

So, to be absolutely sure everyoone understands -

Is he fit enough to be in the team ? does not mean "Is he good enough to be in the team but means

Is he physically fit to be in the team ?

Semantic quibbling.

The effect (regardless of the cause) is the determination of whether one Habibul Bashar should be in the Bangladesh national cricket team.

If he is good enough to be in the team, even if he is not fit, what does it matter. Were he fitter then he would be an even greater asset. Note: I am not making any value judgements as to whether he is fit or not fit.

Why not try a more rational exercise (pun absolutely intended).

For every match Bashar has played, calculate the following:

- Runs yielded to the opposition team due to bad field placement
- Runs yielded to the opposition team due to his "lethargic" running and fielding

Make sure you do not add to the above runs that would not have mattered no matter what the field placement or his fielding was like.

Then subtract this total from his cumulative run total and recompute his average.

Then we will talk.

DJ Sahastra
April 27, 2006, 01:22 PM
"70, 52, 49, 9, 7, 76, 64, 73, 69, 12"

That is some score!

Looks like an average in 50s for the last 10 innings!!!

He is surely in the form of his life!

Fazal
April 27, 2006, 01:45 PM
Now that the question about bashar's fitness (and inclusion in the team) question have been successfully disputed, the next question is:

Are we (mentally) fit to create a new thread?

ammark
April 27, 2006, 02:48 PM
Are we (mentally) fit to create a new thread?

We're mentally unfit to continue with existing threads. So by that logic yes, we are mentally fit to open new threads. :D When it really ought to be the other way round! Look at the Plethora of multiple threads out there.

I just thought up a bad analogy with our team's batting: None of them can sustain their own innings for long, so they just get out and let the next person come in and start their own innings. And more often than not the style of play is the same! :p

syedmahm
April 27, 2006, 02:52 PM

Frankly. I do not believe Bashar is 33. He is probably 37/38. An ex Bangladesh player once told me that in 1984 Bashar was spotted in Dhaka as a rising rookie from Kushtia. If he is 33 today, he was then 11 ?

Dude, if you are so worried about the age, better find a team of 5/6 years of kids. then you will be satisfied, I believe. what a topic you raised for discussion!!!!!!

sar2005
April 27, 2006, 02:58 PM
David Boon, M. Huges, Graham Gooch, Mike Getting, Inzi..........all sucks!!!!!
How they made their name in superstars? Were they fit enough to play cricket???:E

Ma'n, come down to the earth. You are questioning about the only run machine we have. So, what is the bottom-line?? You want to throw him in dustbine for performing continiously???:mad:

I wish (and pray) that Bashar should never see such crazy comments. Nothing could be much painful than seeing it after giving so much to a nation.

Bancan
April 27, 2006, 03:25 PM
okay let me get this straight. he is good enough to be in the team. but he is not fit enough to be in the team!

Beamer
April 27, 2006, 03:34 PM
Lets put it this way. He is definitely not fit to play at no.5. He is not the best of runners ( necessary for middle overs ) and can't really accelerate towards the end. With a spread field and spinners operating, you need a solid stealthy player who steals singles and coverts singles into twos. He is clearly not that. I fault the management for not understanding this. He can best serve us playing at no.4. Not no.3, nor no.5 or no.6. His fielding is below par and that is nothing new.

Fazal
April 27, 2006, 03:34 PM
okay let me get this straight. he is good enough to be in the team. but he is not fit enough to be in the team!

It all depends what "is" is. The first 'is' may not be the same as the 2nd 'is' just becuase they both spells the same way. Also one person's 'is' may not mean the same as another person's 'is'. Also a 'is' said in the morning may not mean the same thing that is siad in the evening.

Zunaid
April 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
Aaah reminds of this in my toddler years: If jodi is hoe but kintu what mane ki?

Beamer
April 27, 2006, 03:38 PM
I would like to see Aftab at 3, Bashar at 4 ( ridiculous to play him at 5 ), Ash at 5, Alok/Rafiq at 6/7 and Pilot down to 8 or even 9 depending on the match. Rajin and Nafees opens.

Bancan
April 27, 2006, 03:43 PM
It all depends what "is" is. The first 'is' may not be the same as the 2nd 'is' just becuase they both spells the same way. Also one person's 'is' may not mean the same as another person's 'is'. Also a 'is' said in the morning may not mean the same thing that is siad in the evening.
:wow:wow :info:but wat i m surprised:-/ and you just made me confused and i think my post is confusing tooo:D

Hatebreed
April 27, 2006, 04:45 PM
Bashar may not be a great fielder or a world-class batsman, but he's the best we have got right now. His batting has improved and even though he's slow, he tries to compensate for the stupidity of our top order. At least he's showing some resilience when we're at the brink of humiliation, why should he alone carry the burden?

SMHasan
April 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
I agree with you imtiazk in some extent but not fully. Is Bashar fit - it is a question. Beacause -

1.In the 2nd one day hen we needed to make the 1s into 2s, 2s into 3s then he did nothing, he just walked slowly. Where batsmen nowadays run the first run quickly and decde for the second run Bashar seemed to be very much happy with the single taken.Commentators were laughing about their running between the wickets.His inability to take singles was really sad.

2. Can you remember his runout in the test series? He was really lazy which proved he doesn't wana work hard or run hard who knows!

3. We needed 100 runs from last 10 overs or so but there was no urgency from them (Mashud and Bashar) but why? They might be tired but if you cant take runs then leave, give other batters some chance. In fact the run rate was mounting from the 35th over when they should have gone after the bowlers. It seemed they were not bothered at all. And what happened when he tried for some big runs? He got himself out. He had no strenght left in him. It was obvious , I could read it.

By getting all those points its easily understandable he has some problems. He is lacking in power but its true he should not be droped. He is a world class player for us, we have no alternative as well.Another thing I wana say about him is he is truly 33 I believe. Because he does not look like 38, never. But he needs to work on his strength, and fitness.

LateCut
April 27, 2006, 09:26 PM
Latest posted ODI batting ranking puts Basher at 76th (lower than Shariar Nafis). He is showing form recently and, consequently, rating will climb. But the leadersgip rating will remain the same (if such thing existed). A leader is a leader only on paper if he/she cannot extract 100% or more form the charges. Unfortunately, we just have no other options at this time. So, he will continue to go through the motions of being the captain for the near future. WI is in the same situation. Lara just got reappointed. Lara is a great player but a below average captain. Basher is an average player (by international standard) and a average captain. In the land of dwarfs he is the only one we got.