PDA

View Full Version : 'Batting collapse is a concern' - Cricinfo

Mr-Cricket
April 27, 2006, 01:51 AM
Bangladesh v Australia, 2nd ODI, Fatullah
Batting collapse is a concern - Ponting (extract)
Cricinfo staff
April 27, 2006

For the second match in running, the top order didn't perform for Bangladesh. "I am upset and worried with the way we lost too many wickets in the early stage," Bashar, the captain, said. "We did it in the first match and repeated in the second. I think this was the reason we lost our way."

Bashar was grilled about the decision to send Khaled Mashud, the wicketkeeper, ahead of Alok Kapali. Mashud made a scratchy 36 off 62 balls. "It could have been better if we had sent Alok early, said Bashar. "But holding Alok back was a management decision as we wanted to keep one batsman late in the order so that someone could bat through, if required. Mashud went in early because we lost quick wickets. We wanted to be flexible in the match. If we didn't lose wickets early, we would have sent Alok ahead."

Bashar admitted that the absence of Aftab Ahmed was felt. "The last minute omission of Aftab definitely affected us. Ashraful [who was axed ahead of the game] might or might not have scored and nobody can control these things in cricket. Batting in the second-half wasn't that easy on this wicket, unlike the situation in Cardiff. Also, losing too many early wickets forced us on the back foot. I think we were struggling to use this wicket to our benefit. Symonds and Clarke batted really well and we failed to take wickets when we needed them."

Source: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/245470.html (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/245470.html)

IanW
April 27, 2006, 02:03 AM
Yeah, but Ponting is also concerned about Bangladesh causing the same thing ... show both sides of the coin thanks :)

Ian Whitchurch

Mr-Cricket
April 27, 2006, 02:12 AM
Personally, I don't think most people on this forum value Pontings opinion (I am not one of these people). Regardless, I only included Bashar's comments because those points were very hotly debated both during, and after yesterdays game. :up:

Shafin
April 27, 2006, 02:30 AM
Sending Rafiq when the spinners was on was a gamble likely to have paid.

PoorFan
April 27, 2006, 03:20 AM
"It could have been better if we had sent Alok early", said Bashar.
<!--StartFragment -->I don't think Alok could have changed the game by coming ahead of Mashud, keeping in mind Alok scored only 10 runs! which also suggest that we could have bundled out even before making 189 runs.

Anyway, the main reason we lost IMO is for several mistake ...

1st : Leave Ashraful out of the team in the middle of a BIG series, I can not agree with selectors on this point.
2nd : Leave Ashraful out of the team AGAIN when Aftab was not available for play.
3rd : Early collapse of Nafees, Rajin and Tushar, and this is the only matter that selectors had nothing to do.

I don't blame Javed, not Mashud, nor Bashar, but SELECTORS for those 1st and 2nd. BUT that 3rd one was the FINAL mistake on the FIELD, for which those players should be blamed. It's not a matter of good ball or bad luck, 3 of top order just cant collapse like that way, since they are playing in top level, and it's happen so often with our team which proves our inability, not good ball or bad luck.

thebest
April 27, 2006, 03:59 AM
Is this a news for Bnagladesh. If dog bites man it is not a news. Similarly batting collapse of Bangladesh should not be the news. The news would be that there is no collapse.

PoorFan
April 27, 2006, 04:18 AM
Is this a news for Bnagladesh. If dog bites man it is not a news. Similarly batting collapse of Bangladesh should not be the news. The news would be that there is no collapse.
Since when you become the member of SS club?

thebest
April 27, 2006, 04:25 AM
Since when you become the member of SS club?
after 8/3 yesterday. Joking aside I am really disgusted with the batting performace in this series bar 1st day of the 1st test

PoorFan
April 27, 2006, 04:34 AM
after 8/3 yesterday. Joking aside I am really disgusted with the batting performace in this series bar 1st day of the 1st test
<!--StartFragment -->Yeah, it's really hurts!

Ahmed_B
April 27, 2006, 07:03 AM
Well.. these sort of reports are probably all-positive for BD. Because there was a time when it would not be a news if BD's batting had collapsed (exactly as u said). But it's obvious that the scenario has started to change when it comes to other people's expectations from BD.

Media has started to express concerns about BD's collapse.... commentators have started to express frustration when BD loses a near-win match... all these are signs that they expect BD to do well now. They expect BD batting to be more solid and they expect BD to win more matches now-a-days.

This is surely a recognition in favor of BD from the rest of the world.

sar2005
April 27, 2006, 07:09 AM
Personally, I don't think most people on this forum value Pontings opinion (I am not one of these people). Regardless, I only included Bashar's comments because those points were very hotly debated both during, and after yesterdays game. :up:

If you think so, you should then change the caption of the thread as well. The key message of the title is that Ponting also concern about their mini collapses in their batting line up which is good to know. We are (being too weaker of a side) giving at leas some tough time to Ponting and co.

I noticed many of our friends took this topic as a discussion of BD collapse (which is probably due to your post which rightly pointed by IW also), while the cricinfo article's caption was actually related to Ponting's concern about their own batting collapse, not BD's.

Mr-Cricket
April 27, 2006, 09:58 AM
If you think so, you should then change the caption of the thread as well. The key message of the title is that Ponting also concern about their mini collapses in their batting line up which is good to know. We are (being too weaker of a side) giving at leas some tough time to Ponting and co.
I wanted this thread to be geared towards our teams batting performance (or lack-thereof), and not focused on Australia's own misfortunes. That will, I'm sure, be debated in Donny's forum (and other Aussie forums), as it rightly should be. But we need to concentrate on areas where we can improve. Why are you making an argument out of this?

I noticed many of our friends took this topic as a discussion of BD collapse (which is probably due to your post which rightly pointed by IW also), while the cricinfo article's caption was actually related to Ponting's concern about their own batting collapse, not BD's.
"The recent one-day batting collapses of both Bangladesh and Australia have left Habibul Bashar and Ricky Ponting concerned and searching for answers."
Again, I'm not sure you are getting the point here, or why you are trying to kick up a fuss over such a trivial issue. I have clearly included the word 'extract' after the headline "Batting collapse is a concern - Ponting", indicating that the article to follow was only an 'extract' of the full article (which I have clearly sourced at the end of the post). This was to allow people, such as yourself, to take the liberty to read the article, in full, in their own time.

The article itself informs us that both captains have expressed their frustrations at his teams misfortunes with the bat. The editors simply chose to credit Ponting with the statement. However, that does not mean that Ponting alone was the sole motivation behind the article. Did you even bother to read the whole article, or just the headline? You may want to read each paragraph in your post and see where you have clearly contradicted yourself (I have underlined it for your convenience). ;)

And 'thebest', I think Ahmed_B has summed it up quite well. :up:

6alltheway
April 27, 2006, 10:01 AM
he is right, batting is our problem.

our bowlers do what any bowlers would do against aussies, you cant blame them but only thing i would say is they should at least be able to contribute 20 or 30 runs.

saying that our top order batsmen cant, what hope is there for our low order batsmen.

250/5 50overs is doable in anycase. Any team in the world would be happy to chase that figure against aussies. i just cant belive we dont have the temprement to do so.

sar2005
April 27, 2006, 10:33 AM
The collapse of BD is well known and everybody is aware of it as there is nothing new. But who whould have expected AUS will struggle this much to chase 195 against BD or will lose 3 wickets within 9 runs in 2nd match?

There is nothing new that we all continiously criticize our team for their bad performance. Did any of us were dreaming such a comment from AUS captain even before the serries started?? The answer is NO. Then why not take the positiveness (though little) for BD from that comments and make the most of it?? Honestly, I am dreaming a win tomorrow just for the comment made by Ponting which means AUS is also vulnerable, no matter they are playing against BD.

Cheers!!

Sauron
April 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
Batting collapse is a concern. Wow! Must be a genious who said this. Aaah, the two captains!

sadi
April 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
<!--StartFragment -->I don't think Alok could have changed the game by coming ahead of Mashud, keeping in mind Alok scored only 10 runs! which also suggest that we could have bundled out even before making 189 runs.

You can't just look at his score and say that... remind you when he came up to bat, it was already too late and he had to throw his bat.... if he had come up the order, he would've got enough time to settle down and then play his shots unlike masud... you never really know.... he might've got out in the first ball or could've done really well

Mr-Cricket
April 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
The collapse of BD is well known and everybody is aware of it as there is nothing new. But who whould have expected AUS will struggle this much to chase 195 against BD or will lose 3 wickets within 9 runs in 2nd match?

There is nothing new that we all continiously criticize our team for their bad performance. Did any of us were dreaming such a comment from AUS captain even before the serries started?? The answer is NO. Then why not take the positiveness (though little) for BD from that comments and make the most of it?? Honestly, I am dreaming a win tomorrow just for the comment made by Ponting which means AUS is also vulnerable, no matter they are playing against BD.

Cheers!!
See, arguments aside, this post is the one you should have initially posted. Theres nothing wrong with arguing "both sides of the coin" (thanks Ian!), but theres also nothing wrong with presenting only one side of the coin and still allowing an open discussion, regardless. Good post mate.

Mr-Cricket
April 27, 2006, 11:20 AM
You can't just look at his score and say that... remind you when he came up to bat, it was already too late and he had to throw his bat.... if he had come up the order, he would've got enough time to settle down and then play his shots unlike masud... you never really know.... he might've got out in the first ball or could've done really well
I couldn't have said it better myself (well actually, I did mention this in another thread earlier). ;)