PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe in West Indies 2006

Miraz
April 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
After current aussie series our next mission will be Zimbabwe. I am keen to watch the progress of the Zimbabwe side after recent development. It seems Zimbabwe are in right direction after a long time. They have started the tour well and defeated Antigua and Barbuda in two successive matches. Their batting really impressed me. In first match chasing a victory target of 180 they have only lost 4 wickets and in second match they have posted massive 304 runs.

Bangladesh will visit Zimbabwe in July. I will be following current Zimbo tour and waiting to see some good cricket against Zimbabwe in July.

ajithlalm
April 28, 2006, 02:21 AM
Any news about the schedule of match in July against Zimbabwe and Kenya ? Whats the latest news ? How many matches ?

battye
April 28, 2006, 03:04 AM
I really hope Zimbabwe win against the West Indies. They have had so many problems for a few years now, it would be nice to see them get a few wins under their belt.

prasad
April 28, 2006, 06:47 AM
this series will us an idea..abt how long bd can go in the champions trophy.with lara in the odi squad and a couple of 90+mph bowlers,bd shud target sl.the chances of bd beating sl is higher.

Sovik
April 28, 2006, 07:48 AM
Bangladeshi cricketers should watch this series. if they have a tour in zimbabwe and they will face west indies in champions trophy

insideedge
April 29, 2006, 02:48 AM
Zimbabwe beating west Indies? I do not think so. West Indies have been losing badly, but to teams ranked above them. I do not think they will have any trouble blanking the current Zimbabwe side.

Sovik
April 29, 2006, 07:37 AM
Does anyone have any link to watch this match live

Spitfire_x86
April 29, 2006, 08:50 AM
I hope Zimbo gets badly thrashed in all 7 ODIs.

ajithlalm
April 29, 2006, 09:03 AM
The pitch look terrible. I doubt Zimbabwe make to 200 in this pitch especially with these uneven bounces.

Hatebreed
April 29, 2006, 09:31 AM
I hope Zimbabwe gets violated by WI.

sar2005
April 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
Zimbabwe: 151/9 (50.0 Ovs)
West Indies: 154/5 (38.2 Ovs)

West Indies won the low scoring 1st match by 5 wickets, but not before ZIM has shown some real fight. WI needed to play till 39th over to reach moderate total of 151 and in the process they lost 5 wickets that include Gyle, Sarwan and Chanderpal. An unbeaten captain's knock by Lara (40) make sure WI in home.

As stated by cricbuzz -
It was a bit of a patience tester for the viewers. After restricting Zimbabwe for 151, one would have expected some fireworks from Gayle and a quick finish to the match with some entertaining strokeplay. But it was not to be, the home team kept losing wickets and the scoring rate was pretty slow. However, as they say, all is well that ends well. A good start for Lara's fresh innings as captain, he will take it in positive stride and will be looking forward to do better.

sar2005
April 29, 2006, 03:47 PM
Have Bangladesh ever played a 7 matches ODI serries?? Not that I know. I wish BD also will be invited to play such long ODI serries against some good opponants. It would be greate if we could 7 matches against WI. I don't know how WI agreed to play such a long ODI serries against ZIM.

pilot fan
April 29, 2006, 04:22 PM
i watched the game and zim looked promising mainly the batsmen chibanhana and taylor and bowlers rainsford higgins and uteysa they could give us a stern test

battye
April 30, 2006, 09:33 AM
2nd ODI: 52/0 (12.5 ov) WI

That is thanks to 3 fours in the over, just a few minutes ago WI were 0/37 after 12.
Zimbabwe bowling has been tight, bar this over.

Any score in excess of 200 - 220 might be a bit much for them to chase down though.

Sovik
April 30, 2006, 10:40 AM
don't know anything about the pitches in west indies. but looks like they are still struggling. and if this struggling continues we may have a fair chance of wiining against them

Carte Blanche
April 30, 2006, 01:46 PM
West Indies 242/9 (50 ov)
Zimbabwe 48/3 (10.5 ov)

Trouble again for the Zimbos. I'm surprised so many people here want to see Zim lose badly. I thought most people would root for the underdogs.

Hatebreed
April 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
Nein! :lol:

sar2005
April 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
If you are interested in audio link of WI vs ZIM match, try below -
http://www.cmatt.com/abs.htm

Ashtheman
April 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
I think Zim are still pretty bad, we have shown real improvement against Australia I think and if we take that on against a far inferior team we should do well.

TheWatcher
April 30, 2006, 11:05 PM
Martin Williamson has provided a nice analysis of Zimbabwe team-

For their part, Zimbabwe have fielded superbly and their bowlers have also kept up the pressure. Ed Rainsford used the new ball well on both days, and the only worry is that he leaves the tour after the fourth ODI to take up a club commitment in England. However, his opening partner, Blessing Mahwire, showed he lacks the control to really trouble good batsmen, bowling too many no-balls and wides.

Utseya, who turned 21 earlier this month, showed he has a real cricketing brain and bowled with clever variations in speed and flight. It remains to be seen what happens when a batsman gets after him - Sarwan briefly did today - but he looks to have promise.

Zimbabwe's real weakness is in their batting. That is understandable, as they have lost too many frontline players in recent years and the lack of experience and match practice among what remains is obvious to see. Some of their techniques, especially against the ball leaving the batsman, are inadequate, and while they can survive, they struggle to score. In 100 overs this weekend, Zimbabwe's run-rate was barely over three an over. The exception to that is 19-year-old Justice Chibhabha, who showed some delightful touches and passed fifty in both matches while none of his colleagues made more than 26.

There are enough signs that Zimbabwe might have bottomed out, and if they can hold on to the current side then they could provide an upset or two when they meet Bangladesh in the dozen or so ODIs scheduled between the two later this year. If they could lure back some of talent that has been driven away, then it could only help the rebuilding process.

From Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wivzim/content/current/story/245860.html)

prasad
May 1, 2006, 04:09 AM
watch out for dwayne smith in the qualifiers(iccct)..this man can murder pace bowling.his six hitting ability is almost unmatched.mayb afridi comes close.will post some videos later to prove this.

Sovik
May 1, 2006, 10:16 AM
watch out for dwayne smith in the qualifiers(iccct)..this man can murder pace bowling.his six hitting ability is almost unmatched.mayb afridi comes close.will post some videos later to prove this.

I have seen him hitting sixes against pace bowling but how good is he against spinners. Pitches in India will be spin friendly and we have 3 good left arm spinners. but our real threat will be Sarwan and of course Brian Lara. and everyone else can be easy to handle

Tigers_eye
May 1, 2006, 11:11 AM
Have Bangladesh ever played a 7 matches ODI serries?? Not that I know. I wish BD also will be invited to play such long ODI serries against some good opponants. It would be greate if we could 7 matches against WI. I don't know how WI agreed to play such a long ODI serries against ZIM.
In the original schedule there were test matches. But since those got cancelled they had plenty of the days to schedule more ODIs. WI is desperate of getting any kind of financial benefit (TV - sponser deal).

prasad
May 1, 2006, 03:10 PM
these r dwayne smith's performance against bd.looks impressive

Batting
Versus M Inns NO 50s 100s HS Runs Avg Ca St
Bangladesh 3 3 1 1 0 *62 87 43.50 2 0

not just the average.his strike rates r usually above 110.and six hitting amazing.not a bad player against spin.but think he prefers pace bowling.and also his fielding and batting abilities r fine.shud b interesting to c him bat against mushrafe,shahadat,rafique.personally,i feel bd shud bring islam rana here.he has bowled well against wi.razzak is not quite the class of rana.rana had his wkt twice out of 3 times.once lbw and other one bowled.and wi overall...doesnt play left arm spinners well.

DJ Sahastra
May 1, 2006, 03:13 PM
WI Vs Zimbabwe is as exciting as watching the paint in your bedroom dry up.

prasad
May 1, 2006, 03:32 PM
not if wi is your favourite team.

DJ Sahastra
May 1, 2006, 03:44 PM
Well, good time for Gayle, Sarwan, Lara & Chanderpaul to get some form, and runs.

Sovik
May 1, 2006, 08:33 PM
Batsman Like lara don't need zimabwe to get his form back. but west indies isn't palying well in this series, their top order is struggling and lara is batting at 6

Shafin
May 2, 2006, 03:13 AM
they could provide an upset or two when they meet Bangladesh in the dozen or so ODIs scheduled between the two later this year
Porte valoi lage.

Miraz
May 2, 2006, 04:33 AM
I have watched both match live on Sky. In the first match both team looked pathetic, it was difficult to distinguish which one is better. In the second match WI dominated clearly. I am impressed with Chibabha, he is a good prospect. West Indies seems to be struggling to play quality cricket.

Miraz
May 2, 2006, 04:33 AM
Duplicate post deleted.

Tigers_eye
May 2, 2006, 08:07 AM
Miraz bhai,
How is WI and Zim bowling attack? Can we score 250 against those attack?

Miraz
May 2, 2006, 08:29 AM
Miraz bhai,
How is WI and Zim bowling attack? Can we score 250 against those attack?

Zim bowlers are pretty ordinary apart from Utseya. rainsford bowls one or two good delivery in an over and then sprays the other, rest are real ordinary club level bowler. We should be able to score 250+ regularly against such attack.

WI bowlers are now more or less line and length bowler. No real pace. Jerome Taylor bowls mid 80 mph. He is also like Rainsford, line and lenght is not consistent. Bravo, Bradshaw, Smith bowls wicket to wicket with little variation. We should comfortably score 250+ against WI bowling, particularly in sub-continent (considering ICC chamions trophy).

prasad
May 2, 2006, 08:49 AM
u forgot to mention abt edwards.a 87mph+ bowler.can touch mid 90's.bd had trouble playing malinga.the slinging action cud cause some trouble.if bd batsman play out edwards and taylor...rest r not tht good.

Miraz
May 2, 2006, 08:56 AM
u forgot to mention abt edwards.a 87mph+ bowler.can touch mid 90's.bd had trouble playing malinga.the slinging action cud cause some trouble.if bd batsman play out edwards and taylor...rest r not tht good.

Sorry for that, in fact he was the worst among the lot in current form. One wicket for 62 runs so far. He is good but not threatening, that's for sure.

prasad
May 2, 2006, 10:37 AM
agree.his performance vz zim has been dissapointing to say the least.i expeced him to run throught the zim line up.

DJ Sahastra
May 3, 2006, 04:56 PM
On an after-thought, watching the paint in my room dry is more exciting than this series :(

prasad
May 3, 2006, 06:21 PM
take my suggestion....plug the headphones and listen to commentary and watch the paint dry.........best of two worlds.

Tigers_eye
May 4, 2006, 12:26 PM
There was a tour match scheduled on May 3rd. Any news guys?

prasad
May 4, 2006, 05:14 PM
uwi(vice cgancellors eleven won).zim scored 324 in their 50 overs .uwi cored 325 for 6.with 3.5 ovs to spare.ryan hinds scored 110.

battye
May 6, 2006, 08:13 AM
Zimbabwe got a tri-series (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/244378.html) with Bermuda and Canada after their series with WI is over. But, eight of their players (including Duffin, captain of the team) are leaving the side right after the WI series to join their clubs in UK. Is anyone else smelling an upset or two ?

Will they even by able to put 11 on the park with 8 players leaving?

cricman
May 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
OMG Lara is on Fire and looks poised for a Big Century WI could make a run at 400

prasad
May 7, 2006, 10:18 AM
amazing shots being played by ......the prince.real treat to watch.,

Miraz
May 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
If Lara is there, 400 is on the card. Amazing shots by Lara!!

battye
May 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
He's out now.

Anyone know if there is any internet audio streaming of the game?

TwelfthMan
May 8, 2006, 04:53 AM
First post in this Forum

Zim lost the third ODI as ecpected, at least the guys managed to bat for the full 50 overs. The new look Zimbabwe side relies on Piet Rinke the attacking opener and if he doesnt do well all the other batsmen are heavily affected.

I

pilot fan
May 8, 2006, 09:18 AM
tell u what chiginbura and chibaba look class

battye
May 9, 2006, 06:01 AM
Piet Rinke has been amazing in the tour matches against the domestic sides, I believe he's made a couple of big ton's. Unfortunately he's done nothing in the ODI's yet. A big hundred from him could get the Zimbo's over the line.

TwelfthMan
May 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
does anybody know the actual dates when Bangladesh is playing Zimbabwe..coz i want to go watch the matches,

fwullah
May 11, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure what everyone is thinking around here, about the strength of the Zimbabwe side.

But from what I've seen, Zimbabwe players will be a lot stronger at home even with their D team.

And also, with the class players like Chigambura, Chibhabha - if they're in form at the time, then they could well look like better players than our Aftab-Ashraful.

Miraz
May 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure what everyone is thinking around here, about the strength of the Zimbabwe side.

But from what I've seen, Zimbabwe players will be a lot stronger at home even with their D team.

And also, with the class players like Chigambura, Chibhabha - if they're in form at the time, then they could well look like better players than our Aftab-Ashraful.

and then ..... fwullah pls complete .....:lol: :lol:

TheWatcher
May 11, 2006, 03:28 PM
No one even bothered to post how badly Zimbos were trashed in the fifth ODI !!!

Scorecard (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2006/ZIM_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/ZIM_WI_ODI5_10MAY2006.html)

Tigers_eye
May 11, 2006, 04:13 PM
Congrates Gayle. 5 more runs to chase would have been nice. :)

Miraz
May 11, 2006, 04:26 PM
Congrates Gayle. 5 more runs to chase would have been nice. :)

Beleive me, bowling was so pathetic. The young boys were looking really helpless and clueless. Zim players like Streak, Flowers, Blignaut should back if they really love their country and stop such humiliation.

battye
May 13, 2006, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know where I can listen to the current ODI in Trinidad?

I'm in Australia, so obviously tuning into local radio isn't an option :P

Either internet or shortwave I could handle however :)

Thanks

prasad
May 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
try cmatt.com and then abs radio.

cricman
May 13, 2006, 02:39 PM
Zim have a great chance to win they need 158 with 24 overs remaining, they just have to give there all

TheWatcher
May 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
The sixth match got washed out, lucky Zimbos.

battye
May 13, 2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks prasad.

TheWatcher, how were they lucky? They were in a good position at 2/72 after 12 overs.

TheWatcher
May 13, 2006, 11:58 PM
TheWatcher, how were they lucky? They were in a good position at 2/72 after 12 overs.
They were lucky because I don't think their frail batting line up would be able to reach the rain reduced target of 191 in 30 overs.

Ak
May 14, 2006, 05:29 PM
Prosper Utesya looks a decent spinner from the games I saw. The bowling attack was okay and Chibabwa looked a good batsman but nothing else to ride home about. I wonder what happened to Hamilton Madaska - he looked good against NZ last year.

TheWatcher
May 15, 2006, 03:00 PM
Marks out of 10 - Zimbabwe (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wivzim/content/current/story/247245.html)

9- Prosper Utseya
8- Chamu Chibhabha, Ed Rainsford
7- Tawanda Mupariwa, Vusi Sibanda, Brendan Taylor
6- Elton Chigumbura
5- Ryan Higgins
4- Terry Duffin, Keegan Meth, Gregory Strydom
3- Charles Coventry, Keith Dabengwa, Blessing Mahwire
2- Anthony Ireland
1- Piet Rinke

TheWatcher
May 17, 2006, 02:31 PM
Canada lost the first match to Zimbos.

Scorecard (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2006/OD_TOURNEYS/3-NAT_WI/SCORECARDS/CAN_ZIM_3-NAT_WI_ODI1_16MAY2006.html)

In second match, Canda vs Bermuda, Canada lost again (D/L method).

Scorercard (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/BMDA_CAN_3-NAT_WI_ODI2_17MAY2006.html)

battye
May 18, 2006, 06:47 AM
Can't see Bermuda causing an upset against Zimbabwe.

Just goes to show, there really are 3 levels of cricketing nations.

The full members (excl Zim): Aus, Eng, Sth Africa, Sri Lanka, Pak, Ind, New Zealand, West Indies and Bangladesh. Then there is quite a difference between them and Zimbabwe and Kenya, and then another difference between them and Canada & Bermuda.

No idea where the other ODI nations (Scotland, Netherlands etc) stand, but I predict somewhere between Zim / Kenya and Ber / Can.

Baundule
May 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
Can't see Bermuda causing an upset against Zimbabwe.

Just goes to show, there really are 3 levels of cricketing nations.

The full members (excl Zim): Aus, Eng, Sth Africa, Sri Lanka, Pak, Ind, New Zealand, West Indies and Bangladesh. Then there is quite a difference between them and Zimbabwe and Kenya, and then another difference between them and Canada & Bermuda.

No idea where the other ODI nations (Scotland, Netherlands etc) stand, but I predict somewhere between Zim / Kenya and Ber / Can.

Please dont try to make this type of leveling only after beating Kenya in a single series. Excluding Zim from the 'ELite' level is a disrespect towards them. We know how it feels when we are often discarded from the elite level.

Bangladesh is only slightly better at the moment than Zim or Scotland. If Zim can just stabilize themselves for a while, I am sure they are going to do better than us again. (Though I wish for the opposite)

TheWatcher
May 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
If you want to talk about cricket levels, here what I think-

Level 1: Australia
Level 2: Eng, Ind, SL, Pak, NZ, SA
Level 3: WI, BD
Level 4: Zim, Ken, Scotland, Ireland, Holland
Level 5: UAE, Canada, Bermuda, Namibia
Level 6: USA, Nepal, PNG, Uganda, .........

TheWatcher
May 18, 2006, 06:21 PM
Zim 338/7 (Sibanda 78, Taylor 98, Duffin 60)
Bermuda 144/7 (Romaine 62)

Bermuda lost by 194 runs.

Scorecard (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2006/OD_TOURNEYS/3-NAT_WI/SCORECARDS/BMDA_ZIM_3-NAT_WI_ODI3_18MAY2006.html)

Miraz
May 19, 2006, 04:25 AM
Zim 338/7 (Sibanda 78, Taylor 98, Duffin 60)
Bermuda 144/7 (Romaine 62)

Bermuda lost by 194 runs.

Scorecard (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2006/OD_TOURNEYS/3-NAT_WI/SCORECARDS/BMDA_ZIM_3-NAT_WI_ODI3_18MAY2006.html)

Zimbabwe should win all the matches in the tri series. They are under trouble but still their cricketting standard should be gulf away from Bermuda.

battye
May 19, 2006, 11:20 AM
Please dont try to make this type of leveling only after beating Kenya in a single series. Excluding Zim from the 'ELite' level is a disrespect towards them. We know how it feels when we are often discarded from the elite level.

Bangladesh is only slightly better at the moment than Zim or Scotland. If Zim can just stabilize themselves for a while, I am sure they are going to do better than us again. (Though I wish for the opposite)

No disrespect towards them at all, the team has huge potential, but the truth of the matter is at the moment they are not in the same boat as the other full members.

Any full member is still at the 'Elite' level, regardless of the scores. I agree with you, that once they get a few games under their belts, they will come back stronger.:)