PDA

View Full Version : Ponting to carry drinks in the 3rd ODI

TheWatcher
April 27, 2006, 05:18 PM
Cosgrove in Aussie debut

Fox Sports (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18955933-23212,00.html)

YOUNG batsman Mark Cosgrove will make his one-day debut in a weakened Australia side for the dead rubber with Bangladesh at Fatullah Stadium today.

The 21-year-old South Australian comes into the side for resting captain Ricky Ponting, who will carry the drinks.

Inexperienced duo Mitchell Johnson and Brett Dorey will open the under-strength bowling attack with all rounder James Hopes also coming into the side. Pacemen Brett Lee and Nathan Bracken have both been rested for the final match of the tour. Australia already holds an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the three-match series and Adam Gilchrist will be acting captain.

Cosgrove said he is delighted to be picked in the national side.

"I have worked hard for this throughout my short career," he said. "I can't wait to pull on the green and gold of Australia. I'll be playing with some idols of mine as well as some mates I have known for a long time."

Selector on duty Merv Hughes felt Ponting and Lee deserved a break and he was keen to give Hopes a game in the lead-up to next year's World Cup in the West Indies.

"Ricky Ponting has played a lot of cricket in 18 months and this is a good opportunity to see how some of the other members of the squad handle these conditions," he said. "We have decided to manage certain players's workload. Brett Lee has had a heavy recent schedule with five Tests in five weeks and some one-day internationals.

"We have decided to give Brett Dorey the opportunity to perform under these conditions - heat, humidity and pitch. Nathan Bracken's performances in one-day internationals indicates that he is settled in the team but this gives us the chance to give James Hopes a game. His batting and bowling in these conditions will be important."

Mike Hussey said the side is keen to finish off the series on a winning note.

"We are tired and we do want to go home but we are still playing for Australia and we have a lot of pride in our own performance," he said. "I think we also owe it to ourselves to finish the season really strongly."

The team: Simon Katich, Adam Gilchrist (captain), Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Mark Cosgrove, Michael Hussey, James Hopes, Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson, Dan Cullen, Brett Dorey. 12th man: Ricky Ponting.

shuzon
April 27, 2006, 07:14 PM
Alrite.. dats it.. we gatta do it now.. aussies trying to humiliate us

gravitY
April 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
Alrite.. dats it.. we gatta do it now.. aussies trying to humiliate us

we'd rather do it to them... .this is the time!!!

OZGOD
April 27, 2006, 07:34 PM
Why would OZ be trying to humiliate you? This rotation policy has been in place for a number of years now.

Zobair
April 27, 2006, 07:46 PM
well...good for the Aussies and good for us...I hope! Whenever teams have rested their main players they have come in for a shock against us in the last year or so...though to be honest ponting has hardly set the world on fire this ODI series...lee and bracken though have done damage to us early on!

cricketboy
April 27, 2006, 10:56 PM
Ponting 12th man. Thats interesting. Bangladesh should include Ash and Aftab and look to win this match.

ajithlalm
April 28, 2006, 02:23 AM
Well the rotation policy is good. This will give experience to the bench players and also helps to identify which all players are good.

Seeing the Bangladesh bat, I think the players lack confidence and self belief. Either too much defending without rotating strike or throwing ball into the air. Should try more ones and twos and to rotate the strike than currrently doing.

Tigers_eye
April 28, 2006, 08:43 AM
Ponting 12th man. Thats interesting. Bangladesh should include Ash and Aftab and look to win this match.

lol, Bd should ban them for at least 2 years for this outragious performance.

stevothedevo68
April 28, 2006, 09:45 AM
Just goes to show you the depth in Australian Cricket - give these up and coming players a go and they show that they are good enough to play for any other team.

BD would struggle to have it's players play 1st class cricket in Aust. They still have a long way to go to play at the top level. Give them around 5 years they will be a lot better and start to move up the rankings.

Tigers_eye
April 28, 2006, 09:55 AM
I am one of the biggest critic of "Arrogant Ponting". But him, taking the drinks, towel to his boys in a hot (extremely hot) day, only shows his leadership ability. Our captain would never do that. Heck any subcontinent captain would never do that. We can learn so many things just from this one incident. Strong Character, I am with you in the battle field attitude, leadership etc.

SS
April 28, 2006, 10:04 AM
our captain,senior players are selectors are nobabjada. They have servents...King of loosers