PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic Display of Cricket

sensible
April 28, 2006, 01:54 AM
What a match!!!

Bangladesh showed how badly a team can perform!!

Rajin used 102 of 300 available balls to score 37 runs! And yet he is the highest scorer. I think he should be banned from the one day team for life after this show. And we dropped JO because he is slow!

Some of us here thought the reason we lost last match because our "Match Winner" players were left out. I'm sure they'll find some unique logic tomorrow morning to defend their arguments. I'm waiting to see those....good entertainment value.

Only Nafees had bad luck through out the series. Specially today. Every one else has the body language of losers. it's a very sad day for Bangladesh cricket.

Mr-Cricket
April 28, 2006, 01:57 AM
Trully pathetic showing, no less. Words can hardly express the disapointment I'm feeling right now. I'm appalled. Look at Australia's bowlers for god sake - shame on you Bangladesh! :mad:

Tigers_eye
April 28, 2006, 02:01 AM
8/2 what do you expect Rajin to do? Hit out like his partners?
40/3 what do you expect Rajin to do? Hit out like his partners?

For those who bashed the selectors for not selecting Ash on the 2nd ODI... What do you have to say about Ash's lovely performance in 3 ODI? Our champion great batsman.

Ahh! And there is Alok. lol.

Tail... What tail?

cricket_pagla
April 28, 2006, 02:04 AM
we r seein' ultimate hopeless criket playin by our 'plyars!'.. Rajin finally get decent 37. but dat cost 102 balls!!!!... n aftab... ashraful.... all were..... 2 pathetic 2 tell nethin abt dem...

sar2005
April 28, 2006, 02:07 AM
Bring the whole U19 team as ODI team now onwards under DW's superviosn, whereelse current team should only be considered for test matches. Only Bashar and Mashrafi will be in ODI side and Bashar as the captain.

Miraz
April 28, 2006, 02:08 AM
No word can explain Bangladesh's performance today. This was the best possible team and they performed in the worst possible way. Rajin was bogged down, he either plays fluent innings like he did against Kenya or gets bogged down. He did it in numerous occasions before, that's why his career s/r is near 55. Before kenya series it was 53.75. He is a makeshift opener, you cannot expect that he will always perform. I haven't watched the BD innings, but from cricinfo and match thread it seems the top order had again played irresponsibly or they had no clue what's heppening.

Its a black friday for Bangladesh cricket.

PoorFan
April 28, 2006, 02:27 AM
I don't blame Rajin today, but those who blamed Javed, Bashar and Mashud for last match for BUILDING an innings ( be it slow ) has learned something I hope. I don't even blame Ash also for today, because I was always opposed the idea to drop Ash in the middle of a big series. My point is, you don't experiment and shuffle your top order just before a big series. All of a sudden we put Rajin for open just depend on one match against Kenya.

Looks like we went back to the old days chopping, shuffling and cutting the team just before or middle of the series. This must has to stop, drop any player you want after the series, not in the middle, let him finish the series. And replace him with a player ONLY who plays for same position, this is very important. Because a team like BD become vulnerable, specially some players has big impact on team. We are not a team yet, that we can shuffle our team and batting position and produce same or better result ( in a short time ).

Mr-Cricket
April 28, 2006, 02:30 AM
I think you've just hit the nail on the head there PoorFan. Totally agree with each point you've made.

Mohiul
April 28, 2006, 02:48 AM
soon, It's gonna ge pathetic for Aussies as well

Zaheed Mahmood
April 28, 2006, 02:52 AM
Now we should come down to earth, we can’t just pick anyone out of whims as the scapegoat and that too is the one who deserved it the least out of those playing eleven!! Rajin should be banned because he scored 37 against 102 balls?? Why?? Was it like there were only few overs left for some other batsman to perform because Rajin took away most of them?? Was it like we had a good few batsmen deprived of the chance to score because Rajin stayed on the wicket for a long time?? BD just put the most pathetic cricket of recent times, but let’s just not get too carried away to pick on the wrong guy when we do postmortem on the disastrous BD’s display!! At least Rajin (and also Bashar) helped BD from the more ignominious state of wrapping up the innings within 30 over and managing some farcical runs below 100!!
Zaheed

Mohiul
April 28, 2006, 03:09 AM
seems that everybody lost spirit, but I haven't.

ammark
April 28, 2006, 03:09 AM
I don't blame Rajin today, but those who blamed Javed, Bashar and Mashud for last match for BUILDING an innings ( be it slow ) has learned something I hope. I don't even blame Ash also for today, because I was always opposed the idea to drop Ash in the middle of a big series. My point is, you don't experiment and shuffle your top order just before a big series. All of a sudden we put Rajin for open just depend on one match against Kenya.

Looks like we went back to the old days chopping, shuffling and cutting the team just before or middle of the series. This must has to stop, drop any player you want after the series, not in the middle, let him finish the series. And replace him with a player ONLY who plays for same position, this is very important. Because a team like BD become vulnerable, specially some players has big impact on team. We are not a team yet, that we can shuffle our team and batting position and produce same or better result ( in a short time ).

Well said :up: totally agree. This is a JO related post in reference to sth spitty wrote in another thread.

Look, JO's been good in his day, but I think the threads from the past in BC are self-explanatory why we think Javed is deficient and needs to be changed to make room for others. Bringing someone else on instead of him does not do any more good or harm than having him around. JO isnt getting any younger, so we might as well give Tushar and NI a chance to get in. JO has been criticised so much for his slow innings of grit, sticking in the crease because it yielded no better results for the team, instead it just gave us a false show of "respectable" defeat.

Now he's changed his style to a more "aggressive" way, and its still not doing any greater good since, given his limitations, it still exposes him more to getting out and retaining his same average. The past two BD innings doesnt really count for arguments on how we scored 60 runs more with him there. It does NOT absolve all the other batsmen of blame. Having him and not having him is eventually of minor consequence. At the end of the day, we should give him credit for his contributions, and also be open to seeing our team evolve from its static state with the generation of the future.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls --> As for blaming selectors: It should be for their indecisiveness. They are so inconsistent with players, and are constantly shuttling people in and out based on one inning performance. They need to give everyone a chance, series by series - not on a per match basis! If JO is in a team for fist game, he ought to be there for all 3 in the series without being shuffled and shuttled. Same thing goes for Aftab, Ashraful, Tushar, NI and Kapali!

roi
April 28, 2006, 05:17 AM
I just think....our players were also tired a bit...thet have been playing cricket for almost 2 months.....They are just not ready to play good cricket for a extend period of time....Any they i am happy with their performance although! Great fight on 1st ODI and decent show in 2nd ODI and 3rd one was crap....remember, a lot of country also beaten by Assie badly.
I think...We need to count in a big landscape.

PoorFan
April 28, 2006, 05:27 AM
I just think....our players were also tired a bit...thet have been playing cricket for almost 2 months.....They are just not ready to play good cricket for a extend period of time....Any they i am happy with their performance although! Great fight on 1st ODI and decent show in 2nd ODI and 3rd one was crap....remember, a lot of country also beaten by Assie badly.
I think...We need to count in a big landscape.
<!--StartFragment -->What else is there to be found as an excuse? and there must be thousands of positives if you intend to look up the losers.

sadi
April 28, 2006, 08:12 AM
Rajin definately sucked today... I mean it was simply pathetic.... but who did well anyways?? everyone failed so there is no point blaming Rajin only... true rajin scored 37 of 102 ball but what did the rest of the team did in 200 balls.... not even 80 runs if you exclude extras.... we just had a terrible day out there today.... it happens

rudro
April 28, 2006, 08:53 AM
Oh God! You guys still have energy to talk!!!!!!!!!!!

Miraz
April 28, 2006, 08:57 AM
Oh God! You guys still have energy to talk!!!!!!!!!!!

Go through this thread>> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=16259)

and relax, it's life mate ;)

Fazal
April 28, 2006, 09:16 AM
Rajin used 102 of 300 available balls to score 37 runs! And yet he is the highest scorer. I think he should be banned from the one day team for life after this show. And we dropped JO because he is slow!

That really broke my heart. Rajin is a hard worker, I wish him well. But watching him playing that innings was so painful... we blame Gullu for not taking singles... too slow RR for ODI. But Rajin set a new standard, exceeding previous low threshold. He was unable to take singles and then trying to take risky shots to compensate very low-low RR. He was over matched against 3rd rate Australian Bowlers, it was pain to watch. He was taking one run in the 6th ball and then the next over is maiden. It happened couple of times. So basically 1 run in 12 balls. It created too much pressure to Bashar to excelerate the run rate. At some point I was wishing he were out even though 3 wickets were down.

I know he had one century against Kenya. But now I am really doubting, is he good enough to open the ODI innings when the opponent is not Kenya or Zim?

stevothedevo68
April 28, 2006, 09:39 AM
Just goes to show the vast gap between the two sides. Australia's 2nd 11 side came in and thrashed Bangladesh. Australia have been dissapointing in this series - they failed to show even a fraction of the brilliance from that SA series.

Bangladesh need all the practice they can get at the highest level and playing the top side, although can demoralize a team, helps to build up skill levels - Just look at Pakistan after they got thumped by Aust.

Miraz
April 28, 2006, 09:50 AM
That really broke my heart. Rajin is a hard worker, I wish him well. But watching him playing that innings was so painful... we blame Gullu for not taking singles... too slow RR for ODI. But Rajin set a new standard, exceeding previous low threshold. He was unable to take singles and then trying to take risky shots to compensate very low-low RR. He was over matched against 3rd rate Australian Bowlers, it was pain to watch. He was taking one run in the 6th ball and then the next over is maiden. It happened couple of times. So basically 1 run in 12 balls. It created too much pressure to Bashar to excelerate the run rate. At some point I was wishing he were out even though 3 wickets were down.

I know he had one century against Kenya. But now I am really doubting, is he good enough to open the ODI innings when the opponent is not Kenya or Zim?

Well said. Sometimes I feel Rajin is worse than JO. JO atleast hits few boundaries when he starts which later dries up or he gets out. Rajin in number of occasions were so bogged down that he respects each and every ball and completely forgets to play shots.

Undoubtedly he is good against kenya or Zimbo but he is a completely wrong choice as an opener against any other side.

Here's Rajin's innings as an opener aparft from the century against Kenya

5 2 caught wk 1 L Asia Cup 9 v SL in SL 2004
23 2 caught 1 L Asia Cup 12 v Pak in SL 2004 at Colombo (RPS) (d/n) [2154 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/OD_TOURNEYS/ASIA/SCORECARDS/BDESH_PAK_ASIA_ODI12_29JUL2004.html)]
82 2 stumped 2 L 3rd ODI v Ind in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2202 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/IND_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/IND_BDESH_ODI3_27DEC2004.html)]
40 1 caught 2 L 1st ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2207 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_ODI1_20JAN2005.html)]
6 1 caught 2 L 2nd ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Chittagong (MAA) [2210 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_ODI2_24JAN2005.html)]
77 1 caught 1 W 3rd ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Chittagong (MAA) [2211 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_ODI3_26JAN2005.html)]
2 1 caught 1 W 4th ODI v Zim in BD 2004/05 at Dhaka (d/n) [2214 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/ZIM_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/ZIM_BDESH_ODI4_29JAN2005.html)]
7 1 lbw 1 L 1st ODI v SL in BD 2005/06 at Bogra (d/n) [2334 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/SL_BDESH_ODI1_20FEB2006.html)]
7 2 caught 1 L 1st ODI v Aus in BD 2005/06 at Chittagong (CDS) [2365 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_ODI1_23APR2006.html)]
0 2 caught wk 2 L 2nd ODI v Aus in BD 2005/06 at Fatullah [2366 (http://stats.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/AUS_IN_BDESH/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_ODI2_26APR2006.html)]

He is neither consistent nor solid as an an opener. his best innings as an opener was 82 against India in 2004. He is a good test player b ut I really doubt his credential as an ODI player.

Spitfire_x86
April 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
Rajin's performance in today's match is definately a thing to worry about.

We should definately not go back to JO. I highly doubt he would do better than Rajin today. Aussie bowlers hardly gave any ball for square cut, and without that shot JO would do as bad as Rajin (given he wouldn't get LBW and could play 100 balls)

Maybe it's time to give Nafees Iqbal another chance or try Ashraful again as opener.

sensible
April 28, 2006, 10:47 AM
Rajin's performance in today's match is definately a thing to worry about.

Maybe it's time to give Nafees Iqbal another chance or try Ashraful again as opener.

You still have FAITH in Ashraful?

It's a good thing that Bangladesh is not playing any more one day or test in the near future. With a totally unknown, second rate (may be third rate) bowling attack, we showed our PERFORMANCE. Australia was not able to insult BD team until last night.

We need to reinvent the wheel, it seems. Go back to the basics and practice everythings; again, and again, and again,.........

Mr-Cricket
April 28, 2006, 10:51 AM
Sometimes I feel Rajin is worse than JO. JO atleast hits few boundaries when he starts which later dries up or he gets out. Rajin in number of occasions were so bogged down that he respects each and every ball and completely forgets to play shots.
While I agree with your post, I think this first point you made needs some clarification. Rajin has clearly shown, in patches, that he has some gorgeous off-side strokes. He has repeatedly hit numerous cover-drives/cut shots straight to fielders, particularly when the off-side field has been intentionally restricted. Ponting's/Gilchrist's field placements throughout this ODI series have been technically flawless, and these tactics alone must be credited for bringing about the downfall of many of our players through ordinary strokes. Against a lesser ODI tactition (Captain), Rajin (amongst others) can thrive, by playing their natural game (scoring regular boundaries/keeping the scoreboard ticking). However when faced with adversity (or in this case - unfriendly field placements), one must overcome this calamity by adjusting his game to that in which the situation demands.

The major letdown for me, from Rajin, throughout this ODI series has been his clear innability to look for/steal quick singles (I must clarify that he is not alone in this). In the 2nd ODI, Clarke & Symonds were able to build a very good partnership by working with each other to keep the scoreboard ticking (thereby reducing the need to play risky strokes). This is where Rajin, and others, have shot themselves in the foot. Today (and in both 1st, 2nd ODI) there was:

An easy single to Third-Man for balls that pitched slighty wide of off-stump
An easy single to Long-On for balls that pitched too straight
An easy single to Fine-Leg for balls that drifted down leg-side.Instead of building an innings around singles, Rajin (again, amonst others) chose to continue playing his natural game (gorgeous cover drives/cut shots - even when it was obvious no matter how well you placed it, it still would not get past the infield). Where this failed, he attempted to play wild slogs over the infield in order to make up for dot balls - rather than continuing to change over the strike by attempting to place balls into the aforementioned areas. This placed undue pressure on not only himself, but also his partners to score runs (and vice-versa).

He is neither consistent nor solid as an an opener. his best innings as an opener was 82 against India in 2004. He is a good test player but I really doubt his credential as an ODI player.
I am starting to agree with this statement. For me, he hasn't displayed the ability to modify his game to suit the circumstances in ODI's thus far (but then again, he is not alone in this regard). Nevertheless, I am not prepared, just yet, to fiddle with this current squad. The last thing we need after this Series is wholesale changes. We may need to tinker with the batting order in order to get the best from our players, and the Coaches/Selectors definately need to express what it is that they demand from the players (because clearly there is a communication gap here). At this time, it may also be beneficial to trial some of our 'talented' younger players (as Australia has done with Mitchell Johnson, Dan Cullen & Mark Cosgrove).

All in all, a very, very disapointing end, to an otherwise promising series (in patches). The 1st Test will forever be referred to 'the biggest let-up by any Bangladeshi team in history'. And from here on, 'Friday, 28th April, 2006 shall be known as 'Black Friday' - The day Bangladeshi Cricket died. Nevertheless, I pray the Phoenix (or charred Tiger) can again rise from the Ashes. (This last paragraph is not to be taken that seriously - I'm still venting). ;)

ahms
April 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
It is a shameful display. As though, I am very depressed. Whatever pride I had for BD Cricket team, everything washed away. This ups and down, doesn't say much about my cricket team-------------how pathetic !!!!!!

Our national players do not play much cricket, do they? Why they lacking consistency? Can any one tell me why.

OZGOD
April 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
It's tough when you don't have a winning culture - theoretically the pressure should have been off Bangladesh as the series had been decided already. But they looked to be burdened by the need to win against a relatively inexperienced OZ team (particularly in the bowling) and played accordingly.

This is what differentiates really good teams with a strong winning culture though - if you have an infrastructure which supports success and a good domestic competition that hones players' skills then you can bring players into the team who will be competitive, even though they may not be the finished article (eg. players like Dorey and Johnson who are not world-class by any means but have a strong competitive spirit and work hard because they want to get into the side on a fulltime basis). There's strong competition for places in the OZ team, so nobody gets complacent.

One of Bangladesh's biggest weaknesses is consistency - one match they will compete really well, but are unable to replicate that same level of competitiveness for the next match. That consistency only comes with time and learning from playing better teams.

Bad luck fellas, but I'd still say this tour has been a net gain for Bangladesh overall. The next key goal for your team should be the Champions Trophy where you've got a real chance against a WI team in disarray, a novice Zim team and a SL team which tends not to travel well. The goal should definitely be to finish in the top 2 of that preliminary qualifying group.

Mr-Cricket
April 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well said, 'OZGOD'.

Ernest
April 29, 2006, 05:58 PM
seems that everybody lost spirit, but I haven't.

That's right cricmad, never lose heart, look at England in the doldrums for years, we got used to not winning, then out of the blue we had a side that beat Australia.

Keep believing, the Bangladesh players needs support, don't forget they was playing Australia, and you should really have won one Test.

crickmad is right, don't lose spirit, plan for the next series.
Cheers lads

cricket_pagol
April 29, 2006, 08:49 PM

Exactly what i felt. It was painful to see Rajin trying break the shackles against the inexperienced aussie bowlers. I think he was OK till 10-15overs... since he could not get any ball through a packed cover, he did not know what to do. He just could not rotate the strike!!!

LateCut
April 29, 2006, 09:08 PM

Say what? Did BD bat for the full 50 overs? How was it then 300 balls? BD batted for exactly 255 balls (plus 19 no balls and wides). Do you know that Rafique faced 11 balls and did not put up a score? Will you ban him too?

When wickets tumbles sombody need to stem the flow of blood. Rajin did just what was the best of available options. Don't blame him. Blame the entire team. Top order was never in control. It could have been even worse. One sure LBW was denied.

Niceman70
April 30, 2006, 01:38 AM

Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Stumped
April 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
A few points(not in order)...
1) Firstly put the whole U19 squad as the national team and see how far you get... They may have done well in the U19 world cup but it is a HUGE jump to the national squad. You have older, more experienced players who are stronger mentaly and physicaly.
2) Untill Dizzy got that 201 there was not much coverage of Aussie in Banga. That says something! Normally aust boast and boast and boast. Many peop have come up to me over this tour saying how well Banga is doing and i found myself dissagreing with them. I then realised Bangladesh may have not won a match, but they did well enough to restrict Aust on a few occasions. Why is it people always remember the bad and never the good??
3) Changing players mid-way a series is not un-common... And there are many reasons as to why someone may not be included in one or few of ODI.
4) Rajin... To open against Kenya and do well is one thing but to open against Aust and other top-of-the-ladder countries is another thing all together... All the matched these guys play is experience and all you can do is hope that if they get out cheap they learn. A player is not going to perfrom every match. Get used to it.

You can throw all the negative comments around all you want... but at the end of the day remember the good they have done as well. When they have performed badly as a team or as an individual they know it. Im not trying to make excuses for everything as obviously they could have done better... there is always room for improvement...

BanglaCool
May 1, 2006, 04:40 AM
Stumped, atleast you can do better than saying we are "bangas". As you would probably know from your visits here, we are known as "bangalees" or "bangladeshis" and derive much pride from that, bangas has simply no place.
"there is always room for improvement..."
This is where your dad comes in.

Stumped
May 1, 2006, 06:44 PM
Obviously thats where dad comes in.. and if not him any coach that comes in next. I was just tryin to get some positive talk going. There is not too much of it around at the moment. And bout the "Banga" name... It is something i have going with Dad... did not mean any disrespect by it... I must say I kinda liked it, short and sweet. Being from Sri-Lanka alot of peop chop, change and shorten that also... it is not something to get upset about.... but sorry, ill remember for the future.