PDA

View Full Version : 'Tiger fined for dissent' - Fox Sports

Mr-Cricket
April 29, 2006, 12:06 AM
Tiger fined for dissent
April 29, 2006

BANGLADESH opening batsman Shahriar Nafees was fined 20 percent of his match fee for dissent in his side's nine-wicket defeat against Australia in the final one-dayer overnight.

Shahriar was found guilty of dissent by match referee Jeff Crowe in a hearing after play in which he had been dismissed lbw for a duck on the third ball of the innings to Aussie left-armer Mitchell Johnson.

An ICC statement said the player admitted to a breach of 1.3 of the ICC Code which relates to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision by action or verbal abuse".

"The offence related to his reaction when he was given out leg before wicket to the third ball of the match. Shahriar shook his head and gestured with his bat towards the Bangladesh dressing room as he left the field," said the statement.
In explaining his decision, Crowe said: "The player admitted what he had done was wrong and I took this, together with his previously exemplary conduct, into account. "However, it is important to show that dissent of any sort at an umpire's decision is unacceptable and the player's punishment for his actions illustrates that fact."

The charge was brought by on-field umpires Ian Howell and Nadir Shah and television umpire AFM Akhtaruddin and Crowe reached his conclusion after a hearing also attended by the three officials, Bangladesh manager Mohammad Shafique-ul-Huque and coach Dav Whatmore.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/081749news.jpg

mhferdaus
April 29, 2006, 12:17 AM
hmm ricky also showed dissent and got fined at least he got the right decision in the end, so ricky 1 nafees 0 :D

tanvir_nus
April 29, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hail Nafees!!!!:D... see my signature to understand what I mean... be a real tiger... don't accept any more bad decisions!!!

Hatebreed
April 29, 2006, 07:28 AM
I say well done Nafees. If I was him I'd take off my helmet first.

Sovik
April 29, 2006, 07:44 AM
what a rule? all this time we are getting decisions against us and if we show some disappointment, we get punished.

zakirc
April 29, 2006, 01:29 PM
I really dont see exactly where SN showed dissent. Instead he was actually smiling!! Dissent needs better clarification. Compared to what Ricky Ponting did the punishment is not fair. A player can shake his head for many reasons. Aussie & English players do the same all the time and every time they get away and rightfully so. What Ponting did was real dissent and compared to SN's punishment Ponting was just given a slap on the wrist!!

I am Disghusted by the activities of ICC.....international চোর কাউন্সিল!!

Hatebreed
April 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
ICC = International Cricket Culprits

cricket_pagol
April 29, 2006, 01:41 PM
I was kinda asumed to read this... ricky was not even reported by the on field umpires, and poor SN got into trouble for shaking his head. I guess the showing the bat to the bangladeshi dressing room got him into trouble.

If the umpires give a horrible decision, which they did, then it is natural for players to get frustrated!!!!

sar2005
April 29, 2006, 02:51 PM
Was ponting fined when he commented to umpire during first ODI after getting LBW to Razzak? Video clearly shows that he was saying something to the umpire while leaving the ground.

I think if Ponting was given an LBW like Nafees, he would definitley force umpire to consult with third umpire.

al Furqaan
April 29, 2006, 02:58 PM
shaking his head and pointing his bat towards the dressing room???

perhaps the ICC should look at a tape of ron artest to see what true sporting deviant behavior is.

this is pure BS, i woulda done 10 times worse than nafees...do you know how many ducks SN has picked up this series due to shady calls??

could there be a conspiracy to keep bangladesh players under a 30 batting average???

with this ridiculous decision, SN now has a 29 ODI average. could easily have been past 30 had he scored even 15 runs.

akabir77
April 29, 2006, 07:55 PM
my question is why wasn't the ump fined? I mean he destroid the whole inn for bd and acording to the importance of the wicket/situation ump should be fined too

LateCut
April 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
I watched him too. He shook his head and smiled. As if to say 'You got that one wrong'. Then walked to the pavalion. I do not remember seeing the raised bat. But he just could have been indicating to Aftab (as they crossed) that the ball nicked the bat! I do not know what TI was sorry about!

We should get a fund collection going and replace his 20% match fee.

Mon
April 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
total BS. Why not fine the umpires who make stupid decisions. I think confusing LBW decisions should ultimately go to the 3rd umpires discretion. Some might argue that it will take excitement out of the game but it's also not amusing to lose a valueable wicket due to a poor umpiring decision. I hope it was Ian Howell and not Nadir Shah who gave that LBW decision. if was Nadir Shah, then we will have a hemorrhage apiece....

cricket_pagla
April 29, 2006, 09:39 PM
cooool... but.. if u do dis kinda thing... again u'll b punished... :D

Niceman70
April 30, 2006, 01:27 AM
why the media is so quite? cricketnext.com would say soo much if that had happened to india.

Frost
May 1, 2006, 06:55 PM
I would not have any problem with such decision if such decisions were given fairly and consistently against every player or country. Unfortunately, most of the times these decisions are applied harshly on lowly ranked teams and their players. Even though a lot of "politically correct" people will argue with "human error" type BS; I believe the fact shows that we (and some other lowly ranked teams) are the victims most of the times. It is time to speak out and also time to take serious measures against those "consistently" poor umpires and match referees. ICC should do something about it before it is too late. Since cricketers and team managements are tightly bound by ICC code of conduct, the sports reporters should come up and report these incidents (inconsistencies) more aggressively for the good of the game. Only then ICC will pay attention to these problems.