PDA

View Full Version : Personal Diary - Playing Cricket Abroad

sar2005
May 8, 2006, 03:32 PM
I had my debut in Danish 2nd division cricket league yesterday. We are two BD players playing for the team Soranerne which is mainly a cosmopolitan team. In our team, we have players from AUS, ENG, SA, IND, Denmark and BD. All the guys are experts working here including a few students. Another Bangladeshi is Tiklu (probably some of you know him as he was in Holland for five years and now in Denmark for almost five years).

I played in many grounds in BD and IND (while studying there) but have no hesitation to say that the Svanholm Park ground (National cricket ground in Denmark) is the best I have ever seen. There are 3 standard size cricket grounds in the whole area. These are all open grounds without any gallery. People just lay down or sit on wooden benches on sloppy grassy surroundings of the ground and enjoy cricket. There are 6 pitches in line at one side of the ground, all covered with high and long nets for practice. As far as the eyes goes, it is just green and green. The wicket is covered with mats and probably the best ever one for me where I played. The bounce were very even and I did not see a single delivery that went low.

http://www.picturepuppy.com/images/sar011/svanholmpark.jpg

I am not a very good cricket player. I played some 2nd division qualifying matches in early 90s when I was a teenager. By seeing all those facilities here in Denmark, I feel terribly sorry for my poor friends back in home. They can never expect such a wonderful arrangement although their quality is by far better. Playing in such a wonderful condition is dream for anyone who plays cricket. I was really asking myself, why these people can’t improve in cricket although they have so much facility. It again has been proven to me that wealth and resources are not all for cricket. You must need the ‘passion’ for the game which is luckily with us in BD.

My team Soranerne won the toss and decided to bat first in a 40 overs affair. I went to bat at one down (28/1 in 7.4 overs) and when got out, team score was 133 for 2 in 28 overs, a perfect foundation for free hitting. The task was smartly completed by our South African mate Mark when he scored 73 in 30+ deliveries with 8 huge huge sixes. The total score was 252/6 in 40 overs. I scored exactly 50 and then got stumped. While I was going back to pavilion, opposition captain was calling me Rajin Saleh, Habibul Bashar – a time when I really feel proud of them.

In reply AB III started brilliantly and they just conveyed the message that it was not going to be a quick day. Their opener and one-down batsman took the score to 100+ in around 20 overs. First and lucky break through came as a run-out when both the batsman ended at one side. The most fantastic moment for me came when I bowled an off-spinner to one of their key batsman (he was really taking runs as per asking rr 8 per over) who hitted high and high to long-off where another BD guy Tiklu took a spectacular catch. This was marked as the turning point of the game and many of our mates in the team called it a ‘Bangladeshi Special’. At the end AB scored 216/8 in 40 overs. Good start for Soranerne in the season and same for me.

I thought BC would be a nice place for me to share my joy and nice moments of first cricketing day here in Denmark. After all, over last few months, I feel, you all are the friends in my lonely away life to share my pleasure of cricket – the sports that we all love so much. Please forgive me for my poor writing as I’m not a professional ;)

I would be happy if our other friends of BC keep this thread alive by writing their own personal cricket experience in different countries all over the world. Please post your experience of fun time with cricket in away life.

jabbar
May 8, 2006, 08:55 PM
Nice article mate. Well done! Good to hear that BD players are displaying their skills abroad. I assume the photo is of yourself executing a sumptuous off-drive. Very classy :)

mhferdaus
May 8, 2006, 09:38 PM
I had my debut in Danish 2nd division cricket league yesterday. We are two BD players playing for the team Soranerne which is mainly a cosmopolitan team. In our team, we have players from AUS, ENG, SA, IND, Denmark and BD. All the guys are experts working here including a few students. Another Bangladeshi is Tiklu (probably some of you know him as he was in Holland for five years and now in Denmark for almost five years).

I played in many grounds in BD and IND (while studying there) but have no hesitation to say that the Svanholm Park ground (National cricket ground in Denmark) is the best I have ever seen. There are 3 standard size cricket grounds in the whole area. These are all open grounds without any gallery. People just lay down or sit on wooden benches on sloppy grassy surroundings of the ground and enjoy cricket. There are 6 pitches in line at one side of the ground, all covered with high and long nets for practice. As far as the eyes goes, it is just green and green. The wicket is covered with mats and probably the best ever one for me where I played. The bounce were very even and I did not see a single delivery that went low.

http://www.picturepuppy.com/images/sar011/svanholmpark.jpg

I am not a very good cricket player. I played some 2nd division qualifying matches in early 90s when I was a teenager. By seeing all those facilities here in Denmark, I feel terribly sorry for my poor friends back in home. They can never expect such a wonderful arrangement although their quality is by far better. Playing in such a wonderful condition is dream for anyone who plays cricket. I was really asking myself, why these people can’t improve in cricket although they have so much facility. It again has been proven to me that wealth and resources are not all for cricket. You must need the ‘passion’ for the game which is luckily with us in BD.

My team Soranerne won the toss and decided to bat first in a 40 overs affair. I went to bat at one down (28/1 in 7.4 overs) and when got out, team score was 133 for 2 in 28 overs, a perfect foundation for free hitting. The task was smartly completed by our South African mate Mark when he scored 73 in 30+ deliveries with 8 huge huge sixes. The total score was 252/6 in 40 overs. I scored exactly 50 and then got stumped. While I was going back to pavilion, opposition captain was calling me Rajin Saleh, Habibul Bashar – a time when I really feel proud of them.

In reply AB III started brilliantly and they just conveyed the message that it was not going to be a quick day. Their opener and one-down batsman took the score to 100+ in around 20 overs. First and lucky break through came as a run-out when both the batsman ended at one side. The most fantastic moment for me came when I bowled an off-spinner to one of their key batsman (he was really taking runs as per asking rr 8 per over) who hitted high and high to long-off where another BD guy Tiklu took a spectacular catch. This was marked as the turning point of the game and many of our mates in the team called it a ‘Bangladeshi Special’. At the end AB scored 216/8 in 40 overs. Good start for Soranerne in the season and same for me.

I thought BC would be a nice place for me to share my joy and nice moments of first cricketing day here in Denmark. After all, over last few months, I feel, you all are the friends in my lonely away life to share my pleasure of cricket – the sports that we all love so much. Please forgive me for my poor writing as I’m not a professional ;)

I would be happy if our other friends of BC keep this thread alive by writing their own personal cricket experience in different countries all over the world. Please post your experience of fun time with cricket in away life.

Uncle, you should come back and play for BD national team, we could well use for left handers in our squad.

sar2005
May 9, 2006, 01:32 AM
Hahahhaa..........
I am surely an uncle now a days but not a left hander. Also the picture I grabbed is just for the ground and it's not me. Apology for the confusion :rolleyes: .
Will try to capture some in next games :lol:

akabir77
May 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
guys this my elder brother kabir... his allround performance helped their team to win against pakistani xi who is the title contender...
he is the captain of the team and there are australian, WI, Paki and Indi players plays under him...
We have our own team bdtigers also but we only play tape tennies but this is leather ball game.. we have another guy from our team captains another indian team in st. louis....
anyway here is a link
http://www.kccricketclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=20

sar2005
May 10, 2006, 02:14 AM
Nice info. Good show by Kabir. What type of mathes this is? Is it local league? Is there any other BD players playing with your elder brother?

akabir77
May 10, 2006, 06:48 PM
right now to my knowledge he is the only one in 8 teams. That's a Kansas City cricket league which is played in round robin league where each team meets each other twice...

As I said we have team from bangladesh but all of us r not that serious or good for nothing.. as one have to go to practice two day in week then pay for the club membership and buy own gears .....

Anyway If i get a job in kc I might join him too

sufism
May 14, 2006, 11:33 AM
Mr sar2005, can you please enlighten about the popularity of cricket in Denmark. How seriously do the take the game? Is it just the immigrants who play cricket or there are some white Danish people too. Do the ordinary Danish follow big international cricket events, like ashes world cup?? Basically what i am trying to know is how far did cricket get in Denmark. I'll be egerly waiting for your reply. Thank you.

sar2005
May 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
Mr sar2005, can you please enlighten about the popularity of cricket in Denmark. How seriously do the take the game? Is it just the immigrants who play cricket or there are some white Danish people too. Do the ordinary Danish follow big international cricket events, like ashes world cup?? Basically what i am trying to know is how far did cricket get in Denmark. I'll be egerly waiting for your reply. Thank you.

Cricket in Denmark is a bit under-popular game. Football is by far the most popular game. I think DK were very decent in icc cricket in late 80s. But due to the success of football and also due to the dominance of chilled winter season, the young generation is more interested in football. But I think, there are still lot of people who play cricket in DK, specially when you look into their 4 layer cricket leagues (Elite Division, 1st Division, 2nd Division and 3rd Division). Each year 2 teams move up/down from each division. Besides there are lot of U19 and Junior Cricket. But you are absolutely right that most of the players are immigrated PAK and IND people with a mix of other test playing nation’s representative who works or live in DK. A lot of Australians and British people work here and they all are somehow connected to cricket. Most of the team has 3/4 Danish players in the side who are normally the weakest link. So far (playing in 2nd division) what I understood, most of the Danish players take the game as a summer fun. But they do follow some cricket at international level particularly when ENG or AUS is playing. I guess this is because of their friends from those countries who encourage them to enjoy the thrill.

You can know more about DK cricket from http://cricket.dk/dcf_new/home.htm
Unfortunately the site is in Dansk and you may need an internet web translator to understand it ;-(

By the way, my team Soranerne wins today by 7 wickets in a very very low scoring match against Norrebro II. After winning the toss, Norrebro went for batting and scored a mere 45 in 20.4 overs. Our Australian medium pacer Darren took 4 wickets and English left handed seamer got 3 wickets. Soranerne scored 46 for 3 in around 8 overs.

I could not play today due to injury and watched my team winning from side-line ;(

sufism
May 15, 2006, 02:52 PM
sar2005, thnx for the information. good to see that they have a very organised league system. as far as i remember they have a pretty decent national team too. i hope they start a longer version league soon. and if ICC arranged an international event in Dk, the result would be very benifial for the long run.