PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh left on the sidelines

MartinW
May 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
Thought this might be of some interest:-

The announcement of the Future Tours Program by the ICC has been met with mixed reactions. Many have highlighted the abundance of cricket scheduled for India, Australia and England, but less has been said about the lot of Bangladesh.

Under the FTP as it stands, discounting the World Cup, the next 12 months sees Bangladesh play 12 one-day internationals and no Tests. That would be bad enough for a country finding its feet at Test level - and, as Australia found out, doing so quickly - but closer inspection shows that 10 of those ODIs are against Zimbabwe. The other two are even less appetising clashes with Bermuda and Canada.

And then there is the little question of India. Under Jagmohan Dalmiya, the then BCCI supremo, India were at the forefront of advancing Bangladesh as a Test-playing country. However, since then, they have not exactly gone overboard to welcome them for a neighbourly tour. Bangladesh were due to visit in April 2005 but India postponed that to October and then did the same as the revised date approached. The FTP scotched any hopes that was about to change. Although India will tour twice in the next six years, they will not welcome Bangladesh on their own soil.

Full story:

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/246716.html

RazabQ
May 10, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, read it Martin. What can we say. As the lowest rung on the totem pole and being "blessed" with spine-less administrators, we are very much a price-taker on the cricket market. I find it shocking that we could not find either SA or Windies to come for a short tour or even have us visit Windies. I do believe we would be commerically attractive to Windies. Our players were pretty popular there during the last tour and this time I daresay we'd win an ODI or two.

Miraz
May 10, 2006, 01:55 PM
Thank you very much MartinW for pointing out the big brother mentality of BCCI. In fact BCCI wants everything in its own way. They are dominating ICC as India is now the money making ground for the ICC.

After signing record deal with Nimbus BCCI is now crazy to hold as many matches as possible but not showing interest to host Bangladesh in current FTP. Bangladesh's current portfolio in international cricket is the reason.

Well, if Bangladesh becomes a cricketing tiger in coming years, in next FTP after current one India might want to host Bangladesh in as many matches as possible.

We are really waiting for that pay back time.

TheWatcher
May 10, 2006, 02:01 PM
Why only to blame India ? According to the old FTP, NZ supposed to host us in December, and England supposed to visit us in next February. I am wondering why ICC let them get away without fulfilling their old commitments first then to plan new tours.

Miraz
May 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
Why only to blame India ? According to the old FTP, NZ supposed to host us in December, and England supposed to visit us in next February. I am wondering why ICC let them get away without fulfilling their old commitments first then to plan new tours.

I think NZ and Englan fulfilled their commitment as we had played both home and away series against them in last FTP.

Tigers_eye
May 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
Whatever the NZ and Eng board has to say they all have hosted us for atleast once. In 12 years of Test Cricketing, BD would not be visiting India for once (to play a test series). That is something hard for me to swallow. The new fixture I guess over shadows the old one.

sadi
May 10, 2006, 02:15 PM
Poor planning from ICC's part. I mean its not fair for us to sit idle for a whole year before the world cup. We should have as many games as possible and all we have is some odis against zimbabwe. Come on. Something has to be done. Whats the difference between us and kenya then?

Tigers_eye
May 10, 2006, 03:02 PM
Lets see the schedule a bit deeper: (I am excluding the WC and ICC trophy)

I will choose 3 teams schedule (BD, NZ and Aus)
Till end of July of 07:
bd will play:
2 test series (home Ind and away SL)
a total of 18+ ODIs (10 Zim, 3 India, 3 SL, canada and bermuda, + afroasia games) Kenya tour is not confirmed yet

NZ will play:
1 test series (Against SL)
16 ODIs ( 5 vs SL, 8 triseries, 3 Aus)

Australia will play:
2 test series (ashes and Zim)
14 ODIs (8 tri-series, 3 Zim, 3 NZ)

BD schedule is fine according to the # of games. But for quality of games I would leave upto you. One has to add ICC trophy and WC to this.

sadi
May 10, 2006, 03:26 PM
I guess the reason why most people complaining is because we don't have test matches for a year.... I am pretty sure thats not case with australia or NZ... eventhough we are playing the same amount of games, timing matters... they might have a series here and then a break and then another series where we have a long break and then back to back series...

cricket_pagol
May 10, 2006, 03:45 PM
We have too many games against the Zimbos. I will be really disappointed if we lose a single game against the weak Zimbo attack.

SMHasan
May 10, 2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks Martin for coming here and sharing the thought.

Its really very sad that we have not got too many good opponents to play with before the world cup. We needed few matches against India or any other potential teams to build up the confidence for the World Cup but unfortunately its never gonna happen.

As for the test matches its same old story. We were just finiding our feets in this level but we have not got anymore matches until next year that means we might have a negative impact on our test performance. ICC have been pretty idiotic when making the FTP and as usual we have no away test series against the Indians cause they dont wana welcome us. Probably we won't be touring India within next 6 years.But I want our boys give them a very good lesson when we meet them next time.

Go Bangladesh Go!

akabir77
May 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
who gives a [edit] about an indian tour... I hard their supporters burns their own stadium so i think bccb thinks that its not safe to travell there and soon all the other countries will follow

Frost
May 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
It boils down to the problem of - you won't get the job cause you don't have the experience and you won't get the experience cause you don't have a job. Really frustrating for us!!!

al Furqaan
May 10, 2006, 07:56 PM
this is [edit], and as such BCB needs to put up the [edit] and do everything in their power to play matches with anyone who is willing to visit us and have a reciprocating tour.

i have said it before, and i will say it again, forget about the cowards next door who refuse to host us. they aren't worth the [...edited...]. let their BCCI [...edited..] do whatever they have to, its a jungle and we'll hunt them down on the cricket field when it is our time. right now, they have the weight to crush us.

i suggest, organizing something with Pak, WI, RSA and NZ. we play SL almost as often as Zim/Ken so we are pretty good. Australia and England will play as rarely as is scheduled, and thats fine.

n-tiering has begun with 2 tiers: the IND/ENG/AUS tier and everyone else. live with, and work with for a cricket revolution. begging for our place at the ICC table will not work.

jabbar
May 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
well said al Furq. Like your comparison of BCCI to a [...edited...]. Ouch! Hehe!

fwullah
May 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
What I don't understand is why is everyone complaining for having 2 away series this year?

WE STILL HAVE NOT WON ANY SERIES OUTSIDE BANGLADESH. WE STILL HAVE NOT WON A SERIES IN ZIMBABWE. WE STILL HAVE NOT WON A SINGLE MATCH IN KENYA AGAINST THEIR NATONAL TEAM.

These things should matter.

Just think of this scenario - we're complaining for not having a single test match in a whole year, and then we're losing a One Day series in Kenya or Zimbabwe after claiming that we're better in the One Day version of the game. What would that prove?

Ahmed_B
May 11, 2006, 01:27 AM
Just take a look at the numbers.

England playing around 75/76 tests in the next 6 years.. India playing around 74... and BD only 41! Zimbabwe is the lowest in number playing 39. Does BD actually deserves 41 in this scale considering their latest improvement graph? It should have atleast been 50-55 tests in this scale... and that is not an unfair demand.

This new FTP almost looks like the famous 2-tier structure of test cricket... the only difference is that it has a different name. While the 2-tier talk... countries like India/England were demanding BD to be curtailed off the test world ... and this FTP did exactly that for the coming 1 year.

It appears that they chose the 'silent-way' (using the FTP to their wills)just because voicing the issue loudly could not find any grounds.

israr
May 11, 2006, 05:16 AM
ICC AND BCCI, no need to sat anything about them, or else people might not be able to digest my comments

sadi
May 11, 2006, 08:53 AM
Good point Ahmed Bhai. I also think ICC has decided to use the silent method. Not fair.

chisty
May 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
I think ICC did the right thing. How can any body compare BD with India, England or Australia. BD is no way near them. If BD wants more from ICC, don't beg, earn it. If BD can show their performance consistently, one day team like india, eng or aus will be eager to play with BD, what they are doing to each other now.

bharat
May 11, 2006, 09:52 AM
In my opinion BD did not get treated unfairly .Its only been 4-5 years since BD has got its test status , they will get there due in due course of time (inevitably) .By the number of matches they are not far from the rest of the group , infact more than Zim .That itself is a an acievement in such a short span of time .

Also think of it this way ..you could use this time to improove the first class system and by the time this period gets over you might be component enough to beat anyone in the world (including India :-) ).It might be counterproductive if BD plays a lot of matches and end up as the loosing side .

Yes when compared to Eng/Aus/India BD got a lot less .But please remember that these are the matches that generate the most revenue .It is on this revenue that some cricketing boards survive(Bermuda etc ..) .If ICC has to make a global game , it needs revenue and these are the games that generate the most .

Fazal
May 11, 2006, 09:55 AM
I think ICC did the right thing. How can any body compare BD with India, England or Australia. BD is no way near them. If BD wants more from ICC, don't beg, earn it. If BD can show their performance consistently, one day team like india, eng or aus will be eager to play with BD, what they are doing to each other now.

Whatever we are saying is based on what we already earned it being a full ICC member. So there is no question about being begging to ICC. What India or Australia (specially India) are doing is called Hi-jacking, snatching anything they want or can from ICC like a bully and greedy fox. And ICC is acting like a hopeless, helpless and gutless organization.

Tigers_eye
May 11, 2006, 10:05 AM
Bd's test series consist of 2 matches. India, australia and England have 5 match test series almost every other series. That is the only reason the numbers are skewed. These numbers are not permanent. If the boards agree then it can be changed.

Examples: BD is visiting SL in jun-jul 07 to SL for a 2 test and 3 odi tour. Our board should start persuing SL board to make that 3 test series at least.

Similarly, in the return tour of SL in Dec 08-Jan 09 we make it 3 test series.

April 09 we will be visiting WI for 2 test series. easily that can be made 3 test series or even 4 test series.

We will be visiting zim aug 09 for 2 test series. change it to 3.
Dec 2010 we will be hosting them for 2 make it 3.

Instead of sep 2010 we can visit Pak 2 week early and easily change the 2 test series to 3 test series.

In Jan 2012 we will be hosting England where we can easily bump the tour a week early and add another test but their board must agree.

There is your seven (if WI except 4 test series then eight) more tests. 48 is alot more than 41. Our board must act right. They must communicate with the other boards and make it happen. I have checked the schedule all through and none of the extra matches conflict with any other tour for both participating teams. So this can really happen if our board takes the right step, say the right things. Don't have to rely on ICC to bump the numbers.

al Furqaan
May 11, 2006, 10:13 AM
In my opinion BD did not get treated unfairly .Its only been 4-5 years since BD has got its test status , they will get there due in due course of time (inevitably) .By the number of matches they are not far from the rest of the group , infact more than Zim .That itself is a an acievement in such a short span of time .

Also think of it this way ..you could use this time to improove the first class system and by the time this period gets over you might be component enough to beat anyone in the world (including India :-) ).It might be counterproductive if BD plays a lot of matches and end up as the loosing side .

Yes when compared to Eng/Aus/India BD got a lot less .But please remember that these are the matches that generate the most revenue .It is on this revenue that some cricketing boards survive(Bermuda etc ..) .If ICC has to make a global game , it needs revenue and these are the games that generate the most .

we understand your point. i don't really disagree with what you have written in this post, but...

our point is that it doesn't hurt us if the big money games are played or even if they are played 3 times as frequently as us. we need to play some big games. key word: some.

now i understand that 'some' is a subjective word and to you BD playing tests after 1 year is 'some'. while that is semantically true, it is not enough, practically speaking. we must be playing tests and have our domestici FC cricket at the same time. we cannot just be playing in our sub par FC cricket leagues and expect to wow someone in a Test once a year.

bangladesh team, BCB, and fans were never asking/expecting that India/England/Australia play us as often as they play each other. rather we wanted some more games against big opposition. each of the big teams only has to play 1 series a year against bangladesh and bangladesh's calendar would be packed. in fact, that would be too much for us.

so the real issue is about BCCI, CA, and ECB not wanting to help bangladesh. they might not be harming, but in acutality by not helping, they are in a sense harming bangladesh's development.

it is sad that when bangladesh begins to show such promise, others turn their backs on doing the right thing in pursuit of the dollar.

as a final point, let me just say that after 2003 world cup, if such a thing had happened, bangladesh fans would be incensed no doubt, but we would have only our poor, crap performance to blame.

but with recent improvements across the board (yes, even in batting) it appears as though the ball is out of our court.

thanks.

al Furqaan
May 11, 2006, 10:16 AM
cats_eye bhai also made a great point.

Miraz
May 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
Everybody here will agree that Bangladesh should play less cricket compared to Ind/Eng or Aus. Bangladesh being a new test playing nation should try to build their game slowly rather than playing packed schedule. The problem lies elsewhere.

First of all it is a clear injustice to leave Bangladesh out of any test matches for 12 months. It's not helping Bangladesh anyway.

Secondly, current FTP is not showing any away test match series with India which is a clear violation of FTP principles.

Thirdly, the timing of Bangladesh's away matches. For example Bangladesh will tour England in May, which is early summer and when every team struggles in english condition.

In fact, most people are hurt by first two points and their agony is very much valid.

Tigers_eye
May 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
The problem lies elsewhere.
...Secondly, current FTP is not showing any away test match series with India which is a clear violation of FTP principles...

Yes!! I totally agree with you 110% on this one. Great point Miraz Bhai.

Fazal
May 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
What FTP stands for anyway? Faltu Tour Program?

Tigers_eye
May 11, 2006, 12:30 PM
Stands for "File Transfer Protocol." It is a common method of transferring files via the Internet from one computer to another. Some common FTP programs are "Fetch" for the Mac, and "WS_FTP" for Windows. However, you can also use a Web browser like Netscape or Internet Explorer to access FTP servers. To do this, you need to type the URL of the server into the location field of the browser. For example: "ftp://ftp.servername.com/" will give you a listing of all the directories of the FTP server, "ftp://ftp.servername.com/direc... will give you a listing of all the files available in that directory, and "ftp://ftp.servername.com/direc... will download the actual file to your computer. Many FTP servers are "anonymous FTP" servers which means you can log in with the user name "anonymous" and your e-mail address as the password. Other FTP servers require a specific login in order to access the files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sftp... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sftp...)

Ahmed_B
May 11, 2006, 12:38 PM
This part of the post reminds me of a shopping joke.... I'm tempted to write it down:
Joke: The guy to buy a shoe:
A guy goes to a shoe store to buy a pair of shoes... and eventually finds the one he likes. But when he puts it on... it feels a little tighter than he would like.

The salesman says "Well... start wearing it.. and after a week it will fit perfectly and you won't feel any pain then."

The guy instantly is delighted and comes up with a brilliant idea, saying to the salesman "OH... great! Then I will start wearing the shoes from after one week of buying it... that should do the trick!"

The salesman smiles and sells the pair of shoes to the guy. The guy goes home happy.

:)

So by this theory.. because it will take BD another few years to become highly competetive in Test cricket... BD should stop playing test cricket and start again after another few years. That should do the trick... right? ;)

Miraz
May 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
Stands for "File Transfer Protocol." It is a common method of transferring files via the Internet from one computer to another. Some common FTP programs are "Fetch" for the Mac, and "WS_FTP" for Windows. However, you can also use a Web browser like Netscape or Internet Explorer to access FTP servers. To do this, you need to type the URL of the server into the location field of the browser. For example: "ftp://ftp.servername.com/" will give you a listing of all the directories of the FTP server, "ftp://ftp.servername.com/direc... will give you a listing of all the files available in that directory, and "ftp://ftp.servername.com/direc... will download the actual file to your computer. Many FTP servers are "anonymous FTP" servers which means you can log in with the user name "anonymous" and your e-mail address as the password. Other FTP servers require a specific login in order to access the files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sftp... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sftp...)

lol... Can you please send this to Malcom Speed...:lol:

bharat
May 11, 2006, 12:50 PM
This part of the post reminds me of a shopping joke.... I'm tempted to write it down:

:)

So by this theory.. because it will take BD another few years to become highly competetive in Test cricket... BD should stop playing test cricket and start again after another few years. That should do the trick... right? ;)

I think you got me wrong here ...I was talking about the number of matches not hinting at BD stop playing test cricket altogether.

41 test Matches is not a small number .I was at hinting at ..anyway my earlier post would clarify what I was hinting at ..

Cheers :up:

SMHasan
May 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
What FTP stands for anyway? Faltu Tour Program?

Stands for "Faltu Tour Program." It is a common method of transferring cricket teams via the Aeroplane from one country to another. Some common FTP programs are Test cricket for Eng, and Oneday cricket for India. However, you can also use a ship or Dingi to access FTP countries. To do this, you need to take your bag and baggage and have to go to the Airports or you have to go to the terminals like Sadarghat.
Many FTP countries are "anonymous FTP" countries which means you can go there but you have to take the risk for your life. Anonymous FTP countries require specific safety materials in order to survive (you might be attacked by the terrorists!) and other FTP countries dosn't require anything that means they are 100% (?) safe!

Sam
May 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
I have some constructive proposals to come out of this situation so that it will neither bother the top test playing countries nor keep the BD team sit finger crossed:
1. During our tour to Zimbabwe we should arrange to play three or two 5-day "Un-official Test Matches". As I mentioned earlier in another post, unofficial test matches were being played in early days of cricket, even as late as early seventies. As Zimbabwe have declined to play any test matches for a period of one year, I believe they will be very glad to have the practice of test matches without bothering the stats, as they will be totally "unofficial". This will bring good for both the teams. And simillar arrangement can be made when they are going to visit us.
2. BD can arrange 4-day matches against teams like Kenya, Scotland or Ireland during the lean period.
3. BCB should manage with their Australian, English, South African, WI and New Zealand counterparts to arrange for tours of our main team except few senior players like, HB, MR and KM under the name of BCB XI or Tigers XI to play 4-day matches against their top teams of the respective countries.
I believe, all the above proposals are possible and will be not interfering with the FTP by ICC.
I would very much like to know how other members are reacting on these proposals to overcome the situation. If positive, we can write to the BCB as a BC proposal for their consideration.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Frost
May 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
Bharat, 41 is not a small number - it is indeed a HUGE NUMBER compared to 0 in 12 month. I guess, most of us complaining about it. Other than that, we are pointing out some "attitute problem" of some so called great teams.

Miraz
June 17, 2006, 07:30 AM
Now New Zealand is suffering almost the same scenario, only two tests in next 17 months..

From cricinfo,

Martin Snedden, New Zealand Cricket's chief executive, has said that he is not worried about New Zealand's lack of Test cricket (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/250450.html) in the coming year. Between now and November 2007, they only have two Tests scheduled, both against Sri Lanka in December.
"We struggle over the next 24 months with Tests. There isn't much for a while but then we have lots and end up playing about the same amount as Sri Lanka and Pakistan," Snedden explained. "Sure, the amount of cricket we play isn't anywhere near as great as Australia, England and India but there are some commercial influences there.
"The other thing is our programme is quite balanced around player workload, which the others struggle with." In the new Future Tours Program recently announced by the ICC, New Zealand have 47 Tests in the next six years. Only Zimbabwe (39) and Bangladesh (41) will play less.
But the public feedback to Cricinfo has largely been one of frustration, with Snedden and his board being accused of overseeing "the constructive dismissal of Test cricket" from New Zealand.

Sam
June 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
Why not Cricket Bangladesh approach to New Zealand Cricket to arrange for a tour when both are sitting idle? New Zealand may not accept it based on financial reasons!:-/

al Furqaan
June 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
we can ask them to tour for a 3 test series and perhaps some ODIs as well.

lets see if BCB can flex some muscles at someone other than defenseless zimbabwe