PDA

View Full Version : England vs Sri Lanka

midnightz
May 11, 2006, 05:24 AM
any live feeds anywhere anyone? :confused:

sar2005
May 11, 2006, 06:31 AM
Here is the audio link. You need real player to listen from here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportsextra/schedule.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportsextra/schedule.shtml)

sar2005
May 11, 2006, 07:02 AM
England lost their first wicket just few deliveries before the lunch break. Struss got out for 48 (caught by jaya bowled by Murali). England 86/1 at lunch. Trescothick is batting at 30.

al Furqaan
May 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
murali the only wicket taker, all other lanka bowlers bowling just like we did

0-200

pilot fan
May 11, 2006, 02:15 PM
boy i was thinking to day that sir lankas attack apart from the great mullir looks worse than ours mortaza is just below the abilty of vass but shadat and jr are way better then there other bowlers

TheWatcher
May 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
"The only way they'll get a wicket is if the ball hits a brick in the middle of the pitch ... it wouldn't frighten me mum, this bowling."

Geoff Boycott with his take on the Sri Lankan attack

-cricinfo

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2006, 10:49 AM
This guy loves his mom so much that he need to bring her up against every weak team they play. Soon he will start commenting on his grandma. he need to be sacked.

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
The match is over. The middle order collapse has taken any chance for Sri Lanka to draw this match. Follow-on and humiliating defeat is just waiting to happen. Tom Moody has his work cut out. BD did do well last year now come to think of it.

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
The match is over. The middle order collapse has taken any chance for Sri Lanka to draw this match. Follow-on and humiliating defeat is just waiting to happen. Tom Moody has his work cut out. BD did do well last year now come to think of it.

bharat
May 12, 2006, 01:31 PM
I always felt that SL is an overrated side ..BD should aim at SL and WI.I think they both are in BD's grasp .They just need to stretch themselves ...

Remember both the cornerstones --Lara and Murali are bound to retire pretty soon without the adequet firepower to replace them .

Interesting times ahead !!

Yameen
May 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
unlikely it may seem they will avoid follow on, i would like to see Jawardene carry on as much as he can to settle in to the english conditions.

also saw a brill debut from promising sajid mahmood, also would like to see him take 5!

Rob
May 12, 2006, 07:18 PM
This is a very one sided affair :( With the exception of Vaas, Murali, Sanga and Jayawardene every Sri Lanka player has looked out of their depth. Man, 4 ducks in top 6 is abysmal. The seam bowling is rubbish, the batting is weak. England are gonna win this by an innings and plenty. Pietersen was fantastic - what a champ.

Hmm. I haven't posted here for months and it's all change. The software is good but the forum slower :(

prasad
May 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6695989255115646/sajid_chucks/

another pelter...

akabir77
May 13, 2006, 01:26 AM
hmm bangladesh did better but now they r saying the bowling is good...i wonder why???

TheWatcher
May 13, 2006, 03:01 AM
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6695989255115646/sajid_chucks/

It sure looked like chucking :down:

Huda
May 13, 2006, 04:02 AM
It sure looked like chucking :down:

looking doesnt mean anything nowadays, we all know the murali scenario, but yes it does like he does extend his arm a bit.

Rob
May 13, 2006, 02:33 PM
I think it is rather inconclusive although I am not writing it off. Anyone have a side on view?

TheWatcher
May 13, 2006, 06:47 PM
Heh, inconclusive- the word always reminds me of Geraint Jones :rolleyes:

TheWatcher
May 13, 2006, 07:15 PM
Aravinda blasts Sri Lanka Cricket

No penetrative bowlers, no variety, technical deficiencies, mental weakness. Same old same old. Talking up Sri Lanka's compensatory strengths as much as possible isn't going to hide the fact that, so far, Sri Lanka just haven't been up to it. And unless nothing changes, they never will be.

Sri Lanka will always struggle in England whenever they do not play a Test in August because our batsmen from schoolboy level upwards are not exposed to an adequate preparatory syllabus. On our wickets, yes, even Geoffrey Boycott's mum could make runs. But with our coaching system and cricket set-up, not even Michael Holding could become a champion fast bowler.

We've got by for a long time on individual brilliance. But those individuals can't play forever. Calls for Sanath Jayasuriya's return are credible, but papering over the cracks isn't going to hide the fact that faced with a ball moving sideways at pace Sri Lanka's batsmen are in trouble. Even the performances against India and Pakistan on the subcontinent in recent series have proved that. Our under-19 team crashed out of the World Cup (at home) early. Sri Lanka's A-team, on a tour of Bangladesh last month, could not dominate.

More.... (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/theobserver/story/0,,1774586,00.html)

Ak
May 14, 2006, 05:25 PM
Great comeback from SL - Too bad Bangladesh didnt do that last year - btw SL are not overated - just look at that 2nd Innings. I dout we wud ave done that - brillaint from the Sri Lankans!

mhferdaus
May 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
If the Lankans get their forms back not even Aussies could stand in front of them, and if Pakistan were consistent ( performers ) they would also be chasing for no. 1 spot instead of 3 and 4, If WI would have Ambrose and Walsh back others would shiver.

ok too much woulda shoulda coulda, got to stop ... :D

abherath
May 16, 2006, 01:40 AM
"The only way they'll get a wicket is if the ball hits a brick in the middle of the pitch ... it wouldn't frighten me mum, this bowling."

Geoff Boycott with his take on the Sri Lankan attack

-cricinfo
He could have said the same of England's bowling in the end. The 9th wicket pair of SL adding 61 in the first and 105 in the second was ample testimony.

Time he took his proverbial mom to the cleaners !

abherath
May 16, 2006, 01:50 AM

It wasn't really so in the end, was it ?

abherath
May 16, 2006, 01:52 AM
I always felt that SL is an overrated side ..BD should aim at SL and WI.I think they both are in BD's grasp .They just need to stretch themselves ...

Remember both the cornerstones --Lara and Murali are bound to retire pretty soon without the adequet firepower to replace them .

Interesting times ahead !!

Well, you've got it all wrong with Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is not just Murali.

abherath
May 16, 2006, 01:54 AM
This is a very one sided affair :( With the exception of Vaas, Murali, Sanga and Jayawardene every Sri Lanka player has looked out of their depth. Man, 4 ducks in top 6 is abysmal. The seam bowling is rubbish, the batting is weak. England are gonna win this by an innings and plenty. Pietersen was fantastic - what a champ.

Hmm. I haven't posted here for months and it's all change. The software is good but the forum slower :(

Well, how about 6 fifties and a century in the second innings ? How about bating 2 1/2 days and taking the match beyond England's reach ?

Tigers_eye
May 16, 2006, 09:38 AM
It wasn't really so in the end, was it ?
Where is my humble pie? I have ordered it but don't know why the delay...

Out of the world performance. The first innings if the Lankans played ordinary (except the captain and the tail) then in the second innings they batted extra-ordinary. To bat for 3 and half days and still wickets to spare.. Now the English must rethink their strategy. Congratulations for the brilliant, magnificent, superb, excellent, tremendous, awesome, fantastic, outstanding, exceptional, top-class, sparkling, dazzling, inspired team effort by the Lions.

Ak
May 16, 2006, 10:04 AM
Yeh it was an amazing performance from Sri Lanka - just goes to show that it aint over until the fat lady sings or in England's case it aint over until you get all 20 wickets and start catching!:lol:

Fazal
May 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
The effect of an innings like this goes beyond this one test or even beyond this series. Kudos to Sri Lankan for this kind of fight back. It reminds me of Pak-vs-India series in India couple of years ago. The 2nd Innings fightback by two players (Razzak and Akmal) not only saved the test for PAK by changed the momentum completely in favour of Pakistan not only for TEST (1-1) series but also the ODI in that year.

Even Sri is a weaker team on paper, I expect much better performance from Sri Lanka from now on in this series.

Tipu
May 16, 2006, 02:41 PM
there's a good deal in cricketspot site. if u buy india vs west indies you get to watch sl vs eng free when there's no match between india vs west indies.
quality speed is 500 kbps.
www.cricketspot.com (http://www.cricketspot.com)

Stumped
May 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
If the Lankans get their forms back not even Aussies could stand in front of them, and if Pakistan were consistent ( performers ) they would also be chasing for no. 1 spot instead of 3 and 4, If WI would have Ambrose and Walsh back others would shiver.

ok too much woulda shoulda coulda, got to stop ... :D

Lanka and Paki are a couple of the most leathal teams... if they played as a team. It should be a fight for no 1 between the two and aussie. Moody still has his work cut out for him with lanka. Every coach has alot of work to do. The lankans need a mental boost. I dunno y they are all over the place of late. Quite upsetting... they have the potential to do so well.

abherath
May 18, 2006, 01:13 AM
Where is my humble pie? I have ordered it but don't know why the delay...

Out of the world performance. The first innings if the Lankans played ordinary (except the captain and the tail) then in the second innings they batted extra-ordinary. To bat for 3 and half days and still wickets to spare.. Now the English must rethink their strategy. Congratulations for the brilliant, magnificent, superb, excellent, tremendous, awesome, fantastic, outstanding, exceptional, top-class, sparkling, dazzling, inspired team effort by the Lions.

Thanks Cats_eye. You don't have to eat any pie. You just expressed your opinion.

In Bangladesh and Sri Lanka we share the same passion for cricket. In Bangladesh you have a team which is coming up like Sri Lanka did. It will be good to see the Tigers as the fourth South Asian force in cricket.

Miraz
May 25, 2006, 06:33 AM
Srilanka in deep deep trouble in the first day of the second test.

Current Score 46/5, half an hour to go before lunch.

sar2005
May 25, 2006, 06:45 AM
JayaB won the toss first time in his six mathes as a captain and decided to bat. What a desaster.

57/5 - 4 slips in place...............Hogard to bowl to Dilshan

Miraz
May 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
At lunch Srilanka 65/6.

Disaster after winning toss and after first test's fine performance.

Miraz
May 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
Dilshan Gone!! Srilanka 79/7. http://www.cricketworld.com/forum//smileys/smiley19.gif

prasad
May 25, 2006, 08:27 AM
8 down now.100 looking doubtful

mhferdaus
May 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
Man SriLanka got to work on their batting, they can not expect to dig themselves out in the 2nd innings always.

Captain
May 25, 2006, 01:47 PM
<TABLE class=sct1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=c>Sri Lanka 1st Innings (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm#SriLanka1)
141 all out (51.2 overs)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=c>England 1st Innings (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm#England1)
138 for 3 (34.0 overs)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Jayewardena's big ton in the 2nd Inngs saved them in the 1st Test.Who will be the saviour this time or Eng's going to take this away from them.Test match gives a 2nd opportunity,that's the beauty of it.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 08:56 AM
Srilanka again struggling in the final test.
Sri Lanka 139/7

Started well after initial loss of vandort but a wrong decision by Darrel Hair started the collapse. Jasyasurya made just 4 in his test return.

PoorFan
June 2, 2006, 09:24 AM
What happen to this Srilanka team these days! Very poor performance like BD ( most of the time ).

Sovik
June 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
They are in a decent position considering the collapse. and murali is also showing something with his bat

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
29 extra and counting in two sessions. That never happened against us.

Mr-Cricket
June 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
Murali's on fire. He was 22* off 7 balls at one stage. 32* off 25 right now. SL's recovered from 9-169 to 9-228. Fair effort.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 11:12 AM
Muralitharan gone for 33, Srilanka all out for 231.

Murali magic with bowling may keep Srilanka in the game.

Fazal
June 2, 2006, 12:11 PM
No fun watching and supporting Sri Lanka any more. Its too much to ask for for a Bangladeshi cricket fan.

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 12:16 PM
No fun watching and supporting Sri Lanka any more. Its too much to ask for for a Bangladeshi cricket fan.
Who says?? England 41/2. The openers are gone. :)

Sovik
June 3, 2006, 03:49 PM
if srilanka could take the score above 250, england will find the series 1-1.

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 09:30 AM
5 wickets for murali. England in deep trouble. the series will be definitly 1-1

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 10:01 AM
"Nice performance by Murali getting cheap English wickets." - S Warne.

I just wonder what he would say next Mr. "my mom gave those pills".

Captain
June 5, 2006, 10:07 AM
A fantastic comeback by Sri-Lankans ...it's definitely going to be 1-1.Only rain can save Eng.

bharat
June 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
Oh Man !! This Murali is the greatest ever ...:up:

Too Bad he is not among the "elite" Eng or Aussie ..Otherwise he would have been called the above long back.

Wish India could have this great !!

Hats off to him !! well done Lanka :up:

Mr-Cricket
June 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
England's clearly lost the plot? :confused:

Mr-Cricket
June 5, 2006, 10:23 AM
Oh no! Hoggard Run-out! There goes Murali's 10-fa!

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
June 5, 2006, 10:59 AM
Go Go muraliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...................

UUffffffffffffffffff run out!damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! murali would have 10 wickets in innings...........sure...........

cannt he teach some techniques to our bd offspinners!

murali u r the boss

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
June 5, 2006, 11:06 AM
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Srilanka has won the match by 134 run.............hurray
the series is level now 1-1

chasing target 325....they have been dismissed at 190

Muraitharan u r great hero....

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 11:07 AM
great effort by the sri lankans. murali is the man. if sri lankan batsman could score few more runs in 2nd test and gave england to chase above 200, england would have lost the series

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 11:18 AM
simply unbelievable. hats off to the SL team. Murali, Dilshan everyone.

Fazal
June 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Great !!!!

Thats called fight-back against all odds.

mhferdaus
June 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
Great !!!!

Thats called fight-back against all odds.

Congrats to one of my most favorite team :):):)

mac
June 5, 2006, 12:59 PM
This is the best spin bowling that i have ever seen out side the sub-continent. Sri Lanka's next tour to England is in 2010. So Murali is enjoying his last visit to England in style.:up: :flag:

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
Murali, the great magician shows his ability. England was crusing fine at 80/0 and then suddenly 125/6 and finally dismissed for 190.

Muralithran is the key here and he was simply superb in his effort. The pitch was fairly well but Murali can turn the match in any pitches. This is another bold signature from the magician. He ended his last tour in England in style!!

Hats off! to Murali and Srilanka.

al Furqaan
June 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
just think when murali and vaas retire...vaas is already a shadow of his former self

Hatebreed
June 6, 2006, 01:28 AM
Looks like Murali done it again! God is this guy ever gonna quit!!

Well at least we know "We" are not the worst case scenario after all, against SL for that matter, considering how Murali turned a weak SL into a one man army and defeat the same England that beat India at home not so long ago. Now I feel better knowing what Murali did to us was nothing to be embarassed of, not even in the words of Mr. Shane Warne who attacked Murali for taking "cheap" wickets. Go say that to the same team that beat you in Ashes, fatty!

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 11:14 AM
I think the following cartoon is the perfect summary of the 3rd test

http://www.cricbuzz.com/templates/cbtemplate/cartoons/images/2006/jun/06murali_magic.jpg

Sovik
June 7, 2006, 03:45 PM
Warne talks about murali getting cheap wickets against bangladesh and zimbabwe but never say anything about those cheaper wickets he got against England and south africa. If murali played as many test as warne played against England, murali might have got fifty more wickets by now

abdulw11
June 7, 2006, 04:44 PM
All this talk about Murali (and rightly so!) but what about Monty Panesar? I'm not talking about his five wicket haul but his batting. Monty got 26 off 28 balls by sweeping the ball and hit an impressive 6 against Murali establishing himself as a crowd hero of that England innings.

But Murali... what a legend!

abherath
June 8, 2006, 02:39 AM
just think when murali and vaas retire...vaas is already a shadow of his former self

When Murali goes, when Sanath goes, there will be others coming up. We already see signs of this. Upul Tharanga, Van Dort, Kapugedara, Mahela Udawatta, Malinga Bandara, Lasith Malinga and a host of others who have not played for SL yet.

Greats like Duleeps Mendis, Roy Dias, Sidath, Tony Opatha, DS de Silva, Ajith de Silva, Arjuna, Aravinda, Ashantha, Ravi, Rumesh, Roshan, Asanka, Kaluwitharana have all gone but we still have a team which can beat England and draw a series with them, in England. How many teams could do that during this part of the English season ? Even Australia would be hard pressed to do that.

Murali is truly a great but when he goes that won't be the end of Sri Lankan cricket.

Sri Lanka will never be kept down.

Sovik
June 8, 2006, 06:19 AM
Sri Lanka will never be the same after murali retires. at least in test cricket. he is a great bowler and a great cricketer

abherath
June 8, 2006, 07:59 AM
Sri Lanka will never be the same after murali retires. at least in test cricket. he is a great bowler and a great cricketer

Yes, certainly Murali is an all-time great. So was Bradman. See where Australia is without him today.

:)

However, there is no doubt that Murali is one of the best bowlers not only Sri Lanka but also the whole world has ever produced. He is already a living legend. What is more important is his contribution to uplift the living standards of poor and deprived people, including Tsunami victims.

Sovik
June 8, 2006, 08:21 AM
without bradman australia had many greats. and sri lanka don't have many great bowlers at the moment. malinga, bandara, mahroof are good but they are not match winners

Tigers_eye
June 8, 2006, 09:23 AM
Any batsmen (current or past) can not be compared with the shadow of Bradman, let alone Bradman himself. Similarly, any bowler (current or past) can not be compared with Murali. There may be better SL teams in the future but surely there won't be another Murali. These people come once in a lifetime deal. As for Vass, I have not seen any bowler working so hard to make him better than what he was. His heart is as big as the best SL had produced. Mahroof, Bandara, Malinga all 3 combined can't equal the out put of Vass. May be in next 5 years they will come close.

Once he retires, I am sure he will start working with young kids and seeds would be put in the right place to produce bowlers better than Vass. Just like Imran did to get Waqar, Wasim, Akib. Now Akib did to get Shoaib, Rana, Asif.