PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh to tour Zimbabwe in July

Sam
May 21, 2006, 01:41 PM
At last some cricket news ended the dull days of cricketless season.
Bangladesh is going to prepaare for their hard earn (by insisting ZC) tour to Zim in July-August, 2006. This is really a good news and let us wake up and make the forum "shor-garam" again.
Here goes the news:
Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has finally agreed to host Bangladesh in July-August for a five-match one-day series.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) received the confirmation letter from their Zimbabwe counterpart on Saturday after a disagreement about scheduling over the last few days.

It was long before decided and included in the recently revealed ICC (International Cricket Council) six-year future tour programme (FTP) that the Tigers would visit in July for five one-dayers but Zimbabwean authority was pressing to host the series in September citing some internal problems.

But Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) gave the go-ahead following BCB's strong stance to play the series on schedule. The BCB had recently sent a pressing letter to the ZC.

The tour was earlier expected to start in mid July but they now expressed their desire to start it from last week of the month.
It was learnt that BCB was not totally satisfied with the itinerary forwarded by the Zimbabweans terming it a tight one and they will request them to extend the gap between the matches...

Meanwhile, chief selector Faruque Ahmed informed that the national camp for the tour is likely to start from June 2 which was actually scheduled to kick off on May 22 but had been postponed due to dilly-dally of the Zimbabwe Cricket.

A 19 member preliminary squad is expected to be announced for the camp where two or three new faces are not unlikely.
Coach Dav Whatmore will return on May 28 after enjoying a holiday at home while captain Habibul Bashar, on a personal trip to Singapore, was expected to return last night.
http://thedailystar.net/2006/05/22/d60522040128.htm

Aritro
May 22, 2006, 04:24 AM
Be nice if some 4 or 5 day matches against an A Team could be organised as well at some stage.

Ishtylish cricketer
May 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
I agree with Aritro. But this tour of Zimbawae will tough as Bd will have to play 5 ODIs in 8 days. I expect a whitewash. Anything less will be disappointing. I wish we played 5 tests against Zimbawae that way we could have climbed up the ladder in the ICC test ranking.

Mr-Cricket
May 22, 2006, 08:05 AM
Can't understand why the BCB chose to ignore Zimbabwe's requests to push back this series another month. As it stands, most of Zimbabwe's top players may be unavailable due to County Cricket commitments. What is it that the BCB desire? Easy wins or competitive Cricket? :confused:

I expect a whitewash... I wish we played 5 tests against Zimbawae that way we could have climbed up the ladder in the ICC test ranking.
We need to approach every game as we would any other. This kind of attitude (that things will just take care of themselves) will get us no-where. Nothing can be taken as a given thesedays.

pilot fan
May 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
this is great news cricket at last

Albanycrew
May 22, 2006, 01:57 PM
I don't get this at all........ even the present Zimbabwe team has atleast 8 players contracted to play club cricket in England. How come we have only Ashraful playing there.....and he is playing in a corn field. Can someone plz explain to me ..... it seems like all the cricket clubs in England think that every player from present Zimbabwe team is better than anyone from BD team .... or is it the failure of BCB???

Can't understand why the BCB chose to ignore Zimbabwe's requests to push back this series another month. As it stands, most of Zimbabwe's top players may be unavailable due to County Cricket commitments. What is it that the BCB desire? Easy wins or competitive Cricket? :confused:

We need to approach every game as we would any other. This kind of attitude (that things will just take care of themselves) will get us no-where. Nothing can be taken as a given thesedays.

sonarbangla
May 22, 2006, 02:02 PM
hmm i think its englands fault of judging bd players.. actually i think those england peepz don really like us, the south asians.. :( to be honest, u don really see tht much south asian player goes there to play.. unless they are really famous and stuff, and compare to us, the white ppl gets more in their team.. i don like UK because of tht.. look at canada or US.. brown ppl has more say in these countries.. but its totally opposite in countries like Australia or England.. am i wrong?!

Albanycrew
May 22, 2006, 02:11 PM
hmm i think its englands fault of judging bd players.. actually i think those england peepz don really like us, the south asians.. :( to be honest, u don really see tht much south asian player goes there to play.. unless they are really famous and stuff, and compare to us, the white ppl gets more in their team.. i don like UK because of tht.. look at canada or US.. brown ppl has more say in these countries.. but its totally opposite in countries like Australia or England.. am i wrong?!

I don't know whether you are wrong or right.... but most players in present Zimbabwe team are black... so your theory might not hold much water in this case.

sonarbangla
May 22, 2006, 02:14 PM
mm.. yeah guess so.. how abot browns? black and brown are not the same

TheWatcher
May 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't get this at all........ even the present Zimbabwe team has atleast 8 players contracted to play club cricket in England. How come we have only Ashraful playing there.....and he is playing in a corn field.
Those Zimbabweans are not necessarily playing for premier clubs either. Taibu is playing for Pyrford, which is a second division club in Surrey Championship; Dion Ebrahim is playing for Old Hamptonians, a fifth division club in the same league. My guess is that the current Zimbabwean national players won't get any better opportunity than those two above mentioned got.

Hasib
May 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
Remember this is not goin to be such a walk in the park as some of u think. Remember we are now on their hometurf.... mind u we have no choice BUT to win.

Andy-Flower
May 23, 2006, 02:08 AM
I agree with Aritro. But this tour of Zimbawae will tough as Bd will have to play 5 ODIs in 8 days. I expect a whitewash. Anything less will be disappointing. I wish we played 5 tests against Zimbawae that way we could have climbed up the ladder in the ICC test ranking.

^^
I dont think its going to be as easy as y'all think...i must admit Zim will be feilding probably the weakest team in as many years but these guys do have the talent to cause a few upsets..f which im not sure whether beating Bangladesh is regarded an upset especially looking at a record like this

Total Matches - 18
Zimbabwe won - 14
Bangladesh won - 4
Tied/No Result - 0

Of course records dont say a lot but cricket is very psychological in a Big way, by reading at most of your posts i can tell you fancy your chances more against Zimbabwe, the same is also true vice versa. The 5-0 thrushing by West Indies does not in any way give BD the upper hand...This tour will be a new tour and Zim will approach it differently. Im not saying you wont win because you might..but its not going to be a stroll in the park.

ialbd
May 23, 2006, 02:23 AM
ooo a zimbabwean fan in the forum>>> atleast the forum postings wont be one-sided..

wellcome to banglacricket my friend...
________
Babi mac break away (http://babimac.com/)

istiak
May 23, 2006, 02:32 AM

The scenario of Zim players playing in Eng is not so simple. All white Zimbabweans have got a dual citizenship and can play for English teams as local player without any quota problem and that’s not the case for us. Moreover you just can’t compare Canada or US because both of those countries are actually full of immigrants and not like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=England</st1:country-region> with <st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">England.</st1:country-region> All most all the brown/black/yellow and white players playing in US or <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> are local. Unfortunately the local brown British population spends most of their time inside restaurant kitchen and hardly participate any games. Having more than a million strong south asian population in Eng only managed to produce two premiership players.

Moreover about 10% of Zimb population is stilll white and even after all these mudslinging Zimb still have better people to people contact with England.

istiak
May 23, 2006, 02:37 AM
20.5 Manjural Islam Rana to Flower, FOUR, comes down the track and lofts
it away to the mid wicket fence, couple of bounce and over the
rope

Poor!! No SIX by any Zimbabweans against BD?<!-- / sig -->

Andy-Flower
May 23, 2006, 02:40 AM
Thanx man, im really looking forward to this series...i've already submited my leave days so that i can be at all five matches. We are in winter this side so rain is not gonna destruct any match..so we will enjoy 400+ overs of cricket...

Andy-Flower
May 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
20.5 Manjural Islam Rana to Flower, FOUR, comes down the track and lofts
it away to the mid wicket fence, couple of bounce and over the
rope

Poor!! No SIX by any Zimbabweans against BD?<!-- / sig -->

HA HA HA LOL..i was looking for an Andy flower SIX but since he was a middle order batsmen the game was usually over before he went in to play, because back in the days you guys used to be weak..was really impressed by how you took the game to the Aussies in the last series

Tigers_eye
May 23, 2006, 12:04 PM
1st I thought this was the real andy flower (from the username) but now I see he is just a street cricketer :)

Welcome to Banglacricket forum Andy Flower. Enjoy your stay.

mhferdaus
May 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
1st I thought this was the real andy flower (from the username) but now I see he is just a street cricketer :)

Welcome to Banglacricket forum Andy Flower. Enjoy your stay.
yup it is confusing

EDIT : so is the color coding, in south asia alone you will find people with different body-skin colors.

AsifTheManRahman
May 23, 2006, 02:19 PM

this is the kind of attitude i was talking about in the "Coming to Toronto" thread ;)

blame it on others when you don't take the proper approach yourself :)

mhferdaus
May 23, 2006, 02:22 PM
this is the kind of attitude i was talking about in the "Coming to Toronto" thread ;)

blame it on others when you don't take the proper approach yourself :)

hmm, as a matter of fact the rainhill fan club seemed quite friendly to Ashraful, seriously you do not think that we have no english cricketer in our leagues only becuase of us hating them do you?

AsifTheManRahman
May 23, 2006, 02:31 PM
haha..well no, not that. what i was trying to say is that there is no point in blaming the english as being racist. we are still a young team and it is understandable that our players will not get noticed if they don't perform more regularly. yes, we do have good players and maybe they do deserve better than clubs like Rainhill, but considering the current state of our cricket, i think the board could do a lot better to see if it can arrange something with better English clubs.

The fact remains that unless we perform better and on a regular basis, our players will go unnoticed.

The bright side is that we ARE improving, and hopefully our players will earn better contracts after the world cup. :)

So it is more of a failure on our side than racist actions by the clubs that our players dont make it to quality leagues.

Nasif
May 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
can't wait for the tour,

LateCut
May 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
Bangladesh A in Zimbabwe, 2006
Bangladesh name A squad for Zimbabwe
Cricinfo staff
May 24, 2006
Bangladesh have named a 15-man A squad for their tour of Zimbabwe which starts next month. Tushar Imran leads the party with Mushfiqur Rahim as his vice-captain.
The tour runs from June 12 to July 10 and the squad includes Nafees Iqbal, who scored a memorable 141 against Australia on their recent tour. Internationals Tapash Baisya, Hasibul Hossain, Enamul Haque and Alok Kapali also make the trip.
Rahim was the captain of Bangladesh at the Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka and was recalled for one Test against Sri Lanka before again being left out.
Squad Tushar Imran (capt), Mushfiqur Rahim, Alok Kapali, Nafees Iqbal Khan, Nazmus Sadat, Mehrab Hossain, Shakib Al Hasan, Forhad Reza, Abdur Razzak Raj, Enamul Haque, Mahmud Ullah Riad, Tapash Baishya, Hasibul Hossain, Shafaq Al Jabir, Mahbubul Alam
© Cricinfo

sadi
May 24, 2006, 11:21 AM
Good squad.... good to see mehrab, sakib and shafaq getting a chance in the A team... some good performances and we might see sakib or mehrab in the next tour for the national team... hasibul is back which he deserved after a tremendous season...

akabir77
May 24, 2006, 06:16 PM
alright... game is on.....

areyoushpongled?
May 27, 2006, 04:12 AM
I hope that we can give them a good thrashing to show that we are a class above. 5-0 is not unrealistic IMO. But if we do win easily, some of the results will be mis-nomers. Just because someone crashes two tons against Zimbabwe doesn't mean they're good enough to do so vs anyone else.

Sam
June 1, 2006, 09:32 AM
Bangladesh A in Zimbabwe, 2006
Bangladesh name A squad for Zimbabwe
Cricinfo staff
May 24, 2006
Bangladesh have named a 15-man A squad for their tour of Zimbabwe which starts next month. Tushar Imran leads the party with Mushfiqur Rahim as his vice-captain.
The tour runs from June 12 to July 10 and the squad includes Nafees Iqbal, who scored a memorable 141 against Australia on their recent tour...© Cricinfo
CI have mixed up with the name "Nafees". Shahriar NAfees scored the ton against Australia, not Nafees Iqbal.:)

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
June 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
Can u remember the last oneday match played by Zimbabwe at Bangladesh! What a tornedo was made by Aftab and Rafique!!!.......now they will watch another by Shahriar nafees.

MartinW
June 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
The scenario of Zim players playing in Eng is not so simple. All white Zimbabweans have got a dual citizenship and can play for English teams as local player without any quota problem and that’s not the case for us.

This is right. The rules in most leagues are that anyone holding a European passport is classed as a domestic player unless they have played full internationals before the first played in the UK. So many Zimbabweans/Australians/South Africans with European Community ancestors are classified as "domestic".

To claim racism is just looking for an excuse. Many clubs emply players from the subcontinent. The most common, in my experience, are from Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The thing is that the players have to show some track record, and rightly or wrongly, a first-class record from those countries counts more as one from Bangladesh. That will change in time, but it's nothing to do with racism and more to do with hard-up clubs wanting to know what they are spending.

What is interesting is that not one of the Zimbabwe players has landed a job with a top league club. The best is Taibu who is struggling with a Surrey Championship second division side. That gives an idea of the standards ... it's not jazz hat or easy cricket. The clubs can pay big bucks and want a guaranteed return. The more Bangladeshis who come over and prove themselves, the easier it will be for others. It was like this with Sri Lankans when I played in the 1980s. Things will change but it takes time.

RazabQ
June 5, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hey Martin, can you guys fix the Nafis Iqbal -141 mistake please? Cheers.

sonarbangla
June 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
:D the only good thing about this series is tht, now we canadian or american's bangladeshis will be able to watch the full match.. awww.. its gonna take place in the morning Canadian time .. i am so happy about tht..

SMHasan
June 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
:D the only good thing about this series is tht, now we canadian or american's bangladeshis will be able to watch the full match.. awww.. its gonna take place in the morning Canadian time .. i am so happy about tht..

If anyone shows the matches only then u can watch my friend :)

sonarbangla
June 13, 2006, 11:31 PM
lol.. amra nejerai abar dakhanor chinta bhabna korchi bhaiah. jodi sob kichu thik thak thake tahole amader pokkho theke abar sob khela sorasori dakhano hobe. :) dua rakhben. kono positive news thakle ami obossoi apnader janabo.

sonarbangla
June 13, 2006, 11:44 PM
however, back to the topic guys..

well i think bd should whie wash zim, since zim lost to kenya few days ago, whereas, bd just crashed em so badly. hmm.. and the positive thing is, kenya was never able to make over 250 against bangladesh, but they did make a quite good scores against ZIM in their last series. :)

and welcome flower. nice to see a ZIM fan among us..

israr
July 8, 2006, 03:34 PM
welcome Andy Flower, support you team till the very end.

One question: Are you originally a Zimbabwean or just a different national only supporting Zimbabwe?

Sam
July 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
We are waiting for the Andy's posts during the tour as a different insight.

mohd azam
July 14, 2006, 09:15 AM
you cont say till the match finish

so no need to check old record

Sam
July 17, 2006, 08:35 AM
Team Bangladesh are preparing well for their African tour. Yesterday was their last practice match against Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) National Academy, when some of the players showed their outstanding form.
Aftab's run-a-ball 118 and Rajin's patient 55 were really good to watch. On the other hand Tamim scored 96 runs against the full BD team, which is praiseworthy.

SS
July 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
Some of the national team players' did great...on the other hand it's against BCB cricket academy and yet our star players(except few) did noticeable performance.

al Furqaan
July 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
On the other hand Tamim scored 96 runs against the full BD team, which is praiseworthy.

this is quite impressive...imagine a lefty sehwag opening with SN...i can't wait to see that. i am starting to give up on tamim's older brother. and nafees is still about a light year and a half ahead of JO