PDA

View Full Version : Asia cup delayed again!!!

LateCut
May 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
Asia Cup
Asia Cup delayed until April 2008
Cricinfo staff
May 21, 2006
The Asian Cricket Council (ACC) have stated that the Asia Cup has again been deferred until April 2008. This is the second time the tournament has been postponed after India's hectic schedule prevented the 2006 Cup from taking place in February.
"It was sad that the ninth Asia Cup had to be postponed but the executive board meeting has agreed to host the event in the second week of April in 2008," Ashraful Huq, ACC's chief executive said.
India complained that their schedule earlier in the year simply didn't allow the time for another one-day tournament. After touring Pakistan, they were due to play the Asia Cup before hosting England which, the administrators felt, could have led to player burnout.
"We honoured India's request despite suffering financial losses but we hope the event will now be held regularly," Huq said.
Defending champions Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, the United Arab Emirates and Oman will take part in the tournament. Pakistan has never hosted the event due to political tensions with India but were given the hosting rights after both countries resumed their bilateral cricketing ties in 2004. Sri Lanka hosted the last edition of the Asia Cup two years ago.

SMHasan
May 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
Very sad news. I think its the time to decide whether to keep this tournamnet in the calender at all cause if no one wants to host it and can't give the time then let's skip this series.
I am just sick of the the Indian, Pakistani and Lankan attitudes.

LateCut
May 21, 2006, 09:22 PM
Funny thing is that Ashraful Haq said that ACC accepted India's request despite suffering financial losses. Isn't that surprising? ACC accepts it so that BCCI can make more money elsewhere. BCCIs attiture was even more transperent in its rfusal to host BD. The fact of the mater is that BCCI is ACC or at aleast good chunk of it.

TheWatcher
May 22, 2006, 02:01 AM
I think we should cut BCCI some slack here. ICC Champion's trophy, 20/20 WC, Afro-Asia matchs, Asia Cup- there are just too many fund raising events for international organizations now, on top of already packed binational schedules. So, I think it is fair that individual boards are asking to organize those events during their break periods.

cricket_pagol
May 22, 2006, 02:36 AM
It's like you were supposed to have dinner at my place sometime. I call you up and say "I cannot do this week, why don't you come over next week". Then when next week comes, I inform you that I have scheduled all these dinners with other friends... so dinner has to cancelled again. But, the funny thing is that i don't expect you to be mad at me.

Miraz
May 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
Afro- Asia cup orginially scheduled in september is also put off and is rescheduled to June 2007. Africa will host the event instead of India.

From Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/248054.html)

LateCut
May 22, 2006, 08:35 AM
BCCI has wiggled out of its commitment to host BD by virtue of the new 6yr plan. Mark my word, Asia cup will find similar fate.

cricbb
May 24, 2006, 07:17 AM
i doubt if it will ever be played at this current rate.