PDA

View Full Version : Ask CricketGuru

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
I am starting a new thread. It's a fun thread. The rule is very simple.

1. Anyone can become a CricketGuru and ask a question which felow members will try to answer.
2. Once the question is correctly answered the CricketGuru will acknowledge that and any member can post a new question and take the role of CricketGuru.
3. Please do not post a new question before the current question is answered.
4. Question should be cricket related.
5. Member who will take the role as the cricket guru should acknowledge the correct answer when it is posted.

So, as the strater of the thread I take the opportunity to become the first CricketGuru.

My question is

1. Who holds the record for highest first class score for Bangladesh?

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 09:43 AM
I know it's not a difficult question. Come one anyone answer it and let the fun begin.

abdulw11
May 30, 2006, 10:07 AM
1. Who holds the record for highest first class score for Bangladesh?

Habibul Bashar

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks abdulw11 for your answer and it's a correct one. His score of 224 for Biman against Khulna is the highest one.

Well done !!

Now, the next question is

1. Who is the first player in the history of test cricket to achieve 100 test caps for his country?

abdulw11
May 30, 2006, 10:27 AM
Is there a rule as to how many questions you can answer in a row?

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 10:43 AM
It's always better to give chance to others to participate :)

Baundule
May 30, 2006, 11:10 AM
1. Who is the first player in the history of test cricket to achieve 100 test caps for his country?
Colin Cowdrey.

If my answer is correct, which i am pretty sure of (thanks to cricinfo), my question is, among BD bowlers, who had the best bowling analysis (in ODI of course) before achieving test status?

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 11:14 AM
Exactly. Thats great.

Very true and he also scored century in that test to become first test batsman to score century in his 100th test.

So, it's the time to ask another question

I'll wait for felow members to post a question.

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
May 30, 2006, 11:38 AM
Colin Cowdrey.

If my answer is correct, which i am pretty sure of (thanks to cricinfo), my question is, among BD bowlers, who had the best bowling analysis (in ODI of course) before achieving test status?

I think its Saiful Islam,medium pacer who took 4 wickets against srilanka

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 11:53 AM
Spot on!! Tendulkar_Mcgrath. Saiful took 4/36 against Srilanka at Sharjah in a match of 1994 Asia Cup.

Congrats!!

Now I am posting another question.

1. Who is the most unfortunate player in the test history who scored a century in his first innings and a fifty in the second innings (of his debut test) and never played any test after that???

sadi
May 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
Rodney Redmond of New Zealand. He scored 107 and 56 in his only test against Pakistan.

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 12:26 PM
Rodney Redmond of New Zealand. He scored 107 and 56 in his only test against Pakistan.

Absolutely correct!!

I thought it will be a bit difficult to find :( . Anyway congratulation Sadi, good find.

here's the list of most unfortunate test players

Players Scoring a Century or Taking 5 Wickets in an Innings in Only Test Match
<TABLE borderColor=silver cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=TableHeadingLeft vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2>Player </TD><TD class=TableHeadingLeft vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2>Country </TD><TD class=TableHeadingLeft vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2>Year </TD><TD class=TableHeadingLeft vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2>Versus </TD><TD class=TableHeadingLeft vAlign=bottom rowSpan=2>Ground </TD><TD class=TableHeadingCentre colSpan=2>Batting </TD><TD class=TableHeadingCentre colSpan=2>Bowling </TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableHeadingRight>1st </TD><TD class=TableHeadingRight>2nd </TD><TD class=TableHeadingRight>1st </TD><TD class=TableHeadingRight>2nd </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#fff8dc><TD align=left>Ashley, W H (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=0098) </TD><TD align=left>South Africa </TD><TD align=left>1889 </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>Newlands </TD><TD align=right>1 </TD><TD align=right>0 </TD><TD align=right>7/95 </TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdab9><TD align=left>Carr, D W (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=0300) </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>1909 </TD><TD align=left>Australia </TD><TD align=left>The Brit Oval </TD><TD align=right>0 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right>5/146 </TD><TD align=right>2/136 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#fff8dc><TD align=left>Ganteaume, A G (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=0589) </TD><TD align=left>West Indies </TD><TD align=left>1948 </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>Queen's Park </TD><TD align=right>112 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdab9><TD align=left>Malone, M F (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=1073) </TD><TD align=left>Australia </TD><TD align=left>1977 </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>The Brit Oval </TD><TD align=right>46 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right>5/63 </TD><TD align=right>1/14 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#fff8dc><TD align=left>Marriott, C S (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=1087) </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>1933 </TD><TD align=left>West Indies </TD><TD align=left>The Brit Oval </TD><TD align=right>0 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right>5/37 </TD><TD align=right>6/59 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdab9><TD align=left>Redmond, R E (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=1451) </TD><TD align=left>New Zealand </TD><TD align=left>1973 </TD><TD align=left>Pakistan </TD><TD align=left>Eden Park </TD><TD align=right>107 </TD><TD align=right>56 </TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#fff8dc><TD align=left>Smith, C A (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=1625) </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>1889 </TD><TD align=left>South Africa </TD><TD align=left>St George's Park </TD><TD align=right>3 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right>5/19 </TD><TD align=right>2/42 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffdab9><TD align=left>Warren, A (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerId=1859) </TD><TD align=left>England </TD><TD align=left>1905 </TD><TD align=left>Australia </TD><TD align=left>Headingley </TD><TD align=right>7 </TD><TD align=right>DNB </TD><TD align=right>5/57 </TD><TD align=right>1/56 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its time to post another question.

Waiting for someone else..

Tigers_eye
May 30, 2006, 12:32 PM
Among the current players who has the highest strike rate (international 20-20 matches only)?

TheWatcher
May 30, 2006, 01:06 PM
Among the current players who has the highest strike rate (international 20-20 matches only)?
Andrew Symonds- 209.75 (20/20)

Tigers_eye
May 30, 2006, 01:12 PM
close but not correct.

abdulw11
May 30, 2006, 02:11 PM

Daryl Tuffey - New Zealand (250.00)

Miraz
May 30, 2006, 06:38 PM

is there any qualification to be counted?? Like no. of runs scored (say at least 50) or no of matches played??

Otherwise abdulw11 is right. Waiting for your response.

Omio
May 31, 2006, 04:24 AM
Minhajjol Abedin Nanho

sadi
May 31, 2006, 07:52 AM
Minhajjol Abedin Nanho

javed omar :lol:

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2006, 08:52 AM
Abdulw11 is correct. Congrates! Next question please...

(2nd is Ramdin - WI, 3rd is Symond - Aus. The order would change once JO gets a chance to play the 20/20 for BD. I have full faith on the selectors)

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 08:58 AM
The next question is

1. Who is first test player to score a first class triple century on his birthday??

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 12:02 PM
I am giving a clue..

He is not from Asia or Australia :)

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 12:22 PM
I am dropping another hint

He was born in Bangalore, India :) and captained another coutry for more than 25 times.

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2006, 01:01 PM
Naseer Hossain?

oops he was born in Madras. sorry!!

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 01:07 PM
The next question is

1. Who is first test player to score a first class triple century on his birthday??
Colin Cowdrey

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 01:12 PM
Colin Cowdrey

Before I take your answer, can you tell me what was his score in that particular innings.

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 01:18 PM
I think you have not made any guess!! even you have done that, you are spot on!!

It was Colin Cowdrey and he scored 307 on his birthday.

My next question seems to be pretty simple ;)

1. Till date who has the highest Test cricket batting average while playing for Australia?

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 01:27 PM
Before I take your answer, can you tell me what was his score in that particular innings.
He scored 307 in the South Australia v MCC. So, Miraz, why do I get validation requirment?

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 01:33 PM
He scored 307 in the South Australia v MCC. So, Miraz, why do I get validation requirment?

Nothing seriously. Colin Cowdrey is the only player who was born in Bangalore, India and captained another country (England) 27 times. So' its easy to guess from my hint.

Sorry!! if I hurt you by any means.

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2006, 01:35 PM
1. Till date who has the highest Test cricket batting average while playing for Australia?
That's easy Bradman and he had 99.94 avg.

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 01:44 PM
Close but not correct.;)

It's not that easy mate.

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry, Miraz, this is a really interesting question and I could not resist myself answering it, even if that makes you unhappy :lol:

Albert Trott averaged 102.5 in three Test matches he played for Australia. But later he switched side to England and averaged 5.75 with bat in two Test matches he played for the team. So, his overall career average is 38.00. Anyrate, he is still the Australian batsman with the highest batting average.

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry, Miraz, this is a really interesting question and I could not resist myself answering it, even if that makes you unhappy :lol:

Albert Trott averaged 102.5 in three Test matches he played for Australia. But later he switched side to England and averaged 5.75 with bat in two Test matches he played for the team. So, his overall career average is 38.00. Anyrate, he is still the Australian batsman with the highest batting average.

Bulls eye!!

Exactly Trott is the surprise player to have the highest test average while playing for Australia.

That's a great answer.

Waiting for another question...from someone else..

abdulw11
May 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
It may be easy but I found it quite interesting...

Who is the only Test cricketer born in Brazil?

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 03:38 PM
I know the answer;)

waiting for someone else to .....:)

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 03:46 PM
It may be easy but I found it quite interesting...

Who is the only Test cricketer born in Brazil?
I got it again- Ashok Gandotra :lol:

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 03:54 PM
I got it again- Ashok Gandotra :lol:

Watcher, you are damn correct:(

Now its your turn to post a question. :lol:

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 04:20 PM
Now its your turn to post a question. :lol:
Ok, here it is, an easy one-

Who is the first Test cricketer born in the geographic region currently called Bangladesh ?

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 04:35 PM
Neaz Ahmed, he played in the famous test in which D'Oliveira score 144. A famous match for many reasons :lol:

Against England in Dhaka.

cricman
May 31, 2006, 04:36 PM
Ok, here it is, an easy one-

Who is the first Test cricketer born in the geographic region currently called Bangladesh ?

Bransby Cooper

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 04:47 PM
Bransby Cooper
I knew it was an easy question :(

Cricman is right, Cooper was born in East India Company era Dhaka and later represented Australia in the first ever Test match that was played in between Australia and England.

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
I got the question a bit wrong. I am afraid I answered it wrong too.

Cricman you are right. Bransby Cooper was born in March 15 1844 in Dhaka (Dacca at that time ) and played only one test for Australia & scored 15 and 3.

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 04:49 PM
In fact Neaz Ahmed is the first East Pakistani (now Bangladesh) to play a test match.

Good question watcher. Now it's the time to post another question..

Miraz
May 31, 2006, 04:58 PM
Well, Now I am posting another question.

Who is the test cricketer started playing test at the age of 14 and in which test?

mhferdaus
May 31, 2006, 05:03 PM
Well, Now I am posting another question.

Who is the test cricketer started playing test at the age of 14 and in which test?

Hasan Raza

cricman
May 31, 2006, 05:09 PM
Theres 2 answers to this one

Her name is Johmari Logtenberg She plays for SA women and got her Test cap at the age of 14 England Women v South Africa Women at Shenley http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/match/67518.html

and Hasan Raza of Pakistan

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 05:30 PM
This is what cricinfo has written in Raza's profile-

doubts about his birthdate and medical tests later resulted in the PCB withdrawing the record claim - his actual age was uncertain, but was around 15 at the time of debut
So, officially, Hasan Raza holds no record.

al Furqaan
May 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
Did any Bangladeshi (East Bengal) cricketer play test cricket for India before the 1947 partition? If so, who was the first?

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 06:25 PM
Did any Bangladeshi (East Bengal) cricketer play test cricket for India before the 1947 partition? If so, who was the first?
:lol: I think I got the answer for this one too- the name of the player is "Nobody".

I don't think any native East Bengali/East Pakistani/Bangladeshi ever played Test cricket for any other country.

Niaz Ahmed, who is the only Test cricketer from East Pakistan, was actually born in UP, India. In common Bangladeshi terms, he would be referred as a "Bihari".

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 07:27 PM
Well, I am taking for granted that Miraz and Al Furqaan are satisfied with answers to their questions. So, here is my next question-

Which Bangladeshi cricketer had scored a double century and then a century in a single FC match?

Sovik
May 31, 2006, 11:08 PM
Minhazul Abedin

TheWatcher
May 31, 2006, 11:33 PM
Minhazul Abedin
Right on the money!

Another trivia about Nannu- he, so far, is the only Bangladeshi cricketer who has a 50+ FC average with bat after playing substantial number of matches.

This is a guy who never got a chance to play a Test match for Bangladesh !!!

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 05:46 AM
Now its the time for another question.

Who is the last English Captain to win 10 test matches in a row without sustaining any defeat between the wins?

Tintin
June 1, 2006, 06:11 AM
Is there one ? Or is it a woman ?

Sovik
June 1, 2006, 06:32 AM
it must be a woman. cause england never won ten matches in a row

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 06:48 AM
There are few England Captain who have won 10 test matches without sustaining any defeat.

Well the question may be a bit confusing..

Lets make it again.

Who is the last English Captain to win 10 test matches in a row without sustaining any defeat between the wins ? (may take more than 10 test to be played)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 09:04 AM
I am giving one clue..

He started his captaincy with an innings defeat :)

tiger1000
June 1, 2006, 09:12 AM
Right on the money!

Another trivia about Nannu- he, so far, is the only Bangladeshi cricketer who has a 50+ FC average with bat after playing substantial number of matches.

This is a guy who never got a chance to play a Test match for Bangladesh !!!

IN JUNE 2002 BCC WAS INVITED TO JOIN BDESH CRICKET TRAINING CAMP
AND HE DID NOT NOT WANT TO COME BACK
BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY 36

tiger1000
June 1, 2006, 09:14 AM
IS IT
M.Vaughan

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 09:29 AM
IS IT
M.Vaughan

Great Answer!! tiger1000.

vaughan started with an innings and 92 run defeat against SA at Lord's. He won 10 out of 11 test played between First test against WI at Kingston and 1st test against SA at Port Elizabeth in 2003/04 season. His 10 win includes 7 win against WI, 2 against NZ and 1 against SA. Only draw was against WI at St Johns.

Congrats Again!!

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 09:31 AM
Waiting for the next question from someone else...

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 10:18 AM
Well, no one is coming up with another question.

So, my next question is ..

Which three batsmen have scored hundreds batting at number ten in Test Match cricket?

Tigers_eye
June 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
{Edited} wasn't an answer at all. :)

tiger1000
June 1, 2006, 10:39 AM
Franklin From New Zealand Is One

tiger1000
June 1, 2006, 10:40 AM
Does Gelespie Count His Orignal Place For
Batting Is Number 10

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
Does Gelespie Count His Orignal Place For
Batting Is Number 10

No!!

They all batted at number 10 position in those matches.

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 10:52 AM
In fact in the test cricket history there are four batsmen who scored test century batting at number 10 position. Franklin is the last example.

I am asking the name of at least three of them. :)

TheWatcher
June 1, 2006, 11:02 AM
I just googled Miraz's question and found this (http://www.funtrivia.com/ask.cfm?action=details&qnid=52015) :lol:

Sorry to spoil the fun, but there is no point repeating questions from other websites that can be easily googled out.

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 11:09 AM
Well, there is no question for which you cannot find the answer on the web. Still its a bit fun and learning for many members.

So, The Watcher you are right finding out the answer.

Apart from Franklin in recent SA tour, others are

PL Symcox 108
South Africa v Pakistan, February 1998

WW Read 117
England v Australia at The Oval, 1884

RA Duff 104, on debut
Australia v England at Melbourne, 1901-02

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 11:11 AM
Now, my next question is ..

This is quite an easy question

1. Who refused to leave the field after getting out in the first ball of a first class match ? He made one of the most historic statement of cricket:lol:

TheWatcher
June 1, 2006, 11:16 AM
Well, I have nothing against borrowing questions from other websites, matter of fact my question about the Bangladeshi born cricketer (as well as abdulw's question about the Brazilian cricketer) was from Ask Steven. But, Miraz, you need to, at least, twist the question a little to make it harder for others to find answers than just google it.

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well, I have nothing against borrowing questions from other websites, matter of fact my question about the Bangladeshi born cricketer (as well as abdulw's question about the Brazilian cricketer) was from Ask Steven. But, Miraz, you need to, at least, twist the question a little to make it harder for others to find answers then just google it.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

abdulw11
June 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
1. Who refused to leave the field after getting out in the first ball of a first class match ? He made one of the most historic statement of cricket:lol:

WG Grace. I think he said something like "They came to watch me bat, not you bowl". Its on someones sig in this forum, not sure who though...

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
WG Grace. I think he said something like "They came to watch me bat, not you bowl". Its on someones sig in this forum, not sure who though...

Absolutely correct and the statement as well:lol:

So, who will post the next question??

Sovik
June 1, 2006, 12:00 PM
Who is the only batsman was "Retired Not Out" in a test match?

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 12:09 PM
Good Question ;)

TheWatcher
June 1, 2006, 01:34 PM
Are you sure that there is only one such case ?

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 05:45 PM

Gordon Greenidge was retired not out 154
West Indies v India, 1982/83, 5th Test
Antigua Recreation Ground, St John's, Antigua

I am not sure whether that's the only occasion in test cricket.

TheWatcher
June 1, 2006, 07:05 PM
This is what MCC says (http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-2-substitutes-and-runners-batsman-or-fielder-leaving-the-field-batsman-retiring-batsman-commencing-innings,28,AR.html)-

Batsman leaving the field or retiring
A batsman may retire at any time during his innings. The umpires, before allowing play to proceed, shall be informed of the reason for a batsman retiring.
(a) If a batsman retires because of illness, injury or any other unavoidable cause, he is entitled to resume his innings subject to (c) below. If for any reason he does not do so, his innings is to be recorded as -Retired 'not out'.
(b) If a batsman retires for any reason other than as in (a) above, he may only resume his innings with the consent of the opposing captain. If for any reason he does not resume his innings it is to be recorded as -Retired 'out'.
(c) If after retiring a batsman resumes his innings, it shall be only at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of another batsman.

So, all the batsmen who had to leave the field because of injury and did not come back to resume their innings are considered retired not out. Most of the times, they are marked in the scorecards as retired hurt, but the meaning is same.
The most recent such case is Justin Langer in South Africa. The only two batsmen who are considered out because they retired are Marvan Atapattu and Mahela Jayawardane in the Asian Test championship match against Bangladesh.

Sovik
June 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
There are many cases that batsman did not come back after retiring and they were declared retired hurt or retired out but in Gordon Greenidge's case he was retired not out. and the reason may have been, his daughter died while he was batting and he had to leave the field.

This is from cricinfo

A tragic century in Antigua. Gordon Greenidge (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/WI/G/GREENIDGE_CG_04001433/) and Des Haynes (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/WI/H/HAYNES_DL_04001553/) had added 296 in the fifth Test against India (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1982-83/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T5_28APR-03MAY1983.html), and Greenidge was on 154 when he had to retire to visit his sick daughter in hospital. Sadly, she died two days later, and Greenidge was eventually adjudged to have retired not out, the only such scorecard entry in Test history.

and another interesting thing about this match is it went to 6th day. i am not sure but the scorecard reads it. match duration was april 28, 29, 30, may 1 and 3.

Test # 956 (953/48)
28,29,30 April, 1,3 May 1983 (5-day match)

cricman
June 1, 2006, 08:15 PM
Heres a Question from me, I think it's an easy one

What Bangladesh Test Batting Record does Tapash Baisya hold?

exotic
June 1, 2006, 08:28 PM
Tapash Baisya 50 off 36 balls against NZ

TheWatcher
June 1, 2006, 08:38 PM
There are many cases that batsman did not come back after retiring and they were declared retired hurt or retired out but in Gordon Greenidge's case he was retired not out. and the reason may have been, his daughter died while he was batting and he had to leave the field.

I think Greenidge's case was unique in a sense that he retired for a reason other than personal injury, but he was still given not out, considering his special situation.

However, all the batsmen that had to retire because of injury are also considered not out for statistical purpose, as you can see Langer had more one such instance.

List of Langer's innings (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=2071;class=testplayer;fil ter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;seas on=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0 ;groundid=0;startdefault=1993-01-23;start=1993-01-23;enddefault=2006-04-04;end=2006-04-04;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;follow on=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=bat_list;runslow=;runshigh=;batpositio n=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh= ;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wi cketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshi gh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow =;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewty pe)

thebest
June 1, 2006, 11:26 PM
and another interesting thing about this match is it went to 6th day. i am not sure but the scorecard reads it. match duration was april 28, 29, 30, may 1 and 3.

Test # 956 (953/48)
28,29,30 April, 1,3 May 1983 (5-day match)

5 day tests used to be six day long before 1990s. the fourth day is the rest day. I do not know which is the first 5 day test without rest day. But my question is in which test the second day was the rest day?
Hint 1: It is a very famous test involving one of the greatest all rounder of the 80s.
Hint 2: One of the greatest show of sportsmanship by one of the greatest indian batsman which changed the result of the game

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:52 AM
This is what Wikipedia says about 'retired out' and 'retired - not out'

If a batsman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batsman) gets injured or ill while batting, he may retire and resume his batting at a later stage in the innings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innings) at the fall of a wicket (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicket) or when another batsman retires hurt. If he takes the umpire's permission to leave, he is declared 'Retired – not out'.

In cricket (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket), a batsman retires out he retires without the umpire's permission, and does not have the permission of the opposing captain to resume his innings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innings). This often happens from time to time in friendly practice games, for instance English county sides versus University Centres of Cricketing Excellence. Only two batsmen have retired out in test match (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_cricket) cricket. Both instances were in the same match, where the Sri Lankan batsmen retired out to save the Bangladeshi opposition further embarrassment. Each of these two batsmen had already scored more runs than the entire Bangladeshi team in the previous innings, and it is arguable that they deliberately gave batting time to newer teammates

I think it will clarify.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 08:09 AM
Heres a Question from me, I think it's an easy one

What Bangladesh Test Batting Record does Tapash Baisya hold?

He holds record with Khaled Mashud. Highest partnership at 9th wicket.

9thwicket 74 runs Tapash Baisya (http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56176.html) & Khaled Mashud (http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55954.html) v West Indies Gros Islet (http://www.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59518.html) 2004 (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/BDESH_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/BDESH_WI_T1_28MAY-01JUN2004.html)

Sovik
June 2, 2006, 08:10 AM
My question was the most confusing.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 08:19 AM
So, Sovik post another good confusing question :lol:

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 08:30 AM
Time for another question....

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 09:03 AM
Time for another question....

There is already an open question with two hints.

my question is in which test the second day was the rest day?
Hint 1: It is a very famous test involving one of the greatest all rounder of the 80s.
Hint 2: One of the greatest show of sportsmanship by one of the greatest indian batsman which changed the result of the game

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 09:10 AM
Oops!! thanks cats_eye,

thebest may have violated (cricman's question was not correctly answered & thebest made another question, !! may be he took extoic's answer as the correct one) the rule of the game and accidentally me too (asking for another question).:wow:

Unfortunately I have not seen that question. :)

So, now we should try to answer thebest's question :)

I would suggest that everyone to post the question in bold letters.

Sovik
June 2, 2006, 09:21 AM
So, Sovik post another good confusing question :lol:

I will, but after some one answers "the best's " question

TheWatcher
June 2, 2006, 12:30 PM
5 day tests used to be six day long before 1990s. the fourth day is the rest day. I do not know which is the first 5 day test without rest day. But my question is in which test the second day was the rest day?
A really good question, thebest :up:

It was the Golden Jubilee Test (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1979-80/ENG_IN_IND/ENG_IND_T_15-19FEB1980.html) that was played between India and England, at Bombay. Ian Botham took 13 wickets and scored a century in the match. Hint 2 refers to Vishy, the Indian captain, who called back Taylor after he was given out.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 02:41 PM
I am waiting for a question ...

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 02:57 PM
Name a test cricketer who ran the London marathon. :)

thebest
June 2, 2006, 03:53 PM
Name a cricketer who ran the London marathon. :)

I think it is Ian Botham

and watcher you were right. Vishy called back Taylor and Taylor with Botham form the match winning partnership.

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 03:54 PM
My bad! now after googling i find out Botham, Alan Lamb ran the london marathon (for charity) and made time 5:52:41 and 4:46:00.

(i didn't know that heavy set dude could run, lol)

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:04 PM
Name a test cricketer who ran the London marathon. :)

Graham Gooch. Completed London Marathon four times :)

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 04:06 PM
Correct, i can't remember but somewhere from 1981 to 1983, he ran one.

Gooch's time is much better. 4:45:10.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/2001/london_marathon/1282276.stm

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:07 PM
It was a very good question.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:10 PM
Now I am posting another question.

How many catches Brian Lara has taken in his test career?

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
You mean test catches right?
151 ?

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:32 PM
You mean test catches right?
151 ?

Test catches & you are absolutely right.

Miraz
June 2, 2006, 04:51 PM
Waiting for a question...

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 05:14 AM
New question.

1. Who is the first Bangladeshi player to score a first class century??

Sovik
June 3, 2006, 07:12 AM
Aminul Islam Bulbul?

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 07:20 AM
Aminul Islam Bulbul?

No.

Try again dear.

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 10:19 AM
I am dropping one hint..

He is considered as the one of the most talented batsman of Bangladesh Cricket.

HawkEye000
June 3, 2006, 12:07 PM
Al Sahariar Rokon

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
Al Sahariar Rokon

Correct!!

He scored first ever first class hundred for Bangladesh in 1997/98 session.

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
Next question..

In which test of their test history England fielded 11 players from 11 different county?

HawkEye000
June 3, 2006, 12:36 PM
vs WI ( @ Nottingham, 3rd test - 1950 series )
vs SAF ( @ Durban, 3rd test - 1931 series )

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
vs WI ( @ Nottingham, 3rd test - 1950 series )
vs SAF ( @ Durban, 3rd test - 1931 series )

No, you are probably wrong this time.

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
According to Stump the Bearded Wonder (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/sports_talk/stump_bearders/4582183.stm), HawkEye000 is right.

Luke, UK (AB No. 60)
Have England ever fielded a side with players from 11 different counties?

Yes, but only twice. The first instance was in the Third Test against South Africa at Durban in January 1931 (Wyatt, Hammond, Leyland, Hendren, Turnbull, Chapman, White, Allom, Tate, Voce and Duckworth - Derbyshire, Essex, Hampshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Worcestershire not being represented).

The second was against West Indies at Trent Bridge in July 1950 (Simpson, Washbrook, Parkhouse, Dewes, Yardley, Insole, Evans, Shackleton, Jenkins, Bedser and Hollies - Derbyshire, Gloucestershire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Somerset and Sussex missing out).

Sovik
June 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
Correct!!

He scored first ever first class hundred for Bangladesh in 1997/98 session.

never knew he was the first, just knew he was first to score first class hundred away from home

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
According to Stump the Bearded Wonder (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/sports_talk/stump_bearders/4582183.stm), HawkEye000 is right.

Yap, it seems my websource is wrong. It says it was against Bangladesh at Chester-Lee-Street.

I now admit Hawkey's answer

Miraz
June 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
Waiting for another question..

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 05:02 PM
Name a Bangladeshi cricketer who played for a non-Bangladeshi FC side.

Keyword here is Bangladeshi, so pre-liberation matches won't count.

cricman
June 3, 2006, 05:35 PM
Name a Bangladeshi cricketer who played for a non-Bangladeshi FC side.

Keyword here is Bangladeshi, so pre-liberation matches won't count.

Habibul Bashar playing for the University of West Indies Vice Chancellor's XI?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/RSA_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/RSA_UWI-VC-XI_16-17APR2005.html

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
Habibul Bashar playing for the University of West Indies Vice Chancellor's XI?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/RSA_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/RSA_UWI-VC-XI_16-17APR2005.html
I don't think that two-day practice match counts as a first class match.

HawkEye000
June 3, 2006, 06:08 PM
Aminul Islam (MCC vs Aus @ Arundel Castle, 2001)

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2001/AUS_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/AUS_MCC_25-27JUN2001.html

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 06:50 PM
Aminul Islam (MCC vs Aus @ Arundel Castle, 2001)

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2001/AUS_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/AUS_MCC_25-27JUN2001.html
Once again, HawkEye000 is on target :up:

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, here is my next question-

Name a cricketer whose first Test century, in his career, turned out to be a triple century.

HawkEye000
June 3, 2006, 08:32 PM
Bob Simpson

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 08:58 PM
Bob Simpson
Yes, Bob Simpson, and also Garry Sobers.

HawkEye000, why don't you post the next question?

HawkEye000
June 3, 2006, 09:20 PM
Okay.

Who is the youngest Bangladeshi first class centurion?

TheWatcher
June 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
Who is the youngest Bangladeshi first class centurion?
Nafees Iqbal, at the age of 15 years, 1 months, and 8days ?

Chittagong vs Biman (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/BDESH_LOCAL/NCL/GROUP-A/CHTGNG_BIMAN_NCL_08-10DEC2000.html)

HawkEye000
June 4, 2006, 05:43 AM
That’s the right answer. But he did score another century on the first edition of the National Cricket League in 1999 when he was just 14 years and 17 days old. But that’s not considered a record as our National Cricket League didn’t have first class status till its second edition.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/BDESH_LOCAL/CHTGNG_SYLHET_NCL_16-18NOV1999.html

In this match a young and unknown Nafees Iqbal was drafted into the Chittagong team as all the national team players boycotted that match.

cricman
June 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
Has Bangladesh A ever defeated Bangladesh in either a 4-day match or One Dayer?

tiger1000
June 4, 2006, 10:38 AM
no bdesh A have
not beaten bdesh

cricman
June 4, 2006, 10:39 AM
Can you prove it?

Sovik
June 4, 2006, 02:20 PM
Bangladsh A have beaten Bangladesh in a some sort of practice match

cricman
June 4, 2006, 02:42 PM
No scorecard or anything? Sovik is right BD-A defeated BD in a OD practice match.
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/BDESH_LOCAL/OTHERS/PRACTICE/BDESH_BANGLADESHA_PRACTICE_27SEP2001.html

Miraz
June 4, 2006, 03:12 PM
Next question..

1. Who is the first captain to lose a test match after declaring twice??

cricman
June 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
Hansie Cronje?

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/ENG_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/ENG_RSA_T5_14-18JAN2000.html

Miraz
June 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
HansieCronje?

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/ENG_IN_RSA/SCORECARDS/ENG_RSA_T5_14-18JAN2000.html

No cricman, it has happened long before that.

In fact in this test Cornje forfeited second innings. That's not considered as a true declaration.

cricman
June 4, 2006, 03:51 PM
Garry Sobers and most recently Graeme Smith

Sovik
June 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
Garry Sobers. read an article on that in cricinfo few weeks ago

Miraz
June 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
Garry Sobers and most recently Graeme Smith

This time you are correct.

It has happened first in 1967-68, when Garry Sobers of West Indies declared twice at Port-of-Spain, and ended up not only losing the match to England, but the series too.
Graeme Smith did the same in Sydney test.

Miraz
June 4, 2006, 04:04 PM
Waiting for next question...

cricman
June 4, 2006, 04:11 PM
Which Bangladeshi player has the highest FC score outside of Bangladesh?

TheWatcher
June 4, 2006, 04:33 PM
If you are talking about highest individual innings, I think it is JO with his 167 against British Universities.

cricman
June 4, 2006, 04:56 PM
JO is # 2 on that list

Miraz
June 4, 2006, 05:28 PM

Shahriar Hossain

cricman
June 4, 2006, 06:05 PM
Correct Shahriar Hossain (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/6/6252/6252.html) scored 218 for BD-A vs Defence Housing Authority in the Patron's Trophy http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/78/78565.html

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 04:48 AM
Next question..

1. Who is the first Bangladeshi player to win a man of the match award in one day international?

HawkEye000
June 5, 2006, 04:59 AM
Athar Ali Khan

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1990-91/OD_TOURNEYS/ASIA/SL_BDESH_ASIA_ODI3_31DEC1990.html

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 08:20 AM
Next Question:
On any form/level of cricket, in one over what is the highest runs conceded by a single bowler? (This includes no balls and wides) I will take the answer +-1.

By the way, our street/parar match will not be entertained.

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
75* (0444664614106666600401)
LK Germon and RM Ford off RH Vance
Canterbury v Wellington Christchurch 1989-90
(77 runs to the total as 2 no-balls not scored off)</pre>

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 09:50 AM
hmm!! May be you are correct.

What I got is 62 runs by H Morley (he scored all 62 runs) off R grubbs (9x6 2x4) 4 nb 1968/69 tourist vs Gargett.

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 10:18 AM
My questions all seems to end with others finding more (better) answers. i wish to end this right now. So here it goes:

Next question:
Who is the only subcontinent non-spin bowler to get all 11 (opponent) players out in a test match? Against which team?

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
Waqar Younis Against New Zealand

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1990-91/NZ_IN_PAK/NZ_PAK_T3_26-31OCT1990.html

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 10:58 AM
Waqar Younis Against New Zealand

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1990-91/NZ_IN_PAK/NZ_PAK_T3_26-31OCT1990.html
Right on the money.

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 12:22 PM
Next question

Who is the first supersub to win a man of the match award in ODI?

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 01:30 PM
Shane Bond.
http://newicc.cricket.org/perl/icc-scorecard.cgi?ARCHIVE/2005-06/OD_TOURNEYS/VIDTRI/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_VIDTRI_ODI2_26AUG2005

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 02:08 PM
Shane Bond.
http://newicc.cricket.org/perl/icc-scorecard.cgi?ARCHIVE/2005-06/OD_TOURNEYS/VIDTRI/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_VIDTRI_ODI2_26AUG2005

Correct!!

Shane Bond, who took 6 for 19 after replacing Nathan Astle against India at Bulawayo in August 2005.

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
Next Question..

Who is the first batsman to be declared out 'obstructing the field' in ODI?

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 03:57 PM
Len [Sir Leonard] Hutton?

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 04:07 PM
Len [Sir Leonard] Hutton?

No!!

Len Hutton was out 'obstructing the field' in test not in ODI.:)

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 04:11 PM
Inzi ?

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
Inzi ?

No!!

It has happened before that.

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 04:20 PM
চেষ্টা করে দেখেন, পারবেন।

পাকিস্তান থেকেই একজন।

abdulw11
June 5, 2006, 04:47 PM
Next Question..

Who is the first batsman to be declared out 'obstructing the field' in ODI?

Ramiz Raja?

Miraz
June 5, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ramiz Raja?

Exactly!!!

Rameez Raja, against England at Karachi in 1987-88.
He knocked a fielder's return away when trying to complete the second run which would have taken him to 100 from the last ball of the match.

Sovik
June 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
i did not see the full question, it is ramiz raja. he stopped the ball with his bat when he was about to take 2nd run to complete his hundred and it was against england

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 04:50 AM
Next question

Who is the only test player to run out at 199?

thebest
June 6, 2006, 06:33 AM
Next question

Who is the only test player to run out at 199?

S. Jayasuria

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 06:41 AM
S. Jayasuria

No, he was not run out at 199 in a test match.

Hint : The player is also from a sub-continent team.

HawkEye000
June 6, 2006, 06:58 AM
Younis Khan

thebest
June 6, 2006, 07:03 AM
Azharuddin

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 07:05 AM
Younis Khan

Correct!!

Younis Khan was run out for 199 in the Test against India at Lahore, he was the seventh person to be out for 199 in a Test match, but he was the first one to be run out.

Waiting for another question..

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 08:13 AM
Next question

Who is last player (till date) to score a century in his ODI debut?

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 09:29 AM
I am dropping one hint..

He has played in the domestic league of Bangladesh.

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 11:07 AM
Another hint..

He is from sub-continent.

HawkEye000
June 6, 2006, 11:18 AM
Saleem Elahi

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 11:21 AM
Saleem Elahi

Correct!!

Well done Hawkeye :up:

Why don't you ask the next question??

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
Next question

What is the highest difference between first and second innings total (either way) in a test match?

mhferdaus
June 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
Next question

What is the highest difference between first and second innings total (either way) in a test match?

BD vs hind

BD 400 and 93 all out - difference -> 307

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
Aus vs Ind at Calcatta
657 2nd innings - 171 1st innings = 486 (India?)

Assuming the second innings has to be finished or declared.

Sovik
June 6, 2006, 02:44 PM
Pakistan v West Indies
1st innnings 106 and 2nd innings 657 for 8, declared. Difference 551 runs

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1957-58/PAK_IN_WI/PAK_WI_T1_17-23JAN1958.html
</pre>

Sovik
June 6, 2006, 02:47 PM
Question>> When was all 4 innings (some part of 2 innings of both teams) of a test match played in a same day?

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2006, 02:51 PM
Nice one Sovik. Very interesting 2nd innings bowling stats.
Smith 61 30 93 1
Can anyone imagine of bowing 61 overs in an innings and 30 maidens? I guess Hanif wanted to block anything and everything. :)

Sovik
June 6, 2006, 02:55 PM
Nice one Sovik. Very interesting 2nd innings bowling stats.
Smith 61 30 93 1
Can anyone imagine of bowing 61 overs in an innings and 30 maidens? I guess Hanif wanted to block anything and everything. :)
How about

DS Atkinson 62 35 61 1

</pre>

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 04:30 PM
Question>> When was all 4 innings (some part of 2 innings of both teams) of a test match played in a same day?

WI Vs England, Lords Test 2000

2nd day of this test have seen all four innings (part of).

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000/WI_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/WI_ENG_T2_29JUN-03JUL2000.html

Sovik
June 6, 2006, 05:33 PM
that was a great match. west indies started to fade from then. they were on top in that series but everthing changed on that day

Miraz
June 7, 2006, 05:00 AM
Next question

Name the player who opted to bat without helmet and was struck on the head first ball & required hospital treatment.

Hint : It happened in a world cup match.

Miraz
June 7, 2006, 07:43 AM
I am dropping another hint..

The match was against South Africa.

thebest
June 7, 2006, 07:48 AM
Zarwani, UAE captain . Struck by Donald

Sovik
June 7, 2006, 07:52 AM
Sultan Zarawani of UAE was struck on the head, without a helmet, by a Donald bouncer in 1996 worldcup.

Miraz
June 7, 2006, 07:53 AM
Zarwani, UAE captain . Struck by Donald

Correct!! It was the funniest incidence of ODI. Got struck on the head by the very first ball he faced.

Sovik
June 7, 2006, 08:00 AM
Correct!! It was the funniest incidence of ODI. Got struck on the head by the very first ball he faced.

This is not funny at all. this guy was in pain.

but how about a batsman got hin on the chest first ball he faced in test cricket, taken to hospital and died.

The scorecard read 1st innings-- retired hurt, 2nd innings-- absent due to death

Hint>> he was from Pakistan

Miraz
June 7, 2006, 08:38 AM
This is not funny at all. this guy was in pain.

but how about a batsman got hin on the chest first ball he faced in test cricket, taken to hospital and died.

The scorecard read 1st innings-- retired hurt, 2nd innings-- absent due to death

Hint>> he was from Pakistan

OMG thats really horrible :(

James90
June 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
Abdul Aziz. Co-incidently was also the batsman at the other end when Hanif Mohammad was run out for 499.

cricman
June 7, 2006, 07:57 PM
OK now I'll give another one

Tell me the Record of Highest Individual Innings score in the Dhaka Premier League? Player and Score.

Sovik
June 7, 2006, 08:14 PM
Rokon-166?

cricman
June 7, 2006, 08:21 PM
Even higher

Sovik
June 7, 2006, 08:24 PM
who could have scored more than 166.

tutul
June 7, 2006, 10:53 PM
So You Think You Know Cricket?

http://www.soyouthinkyouknowcricket.com/

Just found this website and thought maybe you guys would like it. Take the quiz and see how much you know about cricket. Enjoy ;)

thebest
June 7, 2006, 11:19 PM

Tell me the Record of Highest Individual Innings score in the Dhaka Premier League? Player and Score.
I think Samaraweevara score 180 odd in one match when abahoni score close to 300

cricman
June 8, 2006, 12:11 AM
Close but no Cigar

James90
June 8, 2006, 04:12 AM
So You Think You Know Cricket?

http://www.soyouthinkyouknowcricket.com/

Just found this website and thought maybe you guys would like it. Take the quiz and see how much you know about cricket. Enjoy ;)
Just reached the second round on my 2nd attempt.

Sovik
June 8, 2006, 06:04 AM
i reached second round on first attempt

Miraz
June 8, 2006, 01:55 PM

Its a real difficult one as no such information is not available on Web:(

Drop some hint..:)

cricman
June 8, 2006, 02:08 PM
It is online, But I'll give you guys hint This was the record, but was broken in the same season (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/BDESH_LOCAL/OTHERS/PDCL/SCORECARDS/MOHAMMEDAN_SADHARAN_PDCL_13APR2001.html)

Sovik
June 8, 2006, 07:55 PM
Steve Tikolo c Monzur Akthar b Khaled Mahmood 185 165 140 18 4</pre>

cricman
June 8, 2006, 08:11 PM
Sovik got it http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/BDESH_LOCAL/OTHERS/PDCL/SCORECARDS/BIMAN_MOHAMMEDAN_PDCL_28APR2001.html

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 04:53 AM
Next Question..

What is the highest maiden century score by any batsman in the history of test cricket?

Baundule
June 9, 2006, 07:42 AM
It is Garry Sober's 365 :)

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 07:55 AM
It is Garry Sober's 365 :)

Absolutely Right :)

His maiden century score prevailed as highest individual score in test cricker for 36 years before its broken by Lara's 374 in 1994.

Waiting for next question..

Tigers_eye
June 9, 2006, 08:39 AM
In Test, who (non-Wicket keeper) has the highest number of catches and how many?

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
In Test, who (non-Wicket keeper) has the highest number of catches and how many?

Mark Waugh with 181 catches

Tigers_eye
June 9, 2006, 09:08 AM
Correct!
When you see the list, it is hogged by Australians.
M Waugh 181
M Taylor 157
A Border 156
G Chappel 122
Ponting 120
Warne 120
S Waugh 112
Hayden 111
All non wicket keepers. No wonder their bowlers ranks so high up. They have few sure pair of hands.

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 09:12 AM
Next Question..

What is the lowest contribution by a partner in any 100 partnership in test cricket?

abdulw11
June 9, 2006, 10:32 AM
What is the lowest contribution by a partner in any 100 partnership in test cricket?

One run by Dilhara Fernando for Sri Lanka against Pakistan at Faisalabad on 23 October 2004.

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
One run by Dilhara Fernando for Sri Lanka against Pakistan at Faisalabad on 23 October 2004.

Correct!!

Jayasurya scored the rest 99 run in that partnership.

Miraz
June 9, 2006, 11:06 AM
Next question

Who holds the record of most career half century without any century (in test cricket)?

cricman
June 9, 2006, 07:21 PM
<a href="http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/27619.html">Chetan Chauhan</a> with 16 50's but no 100's

Miraz
June 10, 2006, 06:11 AM
Chetan Chauhan (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/27619.html) with 16 50's but no 100's

Correct !!

Waiting for the next question.

Sovik
June 10, 2006, 06:34 AM
Who has bowled the longest over in a match [firstclass, limited over, test & odi]? and How many balls did he bowl in that over?

Miraz
June 11, 2006, 05:50 AM
Who has bowled the longest over in a match [firstclass, limited over, test & odi]? and How many balls did he bowl in that over?

Difficult one:) Drop some hint

Is it

21 ball over from By RH Vance?
Canterbury v Wellington Christchurch 1989-90

Sovik
June 11, 2006, 06:33 AM
Yes. you are right

Miraz
June 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
Next question..
Who holds the record of most 'not out' in test cricket?

thebest
June 11, 2006, 06:51 AM
Next question..
Who holds the record of most 'not out' in test cricket?

Courtny Walsh

Miraz
June 11, 2006, 07:10 AM
Courtny Walsh

You are right!!

He holds that record with 61 not outs in 185 innings during 132 appearances for West Indies.

Waiting for next question.

Miraz
June 12, 2006, 06:23 AM
Next question

Who holds the record of scoring most centuries in England?

abdulw11
June 12, 2006, 06:29 AM
Next question

Just wanna clarify that you mean in England and not for England.

thebest
June 12, 2006, 06:30 AM
Next question

In first class match it is Jack Hobbs and in test probably Gooch

Miraz
June 12, 2006, 06:35 AM
In first class match it is Jack Hobbs and in test probably Gooch

Correct!!

The question was about test. Graham Gooch scored 15 of his 20 Test centuries on home soil in England - a record six at Lord's, three at Trent Bridge, two at Headingley and Old Trafford, and one each at Edgbaston and The Oval.

Miraz
June 12, 2006, 06:42 AM
Next Question.

Who is the only bowler to take hattrick at the both innings of a test match?

abdulw11
June 12, 2006, 06:47 AM
Next Question.

Who is the only bowler to take hattrick at the both innings of a test match?
Australian leg spinner Jimmy Matthews took a hat-trick in South Africa's first and second innings, both taken on 28 May 1912.

thebest
June 12, 2006, 06:49 AM
Next Question
When is the only time captain of oppossing team shares the same birthday? Who were they?

hint: It was an Ashes series

thebest
June 13, 2006, 08:00 AM
Next Question
When is the only time captain of oppossing team shares the same birthday? Who were they?

hint: It was an Ashes series

hint 2: The series was played before first world war

hint 3: One of them has historical connection with Bangladesh

If nobody could answer, I would answer it tomorrow this time

thebest
June 14, 2006, 06:23 AM
Next Question

It seems that it was a very hard question. Here is the answer
In 1905 Ashes series the opposing captain S Jackson of England and J Darling of Australia share the same birthday November 21, 1870.
Later S Jackson become governor of Bengal in 1927 and shot by Bina Das inside the convocation hall of Calcutta university.

Here is a easy question
Who is the only player to score two separate first class hundred in a single day?

Hint: He is Indian by Birth

Tigers_eye
June 15, 2006, 03:04 PM
Just by guessing Tendulkar?
If not Azhar, Shewag, Shastri, Kapil, Vengsarkar, Srikanth, Shidhu, Vishanath, Amarnath, kambli, Laxman, Dravid.
If not who else Gavaskar or Danguli?

Any of them are capable of achieving the feat.

thebest
June 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
Just by guessing Tendulkar?
If not Azhar, Shewag, Shastri, Kapil, Vengsarkar, Srikanth, Shidhu, Vishanath, Amarnath, kambli, Laxman, Dravid.
If not who else Gavaskar or Danguli?

Any of them are capable of achieving the feat.

Unfortunately none of them. It is Ranjit Singji. He scored two separate centuries on 22nd August 1896 (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/125069.html) againest Yorkshire playing for Sussex.

Sovik
June 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
Name two brothers, made their debut on same day but for two different countries

Baundule
June 16, 2006, 03:44 AM
Name two brothers, made their debut on same day but for two different countries
Joyce brothers. Easy one ;)

Baundule
June 16, 2006, 03:47 AM
Name a stylish cricket player, who once shot a police?

captain_thinking_tank
June 16, 2006, 04:03 AM
damn! bashar scorred 77! thats awesome!

Miraz
June 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
Name a stylish cricket player, who once shot a police?

Is it Navjot Sing Sidhu ?

Baundule
June 17, 2006, 10:03 AM
Is it Navjot Sing Sidhu ?
May be, or may be not!
I had Chaderpaul in mind.

Miraz
June 17, 2006, 11:05 AM
Next question..

Which batsman has scored most test runs without any century?

Sovik
June 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
Shane warne?

Miraz
June 17, 2006, 05:20 PM
Shane warne?

Correct!!

Waiting for next question..

thebest
June 18, 2006, 03:34 AM
Which Asian player hold the record of highest number of first class century?

SMHasan
June 18, 2006, 08:49 PM
Zaheer Abbas?

Sovik
June 18, 2006, 09:22 PM
Zaheer Abbas, 108 centuries in first class matches</pre>

mhferdaus
June 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
Here is something I do not know myself :D ...
How many 1 run victories (in odi) are there?

thebest
June 18, 2006, 11:06 PM
Which Asian player hold the record of highest number of first class century?

Both Sovik and SMHasan is correct

Miraz
June 19, 2006, 06:50 AM
Here is something I do not know myself :D ...
How many 1 run victories (in odi) are there?

Please check the rule before posting a question..

The rule is very simple.

1. Anyone can become a CricketGuru and ask a question which felow members will try to answer.
2. Once the question is correctly answered the CricketGuru will acknowledge that and any member can post a new question and take the role of CricketGuru.
3. Please do not post a new question before the current question is answered.
4. Question should be cricket related.
5. Member who will take the role as the cricket guru should acknowledge the correct answer when it is posted.

mhferdaus violated rule 2 & 5 because he does not know the answer and he will not be able to acknowldge the correct answer.:(

I am inviting a new question...