PDA

View Full Version : Chucking Debate : Lee, Akhtar quality pacemen but with suspect action: Roberts

Miraz
June 1, 2006, 01:04 PM
Chucking debate took another twist and now WI great Roberts instigated the debate again. Some of his remarks ..

"They don't have many good quality fast bowlers right now. The only two that I can see and talk of, one is Lee and the other is Shoaib, and both in my mind are suspect," Roberts told The Indian Express.
"I am not the only one, most of the world thinks so. I have watched them. I think Lee is one of the best athletes in the Australian team, but one or two of his deliveries are suspect."

"You look at Shoaib from side-on, you look at him from the back, I wonder if hyperextension can be that and all that they say it is,"

"To be honest, I would say that the ICC is encouraging chucking in cricket,"

Read Full Story (http://www.thebangladeshtoday.com/sports%20update.htm#sports-01)

Tigers_eye
June 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
Andy Roberts is one of my favorite bowlers. I am 110% behind his to be honest comment, "I would say that the ICC is encouraging chucking in cricket".

tiger_man
June 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
ya..by allowing 15 degrees arm bend rule they did allow chucking...

you cant police around bowlers by measuring how much they bend their arm.....the field umpires will never be able to do that...

Hatebreed
June 6, 2006, 01:48 AM
Well it's good for entertainment, but also gives bowlers a little more freedom when modern technology and rigorous umpiring can literally end careers. The rule applies to all, hyper-extension is somewhat unnatural but allowed, so what's wrong if bowlers can take best advantage of their abilities? I think Latish Malinga looks more like a chucker the way he drags is arm at an angle. Andy Roberts is fully entitled to his opinion and I agree with him about not having many good quality fast bowlers today, but he also needs to accept the growing complexity and demand of the game nowadays.

tiger_man
June 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
the thing is the Community of Chuckers is rapidly expanding and too many wonderful cricketing career are affected by it...

IMO, either get rid of ur 15 degree arm bend rule or shut up....

when u say a bowler is allowed to bend his arm by even 5 degree, he will bend his arm nd argue with u that he did the right thing.....

y not put a new rule that keep ur arms straight all time when bowling??? gets rid of all the bloody debates on chucking...

Fazal
June 6, 2006, 09:09 AM
Enough Chucking Debate. Now lets move on something different which have not been explored yet.

How about Chuckling debate?Which cricket player (present or past) Chuckles a lot in the field?

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2006, 09:15 AM
Cricket Players:
Murali from SL?
Ash from BD?

Basketball Players:
Isiah Thomas from NY Knicks?
Magic Johnson from LA Lakers?