PDA

View Full Version : how bright are england's chances?

BangladeshFan
June 3, 2006, 05:14 PM
i think england have got a tremendous opportunity to win this world cup, most people in england have realized it. the world cup is held in europe, nearly identical weather and support (lot of english fans will travel to germany) and they have a very strong team. absence of rooney(he is likely to be back after group stages) seems like a blessing in disguise as crouch is becoming very effective along with owen. midfield & defence is like a powerhouse. they had good defence and midfield even in 1998 and 2002 but this time the strikers possess the killer blow.many people will actually put them as favorites. what do u think?

cricman
June 3, 2006, 06:38 PM
Won't do them any good if they have to play brazil in the QTR finals like in 02. They need a little luck in the second round depending on their draw. They had a good win vs Argentina but that was when Owen was Healthy and tearing it up for NewCastle. Alot depends on his form and Beckham on set plays.

England probably get eliminated in the KO stages

Mr-Cricket
June 4, 2006, 01:01 AM
Any team with Gerrard, Lampard & Beckham in Midfield has a fair chance. Add Neville, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry & Bridge in Defence; Rooney, Owen, Crouch & Walcott (the new Thierry Henry according to Thierry Henry lol) Up-front & you have one outstanding side. Provided they top their Group, they will most likely face one of Ecuador/Poland/Costa Rica in the 2nd Round. A no-contest. Nevertheless, one of Argentina/Netherlands or Portugal awaits in the QF. This will be the real test. Provided they can overcome this hurdle, they will drop out in the SF. I can't see Brazil stuffing up this one.

mac
June 4, 2006, 01:07 AM
I think England is the top favourite in this WC. They r showing good team sprit in practice matches. Gerrard will be the key player coz he is showing his top performance. He has already scored 23 goals in this season. If Rooney returns in the QF then England will be the best. English team is well balanced with good mid-fielders like Beckham, Lampard. Defence is also upto the mark. So they may win.:flag:

thebest
June 4, 2006, 03:58 AM
Like Indian cricket team english football team is overhyped. They are good team but not so good to win the WC. QF would be best achievable target for them

Yameen
June 4, 2006, 05:33 AM
rooney or no rooney, england have no chance to win the cup this time, i think they will go out in the quarters, probably on penalty shoot outs, as we all know england have the worst record on penalties.

brazil to win the cup, as even with their 2nd team, dey gonna mash up every team that comes their way

abdulw11
June 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
I believe England has a great chance to win, providing they can avoid Brazil. They have one of the best England teams since 1966. World class talent in Lampard (in the form of his life), Gerrard (excellent carrier of the ball, can hold up as well as attack), Owen (lets just say he knows where the net is), Rooney (sensational player who is strong and quick), Ferdinand (strong dominant figure), Terry (defender who can score goals), Beckham (superb set pieces, one of the best passers in the game).

Great overall team as well as a good bench. They have players who can come on to do damage in a game e.g. Walcott can inject pace late into a game when the other team is fatigued, although I think it was a surprise for him to be included in the squad.

mhferdaus
June 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
I believe England has a great chance to win, providing they can avoid Brazil. They have one of the best England teams since 1966. World class talent in Lampard (in the form of his life), Gerrard (excellent carrier of the ball, can hold up as well as attack), Owen (lets just say he knows where the net is), Rooney (sensational player who is strong and quick), Ferdinand (strong dominant figure), Terry (defender who can score goals), Beckham (superb set pieces, one of the best passers in the game).

Great overall team as well as a good bench. They have players who can come on to do damage in a game e.g. Walcott can inject pace late into a game when the other team is fatigued, although I think it was a surprise for him to be included in the squad.

give beckhause a konuy guta for me plz will you, Killy might not mind but I am not letting him get away with it he he :D.

Hatebreed
June 4, 2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think England will make it past the QF or may be Semis, even though I support them (after Brazil). They have a good team but so is the competition.

tiger1000
June 4, 2006, 04:07 PM
i think england will be knocked out of the world cup in
the semi-finals

Rabz
June 5, 2006, 02:50 AM
sure English got a good team this time... but im afraid that wont be good enuf for them... after all this is England we are talking about right ??? ha ha

id give them best for Qtr... or luck-stretching Semis... not winning the cup...

AsifTheManRahman
June 5, 2006, 11:20 AM
england do have a good team this time, and the new guy crouch's coming good too, with a hattrick against jamaica in that practice match. however, england are known to screw things up, and they don't have rooney this time either. imo, they are not good enough to go past the semis.

hope i'm wrong though. :)

PS: the players sound pretty confident though - http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060605/7/73wq.html

jayed
June 5, 2006, 12:11 PM
eng have even a beta chance of winning that '66. that time, brazil was very strong, with pele etc. nowadays, even if they are all that, i don't think they're as good as they used to be.

so eng have good chance. heck, they reached the semis 16 years ago, and quarter finals last time around, why not two better this time. its gud to be optimistic.

as 4 those aussies who slate eng football, tut tut. Hollander shatey draw korey, boro kotha botase!

win the wc for a change, then slate eng.

Mr-Cricket
June 5, 2006, 12:41 PM
as 4 those aussies who slate eng football, tut tut. Hollander shatey draw korey, boro kotha botase!

Any team with Gerrard, Lampard & Beckham in Midfield has a fair chance. Add Neville, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry & Bridge in Defence; Rooney, Owen, Crouch & Walcott (the new Thierry Henry according to Thierry Henry lol) Up-front & you have one outstanding side. Provided they top their Group, they will most likely face one of Ecuador/Poland/Costa Rica in the 2nd Round. A no-contest. Nevertheless, one of Argentina/Netherlands or Portugal awaits in the QF. This will be the real test. Provided they can overcome this hurdle, they will drop out in the SF. I can't see Brazil stuffing up this one.
We all have to start somewhere. :up:

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2006, 04:47 PM
Win the WC first? that means only 7 team supporters can speakup. Brazilian fans can speak up 5 times more than the English hooligans? Uruguay can speak up twice as much as England?

Was it not for Portugal, England could never win the WC. Cheating at Home court, ar boro boro golai kotha. Shall we bring back Hungary's 7-1 drubbing and discuss? How about the false penalties that linekar hit against Nigeria? England is the last team I would support out of the 185 nations or so who participated in the WC preliminaries.

akabir77
June 5, 2006, 08:34 PM
normally i am brazil supporter but this wc i will support england because this will be last wc for beckham and he deserves the wc... go beckham go go spicy go !?! :>

in the mean time check this out.. which league you think is most skill full?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7375072271319864366

Rabz
June 6, 2006, 10:06 AM
eng have even a beta chance of winning that '66. that time, brazil was very strong, with pele etc. nowadays, even if they are all that, i don't think they're as good as they used to be.

so eng have good chance. heck, they reached the semis 16 years ago, and quarter finals last time around, why not two better this time. its gud to be optimistic.

mate i appreciate ur enthusiam for ur team.. at least u gotta hv that.. ha ha
good luck with it.. see me after semis.. lol

as for as England..let's see their success in world stage ...

a dodgy win in 66....( we all know that history mate)
a boring win in 03 rugby...(finally something)
and for ur satisfactory ..... just in case..
an ashes after 17 yrs... ha ha
(pls remind me if im forgettin any other ones...)

3 acheivements in god-knows-how-many-yrs-since-they-seems-to-invent-every-single-game-known-to-mankind-but-is-crap-at-it-anyway... oh god thats a mouthfull

the enthusiam n money that are being poured in English soccer, its an utter shame that they hv won ONLY 1 wc...

Every game Australia has a long tradition, they are one of the world's best...if not the current and all time best..

cricket, hockey, swimming, tennis, rugby...

football was ( up untill the WC qualifier) on the bottom ranking in the australian sporting pecking order... and they seems to play in its WC version, which i reckon is a tremendous achievement on its own... but the way its gaining its momentum at present, im sure if they can keep it up, in 20 yrs time Australia would have a great football team ( they already rank 44 )

dont get me wrong, i like the current English team, i just don think they are good enough to win the world cup..more so, i just don want them to win the wc...

this yrs wc should be won and belongs to only one country...BRAZIL ..

and for Australia, id be more than ecstatic to see them passin first round...

Mr-Cricket
June 6, 2006, 10:52 AM
How bright are England's chances? :D

Finish 1st Group B: QF vs Argentina/Netherlands/Portugal; SF vs Brazil.
Finish 2nd Group B: 2nd Round vs Germany; QF vs Argentina/Netherlands; SF vs Italy/Czech Republic/France.

http://www.bmyersphoto.com/BWXRAY/lightbulb.jpg

IanW
June 6, 2006, 12:01 PM

Erm, should we tell him the result of the last time Australia played Sven's Boys ?

Fazal
June 6, 2006, 05:13 PM
how bright are england's chances?

As bright as their whether.

Banglatiger84
June 7, 2006, 06:18 AM
Rooney, Owen, Crouch & Walcott (the new Thierry Henry according to Thierry Henry lol)

Rooney is half-fit, Owens out of form, Crouch is a beanpole, and Walcott wasnt considered good enough by Wenger to feature in even one of Arsenals match this season.

Mr-Cricket
June 7, 2006, 06:57 AM
Rooney is half-fit, Owens out of form, Crouch is a beanpole, and Walcott wasnt considered good enough by Wenger to feature in even one of Arsenals match this season.
Reality check mate. Walcott is 17 years old. Not good enough? Arsenal spent 12.5 Million Pounds in securing his transfer from Southampton in January. In fact, Thierry Henry is likening Walcott to himself. I'm guessing you've never heard of Henry before? And notice how I placed emphasis on England's Midfield, then their Defence, and then, and only then did I mention their Strikers. That said, Rooney is one of the best youngster's going around, and even at half fitness (he is actually fast approaching a full recovery and should be right for the 2nd Round) he will be a huge threat to any team. Owen has a point to prove and Crouch is in great form and will be keen to make a name of himself in Rooney's absence.

Three words.

Lampard. Gerrard. Beckham.

Oh, and I'm an Aussie fan. ;)

Miraz
June 7, 2006, 07:01 AM
England has got the best midfield of Europe & they have to depend on their midfield for scoring. Crouch is yet to prove his calibre at top level and Owen and Rooney is not 100% match fit.

thebest
June 7, 2006, 08:31 AM
England should first learn how to take penalty. After that they could think of that. From 82, I am hearing that they are better than 66. But lets check wht they have done. 82 - out in 2nd round , 90 after winning (?) againest Cameroon controversially shooted out by Germany. in 86 so many talks of so called ' hand of God' but forgotting the greatest goal of all time. In 90 shooted out again. Ooops in 94 they could not qualify. in 98 Even Owen's diving good not save them from shooting out againest Argentina. In 2002 one of the silliest goal ever conceded . So this year. All blame would be on Roony's injury just like the last two times it was Beckham

Banglatiger84
June 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
Reality check mate. Walcott is 17 years old. Not good enough? Arsenal spent 12.5 Million Pounds in securing his transfer from Southampton in January. In fact, Thierry Henry is likening Walcott to himself. I'm guessing you've never heard of Henry before? . ;)

You didnt answer my question. Why did Wenger not play Walcott this season at all even though he was signed in January?

Henry may make such statements to improve Theo's confidence, howver the jury's still out on whether he will be as good as Henry.

sadi
June 7, 2006, 01:33 PM
Walcott can be good. CAN BE. Noone is sure. He will be good eventually but how good is he right now is defiantely a good question. Obviously, Wenger didn't play him because he thought he is not yet ready for this level. He has potential though and thats why they spent so much money on him. I have to agree with banglatiger84. No matter how talented Rooney is, it is not easy to come back after injury and perform upto your best level. Owen is out of form and how good is Crouch.

England is over-rated. Every worldcup I hear them repeating 66. It never happened and don't know when will.

Mr-Cricket
June 7, 2006, 02:44 PM
You didnt answer my question. Why did Wenger not play Walcott this season at all even though he was signed in January?

He's only 17, mate. Wenger's probably waiting for the right time. He also had the small matter of Henry, Pires & Reyes to contend with for a starting spot. I'm not an Arsenal fan (Man Utd) so obviously I'm in no position to comment. I think sadi summed it up beautifully though.

BangladeshFan
June 7, 2006, 04:36 PM
well, wayne rooney is included. huge plus for england atleast from inspiration point of view. they have such an easy draw, the only real obstacle they will face is in the QF.

tutul
June 7, 2006, 11:05 PM
very bright. why? whos that injured guy (?) he joined for practice!

tiger_man
June 8, 2006, 08:40 AM
englands chance is as bright as saudi arabia's chance of going to quater final