PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from International Cricket

Miraz
June 6, 2006, 09:46 AM
I am creating another thread in which anyone can post 'Quotes' from players, officials or anyone related with cricket. The quotes should be interesting or funny.

Here's some quotes..

'Expect a ruling shortly that spectators will need to wear slippers and cut the crusts of their sandwiches before being allowed into grounds. Mind you, anyone who has lifted one of my wife's sandwiches will vouch for their potential as a weapon of mass destruction. '

Martin Williamson on his Cricinfo Column based on the incident of throwing Sandwiches and Shoe in a county match.

"You've got to make it tough," "No freebies ... target him. Break a finger if you want. That'll stop him getting ten wickets."

Nasser Hussain when asked on air how to bowl to Muttiah Muralitharan, who was at time gleefully smacking England's bowlers around Trent Bridge.

<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>"I didn't like them anyway. A few of them were worthy but I wouldn't take their names now and make them feel happy. I hated conceding runs."

Curtly Ambrose, when asked about the most admired batsman.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sovik
June 6, 2006, 02:05 PM
i liked Ambores's comment

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2006, 02:41 PM
"shocked and devastated". (After the drug scandal)

Murali is "thin-skinned".
Murali gets "cheap" Wickets.
"Nothing to do in Bangladesh".

the Fat boys mouth is always moving.

akabir77
June 6, 2006, 02:41 PM
opps wrong thread

Miraz
June 11, 2006, 07:26 AM
"Never enough! Whatever it is in life, it's never enough."
Who else but Shane Warne on his life's philosophy.

" What's more, if you believe the chap, then Ganguly's going to be back in the Indian team by October at the latest. "Sourav will be back in action any time between July 15 and October 15."

Kartik Chatterjee, Sourav's family priest.

Miraz
June 18, 2006, 05:46 AM
<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>" I don't want to be the next Viv Richards, I just want to be Kevin Pietersen, the best Kevin Pietersen can be."
Kevin Pietersen

"You miss it. It's a bit like eating cod and then having to go back and eat sardines. Once you have tasted it, there is nothing like it."
Ray Price gets all fishy about wanting to return to international cricket for England

"I had just about forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder."
Rahul Dravid talking to Dean Jones is forced to relive his dreadful stroke that dismissed him in the first innings at St Lucia

"He is a positive guy, just like me. That's why I guess the whole of India loves him. But if he was not a 'keeper and was a bowler, I would hit him for 10 sixes back. I am looking for revenge."
Dave Mohammed (another potential blaster of our time?) sends out a warning after being carted around by Mahendra Singh Dhoni in Antigua.

"I definitely chucked a few but the umpires didn't pick it up and there were no TV replays. On matting wickets, an offspin chuck got a lot of wickets."
Incoming ICC president Percy Sonn on his days as a club cricketer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fazal
July 19, 2006, 04:37 PM
"If one-day cricket was pyjama cricket, then Twenty20 is underwear cricket. This cricket is like a burger, you can have it once a week but for a whole meal, you need to return to Test cricket. More than once a week, and it will give you a tummy ache" -- Navjot Sidhu

"Being on 99 has the habit of turning sane men into idiots. I said "Sorry mate" and told him I was an idiot"
Andrew Strauss on his poor call which resulted in Ian Bell's run out

Sovik
July 24, 2006, 03:39 PM
http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
" I've seen him [Murali] crumble under pressure. I've seen batsmen taking him on going for like 80 in ten overs and they take him off." AB de Villiers seems to have seen what nobody else has even imagined

Tigers_eye
July 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
" I've seen him [Murali] crumble under pressure. I've seen batsmen taking him on going for like 80 in ten overs and they take him off." AB de Villiers seems to have seen what nobody else has even imagined
AB de V was only dreaming. Soon he will find out how Murali crushes him and piles pressure on SA.

Miraz
July 25, 2006, 11:20 AM
"I'd really like to be able to be a batsman who bowls. The management said to me 'we'd like to use you in the Tests - you can either make a fool of yourself or hit some good areas' - and that's what I want to do. Hit some good areas and keep the run rate down. Who knows - I might bowl 15 or 20 overs in a Test."
What's next for AB de Villiers? The promising opening batsman, wicket keeper and brilliant fieldsman wants to do even more.

"If he bowls that many overs then we'll probably be chasing 550."
His coach, Mickey Arthur, fully endorses de Villiers' ambition.

Sovik
July 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
What's next for AB de Villiers?

A good clown school

Andy-Flower
July 27, 2006, 05:15 AM
AB de V was only dreaming. Soon he will find out how Murali crushes him and piles pressure on SA.

looks like he ment what he said...he scored 65 today Mura eventually got him out but after some time

Sovik
July 27, 2006, 05:57 AM
but murali ripped throu south african innings

Sovik
August 25, 2006, 04:52 AM
"I love my cricket. I'll give my balls for cricket, but not my life."
AB de Villiers catches cabin fever at the team hotel in Colombo

"And here are two of the men who have been working very hard, doing nothing."
Thandi Tshabalala gives his own documentary-style commentary filming the cameramen filming him at the team hotel in Colombo

Sovik
August 27, 2006, 08:07 PM
<!--- END OLD SSI: /navigation/WORLD/HEADER.html ---> 2006
Quote ... unquote
<!--FULL STOP AFTER THE QUOTE BUT NO FULL STOP AFTER THE EXPLANATION PLEASE-->
"This idea that umpires are always right is a load of old cobblers. What I want to know is: Who umpires the umpires? The players suffer from their mistakes, but no one ever seems to get rid of the umpires themselves. Being an umpire is a people job: that's why Dickie Bird was good at it. Yes, he was a loony, and he made mistakes - everyone does. But he knew how to deal with people, so they respected him."
Straight talking from Geoff Boycott
"All these ICC officials sitting in their tax haven in Dubai and saying the umpire's always right - that's not going to help anyone. They've got to forget about their big egos for a moment and let us move on."
And some more straight talking from Boycott this time aimed at the ICC
"I was shocked. I thought it was a silly letter."
ICC president Malcolm Speed on his reaction to Darrell Hair's letter offering to quit for $500,000
"He does what he thinks is right regardless of the consequences. My immediate reaction was 'typical Darrell'."
ICC general manager cricket Dave Richardson on his reaction
"I don't care what the umpiring is like. In Pakistan and India during the late 1970s and '80s we would never have been on the field if we had thought that way."
Geoff Lawson, the former Australian fast bowler, feels that Inzamam-ul-Haq erred in refusing to play
"The jails would be empty if we had to rely on video evidence to prove any crime."
ICC president Malcolm Speed when asked if the lack of TV coverage to support claims of ball tampering would lead to Code of Conduct charges against Inzamam-ul-Haq being dropped

Miraz
August 28, 2006, 07:46 AM
"When bombs go off in Karachi and Colombo everyone wants to go home. When bombs go off in London, no one says anything. That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it."
Michael Holding

"There is a double standard at work in cricket and this episode has only highlighted it. When England used reverse-swing to beat the Australians in the 2005 Ashes, everyone said it was great skill. When Pakistan does it, the opposite happens, no one thinks it is great skill. Everyone associates it with skullduggery.
Michael Holding on recent ball tampering issue

Sovik
August 28, 2006, 09:22 AM
"When bombs go off in Karachi and Colombo everyone wants to go home. When bombs go off in London, no one says anything. That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it."
Michael Holding

"There is a double standard at work in cricket and this episode has only highlighted it. When England used reverse-swing to beat the Australians in the 2005 Ashes, everyone said it was great skill. When Pakistan does it, the opposite happens, no one thinks it is great skill. Everyone associates it with skullduggery.
Michael Holding on recent ball tampering issue

you are the man Mr. Holding

Miraz
August 29, 2006, 05:20 AM
"The jails would be empty if we had to rely on video evidence to prove any crime."
ICC president Malcolm Speed when asked if the lack of TV coverage to support claims of ball tampering would lead to Code of Conduct charges against Inzamam-ul-Haq being dropped

"You can ask any fast bowler. If he says he has never tampered with the ball, he either has just started playing, or is lying."
Michael Holding reveals the guilty pleasure shared by all fast bowlers

"Who is John Wright? have not read the book and have no intentions to read it either."
Kapil Dev reveals just how clued in to Indian cricket he has been between 2000 and 2005

AsifTheManRahman
August 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="605"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td align="right" width="30">24.4</td> <td>Shahid Afridi to Collingwood, OUT, drifting into Collingwood who comes forward, the ball turns enough and raps him on the pad and Afridi roars an appeal. That's about as plum as a rather large plum from a big plum tree in Plumshire </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td width="30">
</td> <td> PD Collingwood lbw b Shahid Afridi 14 (29b 2x4 0x6) sr: 48.27</td></tr></tbody></table>
Cricinfo text commentary, Eng vs Pak, 1st ODI, 30 Aug, 2006.

Miraz
September 3, 2006, 05:50 AM
"Binge drinking and teenage pregnancies are the only games the English invented where they are still ranked No.1 in the world, and like some of the dregs who shouted "cheat" at Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq, some of us would be better off teetotal."
Mike Walters of the Mirror on a day out at Bristol

thebest
September 3, 2006, 06:00 AM
. 29th over: A collector's item - Inzamam, the new batsman, runs a three. Strangely, no singles are taken in the rest of the over.
30th over: Good over from Clarke out there in the gloaming. I think. It's hard to be sure who's doing what - if it wasn't for Pakistan's semi-luminous clothing, we'd be lost
31st over: Inzi gets busy on Broad and takes ten off the over. That collector's item of an Inzi run three has suddenly gone down in value - Inzi takes another

32nd over: Incredible scenes - another Inzi three! What else has he got lined up this weekend - a 10km road race early on Sunday morning? BBC Text Commentry on yesterdays match.

Hatebreed
September 3, 2006, 06:18 AM
lol those are some funny commentry

thebest
September 5, 2006, 04:23 AM
"Even my father can play club cricket in England."
Zimbabwe coach Kevin Curran, who has slammed club cricket in England before, has another pop after saying that his charges do not benefit from playing in such matches. Curran's father is 78
Wish Ashraful and his fans are hearing

AsifTheManRahman
September 8, 2006, 01:42 PM
"Here's Razzaq into the attack. Pleasingly, that rhymes. I'm really quite a simple chap you know."

-Cricinfo commentator, 4th ODI, Eng vs Pak, 8 Sept 2006

Sovik
September 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
"Cricket is obviously big in India and Bollywood is just as popular. I don't quite understand the language, but watch quite a bit of television when we are over there."
Graeme Smith is fascinated by Bollywood's in-your-face entertainment

jayed
October 2, 2006, 12:07 PM
wasim bowling a srilankan,
boycott- dat wed en absalute cowrker wed-nit?

shoaib bowling a srl:
ramij-raja: ooh, this is gone a mile way, the stump has

botham: lights are on, and so is the off-stump-brilliant shoaib akhtar

ramij raja on shoaib- 2 hot 2 handle, even in the heat

ramij raja- 100.2mph, brilliant stuff, england 7-1

jayed
October 2, 2006, 12:08 PM
this kid would make millions playin baseball in america

boycott on afridi

Sovik
November 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
"I don't care if Tony Blair or Robbie Williams bowl me the first ball of the Ashes series - all my team-mates and I care about is winning back the Ashes"
Justin Langer is raring to go

"What Indian farmers could not do to Sharad Pawar, Australian cricketers did."
Columnist TJS George puts the life of the Indian farmers in perspective

"Ricky Martin has always said Australia can...er...Ricky, er, Ponting. Ricky Ponting has always said Australia can lift themselves for the big occasion."
"And for that matter Ricky Martin, too."
Damien Fleming is quick to remind Bob Willis of another on-air gaffe during Sky Sports' commentary of the Champions Trophy
"Boys, I have to tell you this - I'm going to order myself a club sandwich and a coke, and I'm gonna lie right here by the pool and take in some rays for the rest of the afternoon. Right or wrong, that's what I'm going to do."
Herschelle Gibbs breaks his silence after his questioning by the New Delhi police, but this wasn't exactly what the media were looking for

Miraz
December 31, 2006, 01:12 PM
Cricket is not rocket science. You just bowl at the top of off-stump."
Matthew Hayden

"We never imagined this fat, podgy kid...would end up as one of the world's best bowlers."
Bill Lawry on Victoria's favourite son, Shane Warne

"When I told my children I was retiring they got a bit disappointed because they didn't think I was going to play backyard cricket with them. They said, 'Can you still play with us?' I said 'I can'."
Warne hasn't given up all forms of cricket, at least

"He's not that good. He tends to just start with a four-letter word and then says a load of nonsense."
Mark Taylor on whether Warne is one of the best sledgers ever

Miraz
January 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
http://img.cricinfo.com/cricinfo/furniture/quote-left_11x8.gif The best wicketkeeper... has to bat, and bat well. This is not new: the trend has, however, become much stronger. The effect on the standards of keeping everywhere has been quietly disastrous http://img.cricinfo.com/cricinfo/furniture/quote-right_12x9.gif

Pat Murphy from Wisden Almanack

Miraz
January 31, 2007, 07:55 AM
http://img.cricinfo.com/cricinfo/furniture/quote-left_11x8.gif "Bhai (Nafis) is not finished and he has enough time to come back in the national fold," "I hope both of us will play together in the national team." http://img.cricinfo.com/cricinfo/furniture/quote-right_12x9.gif

Tamim Iqbal believes in his elder brother Nafis Iqbal, who would come back into the national fold again.

gatekeeper
January 31, 2007, 08:24 AM
"Here's Razzaq into the attack. Pleasingly, that rhymes. I'm really quite a simple chap you know."

-Cricinfo commentator, 4th ODI, Eng vs Pak, 8 Sept 2006

Good one, where'dy dig that up from?

Sovik
February 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
this is a great one

"My theory is that every time a batsman plays and misses he should be asked to take off one piece of protective clothing of the bowler's choice."
Michael Kasprowicz takes a novel approach in the plan to contain batsmen

Miraz
February 22, 2007, 06:35 AM
'Dippenaar's finest one-day innings was arguably his seven-ball 1 on March 12, 2006, in that match at Johannesburg - by getting out of the way nice and early, he allowed his flashier team-mates to cut loose and hunt down Australia's incredible total of 434'.

Andrew Miller on Boeta Dippenaar.

AsifTheManRahman
February 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
Good one, where'dy dig that up from?

cricinfo live text commentary.

Miraz
April 6, 2007, 01:17 PM
" We learned how to dive and anticipate in fielding when we were 15, and not 25, so more focus needed to be given to the quality of coaching, umpiring and wickets at that level, so that no aaltu-faltu cricketers come through to the highest level."

Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, commenting on strengthening junior cricket.

Now, I am wondering who is aaltu-faltu cricketer in current India team?

AsifTheManRahman
April 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
George Bush's long-lost sibling?

"I was at matches early in the event where there was a lot of noise. I can't help it if people want to take a critical approach to all issues."
Malcolm Speed comes out fighting against critics who have said games have lacked atmosphere. Clearly Mr Speed has been watching a different World Cup to the rest of us

from cricinfo

Miraz
April 22, 2007, 06:56 AM
"BCCI is like a Marwari (businessman) whose product-standard is going down day by day but it is not answerable to anyone,"
Navjot Singh Sidhu in his latest interview.

"If true, then it could be the best thing that has happened for world cricket. Now even Ireland has a chance beating Australia sooner rather than later," :D

Sunil Gavaskar commenting on Australian media report that Chappell is a leading candidate to fill the Australian Cricket Academy head coach role vacated by new national coach Tim Nielsen.

Hatebreed
April 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
"Did I entertain?", asked Brian Lara during the final presentation of his last ever international match. The entire crowd responded with a resounding cheer and some even burst into tears.

Miraz
April 23, 2007, 08:24 AM
"Get out the birth certificates ... anyone who's 32 or over, they're out of it."
Bob Willis doesn't pull any punches after England crash out of the World Cup

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 06:58 AM
"This would be a first for Shoaib, who is widely regarded as a more committed playboy than cricketer."
Journalist Malcolm Conn reacts to a quote from Shoaib Akhtar that he had been keeping himself in shape during his lay-off

:)

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
"This would be a first for Shoaib, who is widely regarded as a more committed playboy than cricketer."
Journalist Malcolm Conn reacts to a quote from Shoaib Akhtar that he had been keeping himself in shape during his lay-off

:)

aah ... so that's how he kept himself in shape ... and that's why ...

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 07:37 AM
"If computer know-how is all that matters, then (Microsoft chairman) Bill Gates should have been the best cricket coach in the world."
Javed Miandad continues swinging at whatever comes his way

:-D

One World
June 17, 2007, 08:52 AM
good compilation..here is the latest

"I've been working out how to pronounce his name," says Nasser Hussain. "Chander- or Chandra-? I will ask him tonight." Mikey Holding confirms that the man himself says "Shandra". So now you know.

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 09:57 AM
good compilation..here is the latest

"I've been working out how to pronounce his name," says Nasser Hussain. "Chander- or Chandra-? I will ask him tonight." Mikey Holding confirms that the man himself says "Shandra". So now you know.
This depends on which part of india his ancestors came from,same word from Sanskrit took different shape in different languages.

One World
June 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
This depends on which part of india his ancestors came from,same word from Sanskrit took different shape in different languages.

Quiet agree. But as long as he calls himself Shandra people need to stick to that :) regardless of his decent which might be part-indian part-angolan part-guyanese who knows.

Sovik
June 19, 2007, 07:37 AM
"If my mum was alive she could captain England to play West Indies ... hopeless aren't they."
Geoffrey Boycott shoots from the hip

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
"If my mum was alive she could captain England to play West Indies ... hopeless aren't they."
Geoffrey Boycott shoots from the hip

:lol: ... Sir G really doesn't like Vaughan, does he? He once commented that his "mum" could hit Vaughan around the park with a stick of rhubarb, when Vaughan decided fancy himself as a "part-time bowler" a couple of years ago.

Sovik
June 19, 2007, 09:15 AM
he sure loves his mom. god bless her soul

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 09:17 AM
he sure loves his mom. god bless her soul

Apparently she was quite a backyard cricketer also.

Sovik
June 19, 2007, 09:24 AM
Apparently she was quite a backyard cricketer also.

no, she was something. could bowl from both ends, keep the wicket off her own bowling. she sure was wonder woman. being the son of her, its a shame that boycott was a lousy batsman.

Bengaliprince176
June 20, 2007, 06:36 AM
" I can get a double hundred in ODIs" - Sehwag (he hasnt got a century since, i dont count bermuda as a centruy)

Sovik
June 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
" I can get a double hundred in ODIs" - Sehwag (he hasnt got a century since, i dont count bermuda as a centruy)

every run counts. but the way he bats, if he could get set and bat for 50 overs he could score a double hundred and same goes for sahid afridi

One World
June 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
"The television has always been on in the background, whether it's at the gym when I'm training or at home when I'm having a meal or changing a nappy."
Matthew Hoggard on time spent recovering from injury

"Start the car, launch the pedalo."
David Lloyd gets very excited as Steve Harmison takes two quick wickets on the final day at Old Trafford. Andrew Flintoff was watching from the England balcony

Miraz
June 28, 2007, 08:31 AM
"Everything I am today is because of a simple cricket ball and I respect it very much. It's just an act of respect".

Lasith Malinga, when asked about kissing the ball each time before a delivery.

One World
June 28, 2007, 11:50 PM
"Here's how to look at it: if Test cricket is a long, deep and emotional relationship, and one-day cricket is a brief but passionate holiday romance, then Twenty20 is the frantic, drunken snog in a dark corner of Dukes just before the lights come up. Stick with that and you'll be fine."
Adams, English Spectator during WI innings

"Adam, does that make Pro40 a long snog? Or one of those holiday romances where you run off a day early and hide in case she tries to get your address?"
Glyn, English Spectator during Eng innings replies

(TWENTY20 INTERNATIONAL, BRIT OVAL:
West Indies 208-8 (20 overs) v England 193-7 (20 overs))

<!-- S SF -->

One World
July 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
On the surface, plenty. They have a new coach and a new captain (one called Peter, one called Paul).

Tim De Lisle in Cricinfo after England's second ODI defeat

Sovik
July 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
"It was a waste of time. The boot camp was a different way to reinforce the same things. My way would have been to lock us all up in a pub."
Shane Warne gives his alternative to Australia's controversial boot camp last year
"I'm not a big fan of John Buchanan. I didn't think he was a very good coach. What was his role? How could he teach someone to play a cover drive? How could he teach me to bowl? Some people thought he was fantastic and didn't get enough credit - I found that hard to believe."
Warne speaks bluntly about Australia's erstwhile coach

AsifTheManRahman
August 11, 2007, 03:47 PM
"My dad runs a takeaway in Paisley and I have to help out this weekend because my mum and brother are both away in Pakistan, one of our chefs is unavailable and our delivery driver has gone to jail for three weeks."
Well, that's one reason (or two) to make yourself unavailable for Scotland. With a few players withdrawing from the Ireland match, Majid Haq's excuse was the most bizarre
"I can't afford to take a step back in income because we are looking for a bigger house at the moment."
Scotland's Glenn Rogers highlights the differences between the big boys and the Associates after a course arranged by his employers caused him to miss a Scotland match
No wonder they don't have the elite status.

Nocturnal
August 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
Carl Hooper- The lollipop bowler
by Geoffrey Boycott :)

AsifTheManRahman
October 28, 2007, 12:49 AM
...and a few more Sidhuisms:

"It [Twenty20] is like chocolate which is bad for health and has to be given in small doses. At the same time chocolates are favoured by humans."
Navjot Sidhu gives his inimitable take on Twenty20 cricket
"Test cricket is like classical music which has survived since ancient ages. One-dayers are like film music that leaves people enthralled and T20 cricket is like disco and rap which provides occasional pleasure in short bursts."
Another typical Navjot Sidhu comment on cricket's various formats

source: cricinfo

AsifTheManRahman
October 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
"I am handsome but all the actresses can wait."
A modest Sreesanth disappoints the beauties who can't wait to star opposite him

-cricinfo

I laughed my buttocks off and wet my pants reading that.

Further montobbo nishproyojon.

Sovik
November 7, 2007, 06:14 AM
"We don't want him to end up as joker on both sides."
Ravi Shastri on being asked if Dav Whatmore, who is the director of operations at the National Cricket Academy, could also coach the Indian team

"Don't worry about two years of not playing Test cricket - I hadn't held a bat for three months before I came here."
Marvan Atapattu reflects on his batting ahead of the Australian barrage

"There is no doubt I am overweight. I don't know how far over I am. I just don't feel all that comfortable at the moment ... But I'd argue that, historically speaking, cricketers have proven - as I have over the last five years - that weight is not a selection criteria."
Stuart MacGill chews the fat as he waits to see if he's in Australia's squad for the first Test against Sri Lanka

Sovik
November 18, 2007, 03:15 PM
"Ye to Geoffrey Boycott ki ma bhi pakad leti". [Even Geoffrey Boycott's mum would have caught this.]
Atul Wassan gets innovative in describing the sitter Misbah-ul-Haq dropped in the slips, off Robin Uthappa's bat.

AsifTheManRahman
November 18, 2007, 05:52 PM
Boycott's momma's sure become famous over the years. All thanks to our batsmen.

Buddhika_s
December 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
"Is that Ranatunga? Strewth, he's not missed many lunches has he?"
Sky Sports' David Lloyd as the camera turns on a rather portly looking Arjuna Ranatunga in the stands at Kandy

Sovik
December 9, 2007, 06:53 AM
"Ask him about his nuts, they are massive."
Brad Haddin gives a group of journalists a not-so-subtle hint about one of the symptoms of Phil Jaques' recent bout of the mumps

Sovik
January 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
On a rest day during the Indian tour in 1977-78, Don Bradman was around in the nets. I was bowling only legspin to him, but he had a couple of young blokes trying to get him out. With no pads, no nothing ... for a 68-year-old, he belted the hell out of them on a turf wicket. And he hadn't batted for 20 years. I went back in and said, "Why isn't this bastard playing with us tomorrow?" That's how good I thought he was.

Jeff Thompson

Miraz
May 4, 2008, 10:32 AM
"When you've been abused as many times as I have, mate, you are bound to understand some Hindi and Urdu."
Greg Chappell has a hilarious explanation for his language skills

"The best part was in the bar afterwards. Everybody was banned so it was a pretty relaxed atmosphere. I had a blast."
Shane Bond on life in the Indian Cricket League

Sovik
September 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
"Boycott can say what he wants. He once batted the whole day and hit just one four"
Virender Sehwag takes recourse to history to hit back after Geoff Boycott referred to him as "talented but brainless"
Sep 13, 2008

Zeeshan
September 14, 2008, 01:08 PM
"Obviously." -Batting legend Ashraful

Zeeshan
September 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
As Daryll Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Shane Warne told him he had been waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him.

"Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

BD-Shardul
October 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
I think Zaheer's quotes (read big mouth) will stir up Oz in Mohali:

Zaheer Khan produced a Man-of-the-Match performance in Bangalore before saving his most vicious delivery for after the game. Not satisfied with his all-round efforts, Zaheer attacked Australia's bowlers for being ineffective throughout the opening contest.

"They know they can't take 20 wickets and they are on the back foot," Khan said. "They couldn't get me or Bhajji [Harbhajan Singh] out. So we are in with a big chance. They are under pressure - we know that. So we are looking ahead at the second game."

The teams will head to Mohali on Tuesday carrying extra tension following Zaheer's comprehensive post-mortem of the tourists' performance. Australia were unable to dismiss India on the final day - bad light cost them ten overs and a little momentum - after setting an unlikely target of 299.

After the match Zaheer said the Australians had employed defensive tactics and their spin bowling was a huge weakness. "I have never seen an Australian team play such defensive cricket, which is a good thing for us," he said.

"On a fifth-day pitch the spinners could not do us any harm. That shows what their spin attack is all about." The debutant Cameron White and part-timer Michael Clarke combined for only three wickets in the game.

But Zaheer wasn't finished. "Even the pacers didn't look like getting wickets at any stage today."

Ponting was bemused by Zaheer's "defensive" charge. "I don't know what he means, to tell the truth," he said. "We were the only ones trying to take the game forward. We played aggressive cricket. He can have a little bit of a chuckle on the inside at what he's had to say. I don't think it means too much to us."

The exchange adds weight to a rivalry that has simmered since Australia beat India 2-1 at home in 2007-08. It also ensures there will be more spice in the lead-up to the match in Mohali starting Friday.

Zaheer was involved in a short, heated argument with wicketkeeper Brad Haddin while he was batting on the third day and said he expected such behaviour from his opponents. "We all know Aussies do all these kind of things," he said. "We settled the matter on the field and did not take it any further."

Zaheer collected six wickets for the match, including 5 for 91 in the first innings, to go with his unbeaten 57. Ponting said Zaheer's partnership with Harbhajan, when they rescued India from 232 for 7 on the way to 360, was a big turning point.

"Up till then we were way ahead," he said. "The lead went from 180 to 200 to 70. They took the momentum."

Zaheer was pleased to have succeeded with the ball along with Ishant Sharma in the first innings. "It was very important for me when we lost the toss that the fast bowlers took responsibility," he said. "We responded and are very happy that as a bowling unit we did that for this match."

Sovik
October 18, 2008, 02:10 PM
"To me he will not just be remembered as a great player and a lovely human being, but as somebody who tried to learn Bengali for the last 14 years but never managed to do so!"
Sourav Ganguly pays a sort of tribute to Sachin Tendulkar

Miraz
October 18, 2010, 04:32 PM
On Banglawash by NZPA (New Zealand Press Association)

Experiencing that magnitude of defeat was acceptable, even anticipated, visiting the Caribbean when the West Indies were in their pomp. But Bangladesh? Unforgiveable.

BANFAN
October 19, 2010, 04:08 AM
On Banglawash by NZPA (New Zealand Press Association)

Superb Quote; you dug it out after exactly 2 years ... Thanks

Miraz
October 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
On recent Bangladesh tour.

"I knew things weren't going to be easy, and you had to be mentally quite tough. You weren't going to bounce guys out, but if you ran-in hard and hit the deck, then you could get some variable bounce. They [the crowds] were pretty loud; even when they [Bangladesh] scored a run, it was like they had won the World Cup."

Habib
October 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Ha ha. Benett amader batsmen der k intimidate korbe ki, he himself was intimidated by the crowd :)

Beamer
October 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
" I won't even send my mother-in-law to Pakistan " - Ian Botham : )

hoax
October 22, 2010, 01:43 AM
"They [the crowds] were pretty loud; even when they [Bangladesh] scored a run, it was like they had won the World Cup."
Because thats how we bangalis are..If any team deserves to win the world cup not on performance but on shear patriotism its bangladesh