PDA

View Full Version : What the ...? A Nepalese to play County cricket before any Bangladeshi????

RazabQ
June 19, 2006, 06:29 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/5060586.stm
মন্তব্য নিঃষ্প্রয়োজন

James90
June 19, 2006, 06:47 PM
It's different though because it looks like this Akhtar character has English citizenship. I'm sure if Bashar or Rafique were English they would be playing county cricket and doing quite well. Lancashire can't just pick Ashraful because he's doing well at club level. They're already signed Brad Hodge and Nathan Astle as their overseas players. Kenya wicketkeeper Janmohammad played county cricket as well. It's no bias against Bangladesh.

It's simply an English resident working his way through the club system the normal way and making a presence for the Surrey 2nd XI. The fact that he is of Nepalese descent is purely co-incidence.

RazabQ
June 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
I don't think Akhtar is a citizen. He's probably there on a student visa - like Imran Khan of yore. And I wasn't hinting at bias - the bangla statment I had read something like "comments unnecessary". It's more like "aaargh, why don't we have an Mehrab Jr. or Sakib, in the schools or possessing an UK passport" thing :)

cricman
June 19, 2006, 07:12 PM
I think the best way for a BD player to get a county contract is for the ICC to make a Champions League for Clubs.

The Top 2 Domestic teams from each country get to participate with only 1 foregin player per side. So If a BD club or player shows a strong game vs team from SA or Australia the more eyes it will open

SMHasan
June 19, 2006, 08:30 PM
ICC could arrange a champions league. Its a good idea. I think its a better idea than afro asian cricket series or world eleven vs Australia. Club cricket might bring more money and produce enthusiasm.

fjahan
June 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
players from netherlands and ireland have also represesnted counties too..!

abdulw11
June 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
Just imagine what would happen if we were playing India or Pakistan? We should also be looking to host triangular series between the India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka A teams and then eventually have senior teams over for one-day internationals.

I found this quite offensive...Nepal don't even have ODI status yet they still think they can overlook Bangladesh.

Tigers_eye
June 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
This is how Kenyan's felt when we got the test status. :)

After all if you went by performance they where better than us in the 1998-2004 time.

Hasib
June 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
ok don't panic ppl its not like he has been selected yet. If he gets picked for county it will be only because he got the opportunity to play cricket in England...not because he is a Nepalese.

Ockey
June 20, 2006, 11:59 AM
ok don't panic ppl its not like he has been selected yet. If he gets picked for county it will be only because he got the opportunity to play cricket in England...not because he is a Nepalese.
I would agree. At the end of the day it's the most deserving player who should get a chance. Maybe the county side sees talent in Akhtar that's not evident in Bangladeshi players. Fankly, given the inconsistency of the BD players I am not surprised none have been chosen to play county cricket as of yet.

It's only a matter of time before a BD player plays for a county side. I'd rahter have a good consistent BD player given a chance to play for a county side than a token figure head.