PDA

View Full Version : Mani: "Conferring Test status to B'Desh was a mistake"

cricman
June 30, 2006, 02:48 PM
London, June 30. (UNI): In a candid admission, outgoing ICC president Ehsan Mani has said that conferring Test status to Bangladesh on the basis of their one-day performances was a mistake.

"The mistake we (the ICC) made in the past -- we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them -- is the way that countries like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were brought into Test cricket," Mani, who hands over the reins to South African Percy Sonn on July 7 told 'Cricinfo' magazine while reflecting upon his three-year term as the ICC president.

"They became Test-playing nations on the strength of ODI performances and that was wrong. We should've given them more support in terms of playing more of the longer version of the game," he said.

At least he admit it, But why change his views after 3 yrs of defending us? It's probably because he still supports our Test Status.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200606301712.htm

Tigers_eye
June 30, 2006, 02:58 PM
How would ICC support Zim and Bd without giving the test status? No country would visit us nor would they grant permission for us to play them. Just what the kenyan's are finding out. Our boards wouldn't have the money to build the stadiums, nor would they the capabilities of improving domestic status. Now, with the status we can play teams like Australia and South Africa because of the FTP.

There is no short cut to promote a country unless throw them in to the fire. Sri-Lanka already had the infra structure were as we didn't. Mani is regreting and trying to justify India not allowing Bangladesh (and avoiding punishment from the ICC) to tour their country and the flawed FTP.

Miraz
June 30, 2006, 03:09 PM
Its really a very bad way to play the ball just before the end of his tenure. It really shows weak character of Mani. He defended the decision a number of times and at the end playing double standard!!!

Now, Bangladesh needs to perform to answer these critics.

israr
June 30, 2006, 03:13 PM
whatever it is, india will host us in the future without a doubt(you bet they won't?) and as usual, icc will keep on changing comments according to situations, so just leave them with their.......%*&?:"@#><"&$^%"$}

Sovik
June 30, 2006, 03:16 PM
bangladeshi cricketers should answer to those critisism. enough is enough. we need to put up fight against every team from now on. we showed possibilites against australia now we have to do it against every country

SS
June 30, 2006, 04:16 PM
It's kinda hard to accept that Bangladesh won't be playing any test matches SOON
why? ... we all know that, even as a vivid supporter/complainer, I feel very EMPTY coming to banglacricket. I recall those early days when BD used to play frequently.
It's a typical political and professional action of ICC. I faced it and facing it at work. When they try to get rid off any worker, either boldy fire them or just put the person in corner with "less challenging" work so that they suffer and "die out". ICC, including our neighbors(especially Ind, Pak) won't play with us and will put us side giving excuses. And forget about other countries, they won't play with us giving false allegations of our caliber, safety issues. What is left for us?
We might be playing with Zimb, kenya could be Associates TOO. Sctoland, Ireland, Canada AGAIN?? Can ICC be that much ruthless to us. Could be.

This is a perfect example of professional world where if you are not serious you loose your ground. Four years after we got test status, did we improve? YES WE DID. but is it upto the mark of international level cricket, NO WE DIDN'T. WHY?

We failed to utilize it, our board failed to utilize it. But they didn't fail to take the money in the pocket. Why BCB didn't take steps to sent players offshore to county leagues. Why they didn't sent them, not to "MRF"(what they will teach our kids, when the seniors don't wana play with us), but to other aussie academy. Just for two weeks, getting them tickets for couple thousands bucks and their boardings and the tuiton fees became a big deal to BCB who got so much funding from ICC for DEVELOPMENT.

There was once arrangement playing in Ranji Trophy and that's it. That's all BCB can do to IMPROVE our cricketing structure! Bulbul played in Australia, not through BCB i believe, Did they sent Rana and what happend to him now? Ash is playing in Rainhill, did BCB even know that It's NOT a county team and still they rely on him as the HEART of our team? OK, I agree Under 19 team was in great touch with two classic coaches and we got the result. But how they are nurturing these young players. By putting them straight to the real Team. I understand other teams got young players, but they come from a strong background. their LEAGUES make them prepared to go to the national team.

BCB might say we have infrastructure problems, political unstability, not enough FUNDING, rainy season so and so. I agree with it, why they don't send some promising kid to outside, may be it is our turns to imply outsourcing mantro!!! Hey all companies do it for good result, why not the company named "BCB". May be they are scared that CEO's won't put enough money in pocket; they could be mad if they don't get to spend their vacs on Dubai, Singapore or even in US. Why sending a kid to Australia when we can go with family over there. They also might be scared that our youngster won't return home as it is a common thing in our sports industry.

There will be more titles, more press releases, more humiliations for us. We all wait for that visionary leadership who will change the system, our cricket, our love for it. Hey leaders!!! give us some break, we dont need your "visionary" leadership and dreams that you are showing us since the days of independence. Your guidance in politics, law, governance, education, business, professions etc. took us to the number one position in the world. How far we can go as we already "top" the list? Oh I forgot to mention it's the other way around, we are on top of the "unique" list of the world. PLEASE spear us atleast from the sports, that's all we have left. Please spear us.

chinaman
June 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
From a quick flashback, someone is definitely lying, who do you think it is, Mani or Speed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/ban_v_eng_2003/3260831.stm

Malcolm Speed:
It was not a mistake to grant them test status

Interestingly Mani said:
"They are, however, a member of the ICC and we can only think of ways to take them forward."

Now, how does his recent comment can take a nation forward? The guy must have been drinking something at the eve of his farewell. Better explanation anyone?

al Furqaan
June 30, 2006, 05:54 PM
what mani said, is not wrong...the problem is, that it is not correct either.

one cannot grant Test status on the basis of ODI status...but that is how it must be done. Bangladesh are now after 5 years, showing that they belong. we aren't there yet, but closer no doubt than 2003, 2000, 1999, 98, or 97 for sure.

this is the only way that teams can be brought out...perhaps back in the old days, teams played a lotta FC cricket and that is how india, pak, SA, NZ, WI got test status and were ready for it. but today that is not at all a feasible situation.

suppose BD and Kenya had ODI status and not Test today in 2006. how many FC games would BD and Kenya get...i doubt they would play even four 3-day matches per year. and those too would be against an Australia C or D team.

so based on those results...when the teams do get test status...they would get crushed like eggs. of course, they would probably draw nearly every 3-day match.

so FC cricket may be a better indicator than ODI success, but not by much. in fact, it may be equally inaccurate.

so common sense would support mani's statement that BD does not deserve Test status...but actuality and empirical evidence states that there is no short cut to cricketing parity.

you must play real 5-day test matches, to become good at real 5-day test matches. end of story

Xavier
June 30, 2006, 05:57 PM
What about scheduled test series to New Zealand in december? Both teams need to play more tests so it could be possible...

SMHasan
June 30, 2006, 08:25 PM
It's kinda hard to accept that Bangladesh won't be playing any test matches SOON
why? ... we all know that, even as a vivid supporter/complainer, I feel very EMPTY coming to banglacricket. I recall those early days when BD used to play frequently.
It's a typical political and professional action of ICC. I faced it and facing it at work. When they try to get rid off any worker, either boldy fire them or just put the person in corner with "less challenging" work so that they suffer and "die out". ICC, including our neighbors(especially Ind, Pak) won't play with us and will put us side giving excuses. And forget about other countries, they won't play with us giving false allegations of our caliber, safety issues. What is left for us?
We might be playing with Zimb, kenya could be Associates TOO. Sctoland, Ireland, Canada AGAIN?? Can ICC be that much ruthless to us. Could be.

Its true that we have a fear of loosing test matches in future but if you look at the FTP then its clear we will play test matches very soon against big guns. But unfortunately we have no test until next year. The FTP will go ahead so we won't have to play against the oppositions like Kenya, Ireland or Scotland!If the ICC be ruthless to us then the FTP might fall apart. And don't think that our Asian counterparts Pakistan and SriLanka (forget India) have already left us alone.

To be honest this Ehsan Mani and Co is a two faced monster.

reza_15
June 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
ICC has to understand the fact that teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh will need time to improve. we got to prove it to them that we are able to play test - crickets. The best way we could answer to their criticism is by moving on to the next round of Champions trophy by beating two teams.

Rabz
July 1, 2006, 03:54 AM
to me it sounds like Mani is just a [...edited..].... and a traitor
he reigns supreme as the ICC President and just the moment he is about to go out... makes such a comment...

its not about whether we deserved or not.. we already got it and its all under the bridge...

but i have to question his ethic's here...
not only he failed to stand behind his org's decision, he is also putting the next president into hot water... quite deliberately..

after all, he is a Paki, what do u expect outta him ??

its also part of bigger theory.. Everytime Bangladesh would try to get something from thier neighbouring counterparts, someone :-/ would throw the age old question bout our eligibility in the game...

but then again, when India would need something to be done... they automatically count our vote as its their divine right to do so...

Nothing but a double standard, nothing but dirty politics..
and if u hv such a bone-less [..edited..] administrators like that of Cricket Bangladesh, what else would u expect but hear this sort of comments...

Only hope our players can answer them in the field...

Mod Warning: be civil in selecting words.

asterix
July 1, 2006, 04:10 AM
. The best way we could answer to their criticism is by moving on to the next round of Champions trophy by beating two teams.

Even if Bangladesh moves to the finals in the upcoming champions trophy,what will it prove? that,they have improved as a test side.For heavens sake don't club ODI and Test together.Nobody doubts Bangladesh's ODI prowess ,its the Test Status that the ICC is talking about.It is about the ability to play 5 day games.
Bangladesh team will have to prove the critics wrong and only way they can do this is to display a much improved performance in Tests,say at least in the next 10 tests against the established teams.To start with they should not lose ,atleast .Draw.Next step is Win.And let the players play in the league matches ,wherever and whenever they get chance ;in Aus,SA,Eng,Ind,Pak,SL if the chance is there just grab it.They have to play 3-4 day games a lot, if possible ,participate as a team in those above countries domestic cricket.BCB shouild play an active role here.There are no shortcuts,just play quality cricket against quality sides (in domestic tournaments anywhere)very frequently,specially those 3-4 day games and the difference will be visible in the next 2-3 years.

Sam
July 1, 2006, 04:37 AM
I have every doubt in the truth of this report. It is published in The Hindu and source is UNI. No other reputed news agencies have broken the news. Even there is nothing of this sort in the ICC news. The Hindu made it believable by using the word "candid" and made his statement informal. This is nothing but another bashing by our reverend neighborhood media.

Hasib
July 1, 2006, 06:24 AM
How reliable is this source...just a thought.

cricman
July 1, 2006, 08:55 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/251864.html

The mistake we made in the past - we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them - is the way that countries like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were brought into Test cricket. They became Test-playing nations on the strength of ODI performances and that was wrong. We should've given them more support in terms of playing more of the longer version of the game.

Hasib
July 1, 2006, 06:46 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/251864.html

Well the 2 are different... according to cricinfo then we werent properly prepared for it...whilst according to the hindutimes its we didnt deserve it at all. there is a difference so they probably misquoted him in the hindutimes.

Omio
July 1, 2006, 08:04 PM
may b he was drunk..

thebest
July 1, 2006, 08:53 PM
Whether Hindu is playing with words or not, is not ICC trying its best to rectify their so called mistake? Otherwise how could you justify there is no test for us for a year and ICC doing nothing?

mac
July 2, 2006, 09:38 AM
Ehsan Mani has gone mad after realizing that his time is finishing.:flag:

6alltheway
July 2, 2006, 05:12 PM
How would ICC support Zim and Bd without giving the test status? No country would visit us nor would they grant permission for us to play them. Just what the kenyan's are finding out. Our boards wouldn't have the money to build the stadiums, nor would they the capabilities of improving domestic status. Now, with the status we can play teams like Australia and South Africa because of the FTP.

There is no short cut to promote a country unless throw them in to the fire. Sri-Lanka already had the infra structure were as we didn't. Mani is regreting and trying to justify India not allowing Bangladesh (and avoiding punishment from the ICC) to tour their country and the flawed FTP.

Nicely Put. Its better it happened then if it didnt.

cricbb
July 3, 2006, 07:34 AM
whatever, he;s saying it does not matter, we are test playing nation that is improving 'just ask the Aussies' . Come on bangladesh prove your worth to everyone.If the last test performance is anything to go by then it is the right direction.

istiak
July 3, 2006, 07:55 AM
Well the 2 are different... according to cricinfo then we werent properly prepared for it...whilst according to the hindutimes its we didnt deserve it at all. there is a difference so they probably misquoted him in the hindutimes.

I don't see much differences and for all the news seem correct.

orzoon
July 4, 2006, 01:21 AM
How reliable is this source...just a thought.

Do you see what I see,Do you hear what I hear,Do you smell what I smell.
Don't think so ,as it seems that you have got extrasensory powers.

Do you care explaining lesser mortals like me how "the 2 are different". I tried could not.Or are you so paranoid that you see things ,where there are none?

Hasib
July 4, 2006, 01:36 AM
The 1st one is we shudnt have been given status at all

the 2nd one is we shud have been given it but with a cedrtain plan.

orzoon... my senses r fine thankyou

but i feel sorry for u from the bottom of my heart....ur senses seem to be rather under developed

:floor:

orzoon
July 4, 2006, 03:11 AM
Don't feel sorry for me ,after all God has not given me extra-sensory powers like you.You should be proud of those.

Let's do a small analyis :

In Hindu :
Conferring Test status to B'Desh was a mistake: Ehsan Mani
London, June 30. (UNI): In a candid admission, outgoing ICC president Ehsan Mani has said that conferring Test status to Bangladesh on the basis of their one-day performances was a mistake.

"The mistake we (the ICC) made in the past -- we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them -- is the way that countries like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were brought into Test cricket," Mani, who hands over the reins to South African Percy Sonn on July 7 told 'Cricinfo' magazine while reflecting upon his three-year term as the ICC president.

"They became Test-playing nations on the strength of ODI performances and that was wrong. We should've given them more support in terms of playing more of the longer version of the game," he said.

On the future of the game in crisis-ridden Zimbabwe, Mani said the African nation was not yet ready to be brought back in the longer version of cricket.

"Zimbabwe is playing international cricket as ODI matches are still being played. It will play in the World Cup. There is no threat to Zimbabwe's ICC membership as a full member," he said.
.... .... .... ......
.... .... .... ......
In CricInfo:
.... .... .... ......
With the schedules now packed so tight, how realistic is it to induct new countries and expand further?

Mani said: ...... ....
..... ....
"The mistake we made in the past - we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them - is the way that countries like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were brought into Test cricket. They became Test-playing nations on the strength of ODI performances and that was wrong. We should've given them more support in terms of playing more of the longer version of the game. "
.... .... .... ......
__________________________________________________ _______________________-
Mani's comments (bold and underlined ,above) are ditto same on both.

Lets Analyse Hindu's words in the 1st para ....(maybe from where you drew your inference or got the assumptions )
(Para 2 and 3 are Mani's text and Reference to Cricinfo's interview,Para 4 to last Para discusses other things)

1st Para (in Hindu):
In a candid admission, outgoing ICC president Ehsan Mani has said that conferring Test status to Bangladesh on the basis of their one-day performances was a mistake.

Questions :
1. Was it a candid admission ?
2. Was he a outgoing President ?
3. Did Mani say that it was a mistake ?
4. What is the mistake Mani talking about? Is it conferring Test Status on Basis of One-Dayers ?
Ans
1. Yes. He said "The mistake we made in the past - we should be honest enough accept and learn from them .."
2. Yes
3. Yes "The mistake we made in the past - ......."
4. It's obvious.Yes.It's all there in his Quote.

On what basis did you say
Well the 2 are different... according to cricinfo then we werent properly prepared for it...whilst according to the hindutimes its we didnt deserve it at all. there is a difference so they probably misquoted him in the hindutimes
The 1st one is we shudnt have been given status at all
the 2nd one is we shud have been given it but with a cedrtain plan.

I am dying to know it.I will always be indebted to you if you kindly explain it to a lesser mortal like me.

Hasib
July 4, 2006, 04:09 AM
I advice u read it again ;)

orzoon
July 4, 2006, 04:33 AM
Nope, I didn't find anything.
I am ignoring the Headlines of course.
So, come up with your explanation.

Hasib
July 4, 2006, 06:01 AM
Nope, I didn't find anything.
I am ignoring the Headlines of course.
So, come up with your explanation.

well well well ur senses are not upto scrach now r they :D

dash
July 4, 2006, 11:02 AM
bc fans are getting pathetic. dont think i am laughing. its sickening

orzoon
July 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
bc fans are getting pathetic. dont think i am laughing. its sickening
agreed,though I would say some,others are good.

me asked him to come up with some explanation to support his views and this is what he came up with

well well well ur senses are not upto scrach now r they :D
What is a "scrach" ?:confused:

Don't the staff members have more responsibilty rather than having some imbecilic views.(Most of them are good though,it just takes one ____ apple to ruin the whole lot.)

chinaman
July 5, 2006, 02:35 AM
dash,
Your comment about "bc fans" above is a poor characterization. No?

BTW, it is interesting to see someone eager to support it!

Hasib & orzoon,
Guys, no personal attacks please. You guys don't have to agree with each other.

orzoon
July 6, 2006, 01:54 AM
It's an interesting world.We live in an interesting planet where there are interesting people,where people have interesting cars,interesting music,interesting tastes,interesting hallucinations,interesting interests,interesting goals,interesting food,interesting dreams,interesting fashion,interesting views,interesting life etc so why not some interesting support?

If there was any personal attack or if it was interpreted to be as such it was totally unintentional.

What I wanted were the reasons :
I saw a fruit.To me it was an apple and but somebody else saw it as a Pear,so I checked out and found it still to be an apple.I became curious I wanted to know why he saw it as a Pear.I gave my reasons why I thought it to be an apple and waited in vain for his reasons.It never came.And ,I give up my wait.

Baundule
July 6, 2006, 04:10 AM
He is getting delirious!

layperson
July 6, 2006, 07:44 AM
Shahriyar: " Making Ehsan Mani the ICC president was a mistake."

In a candid admission, a cricket fan Shahriyar has said that making Ehsan Mani the ICC President was a mistake.
"The mistake we (the fans) made in the past -- we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them -- is the way that most of the ICC presidents were held hostage to the cricketing powers like India.This was nothing but an honourary position as long as ppl like MAni occupy it."

"Instead of choosing sychophants for the job we should have had someone who had the guts to take the Cricket world by the chains and administer ICC's powers properly. For the good of the game we need to stay away from hypocrites like Mani who changes tone like a chameleon changes colour,"he said.

cricket_dorshok
July 6, 2006, 09:24 AM

In a candid admission, a cricket fan Shahriyar has said that making Ehsan Mani the ICC President was a mistake.
"The mistake we (the fans) made in the past -- we should be honest enough to accept and learn from them -- is the way that most of the ICC presidents were held hostage to the cricketing powers like India.This was nothing but an honourary position as long as ppl like MAni occupy it."

"Instead of choosing sychophants for the job we should have had someone who had the guts to take the Cricket world by the chains and administer ICC's powers properly. For the good of the game we need to stay away from hypocrites like Mani who changes tone like a chameleon changes colour,"he said.

well said Shahriyar :D

sadi
July 7, 2006, 10:31 AM

Good one :up: :D