PDA

View Full Version : BD ODI squad announced: 2 new face

nannu
July 3, 2006, 08:28 AM
Bangladesh name young allrounders
AFP, July 3, 2006

Bangladesh have named Saqibul Hasan and Forhad Reza, two young allrounders, in their 15-man squad for the tour of Zimbabwe and Kenya following outstanding performances with the youth teams over the past year.

Hasan is a left-arm spinner and a middle-order batsman who had an outstanding season with the Bangladesh under-19 squad and is currently with the A squad in Zimbabwe. Reza, a middle-order batsman and a seam bowler, was the top-scorer in last year's domestic league.

Faruq Ahmed, the chief selector said: "They are very good cricketers in all departments of the game. We have high hopes from them and it's time for them to perform at the international level."

Tushar Imran, the middle order batsman with 35 ODIs under his belt and the left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak were dropped from the side that also sees the return of Mushfiqur Rahim, the U-19 captain. Bangladesh, who beat Kenya 4-0 in a one-day series at home earlier this year, will leave for Nairobi on July 16.

They will play three one-day matches against Kenya on July 19, 22 and 23. Habibul Bashar's team will also play five one-dayers against Zimbabwe starting on July 29.

Squad Habibul Bashar (capt), Mohammad Ashraful, Shahriar Nafees, Rajin Saleh, Javed Omar, Aftab Ahmed, Mushfiqur Rahim, Khaled Mashud, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Mortaza, Syed Rasel, Shahadat Hossain, Forhad Reza, Saqibul Hasan, Alok Kapali

© Cricinfo

Source: Cricinfo >> (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/252258.html)

It looks to me a pretty good team. Only i am tired of listening how much talented kapali is.

nannu

Tigers_eye
July 3, 2006, 08:58 AM
Well he is currently performing good (kopali) and trying to save the 3rd match.

Miraz
July 3, 2006, 09:13 AM
From the declared squad my playing XI for the /Zim tour should be

Shahriar Nafees
Javed Omar/Rajin Saleh (In alternate ODI's)
Aftab Ahmed
Mohammad Ashraful
Habibul Bashar
Sakib - Al - Hasan/Farhad Reza (4+4)
Mushfiqur Rahim/Khaled Masud (4+4)
Mohammad Rafiq
Mashrafee Mortaza
Shahadat Hossain/Alok Kapali (May get 1 or 2 opportunities)
Syed Rasel

My first choice players are mentioned first.

In my opinion Sakib, Farhad and Mushfiq should get at least 4 (We are playing 8 ODI's) caps each in this series. I am not finding any place for Alok. He can play only when we will field 2 pacers instead of 3.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2006, 10:04 AM
razzak should not have been dropped...he was a standout in the aussie series.

cricket_pagol
July 3, 2006, 10:06 AM
Tushar Imran does not get as much opportunity as Alok Kapali. Quite unfortunate!!!

Sovik
July 3, 2006, 10:28 AM
Why javed omar? They should have included Tushar Imran

Aritro
July 3, 2006, 10:33 AM
I'm happy with that squad.

Couple of youngsters being thrown into mix, Mushfiqur Rahim retained, Tushar Imran ommitted, can't ask for much more than that.

Spitfire_x86
July 3, 2006, 10:37 AM
NOT Golla again :E

babubangla
July 3, 2006, 10:38 AM
I wonder...why Manzarul Islam Rana suddenly out of scene?

mafizraju
July 3, 2006, 10:53 AM
I realy dont understand few points :
1. On what ground Tushar Imran is dropped
2. Why suddenly there is no Manjarul Rana anywhere. His departure was very unfortunate.....
3. On what ground Forhad Reza is being selected. I understand he has been top scorer in domestic league. But thats only for a season. He should have tried only after at least one more successful year.......... Same mistakes again, again and again....

cricket_pagol
July 3, 2006, 11:21 AM
Why didn't they play Forhad Reza in the A Team? He should have scored some consistent runs in the A team, before getting selected for the national team.

kalpurush
July 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have the same question about Forhad Reza like cricket_pagol! Selection procedure should have a set standard and must be followed accordingly. Without any A Team experience how could a new player be selected for National team?!:-/

TheWatcher
July 3, 2006, 01:37 PM
Considering current form, Mehrab Jr sure deserved a chance. He could have been included in place of Golla.

Is Sakib's bowling action cleared yet ?

rudro
July 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
Considering current form, Mehrab Jr sure deserved a chance. He could have been included in place of Golla.

Exactly! ছাগল দিয়ে গরু চাষ করলে কৃষকের যে অবস্থা হয় আর কি! ফারুকের কল্যাণে আমাদের টিমেরও একই অবস্থা। মেহরাবের থাকা দরকার ছিল এই দলে - গোল্লা অথবা সাকিব এর বদলে (সাকিব এ টিম-এ ফ্লপ মেরেছে)।

billah
July 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
Farhad ahead of Mehrab jr is a mistake. Shahadat is a must. Alok is a must not. Tushar should have been given another opportunity.

al Furqaan
July 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
lets see what this farhad guy can do...im not sold on him, but im not against it either...remember nazmul was unknown and had a pretty decent debut 5 matches.

alok, i think should be there because with his talent its a matter of time, tushar maybe.

i think razzak and rana...at least 1 of those 2 should have been in the squad.

and mehrab jr did deserve the spot over farhad.

SMHasan
July 3, 2006, 08:18 PM
I have the same question about Forhad Reza like cricket_pagol! Selection procedure should have a set standard and must be followed accordingly. Without any A Team experience how could a new player be selected for National team?!:-/

Really we need to set a standard to select players. We just cant randomly give the caps! We need to find out why some players are missing like Manjurul. Why giving Farhad the cap now? We shouldn't do too many experiments right now.

cricketboy
July 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
Razzak should have been selected inplace of Reza. :rolleyes:

Sovik
July 3, 2006, 09:26 PM
we will have a great time bashing golla again. don't understand why our selectors keep selecting him

fuzzy
July 3, 2006, 10:31 PM
my xI bd team against keyna on 19th
Shahriar Nafees
Mohammad Ashraful
Aftab Ahmed
Habibul Bashar
Sakib - Al - Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mohammad Rafiq
Mashrafee Mortaza
Shahadat Hossain
Syed Rasel
abdur razzak or alok
i reacon dis is best side ban has right now, i now every1 a little suprised about k mashud not being there, but it is time for him 2 realise that there another keeper who can do better, his discusting batting vs aus in 1st test has changed my pespective on him. his experienced but very bad perfoming.playing his stupid sweap shot(very often) when could hav played a pull shot.playing aganst kenya mushfique will feel easir than sri.
havn't seen mushfiqur play but read about him alot, its time for him 2 play some sensible cricket. da reason ash bein on top, i hav said a few times before. as we all aware his our best talent, he needs 2 get da be oppotunity.it can be tried only aganst kenya.iam givin saqib a chance rajin. i think rajin is a test player.

bapzmania
July 4, 2006, 05:36 AM
bro u juz selected my dream team for bangladesh...where Ashraful shud open the innings if we want to make ne fight against big teams....n also like the decission where u choose Musfiq in place of Masud...cuz Musfiq at least know how to play ODI.....:flag:

thebest
July 4, 2006, 06:47 AM
Can someone tell me what Rana and Razzak did to be dropped and Golla to be retained? Did the jokers (not my words; Mahindar Amarnath's word) want to destroy Farhad Reza and Sakib the same way they destroy Faisal Hossain Dickens. One good season and he is in. So why not Rokon, Mehrab?

Miraz
July 4, 2006, 07:15 AM
Can someone tell me what Rana and Razzak did to be dropped and Golla to be retained? Did the jokers (not my words; Mahindar Amarnath's word) want to destroy Farhad Reza and Sakib the same way they destroy Faisal Hossain Dickens. One good season and he is in. So why not Rokon, Mehrab?

The case of Sakib and Dickens is not similar. Sakib has grown up with proper cricketing grammar and technique. He was a part of under 19 campaign and a proven performer at that level. Dickens lacked technique to play international level.

Not sure about Farhad Reza :confused:

mildwind
July 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
Unfortunate to see Tushar Imran is dropped. He should have given more time in my perspective.

The team selection is well composed though. Hope it will worl out for us.

thebest
July 4, 2006, 09:27 AM
The case of Sakib and Dickens is not similar. Sakib has grown up with proper cricketing grammar and technique. He was a part of under 19 campaign and a proven performer at that level. Dickens lacked technique to play international level.

Not sure about Farhad Reza :confused:

sorry to confuse u. Actually I was refering Farhad Reza. On Sakib, I think Mehrab is more deserving than Sakib. Compare their performace in big matches.

Miraz
July 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
sorry to confuse u. Actually I was refering Farhad Reza. On Sakib, I think Mehrab is more deserving than Sakib. Compare their performace in big matches.

Mehrab is more desrving in longer version and for the opening slot. Sakib better suits our ODI outfit and can bat at no. 5-6 and has got better strike rate compared to Mehrab.

HawkEye000
July 4, 2006, 11:33 AM

The only big matches they played were against Sri-A and Saqibul was way better than Mehrab. Matches against the U-19 teams and Zim-A are not big matches.

HawkEye000
July 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
Unfortunate to see Tushar Imran is dropped. He should have given more time in my perspective.

Since he made his comeback to ODI cricket in the natwest series he had played 11 matches (9 of them on the trot) and scored 142 runs at an average of just 12.9.

His overall record isn't impressive either. He played 35 ODIs (that's a lot of matches and so he got enough chances) and averages just 16 runs. That’s really poor even by Bangladesh standards.

He even doesn't have that good a technique so the chances of him succeeding in international cricket are pretty grim. I don't know why the selectors keep selecting him for the A team. The A team matches are more for grooming promising players then just winning by playing some proven failure.

SMHasan
July 4, 2006, 08:02 PM
Since he made his comeback to ODI cricket in the natwest series he had played 10 matches (8 of them on the trot) and scored 140 runs at an average of just 12.7.

His overall record isn't impressive either. He played 35 ODIs (that's a lot of matches and so he got enough chances) and averages just 16 runs. That’s really poor even by Bangladesh standards.

He even doesn't have that good a technique so the chances of him succeeding in international cricket are pretty grim. I don't know why the selectors keep selecting him for the A team. The A team matches are more for grooming promising players then just winning by playing some proven failure.

We need to give our players good amount of matches to perform well. For example if we give a player a total series consisting of 5 odi's then we might see what they are capable of. We shouldn't drop them by just giving two odi's. We don't give these kind of chances to our players, the main reason might be- we(the team and the selection committee) are not stable enough to make a strong decision.

According to the selection committee if any player fails to perform then its a total wate.Sadly we are not able to waste the odi's. I think it is a huge fear that plays in the managements mind.

fuzzy
July 4, 2006, 11:03 PM
firt of all kenya is a good, a team every1(around da world) think competes vs bd.
so can't be taken lightly.
if think about our current team performace against da best in the world, we never do 2 bad infact we put a great fight but as u no some1 in puts us down. for example first ODI vs sri in last series we lost by 5 wickets wat happend the batting was bad same with da 1st ODI vs aus our bating. on these days ash, shariar N and aftab didn't play well and every1 ealse did their usual job, u no getting settle for few runs than goin back. in those games if some1 took da resposibility 2 guide bd 2 reanable score just over 200 u no playin full 50 ove mark bd could hav won those games.
my whole point is 2 get players at least a little bit like collingwood(End), a symonds(aus),hussey(aus),Kaif(ind),kumar(sri),maha roof(sri),flintof(end),instead of tushar imran, manjurul who would cum out of this crease when bd r 6/135 at 35th over still 90 ball 2 go or alok kapili in da last game vs aus this player r very suitable for these position. they putting good all rouders like rafique and mushrfe in whole presssure. this is in almost match for bd. its time try a stable and sensible players in that middle order not ash bcose he is a player like voghan(end), ponting(aus) and lara. he needs open and play 1st 15 overs and should make the best out it.may go all da way, he is a shot maker so is aftab, but sharier is a bit different, he is a bit of both sensible and shot maker.
i don't wanna say anything about bashar, his good for wat his does.

cricman
July 5, 2006, 12:12 AM
Where is Enamul Haque Jr! No need for Farhad Reza when you have 7 Batsmen and thats not counting Mashrafe and Rafique who love Kenyan and Zimbo bowling! Why is he in Africa now? To Save Tushar's bad captaincy?

Enam never gets a chance to play in ODI matches, Hopefully Mushfiq Rahim can get his first 50 or higher. HB should stop playing second fiddle and go get 100 for himself. I wanna to see a selfish Ashraful, I wanna see him play RD type innnings don't force anything because the runs will come.

LateCut
July 5, 2006, 12:55 PM
I am confused. Faruq Ahmed, the chief selector said: "They are very good cricketers in all departments of the game. We have high hopes from them and it's time for them to perform at the international level." Is that so! Why not let them or continue to let them play in A-level. The quickest and sure way to destroy young talents is to force them prematurely into pressure sutuations. Let them play at least a couple of years in junior level games and gain confidence.

mildwind
July 5, 2006, 05:17 PM
He even doesn't have that good a technique so the chances of him succeeding in international cricket are pretty grim.

I doubt....having a good technique is not the prime factor to be successful. Help yourself to get some instances.(Home work for u)

NO one can be sure whether or not Imran will succeed. But we should let him play several series in a row so that he can proof himself by then. If not, he has to face his fate.

Hatebreed
July 5, 2006, 05:39 PM
I don't understand, is Farhad Reza a pure batsman or an all-rounder?.. Why not play Tamim Iqbal? He has far better batting average and strike-rate.

al Furqaan
July 5, 2006, 06:08 PM
I am confused. Faruq Ahmed, the chief selector said: "They are very good cricketers in all departments of the game. We have high hopes from them and it's time for them to perform at the international level." Is that so! Why not let them or continue to let them play in A-level. The quickest and sure way to destroy young talents is to force them prematurely into pressure sutuations. Let them play at least a couple of years in junior level games and gain confidence.

i agree...and thats whay i think they have been selected for ken-zim tours. those are almost no pressure situations.

hi pressure situations will occur in champs trophy and WC 07...i highly
doubt you will see the newbs there.

cricketboy
July 5, 2006, 11:35 PM
Most unfortunate in Razzak considering Kenya's piches are slow and also Bulawayo is known to favor spin. Bangladesh's power is spin and we omit spinners. LOL. Tushar Imran is unlucky, he got selected against Australia and he failed. Selectors may have given him one more chance but the question is in place of whom? Golla always keeps scoring here and there so difficult to drop him Ashraful-"talented", future, heroic ton against Aus last summer. How can you drop the golden boy from the squad entirely. We all want him in the squad.

Ehsan
July 6, 2006, 11:23 AM
Okey, I think I am not upto date. What has Saqibul Hasan and Forhad Reza done (including the ongoing Zim A series)? I was actually liking Mehrab's and Nazmus Sadat's game.

HawkEye000
July 6, 2006, 08:34 PM
Okey, I think I am not upto date. What has Saqibul Hasan and Forhad Reza done (including the ongoing Zim A series)? I was actually liking Mehrab's and Nazmus Sadat's game.

Saqibul did better than Mehrab and Nazmus Sadat against the Sri-A team in the four day matches (averaged 53.33 whereas Mehrab and Nazmus averaged 22.25 and 21.75 respectively) and also performed better for the U-19 team. He is a better bowler than Mehrab and has the potential to become Bangladesh's first genuine all-rounder if everything remains okay with his bowling action. Considering his high standards he did have a bad series against Zim-A, but still averaged 30 with the bat and took 7 wickets. But overall I thought he deserved a place more than the other two though they would also get into the national team pretty soon. As for Farhad, I guess the selsctors are just looking for Khaled Mahmud's successor.

But with strike rate in the 50s Javed and Rajin should have no place in our ODI team. I wish Mehrab and Nazmus had their places.

HawkEye000
July 6, 2006, 09:12 PM
I doubt....having a good technique is not the prime factor to be successful. Help yourself to get some instances.(Home work for u)

NO one can be sure whether or not Imran will succeed. But we should let him play several series in a row so that he can proof himself by then. If not, he has to face his fate.

As I told you he played 9 matches on the trot in 2005 (equivalent to 3 series) and performed miserably. And he even didn't do anything in the past (35 ODIs and 4 test with averages 16.02 and 6.87 respectively) that showed he has the potential to do well at the top level.

Technique is one of the important factors along with temperament and other things. Till now he didn't show any of these in the international level.

If we let proven failures like him to continue playing for the national or even the A team then we are just wasting opportunities to groom young promising players. So to me there should be no places to these proven failures (tushar, rokon, moniruzaman, faisal, ehsanul) in the national or the second string team.

Sam
July 7, 2006, 01:35 AM
Few pics of BD Team by the courtesy of BangladesherKhela:

http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/picoftheday/1452/Rajin-&-Ashraful-05-07-06.jpg (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strAction=todaysgallery&thisEventID=&thisEventName=&strrefer=album&strview=full&pagenum=1) Rajin Saleh is welcoming Ash after returning to the training session from Liverpool.
http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/picoftheday/1452/Bangladesh-cricket-team-05-.jpg (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strAction=todaysgallery&thisEventID=&thisEventName=&strrefer=album&strview=full&pagenum=2) BD cricketers are busy in the Indoor facility of Mirpur Stadium

nannu
July 7, 2006, 06:55 AM
Few pics of BD Team by the courtesy of BangladesherKhela:

http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/picoftheday/1452/Rajin-&-Ashraful-05-07-06.jpg Rajin Saleh is welcoming Ash after returning to the training session from Liverpool.

it seems that ash gained some muscle he looks a bit matured too. hope the same happened mentally too.

nannu

TheWatcher
July 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
Both of the new boys sound very professional.

DS: Youngsters' delight (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/07/17/d60717040230.htm)