PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh to Host 2011WC Opening Ceremony

Banglatiger84
July 8, 2006, 04:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/5160396.stm

Kapil Dev
Indian fans will hope to see a repeat of their team's 1983 win
India will stage the Cricket World Cup final for the first time in 2011, the organisers have agreed.

They were confirmed as co-hosts of the event with Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at this week's International Cricket Council conference in London.

Pakistan hosted the final the last time the World Cup was played in Asia 10 years ago.

But Pakistan and Sri Lanka will stage semi-finals in 2011, with the opening ceremony taking place in Bangladesh.

"It has been decided that all four should evenly play a part in hosting the major events of the tournament," said Pakistan Cricket Board director Abbas Zaidi.

The Asian bid was preferred to a joint application from Australia and New Zealand for the 2011 showpiece.

And officials have already expressed their determination to make it the best World Cup in the tournament's history.

"Traffic will come to a stop in the four countries in 2011. There will be more than a billion (TV) viewers in the sub-continent, and another billion in the rest of the world," India's Inderjit Singh Bindra has said.

India will stage 22 matches, Pakistan 16, Sri Lanka nine and Bangladesh six.

Among the potential venues for the final would be Eden Gardens in Calcutta, which has a capacity of 90,000, the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai (Bombay), the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore, or the Feroz Shaha Kotla in Delhi.

Sovik
July 8, 2006, 04:22 AM
good news, lets hope we make a good opening ceremony

HawkEye000
July 8, 2006, 05:51 AM
and it's great that we are getting the opening match too (with Bangladesh playing in it) and I hope Bnagladesh beats whoever they will be playing then...

sunny747
July 8, 2006, 05:59 AM
big honor for us..........damn it...need to wait another 5 years.....

abdulw11
July 8, 2006, 06:08 AM
Thats great! Hope they make it a good show.

oracle
July 8, 2006, 07:03 AM
wow!!-opening ceremony. I guess the U-19 championship made a lasting impression on the diciosion makers. Credit must go to the organizers for this. Wonder where this is going to take place?

thebest
July 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
Oh yea; Opening ceremony. We have too much money to spend on trivial issues.

SMHasan
July 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
Great great news for us! Wonderful!Its a great honour for us and believe that the world will be looking at us on that day.

SMHasan
July 8, 2006, 10:52 AM

Never mind thebest, ICC will be providing a portion of the expense for the opening ceremony. And we are not going to develope the country by overnight if we dont invest some money for this event, are we? We have already lost millions of taka for corruptions, so what is wrong organizing this event? I will say it is an investment rather than an expense.

If you look at todays newspapers then you will see Biman officials are spending huge amount of money for their foreign tour for no reason. Should I say anything? Shame.

layperson
July 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
Great news !!! Holding the ceremony successfully will lift our image and hosting the world cup would mean a boost to our economy albeit a small one due to the number of matches.

Shafi
July 8, 2006, 12:19 PM
It's very prestigeous to get this oppurtunity to host the world cup. Not only it'll brighten our image, it'll also give us some cultural boost in world culture.

Frost
July 8, 2006, 01:01 PM
Simply great news! I'm confident that Bangladesh will come with an excellent openning ceremony. I hope by then we'll becoming an excellent cricket team as well.

akabir77
July 8, 2006, 03:09 PM
oh no again shubro devs cricket cricket song....

israr
July 8, 2006, 03:22 PM
will it be in the 60000 capacity of Mirpur stadium

6alltheway
July 8, 2006, 05:39 PM
nice, lets see what BD can pull off.

Hasib
July 8, 2006, 10:43 PM
Great! It will be interesting what our team wold be like in 2011... Also by hosting the opening ceremony its a great opportunity to showcase our country...hopefuly it will be a good tourism boost too.

shaoun
July 9, 2006, 12:19 AM
very happy to hear that we are hosting the opening ceremony and the first match. i hoped we would get to host the final but i guess thats too far out of reach for us. specially when india and pakistan are also co-hosting the world cup with us. now i just hope that we can be a contender to win the world cup by 2011. i think its very possible to take our team to that level in next 5 years. but we are still far away from reaching that level.

fuzzy
July 9, 2006, 06:47 AM
its a dream came true for us guys. i still can't believe every1in the world will watch ban on TV.
we gonna shows how beautiful our motherland is.
i hope james sings his " amar sonar bangla " not da national anthem.
guys y don't we contribute 2 this such a big event.
lets write a song for our cricket team. song that u like hear on da the day.
song that tells about our team, write in english or bangla or a mix. make it da best song ever.

thanks guys

Sam
July 9, 2006, 07:05 AM
It's really a great news, but it was expected. The opening ceremony should be in BNS, of course.
First: it's a prestigious event, which will take place in the bigger stadium and at the centrer of the city.
Second: the pitches of Mirpur Stadium should not be damaged by the performers before the important WC matches.
Third: We want the BNS back for Cricket, and let it be step no.1, if not more.
Fourth: This will make the event for everyone, irrespective of forms of sports and will be looked as a matter of pride for the whole nation.

Rabz
July 9, 2006, 08:46 AM
oh no again shubro devs cricket cricket song....

i second that..
pls not shuvro dab dab again...

but on the thread subject note.. yes..its a great honour for our country to host the opening ceremony of the World Cup..

looks like the think tanks of our cricket world has finally managed to do something good.. so congrats to them as well...

hopefully it should be a ceremony to remember by..

Cant wait for WC'11

too bad i'll turn 30 by then...

Hatebreed
July 9, 2006, 11:36 AM
This is great news for BD, I just hope BCB will do a good job at planning and executing this event. Also good to know BD will be playing in the first match, let's hope our team will improve by then and win.

Bancan
July 9, 2006, 11:41 AM
im excited but not so sure abt this. all of u guys saw those programs in BNS for independence day or victory day. they are not that good. i know its bigger but, bd people dont think outside the box, especially those people in the office. So i have doubts in my mind how well they can pull it off!

Shakalaka
July 9, 2006, 05:08 PM
Well, little less money will go to politician's pocket atleast. Then again, khaleda-hasina will make sure they can rip off the ICC fund also. that is for sure.

sonarbangla
July 9, 2006, 06:05 PM
hahahaha.. they are giving Bangladesh a chance to hosting the most expensive portion of the entire tournament eh? whats so nice about it?!if they really wanna give us something , let us hold the final match in our country... let India take the opening ceremony part.

israr
July 10, 2006, 11:34 AM
where will the opening ceremony take place. BNS is out of the question.
please answer

sadi
July 10, 2006, 12:24 PM
mirpur stadium

Tigers_eye
July 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
Why it has to be in a stadium?
Shogshod bhoboner shamney. Great place! Millions can attend. Easily access can be controlled. Rab can keep a monitor. parking wouldn't be an issue. Dignitaries can witness from a safe distance. The sattelite top view would be marvelous.

After the ceremony the disbursement of the crowd would be easy too.

Bancan
July 10, 2006, 01:13 PM
Why it has to be in a stadium?
Shogshod bhoboner shamney. Great place! Millions can attend. Easily access can be controlled. Rab can keep a monitor. parking wouldn't be an issue. Dignitaries can witness from a safe distance. The sattelite top view would be marvelous.

After the ceremony the disbursement of the crowd would be easy too.

millions?:eek: shongshod bhoboner shamney. dunno exactly but is it the bijoy shroni road? or the other side.

AsifTheManRahman
July 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
nice...finally a chance to put our culture on display for the entire world! should be a big, big event; the biggest by far in the nation's history!hope i can make it in 2011! :)

Daddy_Mac
July 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
nice...finally a chance to put our culture on display for the entire world! should be a big, big event; the biggest by far in the nation's history!hope i can make it in 2011! :)

I know...but ui hizra gu-lare jodi opening ceremony -te ane ta hoila it will be hard to watch..(pola ar miaa robindro songite nache je..yak!)....

reza_15
July 10, 2006, 11:53 PM
obviously it's a great honor for us to be responsible for the opening ceremony. i hope we do a great job. i'm pretty sure that Bangladesh will improve a lot by 2011 world cup. if everything goes right ( concerned about political situation in Bangladesh ), hopefully we will be able to get us in the ranking range of 1-5 by the time of 2011.

bdchamp20
February 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=26&id=76634&hb=2
Dhaka, Feb 17 (bdnews24.com) - Dhaka will host the inaugural match and the opening ceremony of the 2011 ICC World Cup on Feb. 19, said a BCB official on Tuesday.

Bangladesh Cricket Board media committee chairman Jalal Younus told bdnews24.com the ICC meeting on Tuesday decided to stage both the inaugural match and opening ceremony on Feb 19, 2011.

It had earlier decided that Bangladesh would organise the opening ceremony of the cricket extravaganza and the co-hosts are now set to stage the inaugural match as well.

Younus said that the opening ceremony would be a one-and-half hour programme and then the inaugural match would take place.

The BCB spokesman informed that BCB senior vice-president Mahbubul Anam and director Shafiqur Rahman Munna attended the ICC meeting in New Delhi.

Representatives of the ICC, including chief executive Haroon Lorgat, also attended the meeting to discuss ongoing plans for the ICC World Cup 2011, which will take place in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in two years' time.

"Among other things, it was decided that subject to final ICC Board approval, the opening ceremony for the event would take place in Bangladesh on 19 February 2011 and the tournament would be shorter than the one that took place in the West Indies in 2007," said ICC press release available here.

The statement also said that the meeting also discussed the issue of safety and security.
Good news! But it would be bizarre anyway to have an opening ceremony in one country and the first match in another country.

Nadim
February 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
inshallah i will be there for opening match and opening ceremony

Rabz
February 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hosting the opening ceremony was old news but good to see we'd be hosting the opening match too.

The stadiums need major overhaul and i'm yet to see any plans or the method of implementation by the Board as yet. We surely dont shame us in front of the whole world by hosting such events in an under par stadium.

I suspect if the ongoing problem between india-pak is not resolved soon, india might edge out pakistan from co-hosting the tournament and we might end up getting more games.

Tigers_eye
February 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
I had been raising the issue that we could host Pakistan's home games since last two years (Now Dubai gets to host and share of the pie - TV revenue). Which meant BCB had to fix up Chittagong, Khulna, Bogura stadium (pitches) and incorporate Sylhet, Rajshahi and Barisal stadiums as intl stadiums. Now ICC is looking for an alternative plan "B" and we can't put our hands up. India will get all the Pakistan games if ICC even choses to go that route. Sorry state of affairs for our BCB. What long term plan do they have? Nothing, I know. The board members are there to make money not for BD cricket advancement. Where is the decentralization of power and money?

ialbd
February 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
lets get the big lcd screen from beijing olympic.....:)

lets see how it rolls, plenty of time to plan......

desirocker
February 17, 2009, 01:35 PM
Joi Bangla, Joi Bongo Bondhu, Joi bangla Cricket. Bangladesh Dirghojibi hok

Farhad
February 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
Great news about the inaugural match. I'm optimistic that they can pull it off. The Under 19 World Cup that we hosted didnt seem to have any major hiccups. Of course, this will be a hundred times more important...

Purbasha T
February 17, 2009, 04:09 PM
inshallah i will be there for opening match and opening ceremony

Oooh yes! Me too inshallah bro, watch it! :flag:

Ajfar
February 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
i can see it already....starring momtaz..o khairun looo

Zeeshan
February 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
i can see it already....starring momtaz..o khairun looo

yup, den momtaz goes on to pwn guinezz book of world recz.

Antora
February 18, 2009, 01:04 AM
Why does it have to be in Feb? Why why why? I have GOD dam yr 12 exams in 2011!!! why couldn't they wait till.....DEC when they'll be over? If I fail my exams... I'm blaming ICC for aranging the matches in Feb :P

CholCholBD
February 18, 2009, 01:05 AM
Im guessing host country plays the first game....but against WHO??!

rashed411
February 18, 2009, 01:36 AM
Why does it have to be in Feb? Why why why? I have GOD dam yr 12 exams in 2011!!! why couldn't they wait till.....DEC when they'll be over? If I fail my exams... I'm blaming ICC for aranging the matches in Feb :P
same here mate... im guessing you are in 10th grade? also judging by your choice of words you are UK?

bangla-red
February 18, 2009, 02:37 AM
Im guessing host country plays the first game....but against WHO??!

good logic. It'll be Australia.

Rifat
February 18, 2009, 02:56 AM
Taking it easy all the time, but hell no it never gets eased!

if you are talking about Bangladesh Cricket Team, then no, i strongly disagree, in fact Alhamdulillah, many times we won matches because it was indeed made a lot easier for us. study our past "famous" victories and you will notice this factor, couple "famous" victories where things wern't made easy for us which i can remember is T20 WC west Indies(yes, people, Ashraful+Aftab combo is that good, but for character/scenario/miscellaneous reasons, they just can't be consistent!) and beating South Africa in Guyana(it is not that easy to slay South Africa below 251 at that time believe me, so quite an achievement for Bangladesh! Alhamdulillahi Rabbil A'lamin!)

but if you are talking about something else, i can't comment :-p

Rifat
February 18, 2009, 03:08 AM
on topic,

hopefully i will make it to stadium that day to witness this memorable event if i am alive, because that's the year, i graduate! (Inshallah :D) and get a job.

great opportunity for Bangladesh to redecorate/prepare the Dhaka Stadium and like many others above me said, why not the regional stadiums?

BANFAN
February 18, 2009, 05:20 AM
.................................. Where is the decentralization of power and money?

I think the money has been decentralized, Peons, Groundsmen etc people also get to manage some bribe I guess. :)

Purbasha T
February 18, 2009, 05:59 AM
if you are talking about Bangladesh Cricket Team, then no, i strongly disagree, in fact Alhamdulillah, many times we won matches because it was indeed made a lot easier for us. study our past "famous" victories and you will notice this factor, couple "famous" victories where things wern't made easy for us which i can remember is T20 WC west Indies(yes, people, Ashraful+Aftab combo is that good, but for character/scenario/miscellaneous reasons, they just can't be consistent!) and beating South Africa in Guyana(it is not that easy to slay South Africa below 251 at that time believe me, so quite an achievement for Bangladesh! Alhamdulillahi Rabbil A'lamin!)

but if you are talking about something else, i can't comment :-p

Lol, bro easy easy; it is about something else :-D