PDA

View Full Version : What did Materazzi say to Zidane?

abdulw11
July 10, 2006, 04:03 PM
You all saw Zidane headbutting Materazzi. What do you think he said?

chinaman
July 10, 2006, 04:51 PM
Terrorist.

Miraz
July 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
He said some real bad words mentioning his Mother who was sick and was admitted to hospital on the same day, he also said him 'Dirty Terrorist'

Source : ITV and BBC analysis (today)

akabir77
July 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
he said i will eat the jack fruit breaking on your head...
or My mom can head batter than you
or hey zidane how come all french people surrenders after the first shot
and so on

On a serious note
The defender denied saying dirty terrorist Source:sky sports

akabir77
July 10, 2006, 06:34 PM
double post

Bancan
July 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
watever he said , god that must hav hurt. minutes before that, u saw how well zidane can head. ouch

akabir77
July 10, 2006, 09:56 PM
guys check this video out its on materazzii's previous fouls..... he is a brutal player....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5142970568688502787

Daddy_Mac
July 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
I am a French fan...but the referee spoled the occation....first o one Saw what Zidan did...but the Fourth refree took advantage of T.V. reply and gave the virdict to main referees....And secondly first goal for France wasn't a panelty..!! But there were one really good shout for panalty when Malouda was brought down and a goal kick or sth was give.....
I want to Say..."WC final is too good an occation to be spoiled by poor refereeing...."

Rabz
July 11, 2006, 12:41 AM
Materazzi could hv said the worst thing possible, but for someone of highest profile like Zidane, should hv known better to keep his head cool.

After all, that was his last game in professional career in a world cup final.
things just dont get any bigger than that..

he should hv bn able to rise beyond his personal feelings and think of million of his countrymen in France and around the world.

But if Materazzi has said something relating his sick mother or sister or involving family member, that is also very very low and absolutely shameful. hopefully his mother gets sick one day and someone will tell him the same thing back.

Its called Karma. What goes around, comes around.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 01:54 AM
[/URL] Daily Mail reports:

Marco Matterazzi called the French star the Italian equivalent of 'n*****', and then insulted both his mother and his Muslim background by saying he is the 'son of a terrorist wh***.
If this is indeed the case (which probably is - it's got to be something seriously offensive to agitate a player of Zidane's calibre and stature to react this way), it's extremely sad. Although it doesn't justify Zidane's actions, I can at least understand how infuriated he was.

Link: [url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=395046&in_page_id=1770 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=395046&in_page_id=1770)

Orpheus
July 11, 2006, 02:57 AM
Zidane is not 5 year old that somebody cursed his mom and he start hitting out. It's the Final of the WORLD CUP. Damn silly boys...

Also shada shob jaate kharap... khelte paare na ektuo.. mukh diya kotha koi barota....

That final was one of the worse game of the tournament. 3rd match of germany against Portugal was much much more enjoyable I thought!

It should have been Germany vs Argentina/Brazil to the final. I would have actually preferred Brazil after the German argentine match.

Ejaj
July 11, 2006, 03:45 AM
What ever the reason, Zidane's headbutt can not be justified at all. U simply can not attack someone like that. It was realyl great that Refree made a good decision to use TV replay and give a red one. Zidane is my fav player, but, still, I can not accept what he did and I have no regrets of his dismissal.
However, the FIFA should really make an official investigation about what Matrezzi said. He must have said serious stuff and it should be subjected to criminal interogation. This is similar to any criminal offence. Zidane was provoked to act like that. If Zidane rightfully deserved the red card, so do Materezzi. He deserved to have an investigation about his atttitude. He should be punishd severly if found guilty, like, banned from playing any sort of professional footabll for next 5 years. Only then, proper justice can be done.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 05:06 AM
Ermm.. Ejaj, this is not like Cricket where you are allowed to confer technological gadgets. This is actually something the ESPN commentators were harshly criticizing. The 4th and 5th referees saw the replay on the big screen and informed the referee about it. Neither the referee nor the linesmen knew about it. This is outside interference and not allowed. According to the laws of football, the ground referee can consult the linesmen (and reserve referees), but it has to be based on what they saw first hand and realtime. Replays or hearsays are NOT legal influences.

Look, I am not an apologist for Zidane. I agree that in a way justice has been done. Zizou's action deserved a red card. But this doesn't take away the fact that football is still scarred by racial abuses, incompetent officiating, and unsportsmanlike conducts (in this case the good ole' dirty Italian antics). It's kind of ironic considering FIFA's slogan for this event was to eliminate racism from the sport. Who remembers the Spanish coach caught on tape saying they must stop that black bastard Henry? Racism is very much prevalent in this sport, much worse than Cricket or other brands of North American fan favourites. It is a bitter shame that Zidane had to leave this way. But he will have many fans' empathy specially considering that his mother has been ill for quite a long time and was hospitalized in the very morning of WC final. Once again, I don't approve of what Zizou did. It's not like he is alien to trash talks or banters on the field. But he is a human after all and this was all a touchy subject for him.

reverse_swing
July 11, 2006, 06:19 AM
This is for Cats_eye bhai:)

http://www.yonkis.com/imagenes01/zidane_venganza.gif http://www.yonkis.com/imagenes01/zizou_power.gif

Ejaj
July 11, 2006, 06:40 AM
Ermm.. Ejaj, this is not like Cricket where you are allowed to confer technological gadgets. This is actually something the ESPN commentators were harshly criticizing. The 4th and 5th referees saw the replay on the big screen and informed the referee about it. Neither the referee nor the linesmen knew about it. This is outside interference and not allowed. According to the laws of football, the ground referee can consult the linesmen (and reserve referees), but it has to be based on what they saw first hand and realtime. Replays or hearsays are NOT legal influences.

Look, I am not an apologist for Zidane. I agree that in a way justice has been done. Zizou's action deserved a red card. But this doesn't take away the fact that football is still scarred by racial abuses, incompetent officiating, and unsportsmanlike conducts (in this case the good ole' dirty Italian antics). It's kind of ironic considering FIFA's slogan for this event was to eliminate racism from the sport. Who remembers the Spanish coach caught on tape saying they must stop that black bastard Henry? Racism is very much prevalent in this sport, much worse than Cricket or other brands of North American fan favourites. It is a bitter shame that Zidane had to leave this way. But he will have many fans' empathy specially considering that his mother has been ill for quite a long time and was hospitalized in the very morning of WC final. Once again, I don't approve of what Zizou did. It's not like he is alien to trash talks or banters on the field. But he is a human after all and this was all a touchy subject for him.

How do u know that Matz used racial abuse or calling Zidane's mother?.. Nobody yet knows about this for sure and u are already making sweeping statement. U might wait few more weeks before concluding ur statement on racial abuse. Yes, i agree that there had been some racial abuse going on in eurpean football.. but, the incident that happend, hadnt been proved at all for such case. Even Zidane's isnt telling anyting to anyone about it. It could be someting very silly and he just probably over reacted. That could be the reason why Zizu is silent about it yet.

Well, i think its good for football that Ref did indeed consult 4th or 10th official. whoever, to find out what realyl happend. Zidane did commit crime and he shouldnt get away with that. Thats as simple as bright sunlight. If u r cricizing Ref for doing sometingh right, then, I dont have anyting else to tell u. And, regarding ref authority, u might look into Fifa site to know a bit details about it. This is the reason that All the ref's were given wireless communication device so that they can consult to officials, if they have missed someting . This was definteily a good decision and things like this should happen more often. It will decrese many crimes that happen on the field.

Btw, I do understand the difference between football and cricket...:)

abdulw11
July 11, 2006, 07:04 AM
I know that whatever Materazzi said, it hurt Zidane a lot because he still hasn't talked about it to anyone, not even his agent. Also, when players head-butt or elbow players, they try to hide it from the ref and act like it was an accident, but you could tell that Zidane couldn't care less if he got sent off, thats how much the insults hurt.

There has been claims that Materazzi said something about his mother, and this would have hurt Zidane because his mother is really sick at the moment.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
R_S, sorry i can't view it from the office PC. will see the pics from home.

Orphous,
Zidane holo kochi khoka, jar nak tipley ekhono dudh ber hoi.

Rest of all,
from your views, I am not sure who is the victim here. Why are you guys sympathetic to the criminal? What happened in the field should remain in the field. If FIFA wants to investigate what was said then the muddy waters will get muddier. Zidane has history of snapping. he got back to back red cards in the italian league for hot tempered actions. He got 5 match ban playing for Juventus for head butting. He is the highest carded player in the history of the World Cup. 4 yellow cards and 2 red cards in two world cups. Don't you guys remember what he did to the saudi player? How he kicked a man when he was down? I am sure the guy down (a muslim brother) didn't call him a terrorist or something and the funny thing is France was leading 2-0 then. You guys would still side with Zizu's action? Grow up people, smell the roses. Materazzi is the victim here.

I hope if FIFA takes any action against Materazzi then Materazzi needs to sue for assult, battery, aggrevated assult. Italians should instigate a criminal lawsuit against ZIDANE.

Replace the name Italy with Bangladesh, replace the name Materazzi with Kaiser Hamid. You will see through clear water then.

Rabz
July 11, 2006, 08:58 AM
Now i guess its upto FIFA to investigate into the matter..
After all, they have been trying to ( or acting) taking a hard stand against racism in football world, or especially, in the european football.

If Materazzi has said anything like that, he should be banned for atleast 5-10 games in international or club stages. FIFA should not allow itself on a double standard role and needs to act quickly.

Italian football is going thru a rough patch, or rather i should say, a reflection of thier true colours..??

and if they fail to act on it, my asssumptions would be that all these acts of FIFA is nothing but phony and cover up.

Hope Zidane open his mouth sooner than later and tell the whole world what exactly happened that night.

I am no Zidane supporter neither im a French Fan, infact i was really happy to see France loosing that night. I also dont approve of Zidane's action either.
But saying so, if the allegations against Materazzi is true, i want some drastic action against him. or else its FIFA who's gonna look like a real idiot.

and its gonna give Football a bad name.

Miraz
July 11, 2006, 09:04 AM
Cats_eye, chill down mate!!

I AM SO SURPRISED TO SEE UR HATRED TO ZIDNAE!! really quite atypical of your character.

Replace the name Italy with Bangladesh, replace the name Materazzi with Kaiser Hamid. You will see through clear water then.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Replace the name France with Bangladesh, replace the name Zidane with Salahuddin. You will see through clear water then.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Racism should not be supported by any means, whether it is done by my brother or my enemy, its always a crime against humanity.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 09:12 AM
I am not supporting the racism. The action what Zidane did can not be justified even if you replace the name with Salahuddin. Sorry, using force just crosses the line. In any sports that should be dealth more severely, than "he called my mother so and so."

And this is not Zizu's 1st time. A repeated offense, he has a history of doing things like that. So I suggest you can chill bro. I am fine.

Miraz
July 11, 2006, 09:17 AM
I am not supporting the racism.

Grow up people, smell the roses. Materazzi is the victim here.

I hope if FIFA takes any action against Materazzi then Materazzi needs to sue for assult, battery, aggrevated assult. Italians should instigate a criminal lawsuit against ZIDANE.

And you are supporting Materazzi for what he did (racist comment) and as a well wisher of Materazzi suggesting his line of action http://www.aussiecricket.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:emoticon(':roll:'))

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
Miraz bhai,
Who got headbutted? who is the victim here? Please don't say ZIzu.

And there is a big "IF" infront of your second quote.

Hatebreed
July 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
This is very sad, if I admired anyone in the French team it's Zidane but nothing can justify his action at this level of professional football, especially in the WC final.. not to mention his very last game! Had Zidane kept his cool and won the match for France it would be a better answer to whatever Materazzi said, but he took it personally and did that terrible thing. :(

Miraz
July 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
Miraz bhai,
Who got headbutted? who is the victim here? Please don't say ZIzu.

In my opinion the real victim is Zizu, he lost many things which Materazzi gained. It was a shameful exit for any player (I am not mentioning great as you will disagree). Materazzi provoked him and Zidane was caught in the trap. That's a stupid act by Zidane, no doubt. But again, such strong provocation with unacceptable wordings (racist) should be punished. Zidane got his punishment in the worst possible manner. Now its time to punish Materazzi. You cannot brand him as 'Victim' or innocent.

Rabz
July 11, 2006, 09:31 AM
I am not sure who is the victim here. Why are you guys sympathetic to the criminal? What happened in the field should remain in the field. If FIFA wants to investigate what was said then the muddy waters will get muddier.
Materazzi is the victim here.

sorry if im not following u properly, how come Materazzi be a victim here ??
u also telling me that in fear of gettin the truth out, u should keep it all quite ??
racism is all right as long as they r done on the field ??
its all right to slur about ur ill mother who is in a hospital ??

and sorry if i cant agree with yr bro. when an incident of that magnitude happens in a world cup final involving Zidane or any player of his profile, i guess not only the French but the whole world has right to know what exactly happened.

Ejaj
July 11, 2006, 09:42 AM
This is quite rediculous have arguments on the basis of someting which hadnt been proved yet. Racisim or calling his mother......... are all pure guesses.. None has been proved yet.. Zidane didnt disclose anyting, Matrz didnt say aynting either.. why are u guys fightingh over who is the victim?. Its better not to make any sweepign statement.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
1. Materazzi is a victim because he was in the receiving end of an assult. Had it been on the street with witness around Zidane would be in custody or having to bail himself out.

2. There are 100s of games each year that have players using unwanted choice of words. So FIFA is going to investigate one match and not the others? That is double standard and in court that does not stand a ground. FIFA has to investigate all games that has "he said, she said" alligations.

3. Racism is never right, on the field, this has been going on for ages, in every league. Until FIFA takes necessary steps (inclusion of technology), this will continue. Nothing we can do about it until that happens.

4. In sports we all know verbal battle is a test of mental strength. Things are said which is not meant. If someone slurs about an ill mother who is in hospital then he/she need to take appropriate action. Not take up law into his/her own hand. Even in real life we should not lose our cool. If you do that you can not be a plaintiff, you will become a defendant. The consequence of being defendant is not good.

That should answer all your questions.

Rabz
July 11, 2006, 09:51 AM
im starting to believe that Zidane's action was deliberate and not a result of moment of madness..
after all, why would a highly professional player of his calibe would act such a way and go out of the game disgracefully.

Here is my theory:

After receiving racial slur and being abused based on his religion and background for years and years over his career, he thought its time to act on it and send the whole world a message to think over before he leaves.

He knew exactly what is going to happen if he head-butts Materazzi on such a crucial moment of the game.He will get a redcard and that would create a huge uproar on the world media. There will be countless discussion and relentless media analysis behind such an action.As already, some British newspaper has already hired lip readers and revealed to us that it was a racial slur and something about his ill mother.

Now, FIFA has been crying foul over this race issue for few years now and is putting up big shows like speeches by the captains in wc games to clear up their name and showing the whole world that they care. But do they ?

Now, Zidane was playing his last professional match. He could not give a rat's back if he is being send away. He have already won the world cup once and irrespective of the outcome of that match, he would still be a hero to the French.

If he really wanted to injure Materazzi, he could hv just banged him on his nose, leave him a bleading face. No he didnt do that. He just butt-headed on his chest.

Still shamefull, still disgraced. But i belive he could not care bout his own personal glory anymore but take on a bigger issue corrupting the game itself, racism. I am no Zidane supporter, but i dont think u become such a great player being a stupid.

Hope FIFA is being dragged to investigate into the matter by some huge media and public pressure and the real issue would be addressed and looked after (ie racism).

IF it is so, that was not a moment of madness, but an act of genius.
IF that is the case, HAIL to Zidane.

Otherwise, i cant possible figure out why would Zidane do such a thing...

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 09:52 AM
First off, nobody is going to be criminally prosecuted for this. Things like this happen in sports.

Cats_Eye, nobody is condoning Zidane's actions. Pretty much everyone agrees that he deserved the red card. However, it's the route that is controversial. Your point about Zidane not being a saint is also valid. But neither is Materazzi.

Only a fool will believe that Zidane's headbutt was unprovoked. So far all the sources and reports suggest that a disgusting racially abusive slur caused this event. If these insults really did happen (which, btw, is highly likely), that would make Materazzi more of a villan and Zidane will deservedly gain more sympathy. Granted that Zidane's got a hot temper, but then the Italians also have a reputation of playing dirty. Like Miraz said, Zidane is no sage here, but neither is Matterazzi. He is far from innocent. Since you brought up the issue of track record, let me show you a video that will educate you a little more about the mighty Matterazzi.

<object height="350" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7HblsV-urHg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425">

ps: Cats_Eye, I don't think our difference of opinion warrants a need for either of us to "grow up". Everyone here is discussing this with admirable civility.
</object>

Thirdman
July 11, 2006, 09:59 AM
Just read through all the postings. Interesting, how no one is saying how it al started. Yes, in the end it was the headbutt, after Materazzi said something (probably bery bad). But if you see the video and go back a few seconds, it was Zidane who was saying something to him. And, why is no one asking what Zidane said that provoked Materazzi to say those "unspeakables"?

In many professional football game, they deliberately use verbal abuse to distract players (football's version of "sledging" by the Aussies). I do not support that, but it happens. And Zidane is a 35 year old, who has definitely experienced it, and used it himself before. After that, if he cannot keep his cool in his career's final match - it is sheer idiotic behavior.

I regard Zidane as a great player. But he is never admired for his people skills. Whatever Materazzi said to him, and whatever he said to Materazzi to provoke him to say those things - he, being Zidane, being the next Nepoleon of France, should have kept his cool. The red card was rightly served.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
C_B,
Could you please point out a single time that called him close to a saint.

Provoking Zidane could be Italian strategy who knows. They were team mates at Juventus for crying out loud. They know each other very well. Zidane should be use to slurs of this sort by now. I don't need any video to know who is saint or not. I saw the replays of what happened in the field. My views are centered on the incident.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
Sure. Centering the views on the incident would be ideal. I merely attempted to level the playing fields seeing you felt the need to bring up Zidane's past record. A taste of own medicine hurts, I see.

I am not on a mission to prove Zidane innocent, nor am I an apologist on his behalf. I, along with millions of football fans, am simply appalled by what triggered this fiasco - something you are willfully being oblivious to. Getting on his nerves to unsettle him is an acceptable ploy. A little sledging or pestering is fine. But racial abuse like that is simply unacceptable, especially at the sport's highest level. I won't be surprised if all these supposed rumours turn out to be true, especially after reading earlier today that the victorious Italian team was greeted home this week by a senator who was overjoyed at his team's triumph over a team that consisted of "blacks, muslims and communists".

Alright, point made.

Miraz
July 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
Just read through all the postings. Interesting, how no one is saying how it al started. Yes, in the end it was the headbutt, after Materazzi said something (probably bery bad). But if you see the video and go back a few seconds, it was Zidane who was saying something to him. And, why is no one asking what Zidane said that provoked Materazzi to say those "unspeakables"?

Materazzi was holding Zidane's shirt and Zidane said "If you want my shirt you can have it after the game". Source : BBC, Sky Sports, Daily Mail.

thebest
July 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
Cats eye bhai,
in your post there is answer. Zidane is serial offender. Italian are quite famous for dirty play or winning by hook or crook. Otherwise how could you explain two major match fixing scandal within 30 yrs. Even in this WC italian TV provided footage so that Fringe can not play againest Italy, while the victime was quite unaware of the attempted attack. May be even that one is also computer simulated.But back to the point, Italian tried to exploit the hot temparement of Zizu. May be they have tounted him for the 110 minutes before they get the result. So hail to them. I am willing to put a bet on England- Italy match that Roony would be send off.
I know you are quite angry with Zidane, since Zidane knock out Brazil not once but twice in WC. So chill down because your arguments is making no sense to me, quite unlike you.

Miraz
July 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
Materazzi is well known for his dirty acts and tricks,

In a single season with Everton Materazzi managed to clock up three red cards and 12 yellows. Materazzi was captured on camera viciously elbowing Juan Pablo Sorin of Villarreal in a Champions League clash last season.

From his interview with Italian newspaper,

"I held his shirt, for only a few seconds," said Materazzi, who had scored Italy's equaliser after Zidane put France ahead from the penalty spot.
"He turned towards me and scoffed at me, looking at me with super arrogance, up and down.
"He said 'if you really want my shirt, you can have it later.' "It's true, I shot back with an insult."

Now FIFA is investigating what really happened. I hope FIFA find out the truth. I agree with Keith Hackett, head of referees in England, who said that if it can be proved that Matterazzi racially abused Zidane, then Fifa should take retrospective action for "the good of the game".<!-- E BO -->

thebest
July 11, 2006, 10:26 AM
How do u know that Matz used racial abuse or calling Zidane's mother?.. Nobody yet knows about this for sure and u are already making sweeping statement. U might wait few more weeks before concluding ur statement on racial abuse. Yes, i agree that there had been some racial abuse going on in eurpean football.. but, the incident that happend, hadnt been proved at all for such case. Even Zidane's isnt telling anyting to anyone about it. It could be someting very silly and he just probably over reacted. That could be the reason why Zizu is silent about it yet.

Well, i think its good for football that Ref did indeed consult 4th or 10th official. whoever, to find out what realyl happend. Zidane did commit crime and he shouldnt get away with that. Thats as simple as bright sunlight. If u r cricizing Ref for doing sometingh right, then, I dont have anyting else to tell u. And, regarding ref authority, u might look into Fifa site to know a bit details about it. This is the reason that All the ref's were given wireless communication device so that they can consult to officials, if they have missed someting . This was definteily a good decision and things like this should happen more often. It will decrese many crimes that happen on the field.

Btw, I do understand the difference between football and cricket...:)

I know ref made the correct decision. But I wonder, why suddenly 4th/5th officials become active after silent for whole W/C. Accordingly Carte Blance he could not intervene. If rules are modified then I have question why they did not intervane

1) Argies goal againest Ivory Coast ( wrong one counted, right one discounted)
2) Swiss goal againest Korea
2) Argies goal againest Mexico in regulartime
3) Heinz foul againest Mexico
4) Italian dive againest Australia
5) One of the Brazil's goal againest Ghana
7) Numerous wrong call againest arg in Germany macth.

If 4th official did not intervane those, why he intervane this. This is simple double standard. By the way, I am not implying Zidane should be spared because of technicality; what I am implying is the rule should be applied to all. It seems that rules are now benefitting to the bigger team and european teams. Twice benefitted Italy who are quite famous for manipulating officials:confused:

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 10:40 AM
The more I read the more I get the feeling that people are sympathetic to Zidane, and he is a semi-saint even after the acts he performed. All along even before the tournament started I mentioned in other threads Zidane may be a great player but a dirty player. He had to prove me right.

I wanted to change the perception. I guess there are things I can't change. So I have relayed my message. It is up to you guys to see the facts.

C_B,
"Getting on his nerves to unsettle him is an acceptable ploy." That's in every sport don't you agree?

"But racial abuse like that is simply unacceptable, especially at the sport's highest level." But assults are acceptable? Which one worse? assult or racial comment?

Ah!! Italian senetors!! Should we dig into what french Priminister said and did for muslims brothers and sisters in France and boznia?

We can argue all day but I don't think we can convince one another.

AsifTheManRahman
July 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
eshob double standard/single standard kore kono labh nai. people here are arguing that the 4th referee might not have seen it live, and that in that case - going by the rule book - zidane cannot be penalized. arey bhai, matha diya guta maira shuway dise...er por abar rule book dekhay...he deserves to be punished.

similarly, one might argue that matterazi cannot be punished either since racial slurs are not uncommon on sports grounds, and that ebhabe dhorte gele prottek matchei ekta/duita re laal card dekhate hobe...but that again would be like saying zidane should be let free because the referee didn't see it. IF matterazi DID indeed say something racial, then he should be punished too. racism is a serious offense and although it is impossible to penalize each and every little incident, FIFA should do the best it can.

ek haate tali baje na - dosh 2 joneri ase. zidane deserves to be punished, and so does Matterazi, IF AND ONLY IF the rumours about a racist remark are true.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cats_Eye:
There is a difference between an unsportsmanlike conduct and an assault. What Todd Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore was an assault. He was kicked out, his salary was forfeited, and he faces lawsuits and damage charges. What Zidane did, was a shameful display of temper. It deserved a red card. He was handed so. He accept it without dissent and left. Justice served.

Or is it? That is just one half of the story. Zidane got what he deserved (despite the controversy surrounding the replays). But did Matterazzi get what he deserved? If the allegations are true, FIFA must take harsh and exemplary measures. We are talking of moral justice here, hopefully more. It beats me why you are being blind towards his provocation, which I'll admit requires confirmation. But common sense and dozens of media reports tell us that his provocation was in extremely poor taste and should not be tolerated at the sport. Comprende?

As for taunting, if Freddie calls Langer a wanker, it's no big deal. When Lehmann racially insults Ranatunga, it is NOT acceptable. In fact he was banned for 5 matches. I'm sure you are intelligent enough to decide on Zidane's case.

sadi
July 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
Zidane deserved his punishment. It was stupid from his part to react like that in his most important game of the career. Sledging happens all the time in sports. You gotta deal with it. Cricket e bat korte namle koto ma bap tule gali dey.

mhferdaus
July 11, 2006, 11:27 AM
eshob double standard/single standard kore kono labh nai. people here are arguing that the 4th referee might not have seen it live, and that in that case - going by the rule book - zidane cannot be penalized. arey bhai, matha diya guta maira shuway dise...er por abar rule book dekhay...he deserves to be punished.

similarly, one might argue that matterazi cannot be punished either since racial slurs are not uncommon on sports grounds, and that ebhabe dhorte gele prottek matchei ekta/duita re laal card dekhate hobe...but that again would be like saying zidane should be let free because the referee didn't see it. IF matterazi DID indeed say something racial, then he should be punished too. racism is a serious offense and although it is impossible to penalize each and every little incident, FIFA should do the best it can.

ek haate tali baje na - dosh 2 joneri ase. zidane deserves to be punished, and so does Matterazi, IF AND ONLY IF the rumours about a racist remark are true.

and if bbc is right about what matto said then it was not even one race he was attacking he was attacking all, as Muslims are there on every race, thus it is way more serious offense than racism.

Italy deserves better player than matto, if FIFA does nothing then Italy should ban him themselves, there are so much more players in Italy so it would not bother them.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 11:31 AM
The "Shameful display of temper" would book him if this was in the streets with witnesses around as an assault. Doesn't matter what provoked him. With the viciousness it could be aggrevated assault or even battery since bodily contact was made. Doesn't matter who you are. Zidane, Mike Tyson, state senator anyone.

If FIFA do the investigation properly and Materazzi (knowing the saint he is) lies ( I think he did slur racial comments), then it would be a "he said, she said" thing. That takes you no where. Muddy waters getting muddier.

Why I am blind to the provocation:
Cause I did the taunting and received the same in Basketball and Football which I took as a part of the game in States. After the game we did not carry over what was said in the field. If someone says something to you, you reply back you don't use force. As long as it doesn't say, "I will kill you or I will rape you." That is a clear threat and you can defend that in court.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
For the 12345932164932476023749236402653th time, Zidane was punished for it. He got the red card, and witnessed an end to his own career with a head hung in shame. A disgraceful end to an otherwise stellar career. What more could you ask for? Blood?

By your logic of criminalization, Materazzi would not be playing the world cup. He'd be busy serving sentences for his "assaults" in a Naples pentientiary. I wonder where that would send Rooney though. Perhaps Australia in harmony with the colonial past? By your logic, Ice Hockey would be defunct today.

It is almost as though you have something personal against him. Whatever it is, I think I will cease to counter your phantom point and let you have the last laugh (in true Italian style).

Let us just hope we get to know the truth once/when Zidane breaks his silence and justice is served allround. Such incidents are very undesirable and we'd rather be arguing over tactical matters than scandals.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
Great point C_B.
Why FIFA has not launched an investigation on Rooney's expulsion? He must have been provoked also. Noone kicks on the groin for no reason. There are hundreds of incident like that. One provoking other. May it be racial comment or comments on their mother-sister etc all are unexceptable in civilized world. Unless, FIFA is truely serious, and investigate all racial allegations they should leave this issue on the field. Not one game just because Zidane got the red card.

Bancan
July 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
zidane got puninshed for wat he did, now its matterazi's turn.
wat surprises me, is that CTV, CBC is givin so much attention to this. they hardly care abt soccer.

mod.content: That is uncalled for. We all have the right to disagree. Please be more appreciative and tolerant of opposing views. C.E. is an esteemed member of our forum and no matter how greatly you disagree with him, he has been presenting his points politely. Please respect that. - C.B.

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 12:40 PM
if he is blind let him be. ekta kotha ase naa, ...... [edited] u cant convince him. he obiously got something against zidane.
I would prefer you not say things like that. This is not how civilized people discuss. Have a nice day.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
Great point C_B.
Why FIFA has not launched an investigation on Rooney's expulsion? He must have been provoked also. Noone kicks on the groin for no reason. There are hundreds of incident like that. One provoking other. May it be racial comment or comments on their mother-sister etc all are unexceptable in civilized world. Unless, FIFA is truely serious, and investigate all racial allegations they should leave this issue on the field. Not one game just because Zidane got the red card.

We agree completely, my friend. Here's a toast of Rooh Afza :)

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2006, 12:43 PM
We agree completely, my friend. Here's a toast of Rooh Afza :)
Now I afraid to play 1 minute chess with you. how about a bridge game? you can be my partner.

Carte Blanche
July 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
Now I afraid to play 1 minute chess with you. how about a bridge game? you can be my partner.

As long as there's no money involved. Otherwise you'll be losing a fortune. Btw, I got some bridge tutorials the other day. So who knows, someday I will be pretty good at it.

oracle
July 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
If Materazzi did use a racial slur then FIFA will do something about it, in keeping with the theme of the Cup. I don't understand why Zidane kept quiet? Found him weird at times- certainly not in the mould of a Pele or Beckenbauer..

Bancan
July 11, 2006, 12:51 PM
I would prefer you not say things like that. This is not how civilized people discuss. Have a nice day.

ok sorry!very rude! i m very sorry. dont think i m being sarcastic. i m sorry.:)

israr
July 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
guys, first be guranteed 101% and then speak something against Materazzi or Zidane.

Orpheus
July 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
hey cats_eye, I will play chess with you... Let's go.. CB showed me some tricks... SACRIFICE YOUR QUEEN FIRST, tricking your opponent to think you suck :D

its' a shame that Zidane will be remember for the headbutt and not for his 98 and '06 heroism.

Fazal
July 11, 2006, 02:21 PM
The calim is: Not only Materazzi said something BAD to Zidane... but he also twisted Zidane's ni[][]le with his finger.... and thereby questioned Zidane's manhood... Materazzi is a bad boy.:lol:

AsifTheManRahman
July 11, 2006, 02:25 PM
haha...maybe he's like that guy who's also a girl on that dhadha thread...so he DID want his jersey off eh?

abdulw11
July 11, 2006, 03:26 PM
I just read somewhere, and I'm not sure if it is true, that Zidane found out that his mother is in hospital the VERY SAME DAY Materazzi alledgely (sp?) insulted her. If that is true I probably would've done the same to Marco but then again, I'm not a footballing legend who is looked up to by millions of football fans, both young and old. I think Zidane should've said to him 'Wait till I win the World Cup, then I'll knock the sh*t out of you'.

sadi
July 11, 2006, 03:32 PM
The calim is: Not only Materazzi said something BAD to Zidane... but he also twisted Zidane's ni[][]le with his finger.... and thereby questioned Zidane's manhood... Materazzi is a bad boy.:lol:

The question is... did he question Zidane's manhood or he is the other type?? lol... :lol:

abdulw11
July 11, 2006, 03:46 PM
How many Materazzis' can you headbutt before getting sent off?

http://www.footymax.com/zidane.htm

AsifTheManRahman
July 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
or he is the other type

this is why disallowing WAGs during a major competition is not a good idea...makes it impossible to overcome your desires, even when you're on the pitch in front of so many people ;)

Bancan
July 11, 2006, 06:51 PM
" On July 11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_11), 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006), FIFA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA) declared its intent to officially investigate the incident.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-24>[27] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zidane#_note-24)</SUP>
The new provisions had been adopted on 28 March (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_28) 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006)<SUP class=reference id=_ref-25>[28] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zidane#_note-25)</SUP><SUP class=reference id=_ref-26>[29] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zidane#_note-26)</SUP> and may lead to the FIFA Executive Committee imposing harsh sanctions and even disallowing Italy's team the World Cup victory if Materazzi is convicted of having insulted Zidane with racial slurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs)"

Source: wikipedia

ok is that possible

AsifTheManRahman
July 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
now that's kinda crazy. banning matz is one thing, and depriving an entire nation for the words of one man is another.

Bancan
July 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
i dont think its gonna happen. but still think abt it. wat if it happens. whos gonna be the champ? France i guess. if that wikipedia thing is true, France still has .0001% chance of winnin the cup!

sadi
July 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
lol that will be a joke

July 11, 2006, 10:03 PM
Inspired by Zidane incident, cricinfo has an interesting article:

"Random acts of violence"
Andrew Miller
July 11, 2006
As Zinedine Zidane so memorably demonstrated in Sunday's football World Cup final, tempers can fray rather easily in the world of competitive sport. With that in mind, Cricinfo presents eleven instances when emotions spilled over into something more dramatic than your average tete-a-tete.
<a href="http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/253039.html">Go to article</a>

Ejaj
July 12, 2006, 04:08 AM
To cats_eye vai :

R u a brazilian fan?. I mean, it makes lots of sense to have such hatred towards Zidane when he knocked out twice Brazil. I am a hardcore Brazilina supporter. and I was really upset with Zidane in 98. But, this time, i actually supported france after they knocked out my Brazil. Brazil ddint play at all to win this cup. So.. I dont have anyting other than team disappointment. Comparing Zidane to Hagi or Brolin, is quite rediculous. U r must be joking. :)

Sovik
July 12, 2006, 08:19 AM
FIFA should take this matter seriously, racism shouldn't be tolerated. Materazzi should Pay

SMHasan
July 12, 2006, 08:29 AM
Well, every truth is coming out today as Zidane will appear in French television at 1900 hrs British time. So lets wait what the legend says. I am really feeling sad for him and his fans. He is still my favourite one although I do not support his crime in the final match.

abdulw11
July 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Well, every truth is coming out today as Zidane will appear in French television at 1900 hrs British time. So lets wait what the legend says. I am really feeling sad for him and his fans. He is still my favourite one although I do not support his crime in the final match.

Really? Can't wait! :D I'm sure millions of eyes around the world will be glued on him.

abdulw11
July 12, 2006, 08:56 AM
Zinedine Zidane could be stripped of his World Cup Golden Ball award, FIFA chief Joseph Blatter has stated.

The Frenchman pipped Fabio Cannavaro and Andrea Pirlo to the honour, but there is the possibility that FIFA could act to reverse the decision made by a panel of journalists after his head-butt on Marco Materazzi in the World Cup Final.

“I’ve ordered our disciplinary section to open an investigation regarding the incident,” Blatter told the Repubblica newspaper. “We’ll await their findings before taking any action.

“The winner of that award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists.

“Saying that, FIFA’s executive committee has the power and the need to intervene when dealing with comportments which go against the ethics of sport.

“But we have to wait for the time being. Being innocent until being proved guilty is a sacred principle.”

Zidane shocked the footballing community with his gesture, one which Blatter has admitted was rather unexpected.

“It hurt me,” he continued. “I’ve known Zidane for many years. Seeing him react like that was bad, for himself and for fair play.

“He was so distraught after the game that when the French officials told him to go and collect his medal, he replied by stating that he didn’t deserve a medal.”

The Italian newspaper also used the interview to ask Blatter why he wasn’t part of the ceremony in which the Azzurri were handed the World Cup trophy.

“I was convinced that the honour should have gone to my Vice-President and UEFA President Lennart Johansson,” he explained.

“The decision had already been taken after the quarter-finals when it became clear that the title would have gone to a European nation. I thought it was the right thing to do.”

Meanwhile, Zidane is set to speak publicly for the first time after his controversial red card on French television this evening.

Source: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul12d.html

allrounder
July 12, 2006, 09:26 AM
Marco Materazzi acknowledged he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the French captain head-butted him in the World Cup final, but repeated his denial that he called Zidane a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender told the newspaper. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards."'

"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

source : yahoo sports : soccer : world section.

I wonder why he would not say what exactly he said to Zidane.

Bancan
July 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
matterazi doesnt know wat a terrorist is. u r kiddig me. i think even a top alqaeda once said they will attack italy

akabir77
July 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
FIFA should take back zidans golden ball and materazi's gold madel. then in future every one will think twice before doing this

Bancan
July 12, 2006, 07:14 PM
FIFA should take back zidans golden ball and materazi's gold madel. then in future every one will think twice before doing this

theres a slight possibility that italy may lose the cup too :D

i know its not gonna happen but one can dream right

Rabz
July 13, 2006, 12:15 AM
theres a slight possibility that italy may lose the cup too

ya.. they should take it away fm Italy and give it back to Brazil :D

abdulw11
July 13, 2006, 03:37 PM
theres a slight possibility that italy may lose the cup too :D

That would be a bit harsh, I think. Anyway, FIFA would not do that in a million years, if they do, I'll go out and buy a hat then eat it.

Rubu
July 13, 2006, 03:44 PM
That is not gonna happen for sure. But fifa should ban materazzi. for life.

Fazal
July 14, 2006, 10:41 AM

... as if materazzi has a life.

sadi
July 14, 2006, 10:46 AM

haha... Zidane will be like... yeah ban both of us for life.... opps I already retired... ;)

Hatebreed
July 14, 2006, 02:44 PM
ya.. they should take it away fm Italy and give it back to Brazil :D

I certainly don't mind! :lol: