PDA

View Full Version : Between Zimbabwe and Kenya - which one is the stronger team

Sam
July 17, 2006, 08:27 AM
Team Bangladesh are preparing for their African tour to Zimbabwe and Kenya. In papers, Zimbabwe is stronger than Kenya (even their position is higher than Bangladesh in ranking).
But Kenya has a bunch of exprience players like Steve Tikolo, Thomas Odoyo, Tony Suji, Peter Ongondo, Collins Obuya, Hitesh Modi and also some talented players like Tanmay Mishra, Brijal Patel etc. On the other hand, Zimbabwe team has very limited number of experienced player right now.
Considering these facts, can we judge which team are going to be the stronger opponent for Team Bangladesh.
Although BD captain and many other CB official think that Zim are the stronger opponent in compare to Kenya, how do you guys think about it?

roi
July 17, 2006, 10:04 AM
I think ZIM is much stronger than Kenya

kalpurush
July 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
Kenya...is much stronger team than Zimbabwe now. Steve Tikolo can steer a match home alone like Inzi or Ponting I believe.

Miraz
July 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
Despite current anarchy in Zimbabwe cricket, Zimbabwe is still far better compared to current Kenya team. Kenya drew a 5 match series 2-2 with one no result in the most disasterous period of Zimbabwe cricket. Now they are far better settled and have played some ODI.

In any day a team comprised of Matsikeyiari, Masakadza, Rinke, Taylor, Chibhbha, Rainsford and Sean Williams is far better than current Kenya team. In my opinion Bangladesh has to play good cricket in Zimbabwe to clinch the series comfortably.

israr
July 17, 2006, 04:20 PM
ofcourse zimbabwe's way better, what else can anyone expect, we saw the kenyans last time, and they're not the same team(eventhough most of their players are still the same), they aren't the side they used to be during 2003wc. wheras the zimbos have shown some very good talent, and iam sure, given a few more years more, and hopefully if Mugabe doesn't intervene again, the zimbabweans will be a good side.

Fazal
July 17, 2006, 04:36 PM
Between Zimbabwe and Kenya, there are Zambia, Mozambique and Tanzania... and none of them are known as a cricket powerhouse. The only cricket powerhouse is South Africa, but its far south and nowhere near betwwen Zimbabwe and Kenya.

TheWatcher
July 17, 2006, 05:26 PM
Both Zimbabwe and Kenya teams are going through transformation periods with more and more youngsters being brought into the sides in every match they play. So, to me, it is hard to determine which side is better at this point.

But, in near future, I think Kenya will be a far better side, reasons-

1) Kenyans have older and experienced players such as Tikolo, Modi, Odoyo, to mentor youngsters. For Zimbabwean youngsters, no such mentor is left in the country.

2) Cricket Kenya (CK) seemed to be evolving into a very professional cricket board, whereas ZC seemed to be determined to destroy the cricket infrastructure of their own country.

3) From internet medias, it seems popularity of cricket is rising in Kenya. Whereas in Zimbabwe, popularity of the game seemed to have taken a nose dive with the departure of Heath Streak and Co, and then of Taibu.

SMHasan
July 17, 2006, 07:56 PM
Between Zimbabwe and Kenya, there are Zambia, Mozambique and Tanzania... and none of them are known as a cricket powerhouse. The only cricket powerhouse is South Africa, but its far south and nowhere near betwwen Zimbabwe and Kenya.

Abaro faizlami!Apnar shanti nai!

Hatebreed
July 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
Abaro faizlami!Apnar shanti nai!

He's now a full-time BC clown in the absence of Babubangla bhai..

al Furqaan
July 17, 2006, 09:38 PM

fazal bhai, nishtoi apnake atlas ke consult korte hoiche ey shundor post lekhar age

:lol:

Rabz
July 18, 2006, 02:27 AM

man.. u rock :D

on the subject note, i dont just care who is stronger between the two, it should not be a concern for us. our objective would be to go their and come back home with 2 whitewash series wins. simple as that. loosing to either Kenya or Zimbabwe is simply not acceptable.
Period.

israr
July 18, 2006, 06:35 AM
kenya is weaker, c'm on, look at their players, they're at the twilight of their careers and shall be retiring soon. Popularity of cricket in Zimbabwe is still very much ahead of Kenya, eventhough of the current situation and they have got some very good youngsters comin in(look at their Ateam which gave us a tough time), if you analyse elaborately, Zimbabwe will be a much tougher side to compete rather than Kenya in the near future.

Andy-Flower
July 18, 2006, 07:13 AM
man.. u rock :D

on the subject note, i dont just care who is stronger between the two, it should not be a concern for us. our objective would be to go their and come back home with 2 whitewash series wins. simple as that. loosing to either Kenya or Zimbabwe is simply not acceptable.
Period.

Zim is not as weak as most of y'all make of it. If BD beat ZIM 5-0 then they will definetly put us on the level as Kenya...its only two weeks to go so no need to argue we will see what goes down...but i dont think its going to be easy for the Tigers.

But y'all do your thing and support your team -->Sydney thats the spirit my man HA HA HA....:)

Chemosit
July 18, 2006, 07:39 AM
For honour's sake, I feel i have to weigh in on this one ;)

IF Zim could call on all of their players, and IF Kenya could call on all of theirs, I would say hands down Zim would be favourites to win a series between the two.

However. Zim have a very young, inexperienced side right now. Yes they have a couple more ODI under their belt since the 2-2 drawn series earlier this year, but so do Kenya. I would say that as we stand, the teams are fairly evenly poised, but that if Zim played against us in Kenya, we would win.:D

Unfortunately there are no scheduled match ups for a while, so we will have to see how each fares against Bangladesh. I expect Bangladesh to win both series, but for Kenya to take a match. Let the games begin...

Omio
July 18, 2006, 08:28 AM
According to last series Kenya is more stornger than Zim.
Kenya hav some good player.
But Zim, they dont have any experience player.

mac
July 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
Zim is stronger. Kenya's cricket is about to die.:(

Tigers_eye
July 18, 2006, 12:57 PM
...c'm on, look at their players, they're at the twilight of their careers and shall be retiring soon.
That's what England thought about Jayasuriya.

Zim with their full strength team is far better than Kenya. But with the current squad I believe experience alone will tip the balance. Its the mental game more than a physical game that determines who is better. Kenya all the way. The 2-2 draw: did you look at the scheduling and traveling of the Kenyan team? Even BD would have a hard time to beat Zim if we face the same predicament.

kalpurush
July 18, 2006, 11:29 PM
That's what England thought about Jayasuriya.

Zim with their full strength team is far better than Kenya. But with the current squad I believe experience alone will tip the balance. Its the mental game more than a physical game that determines who is better. Kenya all the way. The 2-2 draw: did you look at the scheduling and traveling of the Kenyan team? Even BD would have a hard time to beat Zim if we face the same predicament.

You said it:up:

Chemosit
July 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
Zim is stronger. Kenya's cricket is about to die.:( :-/

If anything you have the teams around the wrong way. Cricket in Kenya is actually growing at the moment, and we have a new board who are comitting to doing things the right way. It may take a couple of years for the results to really be seen, but Kenyan cricket is really seeing a new dawn at the moment.

I really hope we see the mess in Zim sorted out soon. Both for the people and the cricket.

battye
July 20, 2006, 10:00 AM
Zim is not as weak as most of y'all make of it. If BD beat ZIM 5-0 then they will definetly put us on the level as Kenya...its only two weeks to go so no need to argue we will see what goes down...but i dont think its going to be easy for the Tigers.

But y'all do your thing and support your team -->Sydney thats the spirit my man HA HA HA....:)

Andy-Flower, what is cricket like at the lower levels in Zimbabwe. From Cricinfo, I saw that the local one-day comp. standard wasn't that good because Mashonaland had no players from their leading clubs.. but what about at grassroots level? Do kids play in the parks/streets etc, or does cricket take second place to another sport such as soccer?

israr
July 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
Well, Andy-Flower, at the moment, to what extent is cricket popular in Zimbabwe. Do Zimbabweans talk about cricket even after the current crisis, and is or was cricket anytime the most popular sport in Zimbabwe?

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
July 22, 2006, 08:23 AM
Zimabwe is better..they have format...kenya is lacking proffessionalism........