PDA

View Full Version : DS: Academy to bridge the gap

TheWatcher
July 17, 2006, 01:50 PM
It had been told over and over again that Bangladesh cricket has a lack of back-up players for the national side. And there is hardly any planning for the Bangladesh A team to make it a real supporting block for the senior side.

Another issue that also has been discussed time and again is the Bangladesh Cricket Board's (BCB) lack of planning to help out-of-favour recover form at all levels.

To solve these very urgent problems, BCB, however has taken an initiative recently. The game's governing body in the country has formed an Academy under its name on temporary basis and the authority is dreaming to give it a real shape within short time.

In its first step, BCB has recently appointed former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mahmud as its operations manager and the former all-rounder was very excited and optimistic with the new venture.

"I think the board has taken a very important initiative which will definitely play a big part in Bangladesh cricket in future. I have seen how out-of-favour but talented players drifted away from the scene after being dropped from the national or under-19 sides. I think the Academy could be a solution to keep them in track," said Mahmud.

"The concept is that we can make a bridge between the senior and junior teams with the academy side. As per our plan a number of selected players will continue their practice and get necessary opinions from experts during their long stint in the academy. I think it will also open a window for the locals coaches," he added.

BCB has already announced a 27-member academy squad with a mix of discarded national and young players who has been practising together and played three matches against the national side.

"BCB has recently set up an office to run the show and rented a house for the players in Dhan-mondi area. The most encouraging thing is that the board is not worried about expenses to run the show. We have a plan to tour Pakistan in August to play some matches against the Pakistan Academy team and the board is also negotiating with its Sri Lankan counterparts. So I see a big prospect with the Academy," Mahmud hoped.

BCB Development Committee chairman Jamiluddin Khondokar, however, was very much aware of the fact that they should transform the temporary idea into a permanent one.

"We have been searching for a land in the Mirpur area to establish the academy. We need a permanent establishment to make it successful. The board has a plan to make it an academy like in Pakistan or Australia," said Jamil.

"I think money is not a big problem right at the moment for the board. I don't know why BRAC backed away from sponsoring the academy but I have learnt that GrameenPhone has showed interest to be involved with the project," he informed.

Jamil also said that some major decisions about the academy will be taken in the next working committee meeting on July 23.

Original Report (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/07/18/d60718040128.htm)

sadi
July 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
great move... couple of reasons:

1. The appointment of chacha as the manager. I am sure he is on his way to be the manager for the national team in near future but thats definately a start.

2. To tour other countries. That will expose our young players to different conditions and it will definately work as a bridge between our super under-19 team and average national team.

SS
July 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
a great move to bring back AlShahriar or Musfiq Babu. Not sure if chacha will choose Rana or Tapash, Nazmul.
Reducing the gap of rejected players not sure how good it will do to us. Are they noticing we have a big problem in pace department. Our A-team bowling looked so ordinary in recent matches.Also our weaknesses of top orders' with new balls and even in spins!

Duck
July 17, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good initiative. No doubt....

1. However, to instill the Majeja of Longer Version of the cricket, we really need to make the Domestic/National League (3/4dayers) very competitive and standard, not only in playing good crickets but also in developing the infrastructures like the good sporting pitch and field, players salary, coaching etc.

2. As we have discussed in defferent levels of BC forums: selecting the young players for national Caps earlier then they are really prepared for (many of the cases), is nothing but ruining their career. Eventually, most of them are discarded out of favor forever. It is better nurture them 1st in different level and then expose in real world.

3. Sometimes, it feels like our selectors should go to an Academy where they will learn how to select a player and not spoil the talents. :(

sadi
July 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
I just hope its the right time to bring Sakib or Forhad to the national team. We saw the selectors messing it up so many times before when they called someone before they were ready. I understand its the best time to experient as we are taking on two teams that are a little below standard. But is it still too early for these two cubs?

MarufH
July 18, 2006, 12:15 AM
Saqib said he personally wasn't expecting the call!!! He is really surprised...

kalpurush
July 18, 2006, 01:04 AM
Appointing Khaled Mahmud as Operations Manager is a very good decision taken by BCB. He is a great motivator and hard working person. All the best.

cricket_dorshok
July 18, 2006, 02:11 AM
I just hope its the right time to bring Sakib or Forhad to the national team. We saw the selectors messing it up so many times before when they called someone before they were ready. I understand its the best time to experient as we are taking on two teams that are a little below standard. But is it still too early for these two cubs?

yes, i think its early to call them in national side. both of them were suprised on getting call in the national side. IMO, they should play another 2 years in the A team. Not only Faruk and Co. but also a lot of BC members wanted them in national side. Personally, I think they didn't do anything special in A team so that they can get a call. performance in U-19 should not be criteria in getting selected in national side. rather there should be consistent performance in all level (U-19, A etc.) before national side.

Rabz
July 18, 2006, 02:22 AM
good plan by CB,but we would still have to wait and see how they execute the plans.
Cuz our BD admininstrators are always big in words, let see how they rake up against it.

mac
July 18, 2006, 04:08 AM
Good move, no doubt. But there is little difference between High Performance Squad and this Academy team.:up:

TheWatcher
July 25, 2006, 12:44 PM
BCCB National Academy Squad 2006

1. Nazmus Sadat
2. Golam Rahman Himel
3. Tamim Iqbal
4. Shakib Al Hasan
5. Zahirul Islam
6. Uttam Sarkar
7. Mehrab Hossain jnr
8. Marshall Ayub
9. Nadif Chowdhury
10. Sagir Hossain Pavel
11. Israq Sonnet
12. Mushfiqur Rahim
13. Mahmudullah Ryad
14. Musharaff Rubel
15. Sohrawardi Shuvo
16. Farhad Reza
17. Sirajullah Khadem Nipu
18. Arif Hossain
19. Rezaul Islam
20. Ziaur Rahman
21. Shafaq Al Zabir
22. Mahbubul Alam Robin
23. Dollar Mahmud
24. Humayun Kabir Shaheen
25. Sajidul Islam
26. Nazmul Hossain
27. Kamrul Islam

-TigerCricket

*Wondering what happened to Talha Jubair.

Fazal
July 25, 2006, 12:56 PM
Is this the same Nazmul Hossain? But why?

SS
July 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
i wonder creating the academy will rely on political power. When will it start nobodoy knows. Who knows what will happen to it if political power changes. I am tired of PROMISES.
no hope till we destroy these false promises by our big mouth politicians and officials. No hope till we see a real academy functioning for specific period of time, especially disregarding political changes of our two favorite parties.

Rabz
July 26, 2006, 02:30 AM
i wonder creating the academy will rely on political power. When will it start nobodoy knows. Who knows what will happen to it if political power changes. I am tired of PROMISES.
no hope till we destroy these false promises by our big mouth politicians and officials. No hope till we see a real academy functioning for specific period of time, especially disregarding political changes of our two favorite parties.

very well said my freind:up:

HereWeGo
July 26, 2006, 04:12 AM
Some other players i would love to see there are
Al Shahriar, Waseluddin, Ehsanul haque, Biddyut( if still playing), Taposh, sharif and talha zubair

AsifTheManRahman
July 26, 2006, 09:51 AM
Some other players i would love to see there are
Al Shahriar, Waseluddin, Ehsanul haque, Biddyut( if still playing), Taposh, sharif and talha zubair

lol. i don't think the academy's open to buira beta's. as for sharif and zubair, they never had any hope anyways :)

TheWatcher
July 27, 2006, 07:19 PM
I wonder what happened to Shamsur Rahman, Nabil Samad, and Yasin Arafat.

TheWatcher
July 30, 2006, 03:44 PM
Tour Of Pakistan
BCB announces Academy team
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday announced a 14-member National Cricket Academy squad for next month's Pakistan tour.

Mehrab Hossain has been rewarded for his recent impressive performance with the Bangladesh A team as the left-hander was named captain for the trip.

The Academy side, which is scheduled to leave for Pakistan on August 15, will play two four-day and three one-day matches against their Pakistan counterparts during the tour.

Former national skipper Khaled Mahmud will accompany the team as manager operations while Australian Allister de Winter the coach.

SQUAD
Mehrab Hossain (captain), Nazmus Sadat, Zahirul Islam, Uttam Sarker, Marshall Ayub, Nadif Chowdhury, Sahagir Hossain, Mahmudullah Riyadh, Musharraf Rubel, Suhrawardy Shuvo, Ziaur Rahman, Shafaq Al Jabir, Dollar Mahmud and Nazmul Hossain.

Original Report (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/07/31/d60731040534.htm)

TheWatcher
July 30, 2006, 03:53 PM
Bit surprised to see Tamim has been left out. Also, I hoped to see an offie (Rezaul Islam or Yasin Arafat) would be groomed in this tour. Instead of that, they have kept packing the team with SLA's (Nadif, Musharraf, and Suhrawardy).

HawkEye000
July 30, 2006, 04:41 PM
I dont know what is wrong with the selectors, there should be no reason why they should exclude Tamim. He is one of the few Bangladesh players with a first class average of over 50 and in this season his record is phenomenal in the NCL (469 runs at an average of 78.16). He also did okay in the matches that the academy team played against the national team.

HawkEye000
July 30, 2006, 04:48 PM
Bit surprised to see Tamim has been left out. Also, I hoped to see an offie (Rezaul Islam or Yasin Arafat) would be groomed in this tour. Instead of that, they have kept packing the team with SLA's (Nadif, Musharraf, and Suhrawardy).

The relative lack of success of the offies in our domestic cricket is one of the reason why the selectors tend not to pick them. But the situation is soon gonna change. The main reason why the left arm spinners had so much success in the domestic cricket of Bnagladesh was that predominantly most batsmen were right handers. But with the advent of so many left handed batsmen in our domestic cricket, offies would tend to have some success from now on.

TheWatcher
July 30, 2006, 06:27 PM
The relative lack of success of the offies in our domestic cricket is one of the reason why the selectors tend not to pick them.
Funny thing is that what you said is not the case here- Yasin Arafat was the most successful spinner (50 wickets) in the last NCL, and Rezaul Islam took four wickets in the last practice match against Bangladesh national team.

As far I remember Pakistan U/19 team had few good left hand bats. So, I think there were plenty of reasons to pick one of those two offies.

sadi
July 30, 2006, 07:11 PM
totally agree with the watcher... they should've picked yasin instead of rubel.... i heard nadif is one of the best talent out there.... biddut played with him last year in corporate league and was really excited about this young guy... looking forward to see him in action in pakistan

HawkEye000
July 30, 2006, 07:23 PM
Funny thing is that what you said is not the case here- Yasin Arafat was the most successful spinner (50 wickets) in the last NCL, and Rezaul Islam took four wickets in the last practice match against Bangladesh national team.

Just looking at the sheer number of wickets taken may sometimes mislead us. If you look at strike rate of some the spinners going around in domestic cricket, you can see the difference.

Look at the strike rates of the following spinner in FC cricket.

Shuvo (SLA) - 49.35
Arafat Sunny (SLA) - 50.18
Yasin Arafat (offie)- 64.38
Elias Sunny (SLA)- 52.91
Nadif (SLA) - 62.50

So Yasin Arafat's strike rate is even poorer than Nadif who is considered more of an allrounder. I dont think there is any diffrence in quality among those spinners but the SLAs tend to have better SR for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post. And this makes our selectors go for the SLAs rather than an offie.

In the case of the Academy team, I think the batting prowess of Nadis, Shuvo and Musharaf also played a role in their selection ahead of Rezaul and Yasin. But we really need to groom an offie, so I would have liked if they had preferred Yasin Arafat over Musharaf.

TheWatcher
July 30, 2006, 08:06 PM
Not sure whether strike rate is that important for spinners (they are not called strike bowlers, right ?). To me, anything around 60 should be good enough. Otherwise Enamul Jr or Abdur Razzak probably should not be in the national team.

I think average is a better indicator for them.

Anyrate, Yasin's bowling stats look better than those of Mosharraf Hossain (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56017.html).

HawkEye000
July 30, 2006, 08:14 PM
I think strike rate is also an important factor along with average. But if a bowler has a mid 60s strike rate in domestic cricket, it would certainly go up by another 10 to 15 in test cricket, if he ever gets to play at that level. And that would be a really poor SR even for a spinner. So the SR surely give us a little guidance about his bowling potency.

As I said on my earlier post that I would have liked if Yasin was preferred over Musharraf.

TheWatcher
August 14, 2006, 01:14 PM
Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/08/15/d60815040427.htm)

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/08/15/2006-08-15__sports05.jpg

With an aim to produce players for the national side, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) National Cricket Academy team leaves Dhaka today for Pakistan.

Promising left-handed batsman Mehrab Hossain, also an useful left-arm spinner, will lead the team in two four-day and three one-day matches against the Pakistan Academy side.

The focus will definitely be on the captain as the national selectors have already spotted him as a future prospect for the country, especially after his recent impressive performances with Bangladesh A in Zimbabwe.

"This is a very good opportunity for the young prospects to prove their prowess. We have no idea about our opponents but my past experience suggests that Pakistan have a very good supply of young talents. Our team will definitely face a quality pace attack during the tour," said team operations manager Khaled Mahmud.

"Our main target is to establish the academy side as a genuine second string team after the national side," the former national skipper added.

BCB made a late change in the 14-member squad as off-spinner Rezaul Islam Rajan was included in place of ailing Mahmudullah Riyadh, who has been diagnosed with dengue fever.

The BCB side will play their first four-dayer in Karachi from August 17 and the second and final four-dayer will take place in Multan from August 23.

The first one-day match will be held on August 27 at the Sheikhupura Cricket Stadium followed by the second one-dayer on August 31 at the Jinnah Stadium in Sialkot and third one-dayer on September 2 at the Bagh-e-Jinnah Stadium in Lahore.

SQUAD
Mehrab Hossain (captain), Nazmus Sadat, Zahirul Islam, Uttam Sarker, Marshall Ayub, Nadif Chowdhury, Sahagir Hossain, Rezaul Islam Rajan, Musharraf Rubel, Suhrawardy Shuvo, Ziaur Rahman, Shafaq Al Jabir, Dollar Mahmud and Nazmul Hossain.

TheWatcher
August 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
Wish Mahmudullah a quick recovery. But I believe it is good thing for the team is that they took Offie Rajon in his place.

Now we have five SLA's (Mehrab, Nazmus, Nadif, Rubel, Shuvo), one part time leggie (Marshall), and an offie (Rajon)- a totall of seven spinners in the team. I hope Pakis will make some turning tracks for us.

sadi
August 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
Good move to have an offspiner in the team.

sadi
August 14, 2006, 02:15 PM
l;llokniouwedlololololol

calm down!!! now tell me what it means.

Rohel
August 15, 2006, 10:36 PM
what's wrong with selector,we don't have enough bastman

Rohel
August 15, 2006, 10:40 PM
They should include suamsur rahaman and and Shrajaul Kadam. Also, Samsur rahman played during the u19 world cup. He played for A team. So, i dont see any point ex-clude him. He is not even not on the list 27 member of academy. Also,What's up with Rakibul Hasan.He is not in the list. Any one can explain to me

sadi
August 16, 2006, 09:06 AM
They are definately a batsman or two short. Two many spinners in the team. Not a balanced side.

TheWatcher
August 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
Today's Amardesh (http://amardesh.u46.futurecrafts.com/sub_section.php?NewsID=49859&NewsType=bistarito) said Shuvo, Zia, and Rajon will be benched for the first four day match. Khaled Mahmud is expecting the pitch to be batting friendly. PCB Academy team is believed to have few players from Pakistan A-team.

Hmm, playing Nazmul in a four day match ??? Does Mahmud know that PCB Academy has an attacking left hand openning batsman named Nasir Jamshed ?

TheWatcher
August 16, 2006, 04:37 PM
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>This is the PCB Academy team that played against the visiting Nepal national team (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Seasons/PAK/2006-07_PAK_Nepal_in_Pakistan_2006-07.html) earlier this month-

Khurram Manzoor (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/45/45708/45708.html)
</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Nasir Jamshed (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/69/69575/69575.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>*Shahid Yousuf (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/11/11317/11317.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Fawad Alam (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/54/54945/54945.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Adnan Raza (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/49/49628/49628.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Riaz Kail (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/68/68791/68791.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>+Sarfraz Ahmed (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/69/69226/69226.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Imran Khalid (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/56/56523/56523.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Akhtar Ayub (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/68/68356/68356.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Anwar Ali (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/79/79088/79088.html)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Jamshed Ahmed (http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/69/69506/69506.html)

Shahid Yousuf and his deputy Fawad Alam are the ones who have played for Pakistan A-team. The rest are recent graduates from U/19 team. However, from images, their players seems to be older than ours.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

rudro
August 17, 2006, 08:43 AM
Can We Make This A Sticky Thread, Mods? We Want To Keep A Good Watch On Our Next Generation.

Rabz
August 17, 2006, 08:50 AM
good luck boys in Pakistan

khalifa
August 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
Do we have any score updates for the first 4-dayer?

BDCL
August 17, 2006, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know the score of 1st day's play? Can any fan from Bangladesh or Pakistan give us an update?

Rabz
August 17, 2006, 12:34 PM
just looked thru cricinfo and bangladesherkhela..no news of the game ..
if anyone hv any info..plz let us know...

TheWatcher
August 17, 2006, 01:21 PM
Jahirul Islam was just four runs short of a well-deserved hundred as the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) National Academy scored 230 for six in the first innings on the opening day of the first four-day match against Pakistan Cricket Academy at the TMC ground in Karachi yesterday.

The game began 30 minutes late due to wet outfield because of overnight rain.

The young right-hander also known as Omi, was not out on 96 when the umpires pulled the stumps for the day at the end of the 85th over. He was partnered by Mosharraf Rubel, who was unbeaten on six.

Apart from Jahirul, Nadif Chowdhury scored 55.

rudro
August 17, 2006, 01:32 PM
Good job Jahir!

Tigers_eye
August 17, 2006, 02:38 PM
230/6 good score. can't wait for the scorecard. keep it up boys.

Typo corrected. Thanks Sadi.

sadi
August 17, 2006, 02:39 PM
260/6 good score. can't wait for the scorecard. keep it up boys.

I think its 230/6... if they can add another 100 or 150, it should be a pretty decent score

Hatebreed
August 17, 2006, 02:45 PM
Keep it up BCB Academy, another 120-150 should be a good score for 1st inning.

AsifTheManRahman
August 17, 2006, 02:47 PM
not a great score, and nothing to whine about either. with three bowlers padded up in the dressing room, it all comes down to how the boys bowl later tomorrow.

TheWatcher
August 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
Sujon told Amardesh that batsmen were deprived of many possible boundaries because of the wet outfield. He also said that the pitch was batting friendly, but the juniors (except Jahirul) decided to follow precedents set by our seniors and threw their wickets away.

Amardesh added that Sadat scored 30 runs.

rudro
August 18, 2006, 08:49 AM
Mods, can we please make it a sticky thread till the end of the tour? Also there is another thread (Mehrab junior to lead...) discussing the same topic. Perhaps we could merge both.

rudro
August 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
340 all out : Dollar 64, Jahirul 104.
Bangladesher khela

Miraz
August 18, 2006, 12:34 PM
Congratulation to Jahirul and impressive support from Dollar Mahmud who is primarily a pace bowler.

TheWatcher
August 18, 2006, 01:19 PM
Jahirul Islam completed a well-deserved hundred but then fell early as BCB National Cricket Academy still had the upper hand with their first innings score of 340 on the second day of the first four-day match against the PCB National Academy at the TMC ground in Karachi yesterday.

The Pakistan Academy batted well though as they reached 146 for two at the end of the day's play.

A tall right-hander, Jahirul scored 104 in an innings that spanned almost six hours before falling to left-arm fast bowler Mohammad Irshad, who took five wickets in the innings. But late resistance from lower-order batsman Dollar Mahmud was a major feature in the innings. Dollar, predominantly a medium-pacer, scored a patient 64 as his fruitful 93-run ninth wicket stand with fellow paceman and Bangladesh international Nazmul Hossain took the tourists past the 300-run mark.

The good time continued for the visitors as left-arm seamer Shafaq Al Jabir drew first blood picking up opener Khurram with the score on one. One-down Usman also fell soon after to Nazmul via a leg-before decision.

But the home side's innings was revived as opener Nasir and Fawwad shared an unbeaten 122-run third wicket stand. Nasir was not out on 89 while Fawwad remained at the crease on 47.

rudro
August 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
I am very surprised to see that TIGERCRICKET.COM is silent about this tour.

Rabz
August 19, 2006, 12:20 AM
congrats Jahirul and Dollar.
impressive stuff.
keep up the good work boys.

TheWatcher
August 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
The visiting Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) National Cricket Academy took a slender lead of six runs over Pakistan Cricket Academy on the third day of the first four-day match at the TMC ground in Karachi yesterday.

At stumps, the BCB side openers Nazmus Sadat (33) and skipper Mehrab Hossain (9) were unbeaten as they took the second innings total to 49 for no loss in 16 overs in their second innings to gain an overall lead of 55 runs. The hosts finished their first essay at 383 in 118.3 overs.

Earlier, spinner Marshall Ayub sparked a late-order collapse to restrict the rampant hosts after they started well from their overnight score of 246 for two.

The young right-armer took three for 41 to sink the Pakistanis from the relative ease of 350 for five to 383 all out while fast bowler Nazmul and left-arm spinner Mehrab supported him with two victims each. Opening bowler Shafaq Al Jabir took his only wicket on the second day while another left-armer Mosharraf Rubel took one wicket as well.

For the hosts, Nasir knocked 124 but Fawwad missed his ton when he fell to Mehrab on 96, ending a massive 208-run third wicket stand with Nasir. Shahid also stroked a quickfire 80.

Miraz
August 19, 2006, 01:53 PM
Impressive fightback by BCB academy after PCB academy was dominating the game at one point. Now they should bat sensibly to post a defendable total.

israr
August 19, 2006, 04:02 PM
Good going

Spitfire_x86
August 19, 2006, 07:28 PM
Is this a First Class match?

TheWatcher
August 20, 2006, 09:58 AM
Is this a First Class match?
I don't think matches between Academies are considered FC matches.

On a related note, PCB Academy team captain Shahid Yousuf got called up for Pakistan ODI team in England.

TheWatcher
August 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
The first four day match between BCB and PCB academies ended in a draw. BCB scored 203 runs in the second innings loosing one wicket. Sadat scored 81, Mehrab 56(n.o.) and Zahirul 62(n.o.). Fawad Alam got the only wicket for PCB.

-BD Khela

Miraz
August 20, 2006, 10:39 AM
The first four day match between BCB and PCB academies ended in a draw. BCB scored 203 runs in the second innings loosing one wicket. Sadat scored 81, Mehrab 56(n.o.) and Zahirul 62(n.o.). Fawad Alam got the only wicket for PCB.

-BD Khela

That's a very fine knock from BCB academy considering final day. Their seniors used to throw the gain of first innings in the second innings. It is good to see they are not following them.

Rabz
August 20, 2006, 11:10 AM
very well done boys...
congrats...
we certainly hv a really good future waiting us

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
When does the 2nd match start? Any updates?

sadi
August 23, 2006, 01:57 PM
The first day should be over by now...

sadi
August 23, 2006, 01:58 PM
BCB Academy start brightly
Sports Reporter

The BCB National Academy team thrived on two half centuries by Nazmus Sadat and Zahirul Islam to make a bright start on the first day of the second and final four-day match against a Pakistan Academy side at Multan yesterday.

At stumps, the visiting side scored 241 for five wickets in 92 overs with Nadif Chowdhury (42) and Shuvo (0) batting.

Despite skipper Mehrab Hossain's early departure for 10 runs, BCB Academy team had a very good lunch when they put 76 runs on the board in the first session after the home side had invited them to bat first.

Opener Nazmus Sadat scored 64 off 105 balls that featured nine boundaries while Zahirul, who smashed a hundred and a fifty in previous matches, continued his good form with a patient 181-ball 53 with five hits to the fence.
Sahagir Hossain was the other notable scorer with 46.

BagherBacha
August 23, 2006, 02:02 PM
BCB 241/5 92 overs, Nadif Chowdhury 42* and Shuvo 0* . mehrab 10, sadat 64(105),zahirul 53(181), sagir 46.

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
Great going. Thank you guys for the update.

Now for some BC members please don't ask for Zahir to be included in the national team.
... BCB Academy team had a very good lunch ...
Does anyone know what was on the menu? Surely not biriani? :D

AsifTheManRahman
August 23, 2006, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know what was on the menu? Surely not biriani? :D

actually, i remember reading somewhere that in a ctg game, the bangladesh national team had biryani from a nearby restaurant for lunch. seriously, what kind of a crappy food habit is that? biryani in the middle of a game?

Fazal
August 23, 2006, 08:42 PM
Biriani? Coach McInnes Ailo.... Not only atar Ruti... they need some ice therapy after the game.

salu
August 24, 2006, 01:01 AM
Anybody can give us the info. that this team is PAKISTAN NATIONAL CRICKET ACADEMY or PROVINCE academy team.

Matter fo fact that we have no confidence in our any team..thats shouldn't be.as our team so far playing well as pakistan academy team is very strong side.all young talent is in the team.So thats why question should be arised that is it national academy side? If it is then we should be proud for our team as we are playing in their field..and domonating so far.

salu
August 24, 2006, 01:03 AM
If we can gather 100 more then it will be good as 340+ score is laways good for 4 day match.is in it?

PoorFan
August 24, 2006, 02:10 AM
Our talented 'top order' only can dream of such consistency. Hope they keep it up, like to see their OD performance too.

TheWatcher
August 24, 2006, 07:56 AM
BD Academy 285</B> Over - 113 (Sadat 64, Zahirul 53, Nadif 57, Sagir 46)
Pak Academy 205/1</B>

-TC

A bad day for our boys :(

Miraz
August 24, 2006, 08:43 AM
Real worries for the final 4 day match. Our boys should come out strongly tomorrow. A very strong 2nd innings batting can only save thhis match for our boys.

Tigers_eye
August 24, 2006, 08:47 AM
We can still salvage this game. We have to bat 3 and a half sessions in the second innings, that's it. We are still leading 80 runs. I presume at best opponent can leave half a session tommorow to test our top order. Go BD!!

LateCut
August 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
What happend to Waskorooni?

Rabz
August 24, 2006, 10:22 AM
yah..looks like a bad day for the boys..
but i believe they can bounce back.. they hv shown maturity in the past...

good luck boys.

rudro
August 24, 2006, 01:00 PM
Pak Academy 205/1</B>

-TC

A bad day for our boys :(
Yes, in deed! 241/5 -> 285/10? Last time they had a better show with the tailenders. Where are our bowlers? We thought this team had more bowlers then batsmen.

betaar
August 24, 2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, in deed! 241/5 -> 285/10? Last time they had a better show with the tailenders. Where are our bowlers? We thought this team had more bowlers then batsmen.

Just having bowlers in the team does not get you wickets...:D

TheWatcher
August 24, 2006, 05:09 PM
Where are our bowlers? We thought this team had more bowlers then batsmen.
The team is packed with SLAs and medium pacers. While medium pacers are just useless on a barren pitch like Multan, our SLAs seem to be ineffective against left hand bats (after the current two lefty batting- Nasir and Usman, PCB still has Fawad Alam to come).

Again, why the heck they left out Yasin Arafat (offie) and Talha Jubair (quickie) from the academy ?

SS
August 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
What a horrible show of bowling, only 1 wkt. What we will do with so many SLAs' and slow medium pacers like chacha.

rudro
August 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
Latest from TC:

BD Academy Vs Pak Academy
Pak Academy 468/5 dec</B> Over -126 (Khurram 97, Nasir Jamshed 173, Usman Saeed 118; Rezaul 3/58)
BD Academy 2nd Inn 132/1 in 29 overs (Sadat 58, Mehrab 48*, Zahirul 15*) BD Academy still require 51 runs to make Pak Academy bat again. 2nd 4-day match Aug 23-26 at Multan. End of Day Three.

sadi
August 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
The only offspinner in the team took 3 wkts... They should've picked Yasin Arafat... disappointing bowling performance but lets see how batting comes up in the second innings... so far so good

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
Good response by BD academy after trailing by a huge margin. I hope seniors can learn something from their juniors.

rudro
August 25, 2006, 10:24 AM
Good response by BD academy after trailing by a huge margin. I hope seniors can learn something from their juniors.
My concern is the morning session. If Mehrab and Jahirul can survive the morning session, we will be OK.

Tigers_eye
August 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
Weldone and keep it up boys. Two+ sessions we will force a draw. This team should at least play the 3 day warm up match against the England A.

Ahmed_B
August 26, 2006, 09:06 AM
2nd 4-day match (Aug 23-26) at Multan.

BD Academy-Inn1: 285 Over - 113 (Sadat 64, Zahirul 53, Nadif 57, Pavel 46)
Pak Academy-Inn-1: 468/5 dec Over -126 (Khurram 97, Nasir Jamshed 173, Usman Saeed 118; Rezaul 3/58)
BD Academy-Inn-2:317 in 107 overs (Sadat 58, Mehrab 66, Zahirul 29, Nadif 39, Pavel 31, Zia 32 at number 11)
Pak Academy-Inn-2: 47/1 in 5 overs

Result: Match Drawn
Source:Tigercricket

Rabz
August 27, 2006, 12:49 AM
again, good performance from the boys id hv to say.
they came from the back and drew the match. good performance by Mehrab again.
consistent batting and 3 half centuries from 4 innings.

Shafin
August 28, 2006, 02:12 AM
Good performance

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2006, 08:35 AM
Yes!! We have a great future. Mehrab did great but Nazmus Sadat and Zahirul both out performed him in the longer version of the game. We need to groom these boys. Job very well done. When the ODI starts?

rudro
August 28, 2006, 08:55 AM
Congrats, boys! Keep it up in ODIs.

TheWatcher
August 28, 2006, 07:04 PM
TigerCricket.com report (http://tigercricket.com/newnewsviews.aspx?Columnid=7)
29-August-2006

Due to heavy rain today's (Tuesday)1st one-day match between the Pakistan National Academy and touring Bangladesh National Cricket Academy in Sheikhupura has been called off.

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 12:14 AM
oh..thats a bad news. hope we had some cricket and most importantly, beat those pakis.

TheWatcher
August 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
TigerCricket.com Report (http://www.tigercricket.com/newnewsviews.aspx?Columnid=9)
29-August-2006

The touring Bangladesh National Cricket Academy side will take on the Pakistan National Academy in the first one-day match of their three-game series at Sialkot tomorrow (Wednesday).

The fixture was originally scheduled to be held in Sheikhupura today but torrential rain there forced the authorities to call off the match on Monday.

With no prospect of the game taking place in Sheikhupura the visitors today traveled to Sialkot, venue for Thursday’s second match and according to new arrangements the first one-dayer will now be held there on Wednesday.

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
good luck to the boys.
hope they register their first win of the tour.

PoorFan
August 30, 2006, 05:50 AM
BD Academy 177</B> Over - Zahirul 45, Nadif 33, Shuvo 23,
Pak Academy 128/1</B> Over -23
1st One Day at Sialkot (Pakistan)

source tigercricket (http://www.tigercricket.com/)

BD losing the 1st match.:mad:

Tigers_eye
August 30, 2006, 08:52 AM
BD Academy 177</B> Over - Zahirul 45, Nadif 33, Shuvo 23,
Pak Academy 178/3</B> Over -39
Pak Academy won by 7 wkts,1st One Day at Sialkot (Pakistan)

Past is past. Take one game at a time. Good luck on the next one.

rudro
August 30, 2006, 09:02 AM
Our captain is a failure in this series. He needs to do something in the next two matches to do justice to his inclusion in the national squad.

Why is it that everytime we play some games, a different player performs? In one series we see Sakib, in the next one Sadat, then comes Mehrab who is followed by Jahirul. Why can't one player be in form for more than one series?

I hope Jahirul will continue his form in future so that we can have our future test batsmen in Mehrab, Sadat, Jahirul, Uttam...(Where are Shamsur and Dhiman?)

AsifTheManRahman
August 30, 2006, 09:19 AM
yeah, mehrab better perform in the next couple of games.

and i too wonder what happened to dhiman. injustice to his talent?

BagherBacha
August 30, 2006, 09:22 AM
dhiman is dhanning

PoorFan
August 31, 2006, 05:54 AM
Pak Academy Vs BD Academy

Pak Academy 281/6</B> Over - 50 Shafaq 2/48, Nazmul 1 wkt, Mehrab 1 wkt, Rajon 1 wkt
BD Academy 25/1 Over -4</B>
2nd One Day at Sialkot (Pakistan)

Sounds bad ...

Rabz
August 31, 2006, 07:11 AM
Our captain is a failure in this series. He needs to do something in the next two matches to do justice to his inclusion in the national squad.

Why is it that everytime we play some games, a different player performs? In one series we see Sakib, in the next one Sadat, then comes Mehrab who is followed by Jahirul. Why can't one player be in form for more than one series?

I hope Jahirul will continue his form in future so that we can have our future test batsmen in Mehrab, Sadat, Jahirul, Uttam...(Where are Shamsur and Dhiman?)

mehrab junior is a failure?? which series? in one day or 4-day matches??
cuz if u talking about 4-day games, i thought he scored 2 half centuries in 4 innings which should give him a healthey average of around 35-40 for the "test" series, keeping in mind i could not find the scores for the other two innings. plus he also got couple of wickets to compliment his runs.

and there had been only 1 one day game with the 2nd one going on right now. failing to score in the 1st match is not the failure for the series. lets see what he can do in the 2nd match.

and different players performing in different games should be a positive sign. that means we hv multiple potential match winners in the side and is not heavily reliant on ONE particular name. that goes to show the diversity of talents that we got in that young team and also everyone needing to perform to stay in the playing eleven.

good luck to the boys for the 2nd game in progress.
i believe they can win it.

sadi
August 31, 2006, 08:11 AM
Academy lost by 52 runs.

Pak Academy 281/6</B> Over - 50 (Usman Saeed 129, Khurram Manzoor 89; Shafaq 2/48, Nazmul, Mehrab, Rajon 1 wkt each)
BD Academy 229</B> Over -45.1 (Mehrab 43 off 38, 63 off 78, Nadif 64 off 66)
2nd One Day match at Sialkot on 31 August 06 (Pakistan).

Result: BD Academy lost by 52 runs.

sadi
August 31, 2006, 08:11 AM
Someone scored 63... not sure who though

rudro
August 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
Pak Academy 281/6</B> Over - 50 (Usman Saeed 129, Khurram Manzoor 89; Shafaq 2/48, Nazmul, Mehrab, Rajon 1 wkt each)
BD Academy 229</B> Over -45.1 (Mehrab 43 off 38, 63 off 78, Nadif 64 off 66)

rudro
August 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
A Heart Breaker!

Rabz
August 31, 2006, 08:15 AM
Jahirul scored 63 of 78 balls.

too bad we lost again. hope they can redeem themselves on the next game.
good luck boys.

rudro
August 31, 2006, 08:18 AM
mehrab junior is a failure?? which series? in one day or 4-day matches??
cuz if u talking about 4-day games, i thought he scored 2 half centuries in 4 innings which should give him a healthey average of around 35-40 for the "test" series, keeping in mind i could not find the scores for the other two innings. plus he also got couple of wickets to compliment his runs.

and there had been only 1 one day game with the 2nd one going on right now. failing to score in the 1st match is not the failure for the series. lets see what he can do in the 2nd match.

and different players performing in different games should be a positive sign. that means we hv multiple potential match winners in the side and is not heavily reliant on ONE particular name. .

Agree, but my question was, why can't they perform well at least in two consecutive series? Remember we curse Ash for being inconsistent and we are looking for someone who can perform consistently.

TheWatcher
September 2, 2006, 10:23 PM
The third One Day match between Pakistan Academy Team and Bangladesh Academy Team at Gaddafi Stadium Lahore has been shifted from 2 September, 2006 to 3 September, 2006 due to inclement weather.

PCB Media Release
(http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Articles/4/4921.html)

SMHasan
September 3, 2006, 08:09 AM
Any update on the 3rd one day?

kaisermatin
September 3, 2006, 03:25 PM
what's are the results. hope some good batsmen comes out of it. we need to make serious batsmen. there is none except bashar.

SMHasan
September 3, 2006, 06:40 PM
Matin bhai

There is a specific thread to discuss about this (Bd academy and pak academy)so why opening another thread? Thanks.

SS
September 4, 2006, 11:21 AM
All loosers no game plan or even intention to improve. These young kids will follow the seniors path.

Rabz
September 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
All loosers no game plan or even intention to improve. These young kids will follow the seniors path.

mate u surely living up to your reputation of being the resident pessimist of BC.
Keep up the good work.

al Furqaan
September 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
shafaq...was economical giving away 48 when the whole team conceded well over 280. just hope he bowled his full quota

Sumon77
September 5, 2006, 12:05 AM
Anybody know the result of the 3rd ODI?

PoorFan
September 5, 2006, 12:34 AM
Anybody know the result of the 3rd ODI?
<!--StartFragment -->It has been washed away for rain couple of days ago.

Tigers_eye
September 5, 2006, 08:25 AM
I hope you are not saying about the players. Cause if you are, I would like to see your source. Have you communicated with them on a daily basis? Or you have some inside scoop. In that case please share. Just from the results one can not make those judgemental comments. Be Positive bhaijan.

Miraz
March 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
Grameen Phone is going to Sponsor National Academy. From now on it will be known as -"Grameenphone BCB National Cricket Academy"

13 March, 2007
The National Cricket Academy, so far run by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on its own, will now be called the Grameenphone BCB National Cricket Academy after the two organisations struck a deal on Tuesday.

Country's leading cellular phone operators Grameenphone, which will be the title sponsor of the academy, will provide the board 7.5 lakh US dollars for the next five years according to the contract.

"I must congratulate Grameenphone for coming forward for such a good deal because it is not so common that the corporate houses lend their hands for such kind of development activities," said BCB vice-president and chairman of Marketing Committee Aziz Al Kaiser Tito at a press conference.

"The cellular company has agreed to give the board US dollars 1.5 lakh per year. That means we would receive US$ 7.5 lakh (about 5.25 crore Taka) in five years. We have signed the deal for the next five years but we hope that it would be renewed in time," he added.

Under the agreement, Grameenphone will provide funds to assist in establishing and operating the academy programmes and each year an Academy Cup will be organised to select young cricketers from different age groups and divisions to nurture them under the programme for one year.

"Grameenphone is expanding its horizon towards nurturing young talents who will pave the way for excellence in the game for the future. We are extremely proud to be associated with the national team and now with this new academy," said Stein Naevdal, chief marketing officer of Grameenphone.

The BCB officials informed that their first target is to build a two-storied building for the academy with all the necessary facilities in Mirpur, home of Bangladesh cricket. The consultant agency, Bashat, official told that they will need around Tk 2.5 crore to prepare the house which would be completed in nine months after completion of tender processes.

Former Bangladesh cricket captain Khaled Mahmud, who is the operations manager of the academy, showed the aims and future programmes of the academy on projection.

"The main objective is to make a bridge in between national team and the under-19 team," he said.

BCB chief executive officer Mahmudur Rahman, Rubaba Dowla Matin, head of marketing of Grameenphone, and ASM Faruque, new chairman of BCB game development committee also spoke on the occasion.

Duck
March 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
Wow.........that is really encouraging and exemplary ......I hope others would come forward to do the same...........

Side note: Grameenphone, whatever money you looted from my pocket in the name of mobile phone bill, please give it back to the cricket. I will forgive you! :)

reverse_swing
March 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
Side note: Grameenphone, whatever money you looted from my pocket in the name of mobile phone bill, please give it back to the cricket. I will forgive you! :)

Beware of me! Ex GP guy here.:)