PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Bangladesh 'favourites' for tours

reverse_swing
July 19, 2006, 07:50 AM
Bangladesh are in bullish mood ahead of their one-day internationals in Zimbabwe and Kenya later this month. Their skipper Habibul Bashar insisted it would not be a surprise if his team were to win a one-day series for the first time on foreign soil. He said: "We have displayed a lot of improvement in recent times, so we are favourites for both series. We believe we have enough firepower." Coach Dav Whatmore warned: "We do need to adjust (to conditions) quickly." <!-- E SF --> Last year, Bangladesh defeated Zimbabwe 3-2 in a one-day series before going on to rout Kenya 4-0 in March to register their two home series victories to date. The first of five one-dayers against Zimbabwe is on 29 July before the tourists head to Kenya for a three-match series starting on 12 August.

-BBC>> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/5194842.stm)
<!-- E BO -->

akabir77
July 19, 2006, 08:19 AM
kool. ohh that's what it feels like to be favourite!!! I didn't know... new feeling hope it lasts....GO BD GO

SS
July 19, 2006, 08:49 AM
Bashar akta chagol...why he had to say we will win the series, when he does not know if he will score or his "star" performers will perform. With Bd team, nobody knows what happens. Instead he should have said how Dave said indirectly that we have better chance.

kalpurush
July 19, 2006, 10:26 AM
Shouldn't we win the both series?! Bashar is not a "Rajnitibid" thats for sure but, he is a changed man now with a lot of confidence as well he knows his players are far better than ever before. Though I believe we have to play hard and act responsibly.
Good luck and all the best-

AsifTheManRahman
July 19, 2006, 10:32 AM
i think we should give our cricketers a bit more than they currently get from us. after all, the win over sri lanka, the 4-0 drubbing of kenya and the performances against australia were all quite unexpected, and i think it is safe for us to have a little faith in the team and in what the captain has to say to the media.

not that there's no chance of him being proved wrong though.

Sauron
July 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
Their skipper Habibul Bashar insisted it would not be a surprise if his team were to win a one-day series for the first time on foreign soil. He said: "We have displayed a lot of improvement in recent times, so we are favourites for both series. We believe we have enough firepower." <!-- E BO -->

Bashar reminds me of our U-19 teams Pre-World Cup confidence. Over-confidence killed them in the match against England. Hope Bashar doesn't get too carried away.

Fazal
July 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
I like this team much more than any other teams in recent tours. Its a blend of in-form experienced players to stabilize the team and few new up-coming players to give them some experience and exposure.

Now there is just one minor controversy involving experienced players and that is inclusion of Gullu. But then again, for Gullu supporters, they also have valid points why he deserve to be in the team.

About predicting victory in advance by coach, captain or players in the press.... I have strong reservation about that. It doesn't do any good to the team; alternatively it can be used by the opponent to motivate them. Basically it’s a bulletin board material to opponent club-house.

Internally they should believe that they can beat any team, but there is no point announcing that in the press.

sadi
July 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
I like this team much more than any other teams in recent tours. Its a blend of in-form experienced players to stabilize the team and few new up-coming players to give them some experience and exposure.

Now there is just one minor controversy involving experienced players and that is inclusion of Gullu. But then again, for Gullu supporters, they also have valid points why he deserve to be in the team.

About predicting victory in advance by coach, captain or players in the press.... I have strong reservation about that. It doesn't do any good to the team; alternatively it can be used by the opponent to motivate them. Basically it’s a bulletin board material to opponent club-house.

Internally they should believe that they can beat any team, but there is no point announcing that in the press.

Its good to see you back on normal posting... feels a little weird... doesn't it?

FaridpurChicago
July 19, 2006, 11:45 AM
Sometimes over confidence is bad but you also need to have confidence too. Losing the game from heart before it starts doesn't help you win either. Australia declaring their ashes win will not do any harm to their team, rather it'll cheer up their players. Bashar isn't a politician and telling his mind. I don't see anything wrong in it. Most of the strong teams tell like this in their pre tour press conference. Bashar has no reason to feel weaker against Zim or Kenya.

SS
July 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
Agree but I want to see aggression from inside not through press
I am starting to dream again after a long break
Masrafee running with the new ball...ripping through top order
Shahadat with his bounce scare the hell out of the batsmen
Also wana see SN,Bash,Ash,Aftab scoring 50 regular basis.
Ah well i hope the dream comes true.

FaridpurChicago
July 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
SS, you wrote my dream. I hope our dreams see the reality. There's no reason the dream won't. SHUDHU VOROSHA PAI NA.

LateCut
July 19, 2006, 12:44 PM
I think our captain should be a little more tactful. On the eve of the BD tour, even Ponting was more restrained and it paid off. The 1st test would have been an even bigger embarrassment had he mouthed off.

Tigers_eye
July 19, 2006, 01:07 PM
Great point Latecut.
Just like shane Warne eating his humble pie in the 1st test 1st innings. I don't want bashar to big mouth in the public or to the media. He can do as much as he wants to in the locker room behind the close doors.

SS
July 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
a big ingredient of profressionalism is to take all opponents seriously and also restrain from irrelevant comments. But he is learning, even aussies have big mouth and also nowadays others who do sledging a lot. But Bashar is becomign agressive!!!

sadi
July 19, 2006, 02:17 PM
He didn't say much... all he said is we should win both series... all captains say like that in front of media...

TheWatcher
July 19, 2006, 02:21 PM
Over confidence is bad, but under confidence is not good either. Bashar just stated the fact that everyone (not only Bangladeshi fans) expects Bangladesh to win both of the ODI serieses.

FaridpurChicago
July 19, 2006, 03:03 PM
There's a different reason of Ponting being humble before the media in Bangladesh. He was highly criticised for his comments about our test status. He was trying to digest his early comments. Otherwise they don't do that.

kalpurush
July 20, 2006, 12:22 AM
New Basher...equipt with tiger's natural chracterstics - aggression and killer instinct. From now on thats how we will rule now.

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:QXV9c-fdCa_RdM:www.fotosearch.com/comp/DGV/DGV326/433026.jpg (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/DGV/DGV326/433026.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fotosearch.com/DGV326/433026/&h=300&w=212&sz=26&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=QXV9c-fdCa_RdM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtiger%2Bin%2Baggression%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

Rabz
July 20, 2006, 04:27 AM
listen, when Australia plays Bangladesh, they just dont need to talk at all. the difference in standard, quality and ability is soo soo massive that the Aussies would make a fool out of themselves if they try to bully us before the game begins..

But when they play against England or South Africa, the war of words starts months before from either sides, both try to gain mental supremacy and strength.

i think this was very well said by Bashar. He shows his confidence on the players and at the same time, tells them publicly what is expected of them. Now Zims and us are not a world apart in cricket world, and for the first time, we r the fav on their soil, so i think Bashar should be bullish and try to intimidate those inexperienced Zimbabweans. Nothing wrong with that.

Dav always would be more diplomatic, as he is much much older, a respected coach around the world. he cant just go around and talk big like players or captains. he is doing his part. and trust me, when Bashar comes out blazin his gun on the media, the silent man behind the act is Dave himself.

why should we talk the "menta menta gobechara" approach against a team were are expected to win and climb the icc ranking order..??

if anything the world champion Aussies have taught the cricketing world is their professional-ruthless-merciless approach on the opponent. after all, this is not a beauty contest, this is about winning the game. and everybody worships the winners.

Good on ya Bashar...

Rabz
July 20, 2006, 04:30 AM
oh..one more point i forgot to mention,
he gets to bully for the first time on a foreign soil
so let him enjoy his moment.

Andy-Flower
July 20, 2006, 06:26 AM
Its good to talk when you can back it up with action on the field but i think they might 've just let the pressure off Zim...

Konka33
July 20, 2006, 07:01 AM
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=135 I think there is nothing bullish in Bashar....he's just stating the facts.

israr
July 20, 2006, 08:11 AM
lets see what happens

al Furqaan
July 20, 2006, 11:58 AM
Agree but I want to see aggression from inside not through press
I am starting to dream again after a long break
Masrafee running with the new ball...ripping through top order
Shahadat with his bounce scare the hell out of the batsmen
Also wana see SN,Bash,Ash,Aftab scoring 50 regular basis.
Ah well i hope the dream comes true.

bhai, what have you done with the real SS?

Hatebreed
July 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
About time our tigers became the predator! :lol:

SS
July 20, 2006, 02:04 PM
israr...I kidnapped him for few days..till the series starts
when the series will start he will be released. His existence totally depends on the team. If the eleven don't shine, I have to let him go (