PDA

View Full Version : External: Rahim might get Mashud’s gloves

Fazal
July 19, 2006, 05:21 PM
"Bangladesh are sure to drop vice-captain Khaled Mashud for a few matches during the Zimbabwe and Kenya tour to give under-study Mushfiqur Rahim some valuable match practice, said chief selector Faruque Ahmed on Wednesday.
‘For us it is a luxury to play two wicketkeepers in the same match and that is unlikely to happen,’ he said dismissing the idea of picking both Mashud and Rahim in the same match like what happened in Test cricket earlier.
‘We are looking for somebody to take over from Pilot (Mashud). It makes sense in a number of ways. It makes sense to give him (Rahim) a game or two. We have to wait and see,’ coach Dav Whatmore echoed the same view indicating they are not going to depend on Mashud from now on. " - newAgeBD (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html#1)

I like it! At-last they are recognizing that we need to find a dependable backup wicket-keeper asap before the word cup in case something happens to Pilot at the last moment. Plus due to age related performance issues, Pilot may not be in the team beyond few more years. That’s why it’s so important to start grooming the backup wicket keeper by giving him some chance to play once in a while.
Now Rahim may or may not be the right person, we will see. But at-least I am happy that they are realizing that we need to address this backup wicketkeeper issue sooner than later.

Omio
July 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yes, It wud b a g8 opportunity for him. And zim and ken is weak team, so there is a good possiblity for Rahim to do something.

Mahmood
July 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
Its unfair to Pilot, as Rahim is more than likely to do well against weak teams like Kenya and Zimbabwe.

However, Pilot has been off form for a long time now, may be one two good innings here and there, about time we look for other options.

Rubu
July 19, 2006, 06:37 PM
Why rush so much? I don't get it.

al Furqaan
July 19, 2006, 07:11 PM
pilot is only 28-29...rahim could just be used as a sp batsman till pilot retires or is too poor to play.

afterall, rahim is prolly a better batsman right now, but can he match pilot's keeping abilities.

Mr-Cricket
July 19, 2006, 07:22 PM
Is Mashud only '28-29?' I assumed he was 30+, in which case this may have been a good idea.

But considering Mushifiqur is only 19, and Mashud still has a few good years left in him, I'm not so sure.

BagherBacha
July 19, 2006, 07:30 PM
[quote=al Furqaan]pilot is only 28-29...

pilot is 33 yrs old ..

cricket_pagol
July 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
According to cricinfo profile of khaled Mashud:
Born February 8, 1976, Rajshahi
Current age 30 years 162 days

Since Pilot made his debut in the mid 90's, my guess is that he is somewhere around 32-33yrs.

kalpurush
July 20, 2006, 01:02 AM
One or two matches might give Rahim a chance to shine thus Pilot a boost to be competitive and give a reminder that it is not easy to make position in the team like old days!

Aritro
July 20, 2006, 02:31 AM
One thing you have to say about Pilot is that he's quite a competent wicket keeper.

Anyone able to shed any light on what Rahim's keeping is like?

billah
July 20, 2006, 02:49 AM
We need a wicketkeeper, preferably one that can bat. Rahim is a good choice. Unfortunately, he is several years away from showing any real promise. I would not be surprised at all if we find him just discarded in those few years. His best shot at being the national wicketkeeper is to show promise in batting. If he bats well, only then we should polish his wicketkeeping skills. This is our reality with the batting woes. Let's see how he does. This will be interesting.

layperson
July 20, 2006, 02:54 AM
I think it is commendable move. You have to play Rahim to give him some exposure since we are loooking at him as a futue prospect and what better chance than against zimbabwe and kenya. Playing Rahim once in a while is not a bad idea at all since it will only motivate pilot to keep performing otherwise he might get axed. Also out team is not winning matches all the time so its not like we are breaking a winning combination so we can afford to try out one or two new players every now and then until we get a winning combination or at least line up the best we have.

Rabz
July 20, 2006, 04:04 AM
mate Pilot was 29 some 25 years ago.. :D
that guy has been playin in the national team since the dawn of the civilization..
my assumption is that he is around 35..

on the subject note.. it would be good to give Rahim a chance or two, just IN-CASE something happens to Pilot during or before the world cup.

and mind u one thing, even though i like the kid Rahim, he is very very well connected. He hails from Bogra and that happens to be the same town of our respected honourable (:confused: ) prime minister. no matter how much u deny, politics plays a very important role in our team selection. and it could be Adam Gilchrist keeping for us, still then Rahim would get a chance or two. but the kid does hv potential and it wont kill to try him against Kenya or Zimbabwe.

Miraz
July 20, 2006, 05:09 AM
That's a good positive move!!

We need someone who is a good wicketkeeper batsman, not simply a good wicketkeeper.

But again, its probably the wrong version of game. Rahim should be tested in test cricket, Pilot's ODI form is not that bad in recent years.

Sovik
July 20, 2006, 06:19 AM
It seems ok. Mushfiq Rahim needs exposures. If bd wins first matches then bd could select him for next 1 or 2 matches

Ejaj
July 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
His correct age is 33. I know that is for sure. He is the class mate of a friend of mine at Rajshahi.

sadi
July 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
Good move... it can't hurt to give him a game or two... even if he doesn't play, still a good move... he can be with the team and learn so much from pilot...

TheWatcher
July 20, 2006, 08:32 AM
His correct age is 33. I know that is for sure. He is the class mate of a friend of mine at Rajshahi.
33 years sounds about right. Still, considering Pilot's fitness, I think he has three more good years left in him.

Tigers_eye
July 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
Its unfair to Pilot, as Rahim is more than likely to do well against weak teams like Kenya and Zimbabwe.

However, Pilot has been off form for a long time now, may be one two good innings here and there, about time we look for other options.
No it is not unfiar to pilot. Both will face the same opponents and Pilot will get more opportunity. This move is great move. This move would not replace pilot but will identify a backup wicket keeper.

Sauron
July 20, 2006, 11:02 AM

I don't think it is a matter of fairness.

Mushfique-Pilot is not a competition. It is a relay race batton hand-off.

Instead of using Mushfique straight away against big opponents, this slow introduction will ease the eventual hand-off. Also, Pilot is still needed in the bigger games. So what other series will be better than this one to try the substitution.

SS
July 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
I thought Dhiman Ghosh was another opponent for Pilot's gloves. What happened to him?

al Furqaan
July 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
Mushfique-Pilot is not a competition. It is a relay race batton hand-off.

this is the greatest analogy i have seen on this board in my 2.5 years here.

it is not unfair...pilot is a great keeper...i highly doubt rahim can be that good now or ever. but what we need is a good keeper-bat. pilot is at best decent in that regard. rahim has all the batting ability to be a genuine top order batsman like Sangakkara/gilchrist et al.

even if he is our version of a lower middle order slog artist like Dhoni it wouldn't be too bad.

bottom line is that this is a GREAT move by the BCB and selectors.

Fazal
July 20, 2006, 04:10 PM
pilot is 28?

Bhaizan Pilot kon Rationer Chal Khai? Ami kichu Pete Pari?

Omio
July 20, 2006, 07:03 PM
ohh, pilot is 28?
ami aro vabsilam 18..lol

cricketboy
July 20, 2006, 08:21 PM
Pilot is 35 according to this website and I think this is correct. Pilot is playing for 15-16 years, so he should be atleast over 33-34.
http://www.bangla2000.com/Cricket/Cricketers_Career/Khaled_Masud.html
But stiill, Mushfique needs 1-2 years of domestic/BD A cricket to get ready and mature. The selectors may be right to include him as it will give him vital experience in playing in overseas conditions.

TheWatcher
July 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
Pilot is 35 according to this website and I think this is correct. Pilot is playing for 15-16 years, so he should be atleast over 33-34.
http://www.bangla2000.com/Cricket/Cricketers_Career/Khaled_Masud.html

Debut in 98, a fast bowler !!!

Looks like the website has confused Khaled Mashud with Khaled Mahmud :lol:

Rabz
July 21, 2006, 03:21 AM
Mashud hits back. Read the following article from Cricinfo.

Mashud relishes challenge of second 'keeper
Cricinfo staff
July 21, 2006
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=photo>http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/212316.jpg?alt=1
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo>Mashud has missed just three Tests and 13 ODIs in Bangladesh's cricket history <NOBR>© Getty Images</NOBR>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Khaled Mashud, Bangladesh's veteran wicketkeeper, has welcomed the challenge of a second wicketkeeper during the forthcoming ODI tours of Zimbabwe and Kenya. A regular behind the stumps for the last decade, Mashud was confident of what he could bring to the table despite the presence of the young Mushfiqur Rahim and criticism of his batting recently.
"I don't think my position in the team is at stake," he said. "I will definitely welcome if anybody throws a real challenge to me. Do you honestly think there is anybody who can replace me now? Yes, there is a whispering about my position ahead of the tours but I am not worried.
"I want to clear one thing that I will not stay for a single day in the national team if everybody thinks that I have very little left to serve the side," Mashud added. "I don't want to stay without respect. It's my lifelong dream to say goodbye international cricket with my head high."
He hinted, though, that the selectors' decision to include two wicketkeepers for just eight ODIs was an indecisive one. "It is not my duty to comment on team selection. The selectors must have some plan and only they can say better," he said. "I think if any new boy is to be tested it should have been done during a relatively easier home series against Kenya. However, you can't reach a conclusion about someone's potential after watching him against a team like Zimbabwe and Kenya because the real challenge always lies against the big teams."
Mashud, with 41 Tests and 112 one-day internationals, has been widely recognised as a committed cricketer. However, a recent dip in form with the bat, at both the domestic and international levels, has raised voices over his importance in the side. He admitted his batting against Australia recently was not his best but refused to call the curtain on his contributions to the side. "I don't think my batting was very poor," he said. "I failed to serve against Australia but how many were successful against the number one team? Nowadays wicketkeepers play a very important part as an allrounder and I also need to perform."
Mashud's own expectations of the upcoming series remained simple. "I am determined to perform well during the series. I know performance is the key to keep my place in the team," he said. "If I can perform, nobody will dare dropping me. In my career I have played for small clubs on most occasions and that have not played any part behind my selection for the national team. I was picked because of the performance."
© Cricinfo
(source: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh/content/story/254051.html )

PoorFan
July 21, 2006, 03:38 AM
Hehehe .. Mashud should have talked less, because it's obvious' who is the best keeper' in Bangladesh at this moment. Moreover his comment should have focused on 'giving experience' to new one, and that's would have enough.

bapzmania
July 21, 2006, 04:05 AM
pilot u need to prove that u r best but let me tell u keeping ability of ur's much betta than musfiq but when it comes to batting u r so far from musfiq...mushfiq will get some chacne...

bapzmania
July 21, 2006, 04:05 AM
pilot u need to prove that u r best but let me tell u keeping ability of ur's much betta than musfiq but when it comes to batting u r so far from musfiq...mushfiq will get some chacne...i hope..........

Miraz
July 21, 2006, 04:46 AM
How Pilot was so open in criticising strategy of team management ??

"I think if any new boy is to be tested it should have been done during a relatively easier home series against Kenya. However, you can't reach a conclusion about someone's potential after watching him against a team like Zimbabwe and Kenya because the real challenge always lies against the big teams."

Pilot may face problem due to breach of code of conduct. I read a similar report in DS.

Few of his comments

Do you honestly think there is anybody who can replace me now?

"If I can perform, nobody will dare dropping me."

Mashud is a bit more aggressive than actually required.

nannu
July 21, 2006, 05:38 AM
it was not nice from pilot to threating for retire if anybody else get his place. it is so rude. managemaent should exclude him only for the sake of unity.

nannu

mohd azam
July 21, 2006, 06:21 AM
It is a very good desicion by selecter
becouz we should test young player for futur
we cont say i masud fall sick we need anther weicketkeeper

sadi
July 21, 2006, 09:18 AM
Sounds kinda arrogant to me. He might feel a little insecure seeing Mushfiq in the team but he shouldn't be skeptical about it and share his valuable experience with mushi.

Sauron
July 21, 2006, 09:57 AM
Doh!!

Everything was fine until Pilot's response. Why does he take it so personally? And even if he does, why does he spread it to the press?

This could be a bad distraction for the team, if Pilot takes it any further.

He should just perform to his best and leave the rest to coach/selector/public-opinion.

Tigers_eye
July 21, 2006, 11:19 AM
You guys are over analyzing pilot's comment. Quoting one line does not get the right picture. Read Sydney's post #27 again. What he said was just fine. To justify his comments further I wanted to know the questions those were asked. But the questions were no where to be found. But I can imagine the questions were designed to create a rift/ controversy or make it a bulletien board material.

Miraz
July 21, 2006, 11:28 AM
What he said was just fine. To justify his comments further I wanted to know the questions those were asked. But the questions were no where to be found. But I can imagine the questions were designed to create a rift/ controversy or make it a bulletien board material.

Can't agree with you. He is a professional and should be able to tackle question within code of conduct.

'dare to drop' 'is there anybody?' and 'should have been tested in easier home series'
These are really unprofessional words from Pilot.

Fazal
July 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
Over analyzing or under analyzing, one thing is clear in my mind and that is: Pilot is in no mood to be a good mentor or helping hand to his young backup.

At this stage, Rahim is no way challenging Pilot's spot. Too bad Pilot doesn't see this move as that way. For players like Bashar, Gullu and Rafique and Pilot, I was hoping that in their current stage, they would be more helpful in mentoring the younger players in the team.

AsifTheManRahman
July 21, 2006, 12:04 PM
You guys are over analyzing pilot's comment. Quoting one line does not get the right picture. Read Sydney's post #27 again. What he said was just fine. To justify his comments further I wanted to know the questions those were asked. But the questions were no where to be found. But I can imagine the questions were designed to create a rift/ controversy or make it a bulletien board material.

I agree. I wouldn't look too much into those comments - things do get lost in translation, and the media earns a living by twisting stuff. there are better things we should be worried about atm, whitewashing zimbabwe being one.

desirocker
July 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
[বাংলা][/i think pilot wont lose his position

thebest
July 21, 2006, 09:40 PM
Over analyzing or under analyzing, one thing is clear in my mind and that is: Pilot is in no mood to be a good mentor or helping hand to his young backup.

At this stage, Rahim is no way challenging Pilot's spot. Too bad Pilot doesn't see this move as that way. For players like Bashar, Gullu and Rafique and Pilot, I was hoping that in their current stage, they would be more helpful in mentoring the younger players in the team.

That's the point
Rafiq is already proved that he is not a good mentor. Now Pilot also prove that, just when I was starting to forgiveing him for 2003 fiasco,

Hatebreed
July 22, 2006, 01:12 AM
hahaha now Pilot will do his best to perform better and secure his place in the team for another 10 years... He is undoubtedly our best keeper but some of those statements are unnecessary coming from a vastly experienced professional cricketer.

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
July 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
Khaled Mashud pilot Or Mushfiqur Rahim...........whoever it will be...i wont mind..just wanna see backward catches not dropped and not struggling as batsman..thats it!

mhferdaus
July 22, 2006, 09:47 PM
Pilot might be also dropped for nari kelenkari, but that is only rumour not sure, papers do not always print the truth.

Rabz
July 23, 2006, 04:57 AM
i reckon Pilot is finding himself in newer grounds ( being challenged for his position). as a result, he just doenst know how to respond to that. if thats the case, it is very unfortunate on his part. he is supposed to be one of our best, most experienced player. he should hv known better.

shamster
July 23, 2006, 05:38 AM
competition is the key - survival of the best

BangladeshFan
July 23, 2006, 06:33 AM
from that article , i cant see a problem with what pilot said. he just said, he deserves his place if he performs and he will resign when he cant contribute anymore. thats very sensible.i think he is also right when he said that players should be compared by their performance against stronger teams. it would be a good idea to play pilot and rahim in alternate matches and see how they perform.