PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe warming up for Bangladesh

TheWatcher
July 20, 2006, 11:37 AM
Zimbabwe sure doing everything possible to get in tune for Bangladesh-

THE Zimbabwe cricket squad has left for South Africa, to play in four warm-up matches ahead of the incoming tour by Bangladesh.

The squad comprises captain Prosper Utseya, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Trevor Garwe, Ryan Higgins, Friday Kasteni, Blessing Mahwire, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Tafadzwa Mufambisi, Tawanda Mupariwa, Piet Rinke, Vusumuzi Sibanda and Brendan Taylor.

The officials are coach Kevin Curran, his assistant Walter Chawaguta, analyst Mluleki Nkala, fitness trainer Dean Woodford and physiotherapist Amato Machikicho.

The Zimbabwe side will be based at the High Performance Centre in Pretoria, where they will play four one-day matches.

The first is on Friday against the South Africa Academy, the second on Sunday against Lions (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/NATIONAL/RSA/FC_TEAMS/LIONS/), the third on Monday against the Academy and the final on Wednesday against Lions (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/NATIONAL/RSA/FC_TEAMS/LIONS/).

All Africa (http://allafrica.com/stories/200607200140.html)

Well, their players were playing club cricket in England for the last two months, now they are getting chances to play warm up matches in SA. We should expect them to be in good shape.

On a side note, since the Zim national team won't be back in their country before the 26th, I guess the Zim-A team, that playing in the practice match against us, will be a [] one.

Miraz
July 20, 2006, 11:48 AM
Where is Terry Duffin, the captain for WI tour?

TheWatcher
July 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
Where is Terry Duffin, the captain for WI tour?
Good question. They are also missing their one promising pacer- Edward Rainsford.

israr
July 20, 2006, 01:30 PM
whatever they do, we should be able to win the series quite convincingly

SS
July 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
That's how opponent prepares for themselves.
And how we got prepared nobody played in any leagues. We just complained no more matches and sit our a** and before leaving made a bold statement.
BCB could not made any arrangements for the prep of this tour.

Fazal
July 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
Warming up too soon in hot African Weather may not be a good strategy. I think we will be fine.

MartinW
July 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
Good question. They are also missing their one promising pacer- Edward Rainsford.

Duffin has club commitments in England and will only arrive after this weekend's matches, so he may feature in the A team.

I am assured that Rainsford will not be joining the side as he plans staying in the UK until December, but that is as yet unconfirmed. If so, then Zimbabwe have lost their best bowler.

Miraz
July 20, 2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Martin for the information. Do you have any idea about Kevin Curren's recent England tour to approach senior players and convince them to play for Zimbabwe again??

Omio
July 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
hope they will have some good practise to compete us,

kalpurush
July 20, 2006, 11:55 PM
I wish if we could arranged some more practice matches just only for the new members of the national team!

cricket_pagol
July 21, 2006, 12:39 AM
The biggest weakness of this zimbo team is their lack of experience. If bangladesh does not win all the matches then it will be disappointing for me.

chinaman
July 21, 2006, 12:40 AM
I wish they had their stronger arms in Streak, Tatenda and other experienced folks. Would have been a mouth watering prospect. I miss those guys. Last time we visited there, rain played a huge part and this time, well, I don't know exactly what it is.

Someone wrote Parreira had solutions but he was afraid to use them. I guess Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean fans were not considered when someone somewhere remains afraid :(

Sam
July 21, 2006, 01:37 AM
Warming up too soon in hot African Weather may not be a good strategy. I think we will be fine.
It is winter in that part of Africa:)

Sam
July 21, 2006, 01:46 AM
I wish if we could arranged some more practice matches just only for the new members of the national team!
If you consider Mushfiqur Rahim, Farhad and Sakib as "the new members", they already have month-long practice with the strongest Zim A team, which contain many from the announced National Zim Team.

Sam
July 21, 2006, 01:52 AM
whatever they do, we should be able to win the series quite convincingly
Probably you echoed the upbeat sentiment of DW:
"We are leaving as a favorite ... anybody can predict 5-0 series victory in favor of Bangladesh, Actually it's a good opportunity for Bangladesh".
AP/Foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/cricket/story/5799396)

Andy-Flower
July 21, 2006, 02:14 AM
Zim bowling attack is weak and BD should exploit it..Mahwire is very expensive, Chibhabha & Rinke are more of part time bowlers...We might be forced to bring Antony Ireland who is arguable the fastest bowler in Zim, he is struggling for form at the moment.If BD attack Mpariwa up front then you will be well poised for a BIG total, you will have to contend with Higgins{young leg spinner} and Utseya who will definetly give you problems coz not even Australia could play him well when they came here. He has a good economy rate and very consistent, the only weakness he has is that he doesnt take many wickets.

Kurran failed to convince the likes of Taibu and Panyangara to come back coz they still maintain their anti-Chingoka stance.

ialbd
July 21, 2006, 06:11 AM
Antony Ireland, how fast is he? Where does he play?
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W124 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W124)

Andy-Flower
July 21, 2006, 07:09 AM
some club in the UK...145km/hr consistently when he started

BangladeshFan
July 21, 2006, 04:10 PM
i think bd should use a all young team and see how it works. i guess it will be an under 24/25 team but just as strong as the national team. 2 nafis to open, keep aftab at 3(he may fail sometimes but keeping him there will increase his confidence), ash at 4 (if he cant perform against zimbo/kenya then why is he there), replace bashar with someone younger like sakib (bd got plenty coming up now), replace pilot with rahim(better batsman). only one whose replacement may truly hurt is rafiq.

p.s. these replacements should not be permanent, but it will show some intent, also will kick the old asses and let them know that none has their place permanent unless he performs.

israr
July 21, 2006, 04:20 PM
hey friends, don't pretend to take Zimbabwe that lightly as you're all are, this is going to be quite a significant series, in terms of our ranking and in terms of how much we've progessed as well as in terms of the gulf between the no.9 and no.10 side.

TheWatcher
July 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Taylor believes UK making him a better player

Zimbabwe Independent (http://www.thezimbabweindependent.com/viewinfo.cfm?linkid=13&id=4315)

Report Excerpt:

ZIMBABWE cricketer Brendan Taylor believes he is gaining vital experience from playing club cricket in England.

Taylor, who joined Lancashire First Division club Sefton Park (actually, it is a premier division club in the Liverpool league) following a tour of the West Indies with Zimbabwe a few months ago, is with a Zimbabwe select side on an eight-day tour of South Africa.

The league in Lancashire is "very competitive", Taylor said, adding: "Everything is different there. The pitches are a lot different. The weather is different."

His footwork, which has been a talking point of his batting technique in his young career, has undergone improvement.

"My foot movement had to adjust a bit. The wickets are slow, so you have to wait a bit longer for the ball, and you have to judge well. The ball swings a bit. It made it harder for me, but I’m happy that it helped me to judge the pitch of the ball better."

His average of around 60, is the highest at the club, so far in the season. He has missed a century by a single run, being dismissed for 99 runs in one of his seven matches.

"My average is where I want it to be," he said. "But I want to get bigger scores, not getting in and getting out. I want to convert those scores into bigger ones."

He says of the Bangladesh matches: "It’s going to be an even contest. Bangladesh have shown to be a side improving all the time. They have kept their players, while we keep introducing youngsters. They do have a few players who stand out. It’s just that they are a different side away from home where conditions are different. That is where it could work in our favour."

The Zimbabwean side had nets practice soon after arriving here on Wednesday, and yesterday. They had a chance to use bowling machines at the HPC, a world-class facility incorporating almost all sporting disciplines. The SA Academy is based there.

TheWatcher
July 24, 2006, 01:28 AM
Zimbos lost the match against SA Academy by nine wickets, even though they won the match against Highveld Lions Academy by seven wickets. Well, this hardly makes them a top class team.

Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/254295.html)

Rabz
July 24, 2006, 02:54 AM
let the Zimbabweans warm up, when they'll play against us, we'll cool them down.
begin the hunting season, the TIGER is hungry.

Andy-Flower
July 24, 2006, 03:23 AM
Zimbos lost the match against SA Academy by nine wickets, even though they won the match against Highveld Lions Academy by seven wickets. Well, this hardly makes them a top class team.

Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/254295.html)

yea mayne^^^agree

israr
July 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
but still beware, they might turn out to be completely different against us in their own backyard, so no underestimating Zimbabwe.!!

Rabz
July 24, 2006, 08:41 AM
no one is underestimating them, its just that we want a white wash..
that all
well..id accept a 4-1 also

Ahmed_B
July 24, 2006, 08:57 AM
I have a feeling that it's time for Zimbabwe to experience the doze of 'New Bangladesh'! :)

You guys remember the frustrated face of Tikolo after 3/4 matches in the very recent series? On the midway of the tour... Tikolo, highly depressed by the knockdowns, had ot admit that 'This is a completely new Bangladesh and BD has gone miles ahead of KEN already in the past few years!

Best of luck to the tigers! I am pretty much hopefull! :)

SS
July 24, 2006, 09:51 AM
I admit we are "new Bangladesh" but we are not "super Bdesh"
look at recent ZimbA's performance against our A team. Their improvement is noticeable and last match they score almost 270+ runs.

It will be a fair contest with both being favorites.

Sam
July 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
Zimbabweans bounce back in South Africa
Cricinfo staff
July 24, 2006
Zimbabweans 166 for 3 (Chibhabha 55) beat Highveld Lions Academy 165 (Utseya 4-25) by seven wickets
The touring Zimbabweans thrashed Highveld Lions Academy by seven wickets at the High Performance Centre in Pretoria, two days after being drubbed by nine wickets by the South African National Academy.
The Zimbabweans bounced back well, and led from the front by skipper and offspinner Prosper Utseya with 4 for 25 from 10 overs, they bowled out the Academy for 165 runs. Spinners shared eight wickets, with Friday Kasteni chipping in with three and offspinner Stuart Matsikenyeri taking one.
Chamu Chibhabha and Vusi Sibanda got the Zimbabweans off to a good start with an opening stand of 85 before Sibanda was caught by Nicolson at short extra cover. Chibhabha completed his half-century before chipping a return catch for 55, but Piet Rikne (32) and Brendan Taylor (25) held their nerves and scored steadily. Rinke was bowled by Craig Knox with Zimbabwe needing 12 to win.

SS
July 24, 2006, 01:50 PM
As Sam said "action speaks louder than words"
Here's our lesson not to talk too much rather prove it and then say it. They beat a SA cricket team!!! So, they are doing really good.
Zimb is developing team and their dedications are more prominent than ours.
Still remember Taibu,being in his twenties, playing more sensibly than rest of our players including captain.

kalpurush
July 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
As Sam said "action speaks louder than words"
Here's our lesson not to talk too much rather prove it and then say it. They beat a SA cricket team!!! So, they are doing really good.
Zimb is developing team and their dedications are more prominent than ours.
Still remember Taibu,being in his twenties, playing more sensibly than rest of our players including captain.

We won though!? And it is already proved...we are a better team now. Doesn't matter how good Taibu played...he lost the series!! We will do it again...this time in their soil.;)

TheWatcher
July 24, 2006, 05:01 PM
They beat a SA cricket team!!! So, they are doing really good.
Yeah, but they also lost to another SA team very pathetically :lol:

If you are wondering how strong is the SA Academy team, here is an article (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/243168.html). This boys can't be more mature than our boys in the BCCB Academy.

kalpurush
July 24, 2006, 08:08 PM
I admit we are "new Bangladesh" but we are not "super Bdesh"
look at recent ZimbA's performance against our A team. Their improvement is noticeable and last match they score almost 270+ runs.

It will be a fair contest with both being favorites.

We are in process to be "super Bdesh" in few years for sure...

akabir77
July 24, 2006, 09:15 PM
I see two problems
one zimbo weather and
two BD not playing for some time...
Which makes two teams pretty much the same...

PoorFan
July 24, 2006, 10:20 PM
The 'key' for BD result in this Africa series is 'concentration'. I am sure BD will lose concentration after taking lead of couple of games in this series, which will threat our series win in the middle, let alone our dream of whitewash. Given the bangla style of 'concentration' we have in the cricket team, I hardly can think of a series win, hope they prove me wrong.

Flipper
July 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well, we are worried all right against this Zimbabwe team. But, I think we were more worried against Kenya this year. Don't youn think? There were more threads...we will lose to Kenya 3-0...etc.

HereWeGo
July 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
Sean Williams is playing for the Zimbabwe team. This is a great news. I would love if they can bring back the likes of taibu, rainsford etc. I mean the stronger the better. It is more fun to celebrate a win against a strong Zimbabwe team than against a team that is worst than our academy team. Lets hope for a good fight and a good series. Cant wait. Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh/content/story/254371.html

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 12:22 AM
agree with@ here we go ... wud luv to play with a much competitive and stronger opponent with the likes of streak, taibu and other *better* zim players.

Andy-Flower
July 25, 2006, 12:57 AM
Sean Williams is playing for the Zimbabwe team. This is a great news. I would love if they can bring back the likes of taibu, rainsford etc. I mean the stronger the better. It is more fun to celebrate a win against a strong Zimbabwe team than against a team that is worst than our academy team. Lets hope for a good fight and a good series. Cant wait. Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh/content/story/254371.html

Sean has gone back to his UK club and wont be playing in this coming series..Rainsford is still playing for Zim only that he is at his club and its not yet clear whether he be playing against BD. Taibu well thats another story.:D

PoorFan
July 25, 2006, 02:28 AM
Hey Andy-Flower, are you going to the ground of BD's practice match tomorrow? ... thought, it will be nice to have some comment from you ( from a Zimbabwean view ) on that match.

Andy-Flower
July 25, 2006, 04:31 AM
i'll be busy in the morning but i'll try to go around 2 oclock Zim time..if the game lasts that long ;) will fill you up if a get a chance to, man

PoorFan
July 25, 2006, 05:17 AM
Thank's Andy, I am sure BD having tough time against Zim A at that time.
... wait! you are not expecting Zim A to finish the match by that time right?:o

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 05:24 AM
thanks mate..we wil be looking forward to your update

TheWatcher
July 25, 2006, 01:31 PM
Masakadza inspires Zimbabwe win
Cricinfo staff
July 24, 2006

Zimbabwe Select XI 284 for 6 (Masakadza 118, Chigumbura 52) beat South African Academy 283 (Elgar 100, Sodumo 58) by one run

Hamilton Masakadza showed inspired form as he led the Zimbabwe select side to a one-run victory in a thrilling against the South African Academy at the High Performance Centre in Pretoria. Masakadza hit 118 at No. 3 before bowling a nerveless final over as the South African Academy couldn't find the 12 required from the final over.

Masakadza added 109 runs with Elton Chigumbura who contributed a useful 52 off just 43 balls. Chigumbura batted with his trademark aggression but after hitting a six over long-on perished next ball as he tried to clear the boundary again, off the bowling of seamer Farhad Behardien.

The Academy responded with aplomb as they tried to chase down the total. The first wicket stand between Riel De Kock and Dean Elgar (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/230852.html) brought 122 runs from 24 overs. The Zimbabweans' skipper Prosper Utseya, the offspinner who impressed in West Indies, found the breakthrough was De Kock was caught at deep mid-wicket by Sibanda.

The Academy keeper, Abongile Sodumo (58), batted briskly before Masakadza's took the first of two crucial wickets. Dean Elgar, their other opener, marched on and looked set to win the match for the South Africans. But shortly after reaching a well-paced century, Tawanda Mupariwa sent his middle stamp flying and the balance shifted.

As the match moved down to the wire Utseya took a stunning catch at at long-on and the Academy needed 12 to win, but the Zimbabweans were unable to use their pace bowlers due to fading light. However, Masakadza held his nerve with the final six balls and completed a fine allround day to edge the Zimbabwe side home.

*Well, Zimbabwe's batting strength seemed to be not so bad.

sadi
July 25, 2006, 01:39 PM
hmmm zimbabwe is doing quite well... should we be a little worried??

SS
July 25, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yes we should!
South African cricket academy might be a regular county like team, but their players have experience playing SA leagues. Main concerns are few players. And by this time you guys should know those performers. Because they are consistent. Matsikenyeri, Masakadza, Chighumbura, Sibanda playing exceptionally cosnsistent. Yes they key is not flamboyant stroke playing but playing for the team and scoring RUNS. I will wait to see the practice game, and then we will know how are "star talented" batsmen can do with them.
Now we don't need talent we need performance and consistent runs for a health total.
Zimb learning curve is way steeper than us, as these young players are very inexperienced but look how they can come back to the game after loosing a match.

TheWatcher
July 25, 2006, 03:56 PM
Let's hope Masakadza is the Tushar Imran of Zimbabwe (even though I am not sure how Tushar would fare against Bangladesh).

Anyway, Zimbabwe's main strength is clearly their batting. Still I think our bowlers are more than capable of containing Zimbos within reasonable scores. So, if our batsmen plays sensibilly, I don't see why we should not win every match.

SMHasan
July 25, 2006, 07:29 PM
We need to play some sensible cricket to beat them although it won't be that easy. We should take this tour seriously and our aim should be to topple the weakest giant of all :)

Andy-Flower
July 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
Thank's Andy, I am sure BD having tough time against Zim A at that time.
... wait! you are not expecting Zim A to finish the match by that time right?:o

HA HA HA :lol: HA :lol: Zim A will probably loose by 10 wickets or at least 200 runs cuz i dont think we have the sort of players to match the Tigers in the country at the moment...

Rabz
July 26, 2006, 01:28 AM
HA HA HA :lol: HA :lol: Zim A will probably loose by 10 wickets or at least 200 runs cuz i dont think we have the sort of players to match the Tigers in the country at the moment...

oh..u r so optimist about ur chances mate
( or may be u r just waiting for us to make a mistake so that u can swing ur bat :p )

PoorFan
July 26, 2006, 01:59 AM
<!--StartFragment -->Now I am <!--StartFragment -->relieved.:)

Though I hope BD will win this match but definitely not by that margin. This series is a long waited series for all of us, and we are looking forward for the performance of both team. This practice match could be the only indicator to judge the strength of both team at this moment.

Andy-Flower
July 26, 2006, 05:01 AM
oh..u r so optimist about ur chances mate
( or may be u r just waiting for us to make a mistake so that u can swing ur bat :p )

not at all man...i honestly think you will beat Zim A by a huge margin...but i dont think you will win 5-0 against the national side like most people have been saying, You might win it 3-2 all the games going down to the wire..my prediction is a 3-2 in favour of Zim --->at least i said it before the games start..thats what i think yo!;)

Rabz
July 26, 2006, 05:15 AM
and u hv the right to support your country...
so good luck..
but hey.. we gonna win the series

TheWatcher
July 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
Taylor ends tour on a high
A special correspondent
July 27, 2006

Zimbabweans 154 for 4 (Taylor 44*, Matskikenyeri 42) v South Africa National Academy 153 (de Kock 35, Matsikenyeri 3-18, Rinke 3-28) by six wickets

The Zimbabweans completed their short tour of South Africa with a six-wicket win over the South Africa National Academy at Pretoria's High Performance Centre on Wednesday.

Following their one-run win of the same opponents on Monday, the Zimbabweans bowled out the Academy for 153 runs inside 44.2 overs on a moist track that was not particularly batsman-friendly. Missing Hamilton Masakadza, who had gone back to university in the Eastern Province, the Zimbabweans were led by offspinner Stuart Matsikenyeri (3 for 18) and medium pacer Piet Rinke (3 for 28).

Blessing Mahwire took Zimbabwe's first wicket in the sixth over when skipper Prosper Utseya held on to a backtracking catch on the boundary to remove opener Heino Kuhn for 13 runs. Zimbabwe wicketkeeper Brendan Taylor produced the first of his four stumpings for Zimbabwe in the 16th as Blake Snijman missed a delivery from Rinke.

Rinke put the Zimbabweans on top two balls later, bowling opener Riel de Kock for 35. Unsettled by the loss of the wickets, the Academy did not add a run for two overs until Utseya struck for the first time when Dominic Tello was stumped by Taylor. The Utseya/Taylor combination brought the fifth wicket for Zimbabwe, that of allrounder Robert Frylink for 1. Dean Elgar (31), who scored a century for the Academy on Monday, had looked to stabilise the innings but fell in after 37.4 overs when Taylor stumped him off Matsikenyeri. Leggie Ryan Higgins had Keagan Afrika caught by Mahwire at deep extra cover, and Matsikenyeri and Rinke cleaned up the tail.

The Zimbabweans started sluggishly, reaching 41 for 3 Chamu Chibhabha (17) was caught and bowled by Craig Alexander, Rinke was caught at first slip by Abongile Sodumo for 4 and Tino Mawoyo, batting for the first time on the tour, soon followed, caught at mid-off by Hillroy Paulse, off Frylink for 12.

Taylor kept the scoreboard ticking over and got good support from Matskikenyeri before Matskikenyeri fell for 42, edging left-arm spinner De Kock to Snijman in the gully.

Taylor, who was unbeaten with a top score of 44, batted on with Sibanda to win the game for the Zimbabwe. They targeted offspinner Coertzee, both hitting a six and a four each in the 38th over and completing the win in the 41st over.

© Cricinfo

sadi
July 27, 2006, 12:16 PM
So masakadza out for the tour? love it ;)

SS
July 27, 2006, 12:26 PM
Do you guys feeling the heat and tension ...or it just me. battle of the minnows getting interesting.
Zimb team ended up doing well in practice matches with SA. I wish we had few more matches like that and also little more time to adjuct. I don't think we got adequate time for practice.

Fazal
July 27, 2006, 12:31 PM
Me too. Even George Bush is feeling the heat and tension

http://lmno4p.org/images/7.4/bush_is_sweating.jpg