PDA

View Full Version : Athar Ali Khan in Hot Water

cricman
July 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
If you don't wanna read it it basicly says Ash and Bashar got ripped of by Athar Ali on there new Reebox endorsements and that he took more money money in commision than he should have.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will investigate the allegation of selector Athar Ali Khan's involvement in a deal of two national cricketers to get financial benefit from the contract, reports BDNEWS.

"The BCB would investigate into the allegation against him (Athar) raised by a few national dailies Saturday," BCB acting General Secretary Rafiqul Islam Babu said.

He said the BCB working committee meeting scheduled for Sunday will discuss the matter and probably launch an investigation. "If the allegation is found to be true, the BCB will take initiative as per its policy," he added.

The UK-based sports company Reebok recently struck a deal with Bangladesh skipper Habibul Bashar and star batsman Mohammad Ashraful for three years, to be effective from the upcoming Bangladesh's tour of Zimbabwe in later part of July.

But, it was reported that selector Athar Ali, who is sole distributor of Reebok in Bangladesh, was involved in the process and took a certain percentage as commission from the cricketers for helping them to sign such a deal.

Athar Ali's involvement in the undeclared amount of the deal is being seen as "unethical" as a selector while picking up cricketers could always be biased towards the players he dealt with in signing a deal.
However, Athar denied the reports involving him in the deal. "I saw the reports, but all those are false allegations. I have informed Mamun Bhai (Reazuddin Al Mamun, joint secretary, BCB), and talked to my lawyer for next course of action."

"How could I get financial benefit from the deal as I myself is the agent of Reebok in Bangladesh. It could have been if I am not the agent. A company directly deals with players for this kind of deals," he said.

http://www.financialexpress-bd.com/index3.asp?cnd=7/23/2006&section_id=25&newsid=31901&spcl=no

HawkEye000
July 22, 2006, 12:54 PM
Actually it said that it is unethical of Athar to be involved in the deal as he is a selector.
It means he would be biased towards Bashar and Ash and would do things to make sure they play for Bangladesh national team during the next 3 years, as he is a direct beneficiary if they play with the reebok bats (extra revenue from his store sales).

* don't think the report was talking abt Athar ripping off Ash and Bashar

TheWatcher
July 22, 2006, 02:59 PM
The newspaper reports that accusing Athahar Ali looked baseless to me. At this point, it is nothing but an assumption that Athahar took comission as the Reebok's sole agent in Bangladesh.

Anyway, it is good to see that BCCB took the initiative to clear up their image this time.

Shafi
July 22, 2006, 03:39 PM
I hope he's as clean as a vergin :(

Rabz
July 23, 2006, 04:43 AM
nothing's probably gonna happen to him..
things wud be all under the table before we know it..

Miraz
July 23, 2006, 03:57 PM
Athar and another selector seems tol be in some trouble after Amar Desh's todays report

Report (http://amardesh.u46.futurecrafts.com/detail_news_index.php?NewsID=43080&NewsType=bistarito&SectionID=home)

One real intersting information today received from one of my journalist friend who is a leading sports journalist.

Pilot is behind these reports which are published in 'Amar Desh', he is making sure he is not axed from the side.

I do not know about the authenticity but seems to be .....

Something really worrying about Bangladesh cricket ahead of a crucial tour.

TheWatcher
July 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
One real intersting information today received from one of my journalist friend who is a leading sports journalist.

Pilot is behind these reports which are published in 'Amar Desh', he is making sure he is not axed from the side.
I won't be surprised if your friend is right on this issue. The amount of attention Pilot received from Bangladesh media on a silly issue last week was simply amazing, he seemed to be well connected.

SMHasan
July 23, 2006, 10:00 PM
Gentlemen,

Don't believe what you see in the newspaper believe what you observe directly. Thats why I don't believe this story. There are too many newspaper in bd right now.

kalpurush
July 24, 2006, 12:15 AM
Who knows what's true or not now a days in Bangladeshi media?! My mom is confused too!!

Rabz
July 24, 2006, 04:26 AM
who knows may be this is a personal feud between Atahar and Pilot.
they probably had a personal thing goin on, and both vowed to show each other what they can do.
Atahar being the main selector certainly holds the upper hand
but Pilot is showing he is no minnow either

just hope it doesnt get any ugly situation.

Fazal
July 24, 2006, 12:27 PM
My mom is confusied too!!

Ta holey to Vharii Chinter Kotha.:(

kalpurush
July 24, 2006, 02:06 PM
Fazal bhai: You are right. Khub-e chinter kotha...:confused: